Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help me get some perspective (axe choice)

styx · 98 · 4707

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Help me get some perspective (axe choice)
on: December 03, 2017, 01:55:49 PM
As some of you know I'm in the market for an axe or a hatchet. Brands aside for the moment, I am having some trouble putting things into perspective when it comes to what to even look for in regards to a 13 to 15" hatchet vs a 19" axe.

When I was younger most of the things I did with an axe was with a 19" one. Actually first one I used. However in most uses that axe and a hatchet are quite similar, although efficiency at certain tasks changes, at least for me.
Now please keep in mind a few things:
- I live in an apartment, hence the one axe limitation
- the axe/hatchet will be mostly used for camping, bushcrafty tasks, barbecue (think of it as a one day road trip), so not as much volume of wood processing as a homesteader would have
- I'm 187cm tall (6'1 and change for the non metric folks) so I'll have to be mindful of safety no matter what, but handle length could determine what is awkward to use
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 01:57:10 PM by styx »
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Help me get some perspective (axe choice)
Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 04:01:30 PM
I would recommend the Husqvarna Carpenters Axe, Styx :salute:

Here is a thread I started with it and I also have the hatchet and boys axe from them but my fav is still the carpenters axe of those :salute:

My Axe Thread

no Offline Grathr

Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 06:31:40 PM
Are you thinking of any partikular style or pricerange?
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

hr Offline styx

Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 08:02:36 PM

Here is a thread I started with it and I also have the hatchet and boys axe from them but my fav is still the carpenters axe of those :salute:

My Axe Thread

been a fan of that thread

as far as style goes haven't given it any thought. price range is a different matter. since it won't be an every week tool, I can't justify to myself the higher price range of Gransfors or even Wetterlings. So if I can I'll give my best effort to stay under 60 Euros

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

no Offline Grathr

Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 09:00:38 PM

My Axe Thread

as far as style goes haven't given it any thought. price range is a different matter. since it won't be an every week tool, I can't justify to myself the higher price range of Gransfors or even Wetterlings. So if I can I'll give my best effort to stay under 60 Euros

Fiskars do make some very good axes, and are very affordable (at least here).
They do look a bit strange, but they perform very well.
Maybe a X10 or X7?   

If you dont like the look of Fiskars, maybe a Hultafors? I dont know how much they go for where you live?
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 10:30:14 AM
I don't know how it is in Croatia, but here you can get pretty decent axes in hardware stores. I would presume that the same must be true for your country? The good thing is that you can actually handle the tool so you know how it feels. Just don't swing it around to much as other customers might not like it...  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 12:10:06 PM
I don't know how it is in Croatia, but here you can get pretty decent axes in hardware stores. I would presume that the same must be true for your country? The good thing is that you can actually handle the tool so you know how it feels. Just don't swing it around to much as other customers might not like it...  :D

This smiley will have to do :viking: but I am amused at the thought of someone going all  Conan the Barbarian with an axe in a hardware store :rofl: Would defintely be on the news that evening :D

Local man had to be tasered this evening due to trying out an axe in the store :rofl:

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 12:25:30 PM
Local man had to be tasered this evening due to trying out an axe in the store :rofl:

The real mayhem ensued as the unsuspecting axe connoisseur (such a simple word and yet almost impossible to spell  :ahhh) being tasered lost all control of his body. As the axe stayed in his firm grip he proceeded to reduce a large part of the hardware store to splinters and shortened the law officers standing height by a foot or so. TASER international announced, that for the best and safest effect their products should never be used on Vikings or any other entities likely to be in possession of an axe or similar sharp implement. 

hr Offline styx

Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 12:52:11 PM

My Axe Thread

Fiskars do make some very good axes, and are very affordable (at least here).
They do look a bit strange, but they perform very well.
Maybe a X10 or X7?   

If you dont like the look of Fiskars, maybe a Hultafors? I dont know how much they go for where you live?

Both brands are already on my inexpensive but good list

Not sure about all stores but the ones in Pevec and Bauhaus are dreadful. Actually their cheap axes are priced about the same as a Fiskars and Husqvarna locally. Hultafors has a web reseller that also has decent prices (hatchets go for about €30)

The real mayhem ensued as the unsuspecting axe connoisseur (such a simple word and yet almost impossible to spell  :ahhh) being tasered lost all control of his body. As the axe stayed in his firm grip he proceeded to reduce a large part of the hardware store to splinters and shortened the law officers standing height by a foot or so. TASER international announced, that for the best and safest effect their products should never be used on Vikings or any other entities likely to be in possession of an axe or similar sharp implement. 

