Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Surge vs Charge TTI or Wave

mcb · 18 · 18143

us Offline mcb

Surge vs Charge TTI or Wave
on: December 05, 2017, 08:29:52 PM
Why the huge price difference here?

I current have a Surge and use it a lot on the weekends out in the wood and working around the house.  For everyday carry to work, running errands, etc I carry a Skeletool in my pocket.  It would be nice to have a tool between these two in size sometimes.  The replaceable/changeable bit driver is important to me as I tend to wear our #2 Phillips a lot and use a lot of other bits fairly often fixing things.  So the Charge or Wave seem like the logical candidate here (I like the micro screw driver too) but I was sort of shocked at the price of a Charge, especially the Charge TTI compared to my Surge.  Even the Wave lists at nearly the same price as the Surge.

The Surge IMHO is a slightly more capable, slightly larger and quite a bit heavier and yet its less that 2/3 the price of a Charge TTI (MSRP).  The Charge TTI has a better primary knife blade matterial but really not much else that is better than the Surge except weight.  The Surge also has the replaceable cutter inserts in the pliers which I see as a huge plus.  I am just trying to wrap my head around the cost of the Charge series verse the Surge.

If I could configure it just how I wanted I would almost rather have is the Charge TTI pliers head and serrated blade with gut hook in a Wave handle set with the rest of the Wave tools.  The rest of the tools are nearly the same as the Charge TTI except the steel used for non-serated blade if I am not mistaken.  At present my decrepit old Blast has to fill my intermediate size tool needs and it's getting a little long in the tooth.

Thoughts?

Offline oliverdlanza

Re: Surge vs Charge TTI or Wave
Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 08:46:23 PM
Why the huge price difference here?

I current have a Surge and use it a lot on the weekends out in the wood and working around the house.  For everyday carry to work, running errands, etc I carry a Skeletool in my pocket.  It would be nice to have a tool between these two in size sometimes.  The replaceable/changeable bit driver is important to me as I tend to wear our #2 Phillips a lot and use a lot of other bits fairly often fixing things.  So the Charge or Wave seem like the logical candidate here (I like the micro screw driver too) but I was sort of shocked at the price of a Charge, especially the Charge TTI compared to my Surge.  Even the Wave lists at nearly the same price as the Surge.

The Surge IMHO is a slightly more capable, slightly larger and quite a bit heavier and yet its less that 2/3 the price of a Charge TTI (MSRP).  The Charge TTI has a better primary knife blade matterial but really not much else that is better than the Surge except weight.  The Surge also has the replaceable cutter inserts in the pliers which I see as a huge plus.  I am just trying to wrap my head around the cost of the Charge series verse the Surge.

If I could configure it just how I wanted I would almost rather have is the Charge TTI pliers head and serrated blade with gut hook in a Wave handle set with the rest of the Wave tools.  The rest of the tools are nearly the same as the Charge TTI except the steel used for non-serated blade if I am not mistaken.  At present my decrepit old Blast has to fill my intermediate size tool needs and it's getting a little long in the tooth.

Thoughts?
Take a look at the signal, I have all the tools you mentioned and I keep coming back to the signal. Remember there is no perfect tool. It would be awesome if they would replace the whistle with something else

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 09:09:32 PM
Aside from the ti slabs and better blade it's probably a more popular size and they want to maximize their profit.
Now unfortunately the Signal is priced up there as well however it is my pick from the mid sized leatherman multitools.
I also like gerber multipliers and victorinox spirits too.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 09:11:06 PM by zoidberg »

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 11:38:34 PM
I want a Surge TTI

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

R

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 11:43:24 PM
I want a Surge TTI

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

That would be awesome.
 :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 11:54:16 PM
We've had some great threads on the mid size series from LM.  Wave vs Charge TTi/AL.  Its a tough call actually.  I was inclined to say go with the Wave early on but I've since revised my thoughts. 
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,73262.msg1529517.html#msg1529517

Here is a thread that was a good read early in my deciding.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,11588.msg214535.html#msg214535

Another thread by MrWhippy
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,41795.msg667884.html#msg667884

Last one
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,17803.msg335416.html#msg335416

Now the Signal is a nice option as well.  Forget for a moment the tools marketing, ok good, its got some great features.  I knew someone would say get a Spirit but I'd pause on that.  If you like the bit holder then the Spirit is not for you exactly.  Its a great tool but I get the bit holder aspect of the Charge/Wave/Skeletool/Surge/Signal. 

Good luck.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 12:08:34 AM
If it's any help, I love my SURGE!!

Maybe 2 is 1 and 1 is none, but if could only choose one multi tool, it would probably be the SURGE!!

Carrying anything else, I have to pair that up with my Micra or a certain SAK to get the tool load out I want. Carrying the SURGE!!, That IS the tool load out.

Naturally I still carry Micra or SAK, because we always should carry 2 in case we lose one, but the extra really only replicates tools when I carry the SURGE!!

I don't need "lightweight" titanium at that price. If I want to go lighter than SURGE, I carry the Rebar and a Vic Super Tinker or a PST II and the Vic Camper or some such combination.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 01:58:38 AM
Hi mcb,

If you are looking for a mid sized LM similar to the Surge, the Wave can be found on ebay sometimes around $50 gently used. The TTi is usually around $110+ gently used.

Even though I am expecting a TTi to arrive soon, I can't say I think it is better in any real-world way. It is destined to be a shelf queen while my Wave will stay in use. The S30V TTi blade doesn't really appeal to me, because I find all MT blades to be less ergonomic/effective as a main cutting tool. And as a secondary blade, the 420HC Wave blade is nothing to sneeze at. Still better than most folding knives you see for sale.
The weight of the Wave vs. the TTi is negligible at best. I'll do a weight check when it arrives, but from everything I can find to read backs up the miniscule weight difference. I cannot comment on the gut-hook or cap crimpers on the TTi, since I don't use either. If you need a cap crimper and cutting hook, then the other Charge models might be worth checking out for much less money than the TTi. IMHO.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline mcb

Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 02:54:29 AM
So many good replies, thanks.

The Signal is interesting and I guess I never really considered it as I assumed it was as big as a MUT for some reason.  It seems it is more the size of a Surge but a lot lighter.  Does not have scissors, not a deal breaker but a tool I use fairly often on my surge.  I can carry a Style on my key ring worst case.

The Wave is really probably more my style but I could really use the gut hook of the Charge.  It's great for cutting tie wraps off things and similar cutting and the crimpers would also be useful though not as often as the gun hook for what I use a MT for.

As others have said the S30V knife blade would be nice the but regular 420HC in most of my other Leatherman tools has severed me very well.  My Skeletool has been sharpened with crock-sticks so many times the serrations have turned into a  mildly wavy section of blade and are no longer proper serrations.

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 03:07:50 AM
The Charge is slightly more comfortable in the hand than the Wave. I like the old style Ti panels, I think they get better character with age. I also think the Charge is more modder friendly than the Wave. I always have a hard time to get the Wave's button screws at the right tightness, so they will not rotate with the blades.

The Surge is a bit uncomfortable for me, due to its weight. For everyday Joe, the Wave is just the right-size companion.

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 01:04:08 AM
As others have said the S30V knife blade would be nice the but regular 420HC in most of my other Leatherman tools has severed me very well.

Ouch! Gotta be more careful with the sharp bits.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 01:05:42 AM by AndyTiedye »
R

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 01:16:40 AM
 :D

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 02:27:47 AM
Just got my Charge TTi.
Weight :
Charge - 8.804oz.
Wave - 8.546oz.

Measurements:

Charge:
4.00" long.
1.47" wide.
0.78" thick.

Wave:
4.00" long.
1.47" wide.
0.70" thick.

Notable difference: Handle Splay at the handle ends.
Charge - 1.93"
Wave - 2.27"

Hand comfort when using tools?  I cannot honestly say the Wave is less ergonomic. The Charge has one plus in my book, the handle splay is a bit tighter. Slighlty less effort grabbing large items. However, I personally feel the cap crimper section weakens the plier jaws.
Do you need a gut hook or blasting cap crimper? Get a Charge.
Do you need a great full size MT to take to work? Get the Wave. It is a little lighter and pretty much as useful for much less money. If it gets stolen or lost, you will be out a lot less money when replacing it. The plier jaws will be stronger on the Wave as well.
My personal opinion is the Charge is for people with a lot of money to blow on an MT(maybe some bragging rights as well). Unless you think you really need that cutting hook and cap crimper for an extra $60. In my opinion, the S30V plain blade is somewhat gimmicky considering the price difference. Never had any issues with the 420HC Wave blade. IMHO of course.
P.S. the Titanium scales are mildly squishy compared to the steel handles of the Wave. Not very confidence inspiring. :-\
20171206_191102.jpeg
* 20171206_191102.jpeg (Filesize: 109.12 KB)
20171206_190957-1.jpeg
* 20171206_190957-1.jpeg (Filesize: 122.77 KB)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 02:33:56 AM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

ca Offline b_martin

Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 07:09:21 AM
420HC in most of my other Leatherman tools has severed me very well

I hope nothing was severely severed lol

us Offline mcb

Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 03:17:19 PM
As others have said the S30V knife blade would be nice the but regular 420HC in most of my other Leatherman tools has severed me very well.

Ouch! Gotta be more careful with the sharp bits.
My poor proof reading bites me again.   :oops:  Though I have cut myself a couple times over the years with my MT it is something I try hard to avoid.  :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 04:54:26 PM
Leatherman 420 is good.  I have never had an issue with getting the blade sharp and it holding an edge.  When I carry a MT generally its also my main blade.  I do now carry a Charge TTi for work primarily but its cause I had it sitting in a box unloved and unused.  Its a great MT but the Wave is no slouch. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 05:03:21 PM
The Charge is a great tool, but IMO unless you are one of us crazy people the price difference between it and the wave is a bit much. Also price of the wave is high because of popularity

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #17 on: December 07, 2017, 10:28:56 PM
Since you already have a Skeletool, You could carry a SAK for the tools the Skeletool lacks.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 10:32:32 PM by AndyTiedye »
R

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44