Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kershaw Cinder: Thoughts

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Kershaw Cinder: Thoughts
on: November 28, 2017, 10:32:22 PM
So I'm a big cheap and cheerful guy. Not so much as in off brand, but I end up with a lot of value point products from quality brands. Last trip to the sporting goods store in town resulted in me snagging the little Kershaw that was hanging by the exit.

Not a new model, but only the second time I've seen them stocked. For 9.99 I really liked the look of it for my work keys.

Popped it out of the package and really liked the feel of it for the size. It has a nice detent to keep it from opening while in your pocket, a thumbstud to make it OHO, and a solid Frame/Liner lock that is free from any play.

It's a Hinderer design, and a design that allows it to get the most from its diminutive size. The blade shape and angle at which it sits allows you to get the most out of the cutting edge, which is less than 2" I believe.

Off the keys the knife is small enough that it can feel a bit fiddly to open and operate. I dont think I would much care for it in use as a stand alone folder. But on my light lanyard keyring I love it. I put my pinky through the keyring and let my fingers fall into the grooves in the handle it gives a really sure grip.

Haven't gotten the chance to try the bottle opener yet unfortunately. I will say though, I like that they've smoothed the edges on it unlike those on the first shuffle which wanted to skin you any time you put a hand in your pocket.

The blade, while being only 3cr, came hair popping sharp, and I'm actually a fan of Kershaw's 3cr. Edge retention and ease of resharpening in their applications has seemed pretty close to most 420HC blades I've dealt with.

Its not without it's flaws however, I find the thumbstud to be a bit too close to the pivot making it still a bit fiddly to open one handed with the solid detent, though it is doable and not too difficult. And I'm not a huge fan of the Nylon scales.

Overall, I feel it's a wonderful little keychain blade with an interesting and good looking design that really maximizes utility for the size of the package.

Now back to opening all these pallets of product I go! :oops:
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Kershaw Cinder: Thoughts
Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 11:44:11 PM
 :worthless:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 06:27:51 PM
I read many good things and satisfied customers about that one.
But,

:imws:   :ahhh
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 06:53:37 PM
Here ya go Higgins,  I think this is a picture of the knife you are talking about.   :cheers:

I really like how Kershaw seems to be trying to innovate every year.  I hope that the bottle opener works better on your Cinder than the Shuffle. 

I use bottle openers all the time because I prefer to drink coke from glass bottles and about 90% of the beer I drink come in bottles without twist off caps.  I was really disappointed that the Shuffle kept slipping off and wouldn't open a bottle. 
Kershaw-Cinder-Knife.jpg
* Kershaw-Cinder-Knife.jpg (Filesize: 39.89 KB)

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 07:35:57 PM

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 08:46:30 PM
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 11:37:03 PM
Slight update, few more long shifts using this as essentially my only blade and I'm happy enough with it that I may be getting another for my regular key ring.

Basically all the needs I have at work are those that would be taken care of with a box cutter usually, I get sick of having to go try to find one, and when I do find them they're typically chipped and dull. I'd rather pull something from my pocket and take care of it then. And this knife is perfect for this. Plastic package opening, breaking down boxes, cutting zipties and plastic strapping.

Not massive jobs by any means, but ones that can get annoying.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 12:24:04 PM
Slight update, few more long shifts using this as essentially my only blade and I'm happy enough with it that I may be getting another for my regular key ring.

Basically all the needs I have at work are those that would be taken care of with a box cutter usually, I get sick of having to go try to find one, and when I do find them they're typically chipped and dull. I'd rather pull something from my pocket and take care of it then. And this knife is perfect for this. Plastic package opening, breaking down boxes, cutting zipties and plastic strapping.

Not massive jobs by any means, but ones that can get annoying.

I guess that then it's paid its price back, and you've got a "dedicated user" then   :salute:
My toys:

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 04:40:54 AM
Another update at 3 weeks. Just about daily use for the little guy ripping open boxes(aiming for tape, but getting cardboard too), cutting plastic strapping, and opening up clamshell packages. The edge was definitely showing the wear and tear of being leveraged against strapping and zipties as well as constant boxes. Definitely still had a working edge, but could use attention. Had a diamond hone at work, about 20 seconds with that followed up with a few passes with a polishing hone and it was back to just under hair popping. Liking this knife quite a bit, especially for under 10 bucks. Work always has the cheapest box cutters they can get with dull abused blades, 10 times out of 10 I'll be reaching for this little guy.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: December 20, 2017, 02:41:42 PM
Another update at 3 weeks. Just about daily use for the little guy ripping open boxes(aiming for tape, but getting cardboard too), cutting plastic strapping, and opening up clamshell packages. The edge was definitely showing the wear and tear of being leveraged against strapping and zipties as well as constant boxes. Definitely still had a working edge, but could use attention. Had a diamond hone at work, about 20 seconds with that followed up with a few passes with a polishing hone and it was back to just under hair popping. Liking this knife quite a bit, especially for under 10 bucks. Work always has the cheapest box cutters they can get with dull abused blades, 10 times out of 10 I'll be reaching for this little guy.

(Image removed from quote.)

very good  it works for you.
That's the beauty of the cheap steels (but well HTed), they can be repaired and brought back to sharp in seconds. Forget about sharpening sessions!  :ahhh

definitely more fun than using a dull box cutter   :salute:
My toys:

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 01, 2018, 03:44:33 PM
So I gave it away.....

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: January 01, 2018, 04:34:33 PM
So I gave it away.....

hopefully that person will appreciate it for what it is, and the act of giving it away will let you enjoy newer models or other interesting knives you wouldn't have tried otherwise   :salute:
My toys:

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 01, 2018, 05:01:01 PM
So I gave it away.....

hopefully that person will appreciate it for what it is, and the act of giving it away will let you enjoy newer models or other interesting knives you wouldn't have tried otherwise   :salute:

Co-worker I like was trying to use one of the cheap keyknife knock offs to break down boxes, so I popped it off my keys and gave it to him and he was pretty excited about it.

Very likely that I'll pick up another for myself shortly, got a gift card to the place I picked the first one up.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 11:50:18 AM
So I gave it away.....

Co-worker I like was trying to use one of the cheap keyknife knock offs to break down boxes, so I popped it off my keys and gave it to him and he was pretty excited about it.

Very likely that I'll pick up another for myself shortly, got a gift card to the place I picked the first one up.

it really looks like you loved that little sucker!
Whenever I give aways, sell or lose a knife that I liked a lot I always try to find a similar one or some knife that shares the good things of the one I had so I can try different brands and models, and maybe even find one cooler than the previous one  :salute:
My toys:

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 02, 2018, 01:41:43 PM
Did a good amount of searching last night basically on your advice, seeing if there was anything out there that seemed to accomplish the same thing while being a bit different....

Ended up ordering another of the exact same one, really checks the boxes I need for work. A 58 Vic could likely handle the same tasks while offering more utility, but I already have that covered. The locking blade and slightly thicker blade stock makes me feel better about forcing it to rip through pallets of crap. Very useful sub-10 dollar knife, super light on the keychain.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD