Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Mr. Pinchy Multi Plier Club

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Re: Gerber Mr. Pinchy Multi Plier Club
Reply #90 on: March 05, 2019, 06:13:46 PM
Doesn't hurt the function, but is cosmetically ugly.

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #91 on: March 05, 2019, 06:35:28 PM
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #92 on: March 05, 2019, 06:43:13 PM
Corrected order and version designations.

V1.0 FPR, V1.1 BO, V1.2 SS, V2.0 SS, V2.0 BO, V3 SS, & V4.1 BO(older pliers head).
Bottom row:
V4.1 SS(older pliers head), V5 BN SS, V5 NN SS, Fiskars(with awl and file - awl instead of can opener - factory), CK&T old, & CK&T new.

Full view.

Top row close.

Bottom row close.
]

Top row open.

Bottom row open.

Top row side-by-side.

Bottom row side-by-side.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 06:44:49 PM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #93 on: May 24, 2019, 05:32:48 PM
New member. Only got the one though >:D
42420191768.jpg
* 42420191768.jpg (Filesize: 281.83 KB)
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #94 on: May 24, 2019, 06:10:54 PM
New member. Only got the one though >:D
Very nice, D_T! :like:

A must-have for any MT enthusiast and a real piece of MT-history. :woohoo:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #95 on: May 25, 2019, 10:42:05 AM

First impressions:
It feels solid and hefty, yet compact; very beefy sheet metal used for the handles. Built for life. Better feeling in that respect than the CD I idly handled at Paragon when I bought the Wave+ last year. Quick-draw stubby nose pliers (refreshing after all these needle nosed ones on all the tools nowadays). Nice file too (much better than what SOG offer currently). Inner implement extraction is a multi-step procedure though.

There is a little bit of rattle in the slider mechanism - I wonder if I can tighten the slider screws just a tiny bit without impeding the sliding movement. I assume these are loctited?
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #96 on: May 25, 2019, 01:25:40 PM
No need to worry about the rattle. That is inherent to all sliding pliers Gerbers. That is why I am always yapping about the Multi-Pliers being the most reliable MTs made. Loose tolerances makes for tools that hold up longer than tight tolerance tools.  :)

You can try tightening the screws  possibly, but the loctit is so old it break free easily without heat. Tightening will make the tool less confidence

And for grip/splat,  the Multi--Pliers is a bear. . :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #97 on: June 11, 2019, 10:08:00 AM
Pinchy fun-night. :woohoo:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #98 on: June 11, 2019, 05:55:47 PM
 :like:

An impressive array GLBM :tu:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #99 on: June 11, 2019, 10:12:39 PM
:like:

An impressive array GLBM :tu:
Many thanks, D_T!  :cheers:

Just two more Pinchy versions to locate and I will consider the OG Multi-Plier group complete. A BO NN V.5 and a BO BN V.5.   :ahhh

Offline Go Army, Beat Navy

Reply #100 on: June 12, 2019, 11:52:13 PM
Hello - I am new to this forum (actually, any forum) so ask for leniency as I probably commit forum-etiquette faux pas.  I inherited this Gerber multitool and while I fancy my internet search skills I can't for the life of me figure out what model this is -- or what the purpose (tool) the hook is.  I mean, I get the basic idea of a hook, but I've never seen a hook like this on a multitool ...
I asked Gerber (twice) but never got a reply.  I hope I attached the picture properly.  Any assistance anyone has is greatly appreciate.
Thank you
IMG_1869 (1).jpg
* IMG_1869 (1).jpg (Filesize: 161.91 KB)
IMG_1870.jpg
* IMG_1870.jpg (Filesize: 166.59 KB)
IMG_1871.jpg
* IMG_1871.jpg (Filesize: 156.99 KB)
IMG_1872 (1).jpg
* IMG_1872 (1).jpg (Filesize: 122.27 KB)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #101 on: June 12, 2019, 11:58:20 PM
Early Trailrider perhaps? Looks like a hoof pick. Either it is a really rare Trailrider-type run, a prototype equestrian MT, or someone made it(to act like the later Trailrider).
Welcome to MT.o, Go Army!

Reply #102 on: June 13, 2019, 12:09:27 AM
Early Trailrider perhaps? Looks like a hoof pick. Either it is a really rare Trailrider-type run, a prototype equestrian MT, or someone made it(to act like the later Trailrider).
Welcome to MT.o, Go Army!

Thank you - took me a few seconds to even figure out how to reply.  I thought about the trail rider but that looks like a more pronounced "L" than this hook.  Based on your experience does this seem a factory-type tool or more, as you say, a sort of made-up tool?  do you think this is an original? I'm not concerned about value, just trying to figure out what this is .. the other Gerber I have was a gift from the Army for a trip to Iraq and that one is easy to find out about -- so really just sort of fascinated by this (hoping it's not counterfeit, as I'd hate to unwittingly support that indirectly).  Thanks

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #103 on: June 13, 2019, 12:25:12 AM
Welcome to the boards mate.   :cheers:

Have a look around the pivot area and see how well the machining matches up with the other tools.
It's definitely a cool piece.

