Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Brief Geneva report

wales Offline caninesapien

Brief Geneva report
on: November 30, 2017, 11:19:32 AM
Came back from a trip to Geneva last week with a mini-haul from the Vic shop. I was surprised at the prices - they were cheaper than a lot of places I've seen in the UK. The cost of food (and booze) in Geneva knocked me for six so I couldn't quick pick up as many tools as I wanted! I did manage to get a new Tinker for a friend, a red Classic for my father, a 2017 "Space Walk" classic and a Recruit for myself, and my fiancee also picked up a Guacamaya classic for herself. Loving the Recruit so far. Pics to follow!

I saw a LOT of really shoddy-looking knockoff SAKs - looked and felt very cheap, tools were bending(!) as I checked them.

I did pop into another shop near the lake with a great range of Leatherman tools in the window, but a Wave was priced at something like 259CHF!

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Re: Brief Geneva report
Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 01:32:19 PM
Yeah, I don't think Geneva is the ideal place for buying Leatherman... They have the "crossing the ocean from the USA" tax, the Swiss tax, the "it's not Victorinox!" tax as well as the "this is Geneva! Of course it's expensive!" tax.

Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 02:25:14 PM
Yeah, I don't think Geneva is the ideal place for buying Leatherman... They have the "crossing the ocean from the USA" tax, the Swiss tax, the "it's not Victorinox!" tax as well as the "this is Geneva! Of course it's expensive!" tax.

I figured as much!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 03:44:07 PM
Nah, its mostly the "I can't be bothered tax"

Stores that actually deal in LM have reasonable prices (mostly due to the prices on the Interweb). But there are many that have bought a couple of LM years ago, put a price on them, then forgot about it. Good part about it, you can get a discontinued LM for a good price. Just go like "Oh, this is not the current model" put it back on the shelf, then say if they didn't sell it for so long, its probably no good >:D
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 05:23:55 PM
There's quite a few Swiss stores and online-sellers that actually manage to sell cheaper than the official stores. Not talking about special sales on one side or the other...

In Geneva specifically and talking about other knives/multitools, as long as you stay clear of obvious center-of-town shops you can rather easily find acceptable prices for good items.
In the city-center and mostly close to the train station, many "Switzerland" or "Geneva" souvenir-type knives are sadly cheap Chinese crap. Oh the irony... so many Chinese tourists come here and buy overpriced Swiss-labeled Chinese-made knockoffs. There's loads of cheap/crappy watches too.

About the Geneva Victorinox flagship store, there was a "VIP event" there earlier this year and they had 10% off of everything in the store. I bought their last 2017 Damascus Limited Edition for quite a fair price.
They also had an actual Spartan-building-bench and were allowing people to make their own (with the assistance of their expert) for free. I went to buy wood scales and put those on my self-built SAK (which probably has a warranty). It might be slightly out of subject but I just love that place so I couldn't resist sharing this :D

« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 05:25:19 PM by Syem »

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 05:29:02 PM
[...] Oh the irony... so many Chinese tourists come here and buy overpriced Swiss-labeled Chinese-made knockoffs. There's loads of cheap/crappy watches too.
[...]

:o Interesting bit of info there! Thank you   :salute:

And welcome to the forums   :cheers:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 09:54:32 AM
There's quite a few Swiss stores and online-sellers that actually manage to sell cheaper than the official stores. Not talking about special sales on one side or the other...

In Geneva specifically and talking about other knives/multitools, as long as you stay clear of obvious center-of-town shops you can rather easily find acceptable prices for good items.
In the city-center and mostly close to the train station, many "Switzerland" or "Geneva" souvenir-type knives are sadly cheap Chinese crap. Oh the irony... so many Chinese tourists come here and buy overpriced Swiss-labeled Chinese-made knockoffs. There's loads of cheap/crappy watches too.

About the Geneva Victorinox flagship store, there was a "VIP event" there earlier this year and they had 10% off of everything in the store. I bought their last 2017 Damascus Limited Edition for quite a fair price.
They also had an actual Spartan-building-bench and were allowing people to make their own (with the assistance of their expert) for free. I went to buy wood scales and put those on my self-built SAK (which probably has a warranty). It might be slightly out of subject but I just love that place so I couldn't resist sharing this :D

Wow, would have loved to have had a go at assembling my own!

It was really nice to just wander around the Vic shop, staff were really friendly and not pushy at all. So great to see all the different models (and my fiancee was really interested in the kitchenware!).

And yes, saw a lot of knock-offs in shops right next to the train station - they looked absolutely awful but people seemed quite interested in them, sadly.

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 04:24:47 PM
They also had an actual Spartan-building-bench and were allowing people to make their own (with the assistance of their expert) for free. I went to buy wood scales and put those on my self-built SAK (which probably has a warranty).

I was there yesterday and asked them... My self-built Spartan actually has no warranty. The blade has a special marking (something like "self-build SAK", I'll have to check) which means that knife will no be services by them (or at least not for free... maybe they would swap the blade out and redo it to their own specs). I got the peening just perfect on my rivets so it's pretty smooth. I saw some other people who actually ended up with rather stiff tools because they went at it too hard. All that plus it's free so it makes sense that they wouldn't give you a warranty.
If I ever get to make a second one I might sacrifice to get that marked blade for a DIY. I should try my hand at that one day :) I'll take a pic of that blade tonight if I remember.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 04:36:12 PM
If only they allowed you to self build something bigger than a Spartan, like a Swisschamp. :dd:

What is the cost of an A.I.D(Assemble It Yourself) Spartan as opposed to an Ibach assembled Spartan?
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 07:46:28 PM
If only they allowed you to self build something bigger than a Spartan, like a Swisschamp. :dd:

What is the cost of an A.I.D(Assemble It Yourself) Spartan as opposed to an Ibach assembled Spartan?

It was completely free but it was only as part of this special event. I didn't want to have the red scales they were offering on my self-assembled knife so I bought some wooden ones before finishing the assembly (still took the red ones though :D ). I do believe however that you can somehow buy a kit and if you go to a specific place (there might be a list) with it they'll let you use the kit to assemble it. Maybe the other side of the main blade has the same engraving as I have on mine.

The "machine" is made to assemble the Spartan. I think they have a different one (or the same with a different configuration) for each knife size (length and thickness). You can see the whole process here:

Here's mine btw (and no, there's nothing on the other side):

« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 07:47:40 PM by Syem »

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 10:12:26 PM

It was completely free but it was only as part of this special event. I didn't want to have the red scales they were offering on my self-assembled knife so I bought some wooden ones before finishing the assembly (still took the red ones though :D ). I do believe however that you can somehow buy a kit and if you go to a specific place (there might be a list) with it they'll let you use the kit to assemble it. Maybe the other side of the main blade has the same engraving as I have on mine.

The "machine" is made to assemble the Spartan. I think they have a different one (or the same with a different configuration) for each knife size (length and thickness). You can see the whole process here:

Here's mine btw (and no, there's nothing on the other side):

(Image removed from quote.)

In october this year I visited the flagship store in Cologne (Köln). Unfortunately Vic doesn't sell the kits anymore.
BTW, prices were fairly high in this flagship store.

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 01, 2017, 11:02:17 PM
In october this year I visited the flagship store in Cologne (Köln). Unfortunately Vic doesn't sell the kits anymore.
BTW, prices were fairly high in this flagship store.

I guess they go for the MSRP... It's often easy to find better prices by digging around a bit.

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #12 on: December 02, 2017, 12:43:25 AM
Our government officials get 50% off when they visit the flagship store that's why a lot of them go home with luggages full of SAKs to sell or giveaway here  :twak:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%