Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fol-able Shovel?

LOWW · 10 · 886

Offline LOWW

Fol-able Shovel?
on: December 01, 2017, 05:43:40 PM
Hi
I still search for an fold able Shovel. I looking in many outdoort Online Shops here and the most look like some Toys.
I pre-fare this: https://eu.glock.com/en/products/glock-entrenching-tools that's what the Austrian Military use.  :drool:
Does anyone here use it? I like the way where the Saw is.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Fol-able Shovel?
Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 10:07:56 PM
I have heard good things about the Glock shovel although I have never personally used one.  I have a folding SOG Entrenching Tool and the Gerber Gorge shovel and I have abused the heck out of both of them.  The Gerber did a great job of cracking through some solid ice last year:

http://multitool.org/blog/gerber-gorge-folding-shovel

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 10:17:01 PM
I have had a couple of these German E-Tools for quite a few years and they are tough as nails.
entrenching-tools-3-of-3.jpg
* entrenching-tools-3-of-3.jpg (Filesize: 203.87 KB)
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 08:13:24 PM
It's not a folding shovel, but I like the idea of the Cold Steel Special Forces Shovel. It has a short hardwood handle, and you can sharpen an edge to act like a hatchet. They're also pretty inexpensive. The design is very simple, so not much can go wrong with it.

I don't like shovels and entrenching tools and such that have a lot of moving parts. They look like points of failure waiting to happen.

Offline LOWW

Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 11:26:42 AM
ups I forgott to select the notify thing.  ::)

I have a folding SOG Entrenching Tool and the Gerber Gorge shovel
does the have a usable saw?  :think:
so not much can go wrong with it.
When you travel by Public Transport its not the best solution.
I also want an good Saw.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 01:46:10 AM
ups I forgott to select the notify thing.  ::)

I have a folding SOG Entrenching Tool and the Gerber Gorge shovel
does the have a usable saw?  :think:
so not much can go wrong with it.
When you travel by Public Transport its not the best solution.
I also want an good Saw.

Neither of the ones I have include a saw, but I believe there are versions that do.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 01:47:43 AM
It's not a folding shovel, but I like the idea of the Cold Steel Special Forces Shovel. It has a short hardwood handle, and you can sharpen an edge to act like a hatchet. They're also pretty inexpensive. The design is very simple, so not much can go wrong with it.

I don't like shovels and entrenching tools and such that have a lot of moving parts. They look like points of failure waiting to happen.

I agree. I also have the Cold Steel shovel and I like it because I have more confidence in its strength, however I was really impressed last year with the amount of abuse both the folding shovels put up with last year.

Def

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 05:13:26 AM
I agree. I also have the Cold Steel shovel and I like it because I have more confidence in its strength, however I was really impressed last year with the amount of abuse both the folding shovels put up with last year.

Huh. Good to know.  :tu:

I think maybe part of my fear is that the ones I've had have been cheapos. I guess well made ones are a different beast.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 12:07:32 PM

I think maybe part of my fear is that the ones I've had have been cheapos. I guess well made ones are a different beast.

and in case you're attacked by evil pieces of meat or North Korean ballistic soldiers it will double as an excellent weapon... :whistle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOaEjJz-6jg
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 04:10:20 PM

You can read all about it and see pics of what I did here:

http://multitool.org/blog/gerber-gorge-folding-shovel

I would say that the straight bar handle of the Gerber is probably a lot stronger than the folded pipe handle of an entrenching tool, but I have been impressed with the strength of both- they were both tougher than I expected.

The SOG wasn't punished quite as hard as the Gerber, but I have dug through a three foot high frozen pile of snow and ice left by a plow to allow people to get though with it.  A lot of stuff (dirty snow and ice) chipped up into my face, so I highly recommend some kind of eye protection (at least) when using these things on tough surfaces like ice.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%