That happened only once and it was a sycthe, not an axe. I really wish that journalists would check their facts

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 01:29:16 PM
Well, in my local hardware store they have axes from this company:

http://www.kovastvo-krmelj.si/spletna-trgovina

I think they felt quite good. Also, my father has an hatchet/tomahawk, that my grandfather bought for him when he graduated, which if memory serves correctly was also made by them and it is a nice little thing.  :D

hr Offline styx

Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 06:42:09 PM
Gotta admit I haven't seen 'em here

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 09:52:00 PM
Re reading this,

Will you be doing much 'bushcraft' with the axe, using it for carving etc?
If so I think you should go for a lighter head with a shorter handle
You can always batten a small axe
Everything’s adjustable

hr Offline styx

Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 10:07:03 PM
Re reading this,

Will you be doing much 'bushcraft' with the axe, using it for carving etc?
If so I think you should go for a lighter head with a shorter handle
You can always batten a small axe

That was an idea and it will be used for those things

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 10:45:44 AM
Gotta admit I haven't seen 'em here

Well, they are not a big company, but I am surprised that something similar does not exist near you. Or maybe it does, it's just that your hardware stores don't stock axes from such a company? Do some interwebs searching, maybe you can find something.

I have a feeling that axe manufacturers used to be all over the place. In USA bigger companies probably "ate" the smaller ones and then moved to china, so this is why they have hard time finding good axes. But our part of the world blacksmiths never really went out of fashion entirely. So I would not be so surprised if you can find some company locally that makes this kind of stuff.

All this is of course just a conjecture based on my gut feelings so take it with a grain of salt. :D

hr Offline styx

Reply #14 on: December 05, 2017, 01:10:03 PM
There are blacksmiths in the country but they mostly specialize on horseshoes or are in smaller villages where they tend to fix things 

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: December 05, 2017, 03:18:36 PM
There are blacksmiths in the country but they mostly specialize on horseshoes or are in smaller villages where they tend to fix things

Wonder what a good fixed blade and axe head would cost from a blacksmith :think: Be very cool to have a matching set from a smithy :dd:

hr Offline styx

Reply #16 on: December 05, 2017, 09:56:43 PM
Probably a kidney or two. If you need funds, I've got a couple of cousins I'm not very attached to

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: December 05, 2017, 10:01:56 PM
Probably a kidney or two. If you need funds, I've got a couple of cousins I'm not very attached to

:rofl:

I am good but was more curious than any thing :tu: :D

hr Offline styx

Reply #18 on: December 05, 2017, 10:52:39 PM
well if you ever need something, the offer stands

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #19 on: December 05, 2017, 11:25:42 PM
Hey Styx, I'm the same height as you and my most used axe/hatchet has a 15" handle, although I'm learning to love the Roselli with the 18" handle (just a bigger learning curve because of the shape of the head).

Short handle, kneel down, safe and simple  :tu:

Oh the 15" is a Hultafors Classic (or Hults Bruk forged) 500g head
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

hr Offline styx

Reply #20 on: December 06, 2017, 10:43:14 AM
Thanks for the info. Although one should be careful with kneeling down. Last time it was taken the really wrong way

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: December 06, 2017, 08:23:54 PM
I suspect you'll get the most out of a hatchet.  Hultafors/Hults Bruks certainly make a good axe.  Also look at Husqvarna as IIRC they are made by Hults.  I've not tried one of their axes myself but it might be worth looking at Condor as well.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

hr Offline styx

Reply #22 on: December 06, 2017, 09:12:16 PM
Well Tony (Sparky) has very generously decided to send me a Kent pattern hatchet just because he is such a swell guy. I'm still baffled by the generosity

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #23 on: December 06, 2017, 09:27:18 PM
 :tu:
What a guy! I was going to suggest you buy some rust an axe off him...

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: December 06, 2017, 09:52:01 PM

I'm baffled generally  :shrug:

:D
Everything’s adjustable

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: December 06, 2017, 10:04:16 PM
Nice one Tony. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: December 06, 2017, 10:42:50 PM
Very cool Sparkster :salute: Can't wait to see the axe you get styx and your thoughts on it after some use :like:

hr Offline styx

Reply #27 on: December 06, 2017, 11:04:18 PM
First thing - shaving :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: December 06, 2017, 11:06:14 PM

hr Offline styx

Reply #29 on: December 07, 2017, 08:25:05 AM
there was a saying that to this day I admire - To be old and wise, first you must be young and dumb

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%