Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Things I hate in 'Bug Out Bags', or... How to Start an Argument

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Things I hate in 'Bug Out Bags', or... How to Start an Argument
Reply #150 on: January 23, 2018, 09:50:09 AM
well since it hit the fan perhaps it would be appropriate to hear Lynn's thoughts of e-tools, trowels, spades and other digging utensils in these bobs

Did someone mention trowels in bobs? Here's mine though it's not a bob cause I don't know anyone called Bob :)

(Image removed from quote.)

I've got a couple of those ones, very useful.   :tu:   :like:

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #151 on: January 23, 2018, 10:24:41 AM
I honestly don't care for the cold steel special forces shovel because it doesn't fold.  I have a combo E-tool that folds so you can use the shovel like a pick which makes for easier digging and it has a spike on the other side for when you hit rocks or really compacted soil.  I have used it to dig fire pits for over 20 years. It is a bit heavy on a hike, but then it gets left in camp while we explore with light weight day packs. If I had to rely on a pocket size trowel to dig any holes I'd be there all day. 

key thing being it was made over 20 years ago. hate to sound like this but many things are not made to the same level of quality today

Outside of the CS shovel some I know are pretty good is the Glock e-tool and Gerber Nato e-tool (at least they used to be)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 10:26:26 AM by styx »
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #152 on: January 23, 2018, 07:52:13 PM
I don't like the Gerber tool either as it has a D handle rather than a long handle.  I find the long handle easier to work with especially if the shovel is folded to use as a pick. The German surplus E-tools are about the best in the business.

de Offline Shuya

Reply #153 on: October 28, 2018, 09:20:31 AM
Just found this topic. Read almost everything, amazing views. Hope you dont mind me beeing a grave digger.
Not going to reply to all.

My humble view on all these survival kits is a bit different from most of you. Since living in central europe I really dont have a survival kit as a stand alone thing. However I pack some things while hiking, fitting the circumstances of my environment.

To the knife thing: I hike a lot, backpacking in remote areas. And to be honest: Ive never ever seen anyone carry a fixed blade when being more than 3 dayhikes away from the nearest city. Why? You dont need it. Dead weight. For fires I use my pocket knife, never been an issue. Id rather carry a small folding saw than a >4inch blade. Some long distance hikers even go with a classic only.
Ive beaten a SAK when I was a child playing in the woods. Those tools can do amazing things. And for most survival shelters you dont even have to cut down trees, or the saw on your SAK will do the job.
When I see guys with fixed blades I am near civilisation and those dudes often carry some sort of tactical backpack and stuff.  :think:

That brings me to the other points mentioned in the first topic.
What is often missed in all those videos is the following: Your first defense is your clothing. Not the emergency stuff in your backpack. Dress for the environment, carry weather protection.
I often see guys in black/camo/khaki clothes tell you to carry a signal mirror to be seen. Really? Those guys missed the first and most important lession in beeing found: be visible. When out in the mountain range I carry a bright red backpack, a bright orange rainjacket, my fleece is red or in some other bright color, too. You better look like a freaking parrot when injured and waiting for the resucue folks and not like a bush or rock.
Color doesnt cost anything, it doesnt weight anything, yet it can save your life.

Oh and those "medikits" in the small survival kits....containing like 5 bandaids. Dude, seriously? What emergency are you going to deal with with 5 bandaids? Everyone who has proper training and/or been in a real emergency will just shake his head.
Get a real kit. And get training. Stop this bullsmurf.

Most of the kits are build around the boys dream of beeing lost in the wood. How many disasters are like that? I would estimate that more emergencies happen with some ressources or equipment around you rather than beeing in the woods/desert/...
So a Multitool to repair, harvest, forage is better than that builky fixed blade. Oh and if you want to pry, add a crowbar.  :twak:

Proper clothes, a lightweight bivybag, first aid kid, a map+compass or GPS, Headlight, pocket knife and a whistle plus a phone will get you through a lot of trouble. Stay warm, stay dry and you will make that 3 days without carrying an extra backpack.
Thats what I carry when out in the mountain range or when hiking alone.
You dont want to build up a new civilisation or go camping with your kit.

Just my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 09:41:46 AM by Shuya »

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #154 on: October 28, 2018, 09:48:25 AM
No problem in some grave digging.

