Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

First Tool but which?

LOWW · 59 · 3359

Offline LOWW

First Tool but which?
on: December 01, 2017, 05:37:22 PM
Hi from good old Europe
In some (stupid) country its illegal to carry a knife.  :facepalm:
So maybe I would buy some without. I saw there is one but yea...

With a Knife which one is the must durable? I am an IT Technical and need some who allow me to me to repair an Laptop when I travel around.
Our Company get an huge discount on the Tools so Price is the lowest priory.
Thanks!

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: First Tool but which?
Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 07:38:26 PM
Welcome to MTO.  A knifeless Leatherman Rebar or knifeless Gerber MP-600 are the obvious choices in a pliers based multitool but for an IT tech you might do very well with a Victorinox Cybertool 34 or 41 because they have a precision driver and still have a non-locking knife.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 07:43:57 PM
Welcome to :MTO: and I agree with Alan that for a non locking blade a SAK might serve you better :salute: The MTs he mentioned would also be good choices though :cheers:

Good luck with the search :like:

Offline LOWW

Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 10:20:06 PM
I just get Leatherman Products. We order directly from 2Brüder who owns (a part?!) Leatherman.
Without a Knife the Knifeless Rebar is the best choice.

I looking for an Outdoor/ City one to. How about the Surge?
The best thing ist black and good to use in the Night.  :D

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 04:54:08 PM
The discontinued Blast has swappable removable mini screw drivers for the precision work sometimes needed to open laptops. Discontinued original Surge has one as well, and also has a bigger swappable bit driver. Can't speak to the newer version of the Surge, as the drivers are dedicated, but larger.

Neither are available any longer, so might I suggest a PS4. Small, light package with a very good plyers for the size, and small screw driver and scissors. A very very good first tier tool.

The full size tools have served me well (PST, PST II, Blast, Surge, Rebar) but none in current production has the precision screw drivers, So I'd try the PS4

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 08:34:28 PM
I just get Leatherman Products. We order directly from 2Brüder who owns (a part?!) Leatherman.
Without a Knife the Knifeless Rebar is the best choice.

I looking for an Outdoor/ City one to. How about the Surge?
The best thing ist black and good to use in the Night.  :D

If you would be able to carry a Surge (especially a black one) :dd: then you definitely should get one of those :like: The knifeless Rebar for your work carry would also be great then :tu:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 09:27:24 PM
Do laptops have recessed phillips screws? I'm wondering how the Surge's bits would perform against them.... :think:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 02:26:27 AM
Squirt E4 (I have had bad luck with the Leatherman Squirt scissors, the spring breaks if the tool is left closed for an extended period of time, and it adds an eyeglass screwdriver and awl in place of the lackluster scissors), and one of those multi-bit precision screwdriver sets.  Of course, a Victorinox CyberTool series Swiss Army Knife isn't a bad choice, either to go with the Squirt.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 05:00:20 AM
Do laptops have recessed phillips screws? I'm wondering how the Surge's bits would perform against them.... :think:

Laptops can vary from one brand to the next. Some are dead simple to crack open, others are assembled in layers like some kind of electronic puzzle box. So... Yeah, some have recessed screws.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 04:47:19 PM

Original version of Surge!! Is among my favorites. I only didn't push it because of size and weight. P4 or PS4 are very very good for their size. But SURGE!! has a long, thin bit changer with double ended bit (tiny Phillips and tiny flat) which may work on smaller recessed screws and glasses. You may want to remove it from the heavy tool first and wrap some tape around it at halfway mark to use for finer work. And it has another more "normal" size bit changer that is shorter and stubbier and holds a 1-2 Philips bit with a 3/16" flatbread on the other end. That one has worked for me in removing power supply screws from the back of desktop computers and various other such screws

The serrated blade makes quick work of cutting Velcro strips off of a roll, while the scissors make it easy to kill zip-ties from a bundle of wires (replaced with said Velcro when possible). If for some reason I need to save the zip-tie, I can fiddle around using the awl and usually unlock  it for reuse. The handle edges are rolled for when you really need to get on the plyers and turn (not twist) a stubborn bolt. Certainly the wire cutters I've used to cut the end off of Cat6 to renew connections, and the can/ bottle opener makes a great package opener, and can be used for its intended purpose when it's Miller Time. The nylon sheath that came with the Surge has elastic side pockets that are a  perfect fit for the MagLite Solitaire.

And when I'm not at work the plain edge blade and saw come into more use when I'm hiking or camping, and the plyers and heavier screw drivers are used more around the house or working on the car.

If you can get away with one- hand opening  and locking knives, and the size and weight, then the SURGE is the ONE tool I would get for life in general if I could get only one.

