Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

House of Styx

styx · 400 · 10455

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: House of Styx
Reply #60 on: December 06, 2017, 03:31:57 PM
we could prop him up
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #61 on: December 06, 2017, 04:24:30 PM
Or get me one of these wheelchairs:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: December 06, 2017, 04:31:19 PM
...I like how he says that with a straight face.
"Only" 48% indeed!  :rofl:

When I was in Croatia, I had moonshine slivovice of 70 to 80 %.

Exactly why I say only 48%.

There is a saying in Slavonija - "Smurf a man who has more plumb jam than šljivovica (plumb schnapps) in his home."
And I may joke that it is used as a medicine to everything, but it isn't far from the truth. While most people would consider putting some hard liquor in their tea a somewhat ok thing to do when running a high fever, we also put it on rags that are wrapped around the ankles and wrists to help bring a high fever down, and in some cases use it as a chest rub (vapour rub). Oddly enough it works.
A lot of other home remedies include either using different sorts of liquor or making it from scratch. Orahovac for instance (schnapps made from walnut) is amazing for calming down an upset stomach and even when one has the runs.
I remember explaining how to make blackberry wine to a friend in the states because he and his mother were recovering from cancer. Can't say that it was a miracle drug but their recoveries were a lot faster and better.
There are a ton of herbal schnapps variants that help with everything. Honey schnapps (I'd get quartered for saying it is the same thing as mead) helps with soar throat. Wine grape schnapps is marvellous for toothache. 

And one thing that isn't considered hard liquor is propolis. I think you can get it just about anywhere in the world. Basically it is some sort of bee antifungal, antibacterial, antiviral product that is diluted with 96% alcohol (I think, might be 94). Cures just about anything but you have to dose it right - 1 drop for every 10kg (22lbs) of body weight.

Oh and do note that orahovac and višnjevac (cherry schnapps) can come in a wide range of alcohol percentages so they can be considered a liquor (think more like cream whiskey) or hard liquor. Together with Honey schnapps they are the most evil things to drink as they have a sweet flavour and you don't know that you've had enough until you try to stand up and realize it is a Herculean task

I must say that I dislike most of strong alcohol drinks we Yugoslavs cook up. I prefer vodka. :D
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 04:34:31 PM by lister »
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

hr Offline styx

Reply #63 on: December 06, 2017, 06:47:56 PM
Or get me one of these wheelchairs:
(Image removed from quote.)

that looks like a walking (or rolling) still

...I like how he says that with a straight face.
"Only" 48% indeed!  :rofl:

When I was in Croatia, I had moonshine slivovice of 70 to 80 %.

Exactly why I say only 48%.

There is a saying in Slavonija - "Smurf a man who has more plumb jam than šljivovica (plumb schnapps) in his home."
And I may joke that it is used as a medicine to everything, but it isn't far from the truth. While most people would consider putting some hard liquor in their tea a somewhat ok thing to do when running a high fever, we also put it on rags that are wrapped around the ankles and wrists to help bring a high fever down, and in some cases use it as a chest rub (vapour rub). Oddly enough it works.
A lot of other home remedies include either using different sorts of liquor or making it from scratch. Orahovac for instance (schnapps made from walnut) is amazing for calming down an upset stomach and even when one has the runs.
I remember explaining how to make blackberry wine to a friend in the states because he and his mother were recovering from cancer. Can't say that it was a miracle drug but their recoveries were a lot faster and better.
There are a ton of herbal schnapps variants that help with everything. Honey schnapps (I'd get quartered for saying it is the same thing as mead) helps with soar throat. Wine grape schnapps is marvellous for toothache. 

And one thing that isn't considered hard liquor is propolis. I think you can get it just about anywhere in the world. Basically it is some sort of bee antifungal, antibacterial, antiviral product that is diluted with 96% alcohol (I think, might be 94). Cures just about anything but you have to dose it right - 1 drop for every 10kg (22lbs) of body weight.