Especialy not when it's such a sensible and well worded post :salute:

When I was younger I felt the need for an "all out survival bag".
These days however, I evolved into a similar mindset as yours.
I do find a larger folding knife can be a great addition though. Especialy when there can be dangerous wildlife around. (If guns aren't allowed like here in Europe)

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #155 on: October 28, 2018, 10:35:53 AM
If you’re going to bring a big knife because of the wild animals, it might be a good idea to make sure you know how to use it.  :think:
So, training!
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #156 on: October 28, 2018, 10:47:14 AM
I think I would reach for a big stick before a knife.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #157 on: October 28, 2018, 11:03:41 AM
Me too, but then again, I don’t know how to use a knife.

All hail the hook!

de Offline Shuya

Reply #158 on: October 28, 2018, 11:39:58 AM
If you feel like threatened from animals...first thing should be avoiding them. Either by walking away or by letting them know you are there.
How many animals actually attack humans on purpose? And how many of these attacks are defendable? I mean, if a cougar or something like that is sneaking up from behind in the night...good luck reaching for anything in time.
Other than that, pepperspray would make a good addition, for keeping some folks away, too.
I carry one in my EDC. When beeing out in the town at night with my girlfriend and little daugher running away is not an option, stabbing them, neither. So I hope for the best and keep pepperspray at reach.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 11:48:04 AM by Shuya »

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #159 on: October 28, 2018, 12:36:24 PM
A stick being waved around might help scare an animal away or be used to keep it at bay as well as for whacking it. I doubt animals are scared of knives.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #160 on: October 28, 2018, 01:39:17 PM
A stick being waved around might help scare an animal away or be used to keep it at bay as well as for whacking it. I doubt animals are scared of knives.
Good point.

All hail the hook!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #161 on: October 28, 2018, 03:59:31 PM
Most of the kits are build around the boys dream of beeing lost in the wood. How many disasters are like that?

Probably my single biggest gripe about "survival" stuff.  :salute: everything seems to always revolve around being in the woods with an abundance of natural materials, and nothing man made. Wouldn't work on peat moorland where there's no trees and a fire would set the smurfing ground on fire. Wouldn't work if the thing you were trying to survive was fire or flood. Wouldn't work if you were already injured and exhausted. It only works if you're of good health, in a material abundant situation, no immediate hazards, nobody with you who's in hysterics or who needs constant attention. Complete nonsense. Going rough camping and calling it survival training, is like calling yourself a surgeon because you can clip your own toenails.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #162 on: October 28, 2018, 05:38:41 PM
Going rough camping and calling it survival training, is like calling yourself a surgeon because you can clip your own toenails.

:rofl: :rofl:
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #163 on: October 29, 2018, 05:48:07 AM
Regarding the animals:
Pepperspray is considered a first class weapon here. So illegal.

When you're walking in the forrest and end up standing in between a wild boar and it's child, you won't have time to search for a big stick.

Don't overturn this whole topic from extreme BOBs to "even a folding knife is never needed".

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #164 on: October 29, 2018, 11:28:07 AM
Most of the kits are build around the boys dream of beeing lost in the wood. How many disasters are like that? I would estimate that more emergencies happen with some ressources or equipment around you rather than beeing in the woods/desert/...
I agree a BOB/Survival Kit is like the EDC, very individual and strongly depending on where you are, what you plan on doing and what your abilities are.

I would like to add that building a shelter/camp is way overrated and could kill you, especially if water is scarce. If you read this story on knife news: Man Survives Four Days Lost in the Mountains with Buck 110, you will realize that his "survival skills" almost killed the man. Had he not lost his lighter he would probably have ended up so dehydrated that he could not save himself anymore.
Preparing does not just mean "bring as much gear as possible", but think about exit strategy / inform someone where you are going, and when you will be back etc.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline GrandpaPatch

Reply #165 on: November 02, 2018, 04:48:38 AM
I agree a BOB/Survival Kit is like the EDC, very individual and strongly depending on where you are, what you plan on doing and what your abilities are.

I would like to add that building a shelter/camp is way overrated and could kill you, especially if water is scarce. If you read this story on knife news: Man Survives Four Days Lost in the Mountains with Buck 110, you will realize that his "survival skills" almost killed the man. Had he not lost his lighter he would probably have ended up so dehydrated that he could not save himself anymore.
Preparing does not just mean "bring as much gear as possible", but think about exit strategy / inform someone where you are going, and when you will be back etc.