Reply #104 on: June 13, 2019, 12:45:02 AM
Welcome to the boards mate.   :cheers:

Have a look around the pivot area and see how well the machining matches up with the other tools.
It's definitely a cool piece.
I own another multiplier (don't have picture) but this one (the one in question) seems nearly identical in quality, etc. - I feel confident it's not a counterfeit based on the other two I own (but I guess that's the point of a counterfeit ... to look real).  Sort of really sounding ignorant, but is the value of a hook tool?  Truth told I won't use it, it will be put in a  drawer as it seems to have some "value" (even if from a novelty standpoint...) and it would be a shame to ruin it....thanks

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #105 on: June 13, 2019, 02:21:27 AM
 :iagree: with zoidberg. That's a good idea. Maybe a photo of the pivot but-end would shed some more light?

Thank you - took me a few seconds to even figure out how to reply.  I thought about the trail rider but that looks like a more pronounced "L" than this hook.  Based on your experience does this seem a factory-type tool or more, as you say, a sort of made-up tool?  do you think this is an original? I'm not concerned about value, just trying to figure out what this is .. the other Gerber I have was a gift from the Army for a trip to Iraq and that one is easy to find out about -- so really just sort of fascinated by this (hoping it's not counterfeit, as I'd hate to unwittingly support that indirectly).  Thanks
You're quite welcome. :cheers:

It is a curiousity for sure. The prototypes don't seem to fetch a premium these days. The old, "is it collectible when only one person can get it?" idea.
But as an oddity, factory or homemade, it is really cool. :)

Gerber doesn't tend to have production tools with tools shaped like that. Like you mentioned, the Trailrider is abruptly styled/shaped and the Trailrider pick seems more at home in a Multi-Plier than the tool pictured. Doesn't mean it isn't a factory prototype though. It very well could be. :)

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #106 on: June 13, 2019, 01:45:03 PM
:iagree: with zoidberg. That's a good idea. Maybe a photo of the pivot but-end would shed some more light?
You're quite welcome. :cheers:

It is a curiousity for sure. The prototypes don't seem to fetch a premium these days. The old, "is it collectible when only one person can get it?" idea.
But as an oddity, factory or homemade, it is really cool. :)

Gerber doesn't tend to have production tools with tools shaped like that. Like you mentioned, the Trailrider is abruptly styled/shaped and the Trailrider pick seems more at home in a Multi-Plier than the tool pictured. Doesn't mean it isn't a factory prototype though. It very well could be. :)

Firstly, welcome to MTo.  You've come to the right place to discuss old Gerber MTs  :tu:

Definitely an interesting odd ball.  I'm sure it is a genuine Gerber Multi-Plier (a.k.a. "Mr Pinchy"), but that hook is new to me.

I have never seen a tool like that in a Mr Pinchy (and I have seen a number of different Gerber prototypes, I even own some of them).  As said, it doesn't look even remotely like the hoof-pick that Gerber put in their MP600 TrailRider.

Does it look like a finished, ready-for-production tool, or is it a bit rough around the edges ?  If it looks like a well finished component then I would guess it is either a Gerber prototype, or someone had decided to make their own custom-made component.  Most Gerber prototypes I've seen are quite well finished an all components.

Can you tell us a bit more about where it came from before you got it, that may shed a bit more light on its origins ?

I have a prototype Mr Pinchy with a Golfer divot tool that I'm sure was made by Gerber, but it never made it to production.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

Reply #107 on: June 13, 2019, 05:42:44 PM
Hello again

I added two more pictures - the tool (hook) looks very well made, matches the tool color, etc. precisely and closes perfectly as if it's clearly designed for it.  It someone made this after-the-fact (and presumably replaced it with another tool), they did a wonderful job.  I'm partial to the "prototype" possibility just because it makes it seem unique and cool.

As to where it's from - well....I put "inherited" in the post to make it simple...but I will tell you where I got it and I'll assume I will make some folks upset.  I am blessed to work about 3 miles from a state surplus store that gets possession of all knives confiscated by TSA.  Now, I have mixed feelings here - because I know I am buying what others lost (I have been a victim of TSA myself - or, actually, of my negligence) -- I do not sell them on Ebay or anywhere - it started as a fun (and inexpensive) way to get my young daughters interested in knives then the next thing you know I have quite a cache of knifes, multitools, etc.  In one case an unusual name was engraved so I tried to find the person, to no avail.  Under our system the knives are sealed at the store, so you don't know the condition or sometimes brand, location of origin, etc.  So, it's a toss up...some junk, some decent. In this case, I picked up the Gerber in question in a sealed package...got it home, was pleased to see the knife was sharp, all tools in great shape -- was happy.  But this cursed hook got the best of me and I spent hours online, Ebay, other forums, etc., trying to figure out what I had.  I decided to post here as everyone seems quite knowledgeable.

I'm not trying to sell this - not trying to make up a great story of how it was handed down by my grandfather the lumberjack on his dying bed as it told me about Oregon in the 50s (none of which is true...) .... I just found myself obsessing about what this tool is and pretty much my wife telling me to shut-up about it.   

Thanks

(SIDE NOTE - I am impressed by the collection many have here.  I have about 5 Leatherman and what I think is an obsessive amount of Victorinox/Wenger's, but wow - some of you take this to a whole new level!   Neat to see!)
IMG_2172.jpg
* IMG_2172.jpg (Filesize: 42.6 KB)
IMG_2173.jpg
* IMG_2173.jpg (Filesize: 71.88 KB)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 05:57:49 PM by Go Army, Beat Navy »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #108 on: June 13, 2019, 06:13:11 PM
Thanks for the info and photos, Go Army! :cheers:

A very neat and unique Gerber tool for sure. If you're going to have an OG Multi-Plier, might as well be a unique one. :like:

Reply #109 on: June 13, 2019, 06:28:13 PM
Thank you again for all the replies - very helpful. 

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #110 on: June 13, 2019, 07:23:17 PM
 :cheers:

gb Offline fred2892

Reply #111 on: July 09, 2019, 11:09:49 AM
While up in the attic searching for a long lost Victorinox champion I dug around in one of my old kitbags and found this.  I bought this at the BX at Eielson AFB, Alaska in June 97. It saw regular use and abuse until I retired in 2010 and looks to have held up nicely with minimum maintenance on my part. In that time it performed well in many parts of the world including Arctic and Desert conditions.
Nice to see it again, brings back many memories.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #112 on: July 09, 2019, 04:05:59 PM
Very cool history on that Multi-Plier, Fred! Thank you for sharing! :cheers:

IMO, the Multi-Plier is one of the least "needy" pliers-based tools, in terms of maintenance, ever made. I carried one for over 10 years as well as a primary tool, and almost 15 years now as a backup tool. The simple design still has me keeping it in my back pocket for when I need some pliers that the teeth won't ding up on.  :)

Quick question though, if I may. Is there a driver bent in the tool end of the MP?
The reason I ask is, because the pliers should be able to retract completely on any of the blunt pliers tip versions. :ahhh

gb Offline fred2892

Gerber Mr. Pinchy Multi Plier Club
Reply #113 on: July 09, 2019, 05:49:52 PM
No, none of the tools are damaged in any way. The plier head had just slipped forward a little. Trust me, it still pinches

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #114 on: July 09, 2019, 07:39:10 PM
Nice!

Pinching.  :ahhh That is does well too. :iagree:

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #115 on: July 24, 2019, 01:44:30 PM
Don’t know if I’ve posted here... here’s the only Mr. Pinchy I have...

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #116 on: July 24, 2019, 01:49:00 PM
Don’t know if I’ve posted here... here’s the only Mr. Pinchy I have...

(Image removed from quote.)
Version 2. Very nice! :like:

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #117 on: July 24, 2019, 02:20:11 PM
Thanks GLBM... Haven’t yet gone through the pinchy evolution... didn’t know this was a version 2 :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #118 on: July 24, 2019, 02:27:28 PM
Thanks GLBM... Haven’t yet gone through the pinchy evolution... didn’t know this was a version 2 :cheers:
:cheers:

The large pliers pivot bushing bolt was only on the first(which are identifiable by the silly scissors and polished finish) and second(which are identifiable by the pliers bushing, satin finish and awl instead of scissors) versions. :)
The later versions, up until 5(which had rivets instead of screws mounting the pliers and had a pressed pivot pliers pivot) had a smaller bolt pivot in the pliers and has a file instead of the awl. :ahhh

jp Offline hiraboo

Reply #119 on: August 03, 2019, 09:34:56 AM
Hello everyone.This is my first post in this forum.
I will respect your active discussions and wonderful collection.
I am not good at English. So when I write something strange or rude, I don’t mean that. Please don’t get angry just laugh out.

I also love Mr. Pinchy very much. I have been collecting these charming tools in Japan.
Now, I will show you summary of my collection.

NOTICE
@ This table only depends on my own Mr. Pinchies. It doesn’t take into account any forum members collection. Of course it doesn’t include all of products in the world.
@ I lined up the materials according to my arbitrary judgment. I’m not sure it is correct order.
@ I chose these tool part name selfishly. Please tell me the proper name.
@ Any errors and omissions are my fault.

In making this table, I received many suggestions from this forum.
Thank you very much.
I hope this helps you and this forum.
table1.jpg
* table1.jpg (Filesize: 143.4 KB)
fig1.jpg
* fig1.jpg (Filesize: 69.11 KB)
fig2.jpg
* fig2.jpg (Filesize: 71.71 KB)
fig3.jpg
* fig3.jpg (Filesize: 53.54 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds