Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

DIY Grid Organizer

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
DIY Grid Organizer
on: December 03, 2017, 12:26:36 PM
Stumbled upon this sweet project.
I wish Maxpedition implemented this in their pouches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5GmUnNZwHg
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 12:44:25 PM by ReamerPunch »

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Re: DIY Grid Organizer
Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 02:00:03 AM
Or just take a cutting board like the one he's using. The older black cored green ones worked better, but the current generation will work.

Cut a piece of it the size you want.

Bore holes at desired intervals. I've done 1"x1" and 3/4"x3/4* grids, and a "brick wall" pattern of 1"x 3/4". I find the best size of hole is 3/16 to a quarter inch. Best tool is Vic 93mm awl- drills suck. If it looks like a peg board, you did it right.

Lace it with either shock cord or non- stretchy cord. Non-stretch cord is greatly helped by cordlocks, but you could tie it. Stretch cord with cordlocks is going to hold things REALLY well. You can use this PALS webbing pouches or anything made for a belt sheath. You could lace in an elastic band, use twist ties. I"ve been known to attach small organizer boxes using chicago screws.

It's stronger and easier to clean than this cardboard and elastics system, and infinantly versatile. You don't have a problem with the straps not being right for your gear, which is why I hate Grid-it, it just isn't spaced right for me but I built pallets for tools, range gear, etc which the Grid-it just isn't beefy enough to handle. What the coardboard and elastic system does have is that it is lighter and cheaper.

I don't have a picture, but I"m not sure one is needed.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 02:06:20 AM by ironraven »
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

gb Offline BePrepared

Re: DIY Grid Organizer
Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 04:52:51 PM
I agree with ironraven, that the Grid-its off-the shelf are not very efficient in terms of storage.  If you can, it's fairly easy to make something customised for your needs.  I made a type of mini one with a credit card as backing --- elastic only goes across....

But on the back I have a mini-molle set-up  :D

If you are lazy you can use a stapler to join elasticated fabric bandss together, instead of sewing!

Here are links to some things I did...
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,9225.0.html
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,74488.0.html

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56