Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

"Military Watch"?

LOWW · 38 · 2400

Offline LOWW

"Military Watch"?
on: December 01, 2017, 10:29:13 PM
Hi
Some Company claim to produce Military Watches. So what should be the difference between Mil and non Mil Watches?
Maybe I will get a Watch but I refuse the crime rate here increase and I have fear that someone steal it.  :ahhh

br Offline BleaKrytE

• Hello world. I'm Vinícius!
Re: "Military Watch"?
Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 10:35:35 PM
Military watches are usually way sturdier than normal ones. Also have many other features, like solar charging, gps for adjusting time zones, compass, etc

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
Uni student, environmental activist (yes, I'm that annoying guy that mentions climate change every third minute), motorcyclist.

br Offline BleaKrytE

• Hello world. I'm Vinícius!
Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 10:36:20 PM
Casio has a line of them, I don't quite remember the name though.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
Uni student, environmental activist (yes, I'm that annoying guy that mentions climate change every third minute), motorcyclist.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 11:41:57 PM
As I recall, all watches worn on the wrist are descendants of military watches.  I believe it was during WWI that soldiers started wearing pocket watches on their wrists because it was easier than pulling out a pocket watch all the time, and it caught on when they returned home.

I could have my facts slightly askew, but that is the story I have been told.  I don't know how accurate it is.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 12:02:42 AM
As I recall, all watches worn on the wrist are descendants of military watches.  I believe it was during WWI that soldiers started wearing pocket watches on their wrists because it was easier than pulling out a pocket watch all the time, and it caught on when they returned home.

I could have my facts slightly askew, but that is the story I have been told.  I don't know how accurate it is.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watch Scroll down to "Wrissmurfch" - looks like they were around earlier than that but became popular because of WW1.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 12:10:25 AM

Def

Grant is pretty much spot on, that also held true for the development of the wrist watch.

Watches were commonly issued up until around the 1990's, after that they tended to be a need basis, pilots, navigators and 'some' but not all special forces. The watches are also built to the same requirement as all military kit, simple, reliable and either disposable or easy to repair. A heck of a lot soldiers wear casios, but they aren't issued with them. Oh and god help them if the hour chime or any beeps/alarms happen.

My issue watch is the Cabot Watch Company General Service watch, Issued to me in 96 because I had a need for it (and I destroyed my previous one  :oops:).

The lesson here is you give a poor underpaid soldier something that can be 'lost', they will get sold, because soldiers are horribly underpaid.

Mine

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 01:58:32 AM
As an update have a squint at this https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/108746/response/270595/attach/html/3/99109A36.doc.html

You'll notice the GSW is the least issued watch, so it's got a lot worse since my day
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 05:37:58 PM
Is there a military that equips its soldiers with watches?
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 06:06:07 PM

On the whole the answer is no, most soldiers have G-Shocks, defence procurement is such a drawn out and expensive process and casios are inexpensive.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 06:13:07 PM
Pretty much everyone drafted into the army here gets a G-Shock and an LM Wave from family and friends or they save up for them. Unfortunately when I went in my family were still in the UK, my friends poor and I had saved up my money for sunglasses. :D I had a decent Citizen chronograph my dad had given me when I was 14. It lasted ten years of 24/7 and when it eventually died my dad bought me a new one, he said I had proven that I was a good investment for his gifts.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 06:25:32 PM
Pretty much everyone drafted into the army here gets a G-Shock and an LM Wave from family and friends or they save up for them. Unfortunately when I went in my family were still in the UK, my friends poor and I had saved up my money for sunglasses. :D I had a decent Citizen chronograph my dad had given me when I was 14. It lasted ten years of 24/7 and when it eventually died my dad bought me a new one, he said I had proven that I was a good investment for his gifts.

I forgot about the IDF  :facepalm:

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 06:33:08 PM

Nah, we weren't issued them at all. I don't remember anything of the sort issued to be honest and I'm sure it's no different now 16 years later. We did get a good Gillette Mach 3 if that helps? :D My wife 'borrowed' it when we got married and suddenly it wasn't mine any more. :D I've still got my sewing kit in BoB actually as well as my 'Israeli Bandage' which was standard issue. I was too English and proper to borrow quite as much as my compatriots might have :)
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 06:47:36 PM

Nah, we weren't issued them at all. I don't remember anything of the sort issued to be honest and I'm sure it's no different now 16 years later. We did get a good Gillette Mach 3 if that helps? :D My wife 'borrowed' it when we got married and suddenly it wasn't mine any more. :D I've still got my sewing kit in BoB actually as well as my 'Israeli Bandage' which was standard issue. I was too English and proper to borrow quite as much as my compatriots might have :)

You got a Mach 3, luxury! I got a pack of 5 disposables BIC's!

I've got a lot of respect for IDF, I've served and worked with them for many years  :salute:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 08:00:38 PM
It seems strange that they expect you to provide something that is relied upon so heavily for your 'job'.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 08:35:05 PM

You got a Mach 3, luxury! I got a pack of 5 disposables BIC's!

I've got a lot of respect for IDF, I've served and worked with them for many years  :salute:

And straight back to you lot as well!  :salute: my grandad was HLI (Dunkirk, D-Day, Antwerp), my great grandfather was Scots Guards (the Somme, 2nd battle, he got gassed which probably saved his life compared to going over the top!). 
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 08:40:24 PM by pomsbz »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: December 14, 2017, 06:07:42 PM
It seems strange that they expect you to provide something that is relied upon so heavily for your 'job'.

