Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Mr. Pinchy Multi Plier Club 3040

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,506 Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: Gerber Mr. Pinchy Multi Plier Club
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2018, 10:40:07 PM »
I took two pictures of mine to show how far it is supposed to go before touching the handle.

I would bet your multi-plier came from the factory with that issue. The only thing I can think of to fix it would be to reshape the blade to a point the edge is not rubbing on the handle.
Although, based on gow often you'll carry/use, the blade would still be fairly useful without reshaping it.

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.
Full Member Posts: 182
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2018, 11:04:07 PM »
I see :cheers: It’s not that big of a deal, I was just curious if all tools had the same issue :tu:
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2018, 11:11:19 PM »
I wish every MT was as user serviceable as the Multi-Plier. :cheers:

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2018, 06:11:14 AM »
Oh yeah. Pinchy V.3 was out to play today. :multi:

Zombie Apprentice Posts: 14,495 Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2018, 01:21:50 PM »
Oh yeah. Pinchy V.3 was out to play today. :multi:

stainless trio!   :like:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest
No Life Club Posts: 1,655
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2018, 05:07:13 PM »
Not quite sure which version I have here. But I just couldnt resist taking things apart. :facepalm: Initially wanted to remove the super wicked awl for something else but realised its a different size pivot hole.

But what I found out contrary to the above posts, the pivot screw at the tools are actually barrel pivots. Not sure if I got the correct term for it. Its one threaded post, with 2 screws on each side. Meaning I have to remove both screws before I can remove any of the implements. Its a bit of a challenge to remove the other end of the screw as theres nothing to hold on to properly.

Being the usual itchy hand here, I added 2 tiny washers to the screw at the sliding part, opening up the splay a little. One side of the lock is disabled. With one side, it locked up still fine. Just for a bit of fun and messing around. Not too keen to get the Coveted Blood Blister Badge...

« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2018, 10:31:40 PM »
Thanks, ThePeacent! :cheers:

Sam,
Version 2 right there. Probably my favorite of the pinchy types. Version 3 went to the more common screw through barrel with the captive nut on the other side.
The V1 and V2 had the threaded barrels with a screw on each side.  :tu:
The awl is also indicative of the V2. The V3 replaced the awl/reamer with a file. :tu:
Nice job on opening the splay. Probably the best thing I ever did on my original pinchy. :)

No Life Club Posts: 4,196 Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2018, 02:23:18 AM »

Being the usual itchy hand here, I added 2 tiny washers to the screw at the sliding part, opening up the splay a little. One side of the lock is disabled. With one side, it locked up still fine. Just for a bit of fun and messing around. Not too keen to get the Coveted Blood Blister Badge...

You chicken ! ....  :pok:    :rofl:

babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2018, 02:58:45 AM »

You chicken ! ....  :pok:    :rofl:

Yes I am! And I am proud of that!  :cheers:

Hey Greg, have u receive your stuff yet?
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2018, 09:14:47 AM »

Yes thank you, and very happy with it too  :tu:   

I've sent you two emails so far, have you checked your junk folder ?

babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2018, 10:11:04 AM »

Yes thank you, and very happy with it too  :tu:   

I've sent you two emails so far, have you checked your junk folder ?

Hmm. I cant find those emails. But good to know that it have reach u safe and sound. Thanks again!  :like:
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2018, 06:15:49 AM »
I'm gonna pinch ya..five times.  :ahhh

« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2018, 08:54:27 AM »

Nice older Gerbers   :salute:   :tu:

« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2018, 10:43:15 AM »

The 2nd row, 3rd and 4th doesn't look so pinchy. Did you do something or are they stock? I bet your blood blister badges are piling up..  :rofl:
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2018, 01:57:21 PM »

Thank you, gregozedobe! :cheers:

The 2nd row, 3rd and 4th doesn't look so pinchy. Did you do something or are they stock? I bet your blood blister badges are piling up..  :rofl:
Good eye, Sam! The 3rd has little washers I installed between the handles and plier body. 1/16" extra gap, so the bite isn't so bloody. :ahhh
The 4th is a version 4 needle nose with rivets holding in the pliers. I guess by version 4 they designed the plier head to give the handles some splay. Which is nice. :cheers:

« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2018, 02:58:30 PM »

Thank you, gregozedobe! :cheers:

Good eye, Sam! The 3rd has little washers I installed between the handles and plier body. 1/16" extra gap, so the bite isn't so bloody. :ahhh
The 4th is a version 4 needle nose with rivets holding in the pliers. I guess by version 4 they designed the plier head to give the handles some splay. Which is nice. :cheers:

I have a version 2 ( I think).. I tried to install a washer inbetween where you mentioned but it's not exactly working. The spring and the buttons are rather short.. Not enough to lock up the pliers when extended.. I ended up only doing on one side only..
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2018, 03:06:13 PM »
Quote from: Sam Lim

I have a version 2 ( I think).. I tried to install a washer inbetween where you mentioned but it's not exactly working. The spring and the buttons are rather short.. Not enough to lock up the pliers when extended.. I ended up only doing on one side only..
It takes quite a bit of fiddling to get it perfect. Mine has washers on the "top and bottom" screws on one side and a washer in the "bottom" of the other side.
I carried a v.3 pinchy for over a decade before I got into Multitools as a hobby. At some point, using one everyday, you learn how to use it without getting pinched. Unfortunately I got my badge when I started putting the pinchy back into my edc rotation(and had forgotten the muscle memory to avoid putting my palm close to the handle gap) and got bit. :rofl:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 03:07:14 PM by gerleatherberman »

« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2018, 05:55:25 PM »
Finally got a good deal on a V.4 BN. The other photos show it with the other Pinchy tools.

Left to right: V.1, V.2, V.3(small plier pivot), V.3(large plier pivot), V.4 BN, and V.4 NN. Please forgive the little piece of tissue in the V.3(small pivot) pliers. :facepalm:

« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2018, 02:57:09 AM »
Apologies for the bad photos earlier. Hope these are a bit better. :)

Gerber Multi-Plier 1 by None, on Flickr
Gerber Multi-Plier 2 by None, on Flickr
Gerber Multi-Plier 3 by None, on Flickr
Gerber Multi-Plier 4 by None, on Flickr

« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2018, 05:39:31 PM »
That's alot of Pinchies!!  :like:
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2018, 07:08:34 PM »
That's alot of Pinchies!!  :like:
They want your palm! >:D

I've got one more on the way. NIB V.3(small pivot). Since the current one is the only used one in the group.  :facepalm:
That does mean one thing. The current V.3 small pivot is getting a mod or two  :)

« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2018, 01:01:35 AM »
Got more than I bargained for with this NIB Pinchy. I bought it thinking it would be good to have in the collection since my v.3 with small plier pivot is my user pinchy. Well, this V.3 is more of a mix between a V.2 and V.3. It has the death awl instead of the file, lathe cut button rivots in the handles, and a less "finished" version of the small pivot V.3 pliers. It also only has a single Patent No. V.2 has Pat. Pend. And my other V.3s have two Patent Nos.
Anyway, I know there are about 20 variations of the Pinchy, so here are the photos.

Top is V.3 small plier pivot with sharper defined pliers.
Middle is the one from the packaging - note the handle rivot and patent No.
Bottom is a V.3 large plier pivot.

« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2018, 02:49:36 AM »
Nice writeup GLBM.  :tu:   Yep, Gerber definitely made lots of different variations of Mr Pinchies.

There was a Fiskars branded version which had some of the characteristics of the later Mr Pinchies but had the "death awl".  Your V2/3 might have been made around the same time. 

I wonder if some of these "transitional" versions were simply the result of the factory assemblers using up left-over parts from previous versions ?

« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2018, 03:02:12 AM »
Thank you for the information, Greg! :cheers:

That definitely makes sense with the single Pat. No, death awl, and lathed rivets. It may be I have never noticed single patent handles, but that was really neat to see on it.
I appreciate you chiming in, because I am pretty late in the MT collecting world and it seems many collectors have gone dormant. :ahhh

« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2018, 05:19:50 AM »
Finally got a brand new small pivot V.3 to stand in for ny user Pinchy in the collection. :woohoo:

*user Pinchy top left.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $253.00
PayPal Fees: $15.34
Net Balance: $237.66
Below Goal: $62.34
Site Currency: USD
79%