Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pretty good 2xAAA flashlight for $4

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Pretty good 2xAAA flashlight for $4
on: November 30, 2017, 04:14:52 PM
I picked up a flashlight at my local 'Rural King' store the other day.

It's just called 'Tactical LED Flashlight 150 Lumen'.

It is about the same build quality as the 'Ultrafire' light that's all over Amazon (which is a singe AA light). And like the Ultrafire, it has a sliding head to focus it. But UNLIKE the Ultrafire, that sliding function is smooth. It has a decent, but not outstanding pocket clip and a tail click button that is nicely recessed. No way this thing is accidentally getting pressed.

I honestly think the claim of 150 lumens is accurate, compared to my Preon 1, a Thrunite Ti3, and a couple mini maglites. It has three modes that it cycles through: High, Low, and Strobe. When it's on high, and the beam is focussed as small as it will go, it's throws very well. On low and spread, it's still very bright. I don't know HOW bright, but I'd guess maybe 25 lumens. My only complaint is that there's no way to avoid that stupid strobe mode. If you turn the light on and it's on high, then turn it off, when you turn it back on again, it's low. Off and on again, and it's strobe. So, if all you want is low mode, you have to first cycle through strobe, then high.. .every time. Honestly, not a huge deal breaker for a $4 light.

I'm pleasantly surprised at the quality of low-end lights these days. if this were a single AAA light, I'd LOVE it.

Here's a link to the item on the Rural King site. You might be able to find it under other names on Amazon, ebay, aliexpress, deal extreme, etc.
https://www.ruralking.com/tactical-led-flashlight-150-lum.html

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Re: Pretty good 2xAAA flashlight for $4
Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 11:17:29 PM
Just an update on this.

I was wrong about the function on this. If you let it sit for 5 seconds or so, it will come on in high mode, NOT the next mode. That's a good bit less annoying, IMO.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 11:18:35 PM
:tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 11:43:45 PM
Nice one Lynn :like: :like:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 05:15:56 AM
Some day, I'll do a battery test on this thing, to see how long it'll run in low and high modes.

So far, this thing is actually pretty nice. I've been using it off and on since i got it (taking the trash to the curb at night, that sort of thing)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%