Yes and no.  Much of the issue items were selected because they could be purchased very inexpensively en masse.  Need I remind you what happened to the multitool currently issued to the Australian military?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: December 15, 2017, 08:59:34 AM

Yes and no.  Much of the issue items were selected because they could be purchased very inexpensively en masse.  Need I remind you what happened to the multitool currently issued to the Australian military?

(Image removed from quote.)

Def
But watches can be had really cheap... I mean here you get a "sporsmurfch" (watch + step counter) for free, if you buy 3 packs of gum. Seriously, bought in large quantities, you should be able to get a decent watch for really cheap.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #17 on: December 16, 2017, 04:04:25 AM

Depends on the unit. As a one size fits all, everyone get the same issue watch, doubt it. But there are unit buys and plenty of models of watch have NATO stock numbers as a result, particularly aviation. But even then, half the guys will have their own watch. G-shock is popular, so is Luminox.

There are also people who work in plain clothes who are issued a Rolex or Breitlieg, but you bring it back, account for it properly (using it to buy your way out of Kablamograd when it turns into Hang A Westerner Day), or buy it. Just like your escape money and spare IDs. :P Although those guys are usually diplomatic corps or missionaries.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: December 19, 2017, 06:59:00 PM

Def
But watches can be had really cheap... I mean here you get a "sporsmurfch" (watch + step counter) for free, if you buy 3 packs of gum. Seriously, bought in large quantities, you should be able to get a decent watch for really cheap.

Absolutely true- I remember buying cheap digital watches out of a vending machine for $1 about thirty years ago.  IN that time the price has probably gone down and the quality has probably come up, but even so I wouldn't want to trust precise military operational timing to one.

Def

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #19 on: December 19, 2017, 10:13:08 PM
Need I remind you what happened to the multitool currently issued to the Australian military?
I don't actually know what happened. Did personnel sell them off?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: December 19, 2017, 11:25:05 PM
Need I remind you what happened to the multitool currently issued to the Australian military?
I don't actually know what happened. Did personnel sell them off?

Probably, but that's not what I am talking about.

I was at SHOT a few years ago with J-Sews (aka Bob) and we snuck into the Schrade booth to look at these.  I believe there is a Shoot On Sight order for the two of us where Taylor Craplery is concerned, so we pretended to be someone else.

At any rate, Bob decided to show me just how pathetic the "Tough Tool" was and he crushed it in his bare hands.  You will notice the handles of the silver one in the pic above above are much closer than the black ones, which Bob didn't grab.

Now, Bob, for anyone who doesn't know, is a machinist, and they tend to have a pretty strong grip, so you could try to defend Schrade's honor by saying most people don't have bear traps at the ends of their wrists like Bob does, but you weren't there to see how little effort he put into bending the handles.  Seriously, they were in his hand for maybe a second or two, tops, and he barely put any pressure on them at all and look what happened.

And they expect the military to use these hunks of monkey poo.   :facepalm:

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: December 19, 2017, 11:28:49 PM
You can read the original sordid thread here:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,34807.0.html

Def

Offline RR1551

Reply #22 on: October 29, 2018, 08:41:50 PM
Bulletproof Eco

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
  • "My real name is Cosmo Pombal"
Reply #23 on: November 13, 2018, 05:33:21 AM
Some watch companies do have government contracts for watches like:  Marathon, Luminox, IWC, and in the past Hamilton.  Issued to Special Operators, and certain military occupations.  Other units, and especially pilots; will do group buys of a particular favored brand like Glycine, Breitling, or Chase-Durer.

Here's a pic of my Luminox from the EDC rotation:

« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 05:42:29 AM by eTripper »
"Those who do evil to others:  the killers, the rapists, psychos, sadists.  Will come to know me well.  Frank Castle is dead!  Call me . . . The Punisher."

"Out of the night comes a man who saves lives at the risk of his own:
Once a circus performer, an aerialist who refused the net...
Once a cat burglar, a master among jewel thieves...
And now, a professional bodyguard - primitive, savage, in love with danger."  - T.H.E CAT

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #24 on: December 14, 2018, 09:58:58 PM
I’ve got a Marathon GSAR and my old CWC general service issue.

A new watch is being issued now in the UK to certain people. Link

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: December 14, 2018, 10:27:10 PM
Marathon JDD

I am never sure that I have enough arm for it?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 10:38:29 PM by ezdog »

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #26 on: January 15, 2019, 10:53:01 PM
Marathon JDD

There are 3 different sizes of this Marathon :tu:

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: January 30, 2019, 01:35:07 AM

Here's a pic of my Luminox from the EDC rotation:

WOW! I bet you could almost use that for a flashlight when it starts glowing! :D Seriously some nice looking watches posted here. I recently dug an old military watch out of my parts bin and am contemplating having it repaired. It's awaterproof 15 jewel Bulova likely from the WWII era although I don't know if it saw any combat. Heck I don't even remember where I got it!
Bulova15JMilitaryWatch 001.jpg
* Bulova15JMilitaryWatch 001.jpg (Filesize: 104.88 KB)
Bulova15JMilitaryWatch 002.jpg
* Bulova15JMilitaryWatch 002.jpg (Filesize: 109.71 KB)
Bulova15JMilitaryWatch 1 001.jpg
* Bulova15JMilitaryWatch 1 001.jpg (Filesize: 50.59 KB)

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: January 30, 2019, 02:36:39 AM
Marathon JDD

Yes this is the big one,I had the medium but of course could not just stop there?

Sent from my iPhone,dont expect too much

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #29 on: January 30, 2019, 08:31:46 AM
Marathon JDD

Yes this is the big one,I had the medium but of course could not just stop there?

Sent from my iPhone,dont expect too much

I wanted their chronograph initially. Then I tried it on and bought a Damasko instead. The chrono is freaking huge!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD