Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rucksack/Helmsman Complement

il Offline israelpiper

Rucksack/Helmsman Complement
on: November 03, 2018, 12:09:37 PM

In deciding on a good semi-urban day hike knife, I fiddled with combinations. I found a Victorinox sheath that fit two 111mm kit perfectly. Do I really need this much steel on a day hike?  If I come across a woodpile with some good possible walking sticks, or a tangle of rope, well then, yes. Obviously any number of good multitools would have done as well, and given me a good pliers, but that Victorinox wood saw is a gem. 

Rucksack: Straight blade, Saw, Corkscrew (plus openers & awl)
Helmsman: Serrated blade, Marlin Spike, Philips driver (plus openers & awl)

No duplication of main tools.

These have had their locks removed, so that I can carry these anywhere urban/suburban legally. I hope to get the liner lock versions for out in deep nature (where the knife law doesn't get enforced), perhaps the new Skipper Pro with the heavier marlin spike. I do play around with light rope quite a bit, and do use my marlin spikes.  Though for my light rope work the flat spike does ok, I prefer the full round, as on my British Army knife (which probably cleaned more mule hooves than opened knots).
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 12:18:32 PM by israelpiper »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: Rucksack/Helmsman Complement
Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 01:35:53 PM
Great combo.  :tu:
Do you carry any keychain SAK for scissors?

I tried to do a combo set up with minimal tool duplication too, though mine is not primarily intended for day hikes.

Soldier, Ramber and a modded SAK. I sometimes just go with the Soldier and Rambler and leave the modded one behind.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

il Offline israelpiper

Re: Rucksack/Helmsman Complement
Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 06:23:17 PM
Great combo.  :tu:
Do you carry any keychain SAK for scissors?

I tried to do a combo set up with minimal tool duplication too, though mine is not primarily intended for day hikes.

Soldier, Ramber and a modded SAK. I sometimes just go with the Soldier and Rambler and leave the modded one behind.
(Image removed from quote.)

I am not a big scissors user unless I am in urban civilisation, or at home. Nothing like heading out to dinner with my wife and noticing a dirty or split fingernail. But, any serious out of doors activity and I'd have a multi tool. I have a little Victorinox Classic in the elastic side pouch of several Leatherman. The file on my beloved Rebar is no fingernail file. And I like the tiny blade and scissors for tasks too delicate for a multitool. My main keys include a Leatherman Micra. In fact I rather overdo carrying pocket knives and multitools, but, they are not just serious tools for emergencies and difficult situations--they are man-toys too.

I did use a Pioneer or Farmer and a Classic for a while, attached to each other. Light but covers 99% of needs. Efficient and sensible combo.     

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%