So this man (Hutter) was out hiking without water, flashlight or map/compass (or knowledge) of local area and did not know where he was going when he "stepped off the path for a moment, and then couldn’t find it again.". Then he proceeded to walk in an unknown direction for 2 hours? It wasn't that a Buck 110 saved his life or losing a lighter saved his life...IT WAS BLIND LUCK THAT HIS STUPIDITY DID NOT KILL HIM!
The SAK Whittling Club |
Is it better to carry a 'paddle' or to be "up a creek" without one?

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #166 on: November 02, 2018, 08:10:22 AM

So this man (Hutter) was out hiking without water, flashlight or map/compass (or knowledge) of local area and did not know where he was going when he "stepped off the path for a moment, and then couldn’t find it again.". Then he proceeded to walk in an unknown direction for 2 hours? It wasn't that a Buck 110 saved his life or losing a lighter saved his life...IT WAS BLIND LUCK THAT HIS STUPIDITY DID NOT KILL HIM!
Saddest part is that he is thinking about teaching survival to others :facepalm:

Of course it was sheer luck. But loosing the lighter made him walk away from the camp and allowed luck to save him. I of course primarily mention the lighter as item that "saved" him, because his plan for the future is to carry 2 lighters.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #167 on: November 02, 2018, 08:51:19 AM
Everyone who survives something like that needs luck.

He did know what to eat, how to build camp. I'm not going to say he's an expert. But luck is always needed.

If you're a true survival expert out there on your own, but you break a leg... it might kill you.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #168 on: November 02, 2018, 10:27:26 AM
When you're walking in the forrest and end up standing in between a wild boar and it's child, you won't have time to search for a big stick.
Taking on such an animal in such a situation would be my absolute last resort. One would probably be bitten and/or gored before they can stick a knife in. Using trees for cover, putting my pack or anything else between myself and the animal, making lots of noise, throwing rocks or using a stick (they are actually quite common in forests)...
I would still want a knife to reach for if it came to that.
Don't overturn this whole topic from extreme BOBs to "even a folding knife is never needed".
I didn't.  :pok:
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 10:28:59 AM by Syncop8r »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #169 on: November 02, 2018, 01:12:00 PM
Everyone who survives something like that needs luck.

He did know what to eat, how to build camp. I'm not going to say he's an expert. But luck is always needed.

If you're a true survival expert out there on your own, but you break a leg... it might kill you.
The problem in this story is, that his knowledge almost got him killed and that he does not realize that. And while there is no problem with being lucky, the whole point of survival skills is to not rely on luck.
To me, survival skills are not just knowing how to build a camp, it is also to understand what it means if you build a camp and why you are building a camp (just building a camp because some dude on a survival channel suggested it seems ridiculous).
Survival also means to re-evaluate your decisions (which he did).

In short survival skills are not just to know how to make a fire, but also when to make a fire.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #170 on: November 02, 2018, 03:19:23 PM
Heading out unprepared was a mistake.  Not telling anyone where he was going and when to expect him back was a mistake.  "Stepping off trail" was a mistake since all he prepared for was a 15 min hike. 

He made the fire and found prickly pears.

This thread is about what Lynn hated about BOBs.  I'm pretty certain if he had a few more pieces of gear ( even gear she hates ) he might have "camped" a little longer.  Making the decision to venture out and find rescue was a good decision.

His scenario is exactly what kills many who venture out thinking they'll "only" be out for an hour or less.  His story, I mean this with NO DISRESPECT at all, is one of a cautionary tale. 

Even his tongue in cheek “I sometimes take an extra lighter, now,” he laughingly admits. is lame.  He said he burned all fuel he could find then oddly the writer says he lost his lighter while trying to light a larger signal fire  :dunno:

While the thread is about BOBs and some gear Lynn hates I again say, To each their own.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline GrandpaPatch

Reply #171 on: November 03, 2018, 07:16:00 AM
Very interesting OP and a mix of replies that follow that range from good information to just out right hilarious. 1) Tactical Stuff: I live in the desert and own a digi-desert camo backpack. Is it cool? No. Was it the best pack available and at the cheapest price that I could find in my area so that I could go camping for a week with my son? Yes. Nothing Tactical or Tacticool about it. It is just a backpack. Does it have MOLLE webbing on it? Yes. I found it convenient for attaching a few items to the backpack. I also wear Khaki pants. They have pockets that I can actually use. I can even get my hands into the front pocket while my Sig Sauer P238 is in my pocket and bothering no one. AND....the pants are cheaper than Wrangler, Levi, whatever other denim pants you prefer. 2) Fixed Blade Knife: Do I own a couple of these? Yes. The oldest fixed blade knife I have is my Ka-Bar, which I got in 1984 in the US Marines. Do I have an attachment to that particular knife? Yes. It has been with me to more place and through more trying situations than anything my wife can put me through in the last 30+ years. Do I carry my Ka-Bar on my belt when I am going to the store? No. Do I carry it when I am out wandering around in the desert? Yes. Do I fight off lions, tigers and bear with it? No. 3) Firearms: I'm in the desert and rattle snakes are a problem. Leave them alone and 99.9% of the time they will leave you alone. For the .1% of the time (and it has not happen to me yet) that the snakes (no legged or two legged variety) don't want to leave me alone, I carry The Judge with .410 000 Buck shells. Do I carry a firearm everyday? Yes. Have I had to use a firearm to defend against a civilian threat while being a civilian myself? No, and I would like to keep it that way.

So I think that is my response to some of the questions I have seen directly or implied over the last 6 pages of replies to the OP. The only thing I can add are these few comments 1) Always plan for the worst while hoping for the best. 2) I do not have a BOB, INCH, GHB or other bag or backpack set aside for a '72hr' scenario. I live in town and the safest place for me and my family is to stay in the house. Let the rest of the lunatics loot the public stores stealing TV's claiming they were stealing needed supplies, drive to their BOL (Bug Out Location) or run for the hills (that a long way from where I'm at) and fight with the others who also think that running off to the woods is their best bet. I do have an EDC pouch (posted elsewhere) that is always being evaluated and changed as needed. 3) In the event that I had to employ a '72hr' bag (and could not be at home) it would be filled with PayDay candy bars, bottled water and cigarettes. Then I would just have to find some shade and wait it out.
The SAK Whittling Club |
Is it better to carry a 'paddle' or to be "up a creek" without one?

au Offline Valkie

Reply #172 on: November 03, 2018, 10:31:33 AM

We have lots of nice animals who have absolutely zero fear of knives.

Lovely snakes, some of the most poisonous in the world in fact, no fear of man and some will even chase you......run away fast.

We have spiders, lots and lots of spiders, again, some of the deadliest in the world.
The Sydney funnel web can bite through a leather boot. It's not afraid of people either.

We have big birds from little pluvers and magpie, up to emus and cassowary that really are a piece of work. They have killed people.

We have lovely kangaroos, so nice to look at aren't they?
Did you know, they fight by grabbing you with their arms and holding on, then they balance on their tails and use their seriously powerful rear legs to eviscerate you.
Up in the north, some grow over 6 to 8 feet tall, not something you want to aggravate.

We have bush pigs with nasty tusks and even salt water crocks (mud guppies) that even take on sharks.

In the water we have fish that look like stones, and kill you with poison when you step on them
Jellyfish, that you can't see that kill you in 60 seconds
Sharks, some bigger than the toy used in Jaws.
Even shell fish with harpoons that are poisonous.

And that's not even considering all the nasties that bite, sting, and do all manner of things that don't kill you.

What I'm trying to say is that a knife against these little creatures is about as useful as post hole digger in a boat.

With Australian animals, the best course of action is to avoid or run.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 10:34:23 AM by Valkie »
tools is what defines us as humans

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #173 on: November 03, 2018, 04:14:56 PM
Your application with the Aus board of tourism has been denied, thank you. 
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #174 on: November 03, 2018, 04:22:28 PM
:facepalm:

Could my post be taken out of context even further? :shrug:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #175 on: November 03, 2018, 04:37:53 PM
:facepalm:

Could my post be taken out of context even further? :shrug:
We’re all on a derailed tangent, having fun.

All hail the hook!

us Offline superpaco

• Bigly bragadocious
Reply #176 on: November 04, 2018, 02:39:57 PM
Your application with the Aus board of tourism has been denied, thank you.

:rofl:I spit out my coffee (only narrowly missing my phone) when I read this!  :rofl:
Life is hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it.

au Offline Valkie

Reply #177 on: November 11, 2018, 11:26:45 PM
Just stating facts.

We have a beautiful country, but some really nasty and angry animals.

We have this beautiful spider called a whistling tarantula.

My wife had one as a pet for a while, until the damn heater in the terrarium carked it and the spider died in winter.

The spider was what is known a s a new world spider.
Old world spiders can be handled and are generally reasonably docile.
New world spiders are generally not handled because they are seriously aggressive, very fast and even the the ones considered non poisonous ones have enough poison to make you quite ill.

Anyhoo, the whistling tarantula is a new world spider and feeding it was quite the Adrenalin rush .
Just opening the cage brought it to attention.
Drop the cockroach  (woodbug) into the cage and it shot out of its hole, straight at the roach, the speed and aggression gave you a start every single time.
It wont kill you if it bites, you just throw up and feel intense pain for 24 to 48 hours.

Its about 10 cm across, (about 4 inches) but has been known to grow up to 15 cm (6 inches)

The Sydney funnel web is much nastier.
It goes hunting for a female, and nothing gets in its way
Anything that does gets walked over or bitten.
Dogs and cats are imune, humans are not and its very very toxic.

But my little favorite is the Blue Ringed Octopus.
Tiny thing, about 25 to 40 cm in size, lives around rocky shoreline where people fish and kids play.
Its quite reclusive, and requires a bit to get it out of its hole.
And when you do it gets all these pretty iridescent blue circles all over its body
THIS MEANS ITS REALLY REALY ANGRY.

They people say, Oh How pretty and put it on their arms.
It bites them
The toxin stops the heart, the lungs and you die, usually in about 2-3 minutes, unless CPR is administered until you get to hospital.

Yet very few Aussies die from all the toxic, aggressive and nasty animals we have.
Because in general, we leave the nasty things alone.
We don't play with them
We don't annoy them and we don't hunt them.

:pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok:

* download.jpg (Filesize: 11.4 KB)
funnel-web-spider.jpg
* funnel-web-spider.jpg (Filesize: 111.81 KB)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 11:29:34 PM by Valkie »
tools is what defines us as humans

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #178 on: November 12, 2018, 05:32:00 AM
Just stating facts.

We have a beautiful country, but some really nasty and angry animals.

We have this beautiful spider called a whistling tarantula.

My wife had one as a pet for a while, until the damn heater in the terrarium carked it and the spider died in winter.

The spider was what is known a s a new world spider.
Old world spiders can be handled and are generally reasonably docile.
New world spiders are generally not handled because they are seriously aggressive, very fast and even the the ones considered non poisonous ones have enough poison to make you quite ill.

Anyhoo, the whistling tarantula is a new world spider and feeding it was quite the Adrenalin rush .
Just opening the cage brought it to attention.
Drop the cockroach  (woodbug) into the cage and it shot out of its hole, straight at the roach, the speed and aggression gave you a start every single time.
It wont kill you if it bites, you just throw up and feel intense pain for 24 to 48 hours.

Its about 10 cm across, (about 4 inches) but has been known to grow up to 15 cm (6 inches)

The Sydney funnel web is much nastier.
It goes hunting for a female, and nothing gets in its way
Anything that does gets walked over or bitten.
Dogs and cats are imune, humans are not and its very very toxic.

But my little favorite is the Blue Ringed Octopus.
Tiny thing, about 25 to 40 cm in size, lives around rocky shoreline where people fish and kids play.
Its quite reclusive, and requires a bit to get it out of its hole.
And when you do it gets all these pretty iridescent blue circles all over its body
THIS MEANS ITS REALLY REALY ANGRY.

They people say, Oh How pretty and put it on their arms.
It bites them
The toxin stops the heart, the lungs and you die, usually in about 2-3 minutes, unless CPR is administered until you get to hospital.

Yet very few Aussies die from all the toxic, aggressive and nasty animals we have.
Because in general, we leave the nasty things alone.
We don't play with them
We don't annoy them and we don't hunt them.

:pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok:
I don’t want one of those spiders in my bug-out-bag. :whistle:

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #179 on: November 12, 2018, 10:20:42 AM
I don’t want one of those spiders in my bug-out-bag. :whistle:

Well, they just might keep bugs out of your bag...  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!