Oh and do note that orahovac and višnjevac (cherry schnapps) can come in a wide range of alcohol percentages so they can be considered a liquor (think more like cream whiskey) or hard liquor. Together with Honey schnapps they are the most evil things to drink as they have a sweet flavour and you don't know that you've had enough until you try to stand up and realize it is a Herculean task

I must say that I dislike most of strong alcohol drinks we Yugoslavs cook up. I prefer vodka. :D

To each his own. Whisky is usually my preferred drink of choice

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #64 on: December 06, 2017, 06:51:21 PM
I'm 39, middle age calling...  :pok:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #65 on: December 06, 2017, 07:16:39 PM
55. On some days I feel like 20 again, but on others I feel like 90.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 07:18:21 PM by Ronald Schröder »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #66 on: December 06, 2017, 07:18:37 PM
or you can get a cat, and some nice functioning Daleks. 3 days later...

Dale-Kat!   :ahhh
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

hr Offline styx

Reply #67 on: December 06, 2017, 09:15:15 PM
I'm 39, middle age calling...  :pok:

That's still young

55. On some days I feel like 20 again, but on others I feel like 90.

So you're the same age as fine wine. See it isn't so bad

or you can get a cat, and some nice functioning Daleks. 3 days later...

(Image removed from quote.)

Dale-Kat!   :ahhh

I suppose now I'll need to start watching Dr Who

hr Offline styx

Reply #68 on: December 07, 2017, 04:25:52 PM
So today I was the guest on a radio show. Amazing experience and I am quite hopeful that all 72 people who listen to that show aren't trying to find my address now

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #69 on: December 07, 2017, 04:28:17 PM
Cool! What were you talking about Styx?
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #70 on: December 07, 2017, 04:33:11 PM
This Thread is Worthless Without Audio!  :like:

All hail the hook!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #71 on: December 07, 2017, 04:38:08 PM
Very cool man!
Nate

SEND IT!

hr Offline styx

Reply #72 on: December 07, 2017, 06:34:37 PM

The organization I volunteer in. It is mostly about type 1 diabetes and it's correlation to sustainable life. Since type 1 diabetes has a genetic component you can't really influence that, but the rapid rise in those who have it can't be explained by genetics. The factors that can explain it are environmental. And although this sounds a lot like hippy ecology talk, it was more focused on doing what we can for our small scale environment. For instance our nutritional habits which in English are called with the phrase diet. That word would conjure up something that we go on for 3 to 6 weeks before summer, weddings and so on. What we promote is finding a way which is sustainable for the long term for that person that would prevent chronic disease or prevent complications if such a condition already exists. So while our president is geared towards vegan and mostly raw food, I am personally more geared towards counting calories (I've gone down about 12kg/27lbs in 96 days), some people have amazing results with ketogenic diets, the bottom line is follow what you are comfortable with and what supports your health.
Another big part of the interview was how and what we do to support families with kids that have type 1 diabetes.

I'll put up a link once it is up on their webpage. Although I'm not sure if that will help you considering it is all in Croatian.

Very cool man!

Thanks. Now if only someone started paying me for those things (I've become the go to person for public presentations in the second organization in a row)

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #73 on: December 07, 2017, 07:06:25 PM

The organization I volunteer in. It is mostly about type 1 diabetes and it's correlation to sustainable life. Since type 1 diabetes has a genetic component you can't really influence that, but the rapid rise in those who have it can't be explained by genetics. The factors that can explain it are environmental. And although this sounds a lot like hippy ecology talk, it was more focused on doing what we can for our small scale environment. For instance our nutritional habits which in English are called with the phrase diet. That word would conjure up something that we go on for 3 to 6 weeks before summer, weddings and so on. What we promote is finding a way which is sustainable for the long term for that person that would prevent chronic disease or prevent complications if such a condition already exists. So while our president is geared towards vegan and mostly raw food, I am personally more geared towards counting calories (I've gone down about 12kg/27lbs in 96 days), some people have amazing results with ketogenic diets, the bottom line is follow what you are comfortable with and what supports your health.
Another big part of the interview was how and what we do to support families with kids that have type 1 diabetes.

I'll put up a link once it is up on their webpage. Although I'm not sure if that will help you considering it is all in Croatian.

Very cool man!

Thanks. Now if only someone started paying me for those things (I've become the go to person for public presentations in the second organization in a row)
A good cause.  :salute:

And it doesn't matter if it's in Croatian or Russian, we just want to hear what you sound like.  :multi:

All hail the hook!

hr Offline styx

Reply #74 on: December 07, 2017, 07:22:52 PM
Hopefully good 'cause I have a face fit for the radio

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #75 on: December 07, 2017, 07:28:05 PM

Very cool man!

And it doesn't matter if it's in Croatian or Russian, we just want to hear what you sound like.  :multi:

A very good cause :salute: (Type 2 here)  :cheers:
"Hoarder of weirdness,

hr Offline styx

Reply #76 on: December 07, 2017, 08:21:52 PM

Very cool man!

Damn, how do you manage it?

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #77 on: December 07, 2017, 08:28:52 PM

Very cool man!

Damn, how do you manage it?

Oh it's easy for me so far, just pills *shrugs*
"Hoarder of weirdness,

hr Offline styx

Reply #78 on: December 07, 2017, 08:45:24 PM
Now since the season of dreadful (I'll explain later) is coming, I'd like to set aside my hillbilly antics for a moment (and they truly are in every sense of the word) and ask you to ponder on the following...

The world is unspeakably large and it is also gloriously small. The large world can hardly be described, but the small one is the one that truly matters. That small world is made out of our families, friends, co-workers, neighbours, the people we've let into our lives, the communities that matter to us. And some of those worlds are not doing all too well. No matter how paltry their troubles might seem, no picayune they are to us, just a scintilla of effort can turn them around. The words one person can't change the world, can't save the world should fall on deaf ears because we all can do it. The only proper response to such asininity should be to defiantly and proudly say "Hold my beer and watch this".

Now the reason why I say the season of dreadful is because the upsurge of donate and help organizations, ads and campaigns spikes during the upcoming holidays. The real problem is that many give the smallest bill available to ease their consciousness and even the organizations and promoters simply act as if those in need stop existing for the next 345 days. Ticks me off to no end

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #79 on: December 07, 2017, 09:45:59 PM
What bothers me is that many good causes are financed by lotteries. People will help, if there´s a chance of winning big time. I´m not saying they won´t help otherwise, but it bothers me still.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #80 on: December 07, 2017, 09:50:48 PM
well as a fellow lifetime nutrition enthusiast here, studies show that chemical components in mainly animal foods, dairy included, have an impact on the development and incidence of Type 1 diabetes in new and younger generations, as a result of accumulation in their mother's bodies.

As a result, many  scientists, physicians and renowned figures in the world of human nutrition recommend switching to a vegan or plant based diet for better health (apart from fighting obesity, CVD, type diabetes 2, environmental impact, gas emissions, antibiotic dependency and accumulation, etc.)  and unparalleled results

Type 1 diabetes was lethal until the 20s and since then there's been no way to avoid being born with the disease but  luckily nowadays it's easily treated with insulin, therapy and diet. Ketogenic diets have proven very useful in fighting against leukemia, Alzheimer and both types of diabetes especially.   :tu:

Keto diets also show very good results for weight loss, skin health, and many other small(er) health improvements.

LCHF diets are very similar in macro proportions and are very well studied for treating many metabolic diseases with great success, and even improving the body's performance in physical activity (dozens of athletes, bodybuilders, and very active sportsmen and women have noticed improvement in their abilities, longer term beneficial health effects...) battling the myths of "carb loading", "can't build muscle without animal protein" and "carbohydrates are necessary macronutrient for the correct functioning of the human body"   :twak:

It's a fascinating new subject of study that fights the Food Pyramid and Nutrition bases written and formulated by the USDA and backed (and financed) by the industry for 50 years, unveiling the big companies' efforts to make us believe that all we were forced or motivated to eat was healthy, good for us and backed up by (crooked, manipulated) science leading to the real sad SAD  :cry: (Standard American Diet) that now has shockwaved to most other countries in the world

sorry for the rant, I just had to leave it there
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

hr Offline styx

Reply #81 on: December 07, 2017, 10:45:42 PM
well as a fellow lifetime nutrition enthusiast here, studies show that chemical components in mainly animal foods, dairy included, have an impact on the development and incidence of Type 1 diabetes in new and younger generations, as a result of accumulation in their mother's bodies.

As a result, many  scientists, physicians and renowned figures in the world of human nutrition recommend switching to a vegan or plant based diet for better health (apart from fighting obesity, CVD, type diabetes 2, environmental impact, gas emissions, antibiotic dependency and accumulation, etc.)  and unparalleled results

Type 1 diabetes was lethal until the 20s and since then there's been no way to avoid being born with the disease but  luckily nowadays it's easily treated with insulin, therapy and diet. Ketogenic diets have proven very useful in fighting against leukemia, Alzheimer and both types of diabetes especially.   :tu:

Keto diets also show very good results for weight loss, skin health, and many other small(er) health improvements.

LCHF diets are very similar in macro proportions and are very well studied for treating many metabolic diseases with great success, and even improving the body's performance in physical activity (dozens of athletes, bodybuilders, and very active sportsmen and women have noticed improvement in their abilities, longer term beneficial health effects...) battling the myths of "carb loading", "can't build muscle without animal protein" and "carbohydrates are necessary macronutrient for the correct functioning of the human body"   :twak:

It's a fascinating new subject of study that fights the Food Pyramid and Nutrition bases written and formulated by the USDA and backed (and financed) by the industry for 50 years, unveiling the big companies' efforts to make us believe that all we were forced or motivated to eat was healthy, good for us and backed up by (crooked, manipulated) science leading to the real sad SAD  :cry: (Standard American Diet) that now has shockwaved to most other countries in the world

sorry for the rant, I just had to leave it there

Well you are right. Vegan diets are not for everyone though.
One thing I would add is that LCHF diets have one thing going against them - lack of long term studies. Mostly due to them being on the fringes outside of certain circles until recently.

One thing I stress is that there isn't a one size fits all solution. And even the solutions presented are templates and objects to use in creating something personalized. For instance a vegetarian diet wouldn't work long term in my household (expensive, lack of quality foods that would replace the nutritional values that different meats give, certain drugs not mixing well with green vegetables, etc.) but what works is that we have 3 days where all meals are vegetarian or pescetarian (if fish were more readily available at a better price it would probably be a day or 2 more). I'm fairly young so it is hard to gauge the health effect, but I have no problem with energy or muscle mass. What I've lost is due to calorie restriction and weight loss, not some bs excuse. My mother on the other hand has had a very positive effect on her health as we switched to the current dietary habits.

hr Offline styx

Reply #82 on: December 08, 2017, 09:52:07 AM
Well the show is up and here is the link

https://www.mixcloud.com/RadioStudent/hodalica-7122017/

I start blabbing about 4:20 in

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #83 on: December 08, 2017, 11:38:48 AM
Cool! I have no idea what you where saying, but the sound of your language is very fascinating. Thanks for the link.
Nate

SEND IT!

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #84 on: December 08, 2017, 09:12:10 PM
I spent Christmas 1991 in Bosnia, in a small farmer´s village, birthplace of my brother-in-law.

He was the only person there I could talk to even though I speak Dutch and English well, and German adequately, But many people there at the time spoke only their own language, and maybe  Russian if they had had an education. Furthermore, because of some small brain disorder I have troubles interpreting and responding to body language. More accurately,  I don´t even notice it.

Everybody was very nice and kind, food and drink were excellent and plentiful, but it was a difficult stay for me.

hr Offline styx

Reply #85 on: December 08, 2017, 09:20:02 PM
Cool! I have no idea what you where saying, but the sound of your language is very fascinating. Thanks for the link.

It is a bit of an odd language

I spent Christmas 1991 in Bosnia, in a small farmer´s village, birthplace of my brother-in-law.

He was the only person there I could talk to even though I speak Dutch and English well, and German adequately, But many people there at the time spoke only their own language, and maybe  Russian if they had had an education. Furthermore, because of some small brain disorder I have troubles interpreting and responding to body language. More accurately,  I don´t even notice it.

Everybody was very nice and kind, food and drink were excellent and plentiful, but it was a difficult stay for me.

So time to repeat that :D

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #86 on: December 08, 2017, 10:21:06 PM
One day I´ll visit again. My sister and her man have spent over ten years building a few appartments, one for themselves and the rest for tourists. They´ll move within a few years.

hr Offline styx

Reply #87 on: December 09, 2017, 10:49:54 PM
perfect time then

hr Offline styx

Reply #88 on: December 10, 2017, 03:11:30 PM
tooth filling fell out. ibuprofen and booze do not mix

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #89 on: December 10, 2017, 04:10:07 PM
tooth filling fell out. ibuprofen and booze do not mix

Hope you can get it fixed pretty quick buddy as I know the feeling of losing a filling :ahhh

Sorry for the bad pun but it just sorta came out as I was typing :facepalm: :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD