Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Mr. Pinchy Multi Plier Club

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Re: Gerber Mr. Pinchy Multi Plier Club
Reply #30 on: December 24, 2017, 06:32:02 PM
Took the MP out yesterday for "old-time-sake" and had forgotten how to avoid the pinch after not using one for so long. Not a bad pinch, but a pinchy bite nonetheless. Slipped off a 3/8" lamp pipe nut.  :facepalm:

Badge please. :angel:

Sounds like this tool will have a permanent parking lot on my shelf.  :salute:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #31 on: December 30, 2017, 03:41:29 AM
The mint BO and SS MPTs arrived. Took group pics with the Multi-Pliers. :)
20171229_203422-1.jpeg
* 20171229_203422-1.jpeg (Filesize: 128.51 KB)
20171229_203716-1.jpeg
* 20171229_203716-1.jpeg (Filesize: 173.46 KB)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Reply #32 on: December 30, 2017, 05:01:51 AM
Nice collection   :like:
BUCK: X-Tract, 360
GERBER: Clutch, Shortcut, Dime*, DimE*, Octane & Crucial FAST
MP600 NN, CentreDrive, Grappler
Diesel*, Nickle*, Bullrush, MP600 BN, Flik & MP600DET* all in BO
LEATHERMAN: Skeletool, Style PS, CS, ES* & Style*, Juice S2(X2), SC2, C2, Pro, XE6
Crunch, MTO Style CS, Sideclip, BO Kick*
SOG: PowerAccess, Blacktip*, HD PPP
VICTORINOX: SwissTool Std, X(CS), & RS all with red logo, Spirit XBS
*=mod

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Reply #33 on: December 30, 2017, 05:03:45 AM
Nice collection   :tu:
BUCK: X-Tract, 360
GERBER: Clutch, Shortcut, Dime*, DimE*, Octane & Crucial FAST
MP600 NN, CentreDrive, Grappler
Diesel*, Nickle*, Bullrush, MP600 BN, Flik & MP600DET* all in BO
LEATHERMAN: Skeletool, Style PS, CS, ES* & Style*, Juice S2(X2), SC2, C2, Pro, XE6
Crunch, MTO Style CS, Sideclip, BO Kick*
SOG: PowerAccess, Blacktip*, HD PPP
VICTORINOX: SwissTool Std, X(CS), & RS all with red logo, Spirit XBS
*=mod

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: December 30, 2017, 06:51:49 AM
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline docfossil

Reply #35 on: January 03, 2018, 03:16:53 AM
I believe that this is a "Mr Pinchy" though it has treated me well :)

I believe that I obtained it in the last 1990s. I have carried it with me almost daily in my briefcase. It also has accompanied me on pre-2001 trips, and on most camping trips.

I am hoping that someone might be able to provide a bit more information about it.

I also have a more recent one with locking tools. It resides in my Subaru.
1.JPG
* 1.JPG (Filesize: 164.4 KB)
3.JPG
* 3.JPG (Filesize: 133.26 KB)
8.JPG
* 8.JPG (Filesize: 149.62 KB)
9b.JPG
* 9b.JPG (Filesize: 189.32 KB)
Vic Ranger and original Gerber Needle-nose Multitool = EDC
Formerly, Vic Huntsman x3
Semper Versitalis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: January 03, 2018, 03:25:12 AM
Nice Mr. Pinchy, docfossil! It is a very nice looking version 4 riveted needle nose multi-plier. One of the last ones Gerber produced before the multi-lock. :tu:
I have found that regular usage will reduce the likelihood of getting pinched. Thank you for posting!

us Offline docfossil

Reply #37 on: January 03, 2018, 03:32:33 AM
Gerleatherberman,

Thanks for the reply and information.

The other thing which I noticed regarding my two Gerber multitools is that the tools on the 1990s version are somewhat primative and not very finished. The screwdrivers, for example, are somewhat rounded. On my more recent version, the tools are much more polished and professional looking.
7.JPG
* 7.JPG (Filesize: 159.65 KB)
6.JPG
* 6.JPG (Filesize: 154.95 KB)
5.JPG
* 5.JPG (Filesize: 158.53 KB)
Vic Ranger and original Gerber Needle-nose Multitool = EDC
Formerly, Vic Huntsman x3
Semper Versitalis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: January 03, 2018, 03:52:17 AM
Indeed. Gerber went all out when they moved to the Multi-Lock (Mp600). Nicer drivers, locks, and best of all; they widened the handle spacing to keep people from getting pinched. :)
The earlier Multi-Plier drivers can be honed on a stone or sandpaper for a more defined profile though.  I have done that on mine and it helps the drivers (flat heads) immensely. Much more bite when turning a screw.  :tu:

se Offline Sjoqvist

Reply #39 on: January 14, 2018, 05:20:03 PM
Picked up my first Gerber with a sliding plier head a few days ago :multi: I’m usually a Leatherman type of guy, but it sure is fun to play around with :D It was in bad condition when I got it, but after some cleaning it works great! The spring tension for the folding tools is kind of bad, so there’s some wiggle in the lockup though :think:
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 05:23:08 PM by Sjoqvist »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: January 14, 2018, 05:36:12 PM
Picked up my first Gerber with a sliding plier head a few days ago :multi: I’m usually a Leatherman type of guy, but it sure is fun to play around with :D It was in bad condition when I got it, but after some cleaning it works great! The spring tension for the folding tools is kind of bad, so there’s some wiggle in the lockup though :think:
Congrats on the Gerber multi-plier! Looks to be in nice condition after you worked on it!
The spring retention is an issue on multi-pliers that were well-loved. You can unscrew the button head screw on the tool ends of the handles and remove the tools. Then you can gently(easy...tiny bit at a time ) bend the spring tab in 2-3 millimeters inwards.
Re-install the tools the same way you removed them and put the pivot bolt/screw back in. Oil up and see how you like it.  :tu:

se Offline Sjoqvist

Reply #41 on: January 14, 2018, 05:50:17 PM
Congrats on the Gerber multi-plier! Looks to be in nice condition after you worked on it!
The spring retention is an issue on multi-pliers that were well-loved. You can unscrew the button head screw on the tool ends of the handles and remove the tools. Then you can gently(easy...tiny bit at a time ) bend the spring tab in 2-3 millimeters inwards.
Re-install the tools the same way you removed them and put the pivot bolt/screw back in. Oil up and see how you like it.  :tu:

I see, thanks for the advice! Should I apply heat to the spring when I bend it, or do I mess up the heat treat that way? :think:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #42 on: January 14, 2018, 09:11:19 PM

I see, thanks for the advice! Should I apply heat to the spring when I bend it, or do I mess up the heat treat that way? :think:
I've never had to heat one to get it to move. The spring tab seems to have a poor spring steel treatment from the factory. The only tools I have ever had to bend the tab on were early multi-pliers and two of my early bear jaws MTs. Just be careful and stop bending the tab if it starts to bend too much. :tu:

se Offline Sjoqvist

Reply #43 on: January 15, 2018, 03:03:42 PM
It worked well! I also took the time to polish up all the individual implements on the contact surface and applied some oil. Now the tools open butter smooth too! Thanks for the help :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #44 on: January 15, 2018, 03:52:11 PM
It worked well! I also took the time to polish up all the individual implements on the contact surface and applied some oil. Now the tools open butter smooth too! Thanks for the help :cheers:
[/quote]
You're welcome!  Congrats on getting your Multi-Plier in tip-top shape! They are awesome MTs (aside from the pinchy part) for sure. A lot of tool in a small package.
And being a version 3, the plier head uses a screw and bolt for the pivot. If the pliers ever develope play, they can be tightened very easily. Most MTs have to have the plier peened with a hammer and punch, but the versions 1, 2, & 3 are so much easier to tighten. :tu:

se Offline Sjoqvist

Reply #45 on: January 15, 2018, 04:53:23 PM
You're welcome!  Congrats on getting your Multi-Plier in tip-top shape! They are awesome MTs (aside from the pinchy part) for sure. A lot of tool in a small package.
And being a version 3, the plier head uses a screw and bolt for the pivot. If the pliers ever develope play, they can be tightened very easily. Most MTs have to have the plier peened with a hammer and punch, but the versions 1, 2, & 3 are so much easier to tighten. :tu:
[/quote]

Really? You can tighten the pivot with a screw? I learn something every day from you! :D The pliers are just a tad wobbly. I think it’s time to dissasemble the slidy part too :tu: I just have to get myself a hex bit kit with inch instead of my metric ones. I noticed they don’t fit all that well :think:

I’ve been modifying and rebuilding Leathermans for years, but this Gerber stuff is all new to me :tu:

« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 04:56:51 PM by Sjoqvist »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #46 on: January 15, 2018, 05:11:18 PM
A T10 torx driver fits quite snuggly into the hex screws on the plier system as well.  :) Once you remove the plier system,  one side looks flat and smooth and the other has a specialized nut with the pivot bolt showing.  The bolt has two slots on the edges. I use two thin flat head drivers to turn the bolt side a bit.
When taking out the pliers, be careful the spring loaded buttons don't fly away(happened my first time). The last thing I noticed is that the four screws on the sliding system are best put back in the holes you removed them from.
I uaually run the slider screws in to make sure it is the right screw for the hole, and then apply a tiny tiny amount of loctite before re-installing the pliers. If you tighten the slider screws too much, the pliers won't flik out right. Once all the four screws are in, adjust them all to your liking before the loctite sets up. And with that done, you have a practically brand new Gerber Multi-Plier.  :cheers:

se Offline Sjoqvist

Reply #47 on: January 15, 2018, 05:27:17 PM
I see! You don’t happen to know if these tools usually have problems with implements closing ”too far”? The only thing that’s not perfect now is the knife blade. The edge is touching the inside of the handles in closed position and dulling the blade. The blade itself does not look ”worn” near the pivot where the metal should ride against the inside of the handle to keep the edge from touching :think:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #48 on: January 15, 2018, 06:11:59 PM
Could you post a photo of the issue? I'm wondering if the blade is bent possibly or the washer between the handle inside and blade tang is gone. Is it the serrated or plain blade?

se Offline Sjoqvist

Reply #49 on: January 15, 2018, 07:23:36 PM
It is the plain blade. I don’t see any wear on the ”bump” on the blade, and I don’t see any wear inside the handle where the ”bump” is supposed to touch. The tool had no washers at all between the implements when I got it. But I’m sure this is not the first time someone took it apart :think:

The first picture shows where the edge hits the inside of the handle, and the second picture shows the ”bump” on the plain blade. It looks intact in person
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 07:24:46 PM by Sjoqvist »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #50 on: January 15, 2018, 10:40:07 PM
I took two pictures of mine to show how far it is supposed to go before touching the handle.

I would bet your multi-plier came from the factory with that issue. The only thing I can think of to fix it would be to reshape the blade to a point the edge is not rubbing on the handle.
Although, based on gow often you'll carry/use, the blade would still be fairly useful without reshaping it.
20180115_153041-1.jpeg
* 20180115_153041-1.jpeg (Filesize: 78.76 KB)
20180115_153011-1.jpeg
* 20180115_153011-1.jpeg (Filesize: 73.71 KB)

se Offline Sjoqvist

Reply #51 on: January 15, 2018, 11:04:07 PM
I see :cheers: It’s not that big of a deal, I was just curious if all tools had the same issue :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #52 on: January 15, 2018, 11:11:19 PM
I wish every MT was as user serviceable as the Multi-Plier. :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #53 on: March 05, 2018, 06:11:14 AM
Oh yeah. Pinchy V.3 was out to play today. :multi:
20180304_183250-1.jpeg
* 20180304_183250-1.jpeg (Filesize: 94.28 KB)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #54 on: March 05, 2018, 01:21:50 PM
Oh yeah. Pinchy V.3 was out to play today. :multi:

stainless trio!   :like:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: March 11, 2018, 05:07:13 PM
Not quite sure which version I have here. But I just couldnt resist taking things apart. :facepalm: Initially wanted to remove the super wicked awl for something else but realised its a different size pivot hole.

But what I found out contrary to the above posts, the pivot screw at the tools are actually barrel pivots. Not sure if I got the correct term for it. Its one threaded post, with 2 screws on each side. Meaning I have to remove both screws before I can remove any of the implements. Its a bit of a challenge to remove the other end of the screw as theres nothing to hold on to properly.

Being the usual itchy hand here, I added 2 tiny washers to the screw at the sliding part, opening up the splay a little. One side of the lock is disabled. With one side, it locked up still fine. Just for a bit of fun and messing around. Not too keen to get the Coveted Blood Blister Badge...

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #56 on: March 11, 2018, 10:31:40 PM
Thanks, ThePeacent! :cheers:

Sam,
Version 2 right there. Probably my favorite of the pinchy types. Version 3 went to the more common screw through barrel with the captive nut on the other side.
The V1 and V2 had the threaded barrels with a screw on each side.  :tu:
The awl is also indicative of the V2. The V3 replaced the awl/reamer with a file. :tu:
Nice job on opening the splay. Probably the best thing I ever did on my original pinchy. :)

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #57 on: March 12, 2018, 02:23:18 AM

Being the usual itchy hand here, I added 2 tiny washers to the screw at the sliding part, opening up the splay a little. One side of the lock is disabled. With one side, it locked up still fine. Just for a bit of fun and messing around. Not too keen to get the Coveted Blood Blister Badge...

You chicken ! ....  :pok:    :rofl:
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: March 12, 2018, 02:58:45 AM

You chicken ! ....  :pok:    :rofl:

Yes I am! And I am proud of that!  :cheers:

Hey Greg, have u receive your stuff yet?

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #59 on: March 12, 2018, 09:14:47 AM
Hey Greg, have u receive your stuff yet?

Yes thank you, and very happy with it too  :tu:   

I've sent you two emails so far, have you checked your junk folder ?
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%