Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

58mm SAK "SURVIVAL" modified Vagabond

mzil · 15 · 1266

um Offline mzil

58mm SAK "SURVIVAL" modified Vagabond
on: December 03, 2017, 12:12:41 AM
This isn't meant as a primary survival knife but rather it's meant as a bare bone, keychain version, just in case your main pack and gear tumbles off a cliff or sinks to the bottom of a lake. Think of it as a last ditch backup you still have in your pocket (and can carry effortless every day), even when wearing business attire..
https://youtu.be/xdGbHKHnPn4

I'm thinking of adding the Whistle scale but for now I'm just showing this initial prototype.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 12:19:09 AM by mzil »

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: 58mm SAK "SURVIVAL" modified Vagabond
Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 03:12:35 AM
 :like:

I'm a big fan of your work.  I keep Altoids tins because I think I'm going to make a little kit some day, but I still haven't.  :oops:

One thing I wish someone could figure out is how to carry a SAK and some lip balm without having to carry both.  I always have both and I'd like to have some type of lip balm in/on the SAK scale.
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 03:59:19 AM
This isn't meant as a primary survival knife but rather it's meant as a bare bone, keychain version, just in case your main pack and gear tumbles off a cliff or sinks to the bottom of a lake. Think of it as a last ditch backup you still have in your pocket (and can carry effortless every day), even when wearing business attire..
https://youtu.be/xdGbHKHnPn4

I'm thinking of adding the Whistle scale but for now I'm just showing this initial prototype.

I too am a fan of your work and like the idea of these mods but think they would be better on either the 91mm or by using custom 93mm sak that has the screws so you can take the one scale off to access the inside addon's.  Once you glued on the scale, wouldn't you damage it by prying it off to get to the addon's?  Another idea is to just add a key fob tube that opens/unscrews to put your sewing kit, needle and small rod into.

Now I would like to add a pin to my 58mm sak since my 111mm doesn't have one so I might try that out!  I also really like the paracord setup you make that just pulls apart!!!

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 04:24:57 AM
I like it!!  Any SAK is better than no SAK if your kit goes down the river!!
Barry

um Offline mzil

Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 05:43:50 AM
[I too am a fan of your work and like the idea of these mods but think they would be better on either the 91mm or by using custom 93mm sak that has the screws so you can take the one scale off to access the inside addon's.  Once you glued on the scale, wouldn't you damage it by prying it off to get to the addon's?
Well to me, when I call it a "survival kit" I mean a true, dire emergency situation kit as in, "If I can't get a fire started here in the middle of the wilderness where I just broke my ankle (so I can't walk home), I'm going to freeze to death tonight". Worrying about if the scales might get damaged to extract the ferro rod is the last thing on your mind. Hopefully you'll live to see another day and be able to buy new scales for about $10.  :D

Yes the larger knives have bigger storage areas under the scales so you can store all sorts of extra things, such as that emergency fishing hook I showed, and that's why at the beginning of the video I mention you can use any knife you want, but remember this system I show in the video isn't for actual use, it is more like a life preserver on an aircraft where you keep your fingers crossed that you'll never use it: if you really do have occasion to inflate it, jump in the water and then watch your plane sink you don't worry about things like, "I sure hope this repacks nicely when I'm done using it so United Airlines can reuse it". Ha-ha.

To me the 58mm series is the best for this application because it is the smallest and lightest hence one is much more likely to be willing to carry it on their keys perpetually, 365 days a year, despite the fact that it is sort of dead weight and never used. Remember: it's just a backup.The SAK you actually use for everyday, EDC tasks is a separate tool you carry, not this emergency-use-only backup. We'll that's my thinking at least.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 06:28:21 AM by mzil »

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 06:46:40 AM
[I too am a fan of your work and like the idea of these mods but think they would be better on either the 91mm or by using custom 93mm sak that has the screws so you can take the one scale off to access the inside addon's.  Once you glued on the scale, wouldn't you damage it by prying it off to get to the addon's?
Well to me, when I call it a "survival kit" I mean a true, dire emergency situation kit as in, "If I can't get a fire started here in the middle of the wilderness where I just broke my ankle (so I can't walk home), I'm going to freeze to death tonight". Worrying about if the scales might get damaged to extract the ferro rod is the last thing on your mind. Hopefully you'll live to see another day and be able to buy new scales for about $10.  :D

Yes the larger knives have bigger storage areas under the scales so you can store all sorts of extra things, such as that emergency fishing hook I showed, and that's why at the beginning of the video I mention you can use any knife you want, but remember this system I show in the video isn't for actual use, it is more like a life preserver on an aircraft where you keep your fingers crossed that you'll never use it: if you really do have occasion to inflate it, jump in the water and then watch your plane sink you don't worry about things like, "I sure hope this repacks nicely when I'm done using it so United Airlines can reuse it". Ha-ha.

To me the 58mm series is the best for this application because it is the smallest and lightest hence one is much more likely to be willing to carry it on their keys perpetually, 365 days a year, despite the fact that it is sort of dead weight and never used. Remember: it's just a backup.The SAK you actually use for everyday, EDC tasks is a separate tool you carry, not this emergency-use-only backup. We'll that's my thinking at least.

I understand!  I guess I was just thinking that I don't carry two sak's.  Of course you wouldn't be worried about the scales at that point and like the modding!  :)

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 12:03:06 PM
I was sceptical at first, but this looks like a viable last last last-ditch option.  :tu:

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 12:41:25 PM
 :like: good stuff
Poker Face Milk dud world champion 2021

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 02:35:22 PM
Another great video Thanks! :like:
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 04:07:00 PM
Great vid and info... Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

um Offline mzil

Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 06:07:05 PM
Thanks, everyone. :)

Now that 3D printed scales are appearing I would think making a special scale with even larger internal pocket (storage) areas will open up the possibilities. Plus we are no longer limited to plain old, standard shaped scales.

For instance, say you make a scale which instead of having a regular cross section shaped like a slab or a rectangle you instead give it a deep "U" shaped depression like a trough or a valley. Now your SAK can snap (or glue?) onto cylindrical objects like say a AAA flashlight, an aluminum whistle, or for FolderBeholder, above,  a Chapstick tube! BINGO: SAK LIP BALM! [Sir_mike might prefer to fill the tube with other knick knacks instead of lip balm.]
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 06:27:03 PM by mzil »

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 09:21:21 PM
Great video!  :like: :tu: :cheers:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 02:33:35 AM
Thanks, everyone. :)

Now that 3D printed scales are appearing I would think making a special scale with even larger internal pocket (storage) areas will open up the possibilities. Plus we are no longer limited to plain old, standard shaped scales.

For instance, say you make a scale which instead of having a regular cross section shaped like a slab or a rectangle you instead give it a deep "U" shaped depression like a trough or a valley. Now your SAK can snap (or glue?) onto cylindrical objects like say a AAA flashlight, an aluminum whistle, or for FolderBeholder, above,  a Chapstick tube! BINGO: SAK LIP BALM! [Sir_mike might prefer to fill the tube with other knick knacks instead of lip balm.]

No I am good!  My lips get chapped here in the winter in Michigan!  :)

um Offline mzil

Reply #13 on: December 04, 2017, 03:06:57 AM
Oh. OK then. Lip balm it is! I was just trying to give you that keychain carry tube thingy you asked for earlier:
Another idea is to just add a key fob tube that opens/unscrews to put your sewing kit, needle and small rod into.

I have a whole video on key fob Chapstick tube use, if anyone's interested. It started out as just a way to carry a roll of duct tape cleanly so the sticky ends of the roll don't collect pocket lint, but it sort of snowballed into all sorts of other stuff too [as my vids so often do]:
https://youtu.be/xCbnId5sdjA

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 04:30:28 PM
Those videos are awesome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00