I till stand by the PS4 for light work. Great tool for the size and money

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 09:18:11 PM

Laptops can vary from one brand to the next. Some are dead simple to crack open, others are assembled in layers like some kind of electronic puzzle box. So... Yeah, some have recessed screws.
Past week I exchanged the SSD on a MacMini (late 2014 model). Took me over 30 min... ok, I had to do it again and the 2nd time I was a lot faster, but with that model you have to disassemble the computer entirely to get to the HDD. :facepalm:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

Offline LOWW

Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 11:11:51 AM
How good is the saw for example? I have 3 Victorynox Tools or how the spell at Home and the are mostly crap.  :twak:
When I have the Choice between the "Swiss Knife" and an Glock Shovel I would choose the last one.  :drool:

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 12:25:44 PM
How good is the saw for example? I have 3 Victorynox Tools or how the spell at Home and the are mostly crap.  :twak:
When I have the Choice between the "Swiss Knife" and an Glock Shovel I would choose the last one.  :drool:

You have three vicotrinox tools that are crap? How sure are you that they are actually vicotrinox and not some knock off?  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 12:39:12 PM
even though the most useful tool ever is this Sonic Screwdriver, the Surge next to it is a worthy second option for a standalone, jack of all trades tool, and the one I'd recommend if you can handle the weight   :salute:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 03:05:21 PM

I would like to see some photos of these crappy tools.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #15 on: December 06, 2017, 03:13:17 PM

Either you've got one of the awful knockoffs, or you're using it wrong.  I've had issues with every modern Leatherman I've bought new(i.e, Micra with loose scissors, stiff ST300 with dull plain blade, and worst of all, the design flaw on Squirt PS4 where the unreplaceable scissors spring breaks if the tool is closed for an extended period), but not a single Victorinox I own, which date to as old as WWII to purchased last week.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 03:20:38 PM by cody6268 »

Offline LOWW

Reply #16 on: December 06, 2017, 03:16:37 PM

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #17 on: December 06, 2017, 03:17:54 PM
I think its this: https://www.victorinox.com/de/de/Produkte/Schweizer-Taschenmesser/Mittlere-Taschenmesser/Deluxe-Tinker/p/1.4723
I never need on of the function exclude the Knife.

You have three Deluxe Tinkers? Again, how about some photos, taken by you.

Offline LOWW

Reply #18 on: December 06, 2017, 03:22:29 PM
sure if i would know where it is at the moment.  >:D

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: December 06, 2017, 03:24:16 PM
Yeah, photo of the actual knife would be nice. Vicorinox is know for many things, crappy tools are not one of them.  :D

I get that you might not need those tools (not even scissors? Who does not need scissors? And vic scissors are one of the best small scissors out there, multitool or not.), but you can get a sak with a saw and the saw is once again one of the best saws. You can also get bigger saks which means a bigger saw. Or the spirit multiool. I have a hard time believing you live in a world where a shovel is more useful than a sak?  : :D

Anyway the thing is, if your sak is in fact a fake, as many in this thread seem to think, you are in for a pleasant surprise if you get the original.  :climber: If you actually don't like sak-s that should be no problem as letherman has many tools that are great.  :multi:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 03:26:26 PM by lister »
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

fi Offline Telajänis

Reply #20 on: December 06, 2017, 03:35:22 PM
I work in IT, mainly with servers, but I've had to do some tinkering with laptops at the office, upgrades to SSDs, adding or changing RAM and the like, and I have a Vic CT34 and a Wave, and they get me through any tool needs aside from if something needs security torx bits, as I don't have those, but I've net to encounter electronics that need them. The CT's biggest weakness is that the only hex bit included on the tool is too large for most cases in computer eletronics using hex screws.

So I'd say the CT is your best bet for a compact option that covers most of your needs, or you get a wave and a bit kit and a sheath that can hold both, which will cover just about every possible scenario  :multi:

Offline LOWW

Reply #21 on: May 21, 2018, 04:35:55 PM
So I need an new Accu Pack from LedLenser and will buy an Leatherman.
I also will buy a Bike to and it would be nice to have something to repair.

Get the Surge? It must also be Prepper Ready.  :D

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #22 on: May 21, 2018, 06:37:23 PM
We’re still waiting for the SAK pics.  :whistle: :D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: May 21, 2018, 09:20:05 PM
We’re still waiting for the SAK pics.  :whistle: :D

+1

He means pictures from those 3 Victorynox Tools or how the spell at Home.

You could also trade them if you don't like them  :whistle:

Offline LOWW

Reply #24 on: May 21, 2018, 09:52:09 PM
I have to find that crap.  :D I guess I had then 15 Years ago in my Hand.

Offline LOWW

Reply #25 on: June 18, 2018, 06:09:34 PM
So I will buy today an Tool. It must be compatible with the Bit Kit: https://www.leatherman.com/bit-kit-127.html?cgid=accessories#start=1
There are bits who are good to use for me as an IT Engeneer.

I still sayed before I will need an Tool who can help me survive an Terrorist, Left Wing and Military Attack in an Urban Area.  :climber:
I also would prefare an Wire cutter and a Saw.

Charge® + TTi https://www.leatherman.com/charge-tti-7.html ?

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: June 18, 2018, 06:26:49 PM
Nice  :tu:
Don't forget to add the bit kit  :D

Offline LOWW

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake