Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

House of Styx

styx · 400 · 10460

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: House of Styx
Reply #330 on: August 30, 2019, 07:09:13 PM
i'm back. i'll post pics once i get 'em all from my gf
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #331 on: August 30, 2019, 07:14:53 PM
 :cheers:  :popcorn:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #332 on: August 30, 2019, 07:54:07 PM
Hope you have had a good time  :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

hr Offline styx

Reply #333 on: August 30, 2019, 09:57:57 PM
I had a great time. The most important question is what gear did I take - only a Vic Hunter. Well a day pack that I've had for years now, swimming trunks and fins and my trusty Nalgene bottle. To be fair I only once wished that I had a more robust fixie and a folding saw to clean up one trail a bit. The Hunter saw a good bit of use for food prep, cutting and opening a few cans. Since we were in a house and later an apartment, not much else was needed. Ofc there is a kit that never leaves that day pack which includes a signal mirror, a whistle and a sillcock key.

As far as first aid goes, there were the usual things for aches, a few feet of band aids and combined we had about 5m (15ft) of elastic bandages in case of sprains.

To start off we spent a few days in the village of Pirovac which is often called Zlo selo (Evil village), a name given to it by the Ottomans. We also visited Šibenik and 2 of it's 3 land fortresses. The one sea fortress was seen later from a ferry.
Pirovac used be a quiet small village but now it is quite filled with tourists and the usual touristy stuff - over priced bars, restaurants both of which work only during the season, souvenir shops and just about every other attraction. Since we were about 10 to 15 minutes from the marina where most of those things are it was rather quiet and we got a chance to relax. Some of it's beaches aren't entirely restructured so one can get a mishmash of pebbles and concrete but that is more towards the very edges. Very nice if you have younger children and actually quite a nice place to go on SUPs. There are a good number of boats and jet skis so caution has to be taken. Not sure if the measurement on Google maps can be trusted (I'm iffy on the starting point) but we had a tendency to go for about a 1km (about 3000 feet) swim there (total distance).
Later we went on the island Prvić for a few days. That is an island were you can't really get any signal, there are about 400 people living on it and I believe they have maybe 4 smaller tractors that help with transporting goods. No other traffic on the island at all. It was great. They have a pensioner's retreat, a few nicer beaches for younger children and for anyone adventurous a lot of natural beaches that require a bit of hiking and climbing. the wares can get a bit choppy from the wind and sea traffic but no one goes too close so an inflatable kayak is a really good option to go from one settlement to the other. Freediving is also quite nice but you'll need stiffer or longer fins to cope with the currents and waves once they start. Plus more I'm glad I have plastic ones rather than something high end like carbon as they would get ruined on all the rocks. The water is crystal clear and urchins are all around, so tweezers can come in handy. There again we hand our same longer distance swims and dives to explore a bit of the coast and just have fun. But there is also at least one hiking trail that is not really official. Some local marked it on stones and it hasn't been kept up all too well. But since this is probably one person doing it out of passion, I can't really fault that. That's why I wish I had a larger saw and a sturdy fixie with me so I could clean it up a bit from dead trees and branches that at times had me bear crawling. That is probably the only thing we didn't take pictures off as most of the trail was loose rock, trees, brush and possibly snakes on one side and steep cliffs on the other side.

All in all it was fun

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #334 on: August 30, 2019, 10:37:50 PM
Sounds like a nice place  :tu: :like:

hr Offline styx

Reply #335 on: August 31, 2019, 07:44:02 AM
it really is. we'll probably be going back to Prvić next year

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #336 on: August 31, 2019, 03:15:32 PM
I bet there is still loads to be seen  :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #337 on: August 31, 2019, 05:01:39 PM
Sounds great, Styx.  :tu:

hr Offline styx

Reply #338 on: August 31, 2019, 08:19:22 PM
I bet there is still loads to be seen  :tu:

yep. we'll be looking at inflatable kayaks for the next year to have additional options of exploring. plus there are a lot of old goat trails that lead to hidden bunkers

Sounds great, Styx.  :tu:

it really was. quite outside of my comfort zone with mountains and woods, the rock under your feet is quite different from mud and gives an entirely new things to look for and adjust to.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #339 on: August 31, 2019, 08:48:49 PM
The bunkers sound fun to explore  :tu:

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #340 on: August 31, 2019, 08:58:23 PM
Welcome back, broseph! Sounds like you had a good time!  :cheers:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

hr Offline styx

Reply #341 on: September 01, 2019, 08:42:30 AM
The bunkers sound fun to explore  :tu:

oh they will be. sadly we didn't get a chance this time around

Welcome back, broseph! Sounds like you had a good time!  :cheers:

thank. we did. can't wait to share the pics with y'all

hr Offline styx

Reply #342 on: September 08, 2019, 07:02:55 PM
This might end up being a bit jumbled but these are the shots of nature, the places, the food that we had

These are all from Pirovac, including the cat shot for Aleph

hr Offline styx

Reply #343 on: September 08, 2019, 07:10:02 PM
This is Šibenik and a few shots from our boat trip

hr Offline styx

Reply #344 on: September 08, 2019, 07:18:32 PM
Prvić

hr Offline styx

Reply #345 on: September 08, 2019, 07:29:29 PM
Prvić nature

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #346 on: September 08, 2019, 07:38:01 PM
Gorgeous place and nice pics  :dd: :like: :like:

hr Offline styx

Reply #347 on: September 09, 2019, 09:50:45 PM
thanks. somehow i thought they would come out larger

hr Offline styx

Reply #348 on: December 29, 2019, 07:37:02 PM
just got back from a weekend trip to Fužine. forgot how the wind chill can be a pain in the smurf

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #349 on: January 02, 2020, 05:32:18 AM
Gusting winds here.....but unusually warm.  About 3ºC. Odd  :dunno:

hr Offline styx

Reply #350 on: January 02, 2020, 08:36:56 PM
it was about 28 Fahrenheit there without the wind. and closer to 14 Fahrenheit with the wind. needless to say we're looking into proper fleece mid layers.while I like wool, my girlfriend is not a fan at all and might be allergic. plus for the price of one good wool mid layer we can get 4 or 5 pieces of fleece

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #351 on: January 04, 2020, 08:51:35 PM
I'm a wool man.  :)

hr Offline styx

Reply #352 on: January 05, 2020, 11:01:15 AM
so am i. but the price, at this point in our lives, is a bit much

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #353 on: January 05, 2020, 02:22:45 PM
I hear that. Fleece is so reasonable, and with great performance.

Offline Goran Radovanović

• New User
Reply #354 on: January 14, 2020, 09:28:25 AM
A ništa onda, ove godine do Splita pa navrati na čašu razgovora.  :cheers:

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #355 on: January 14, 2020, 08:27:27 PM
it was about 28 Fahrenheit there without the wind. and closer to 14 Fahrenheit with the wind. needless to say we're looking into proper fleece mid layers.while I like wool, my girlfriend is not a fan at all and might be allergic. plus for the price of one good wool mid layer we can get 4 or 5 pieces of fleece

I'm slightly allergic to wool as well, but Merino wool does not trigger the reaction... It is however even more expensive, so might not be the solution you're looking for  :pok:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

hr Offline styx

Reply #356 on: January 14, 2020, 09:34:07 PM
I hear that. Fleece is so reasonable, and with great performance.

i'm just thinking if it is better to take a vest or pullover

A ništa onda, ove godine do Splita pa navrati na čašu razgovora.  :cheers:

Morat ću prvom prilikom

I'm slightly allergic to wool as well, but Merino wool does not trigger the reaction... It is however even more expensive, so might not be the solution you're looking for  :pok:

yep looked into that as well. only base layers are readily available but at a steep price

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #357 on: January 15, 2020, 12:23:20 AM
i'm just thinking if it is better to take a vest or pullover

My fleece vest is one of my favorite pieces of kit.

It's 10 or more years old. It is a bit worn, has a few singed spot from popping campfire embers, but it still completely functional (and is mostly presentable). It gets carried year-round. In Winter it serves as a mid-layer. In Spring and Fall it may be a primary outer layer or get paired with a rain shell. In Summer it gets carried for cool mornings or evenings. A true 4-season garment.

Really versatile, easy to layer with other stuff. I wouldn't be without one.  :tu:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #358 on: January 15, 2020, 02:11:45 PM
 :iagree: A fleece vest is an integral part of any layering system.

hr Offline styx

Reply #359 on: January 15, 2020, 10:37:10 PM
thanks for the input

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%