Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Heavy duty door Opening Tool?

LOWW · 172 · 15702

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Heavy duty door Opening Tool?
Reply #120 on: December 13, 2017, 11:37:56 AM
the wall is roughly 4 spirits thick (bricks, insulation and another layer of bricks).
If they built walls like that here they would fall down in earthquakes (they used to, and they did).

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #121 on: December 13, 2017, 01:24:18 PM
the wall is roughly 4 spirits thick (bricks, insulation and another layer of bricks).
If they built walls like that here they would fall down in earthquakes (they used to, and they did).
We only have mild earthquakes, so no problem... it is however well possible to build sturdy houses that are earthquake proof (look at all those skyscrapers in LA).
Depending on the region chances of an avalanche/landslides is far greater. If it is snow, a house like this might resist, if its stone then your house is gone, the bomb shelter will survive though :D
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #122 on: December 13, 2017, 01:43:07 PM
We only have mild earthquakes, so no problem... it is however well possible to build sturdy houses that are earthquake proof (look at all those skyscrapers in LA).
Depending on the region chances of an avalanche/landslides is far greater. If it is snow, a house like this might resist, if its stone then your house is gone, the bomb shelter will survive though :D

Weren't bomb shelters mandatory for all houses until not to long ago in your country? I like that idea, a kind of future proofing. I get it that it must be an annoying extra expense when you build your house, but if things go to hell it is a nice thing to have. And you can still use it in peace time to store junk and stuff...  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #123 on: December 13, 2017, 02:25:54 PM

Weren't bomb shelters mandatory for all houses until not to long ago in your country? I like that idea, a kind of future proofing. I get it that it must be an annoying extra expense when you build your house, but if things go to hell it is a nice thing to have. And you can still use it in peace time to store junk and stuff...  :D
They were and are mandatory. However, since 2012 they are only mandatory in buildings with 38 and more rooms where people live (not in office buildings).

Since we don't really have earthquakes or hurricanes, there is little no opportunity to use them (and I hope for a better future than one where they are needed). If you live in an area where natural catastrophes occur more frequently, its probably a good idea (especially hurricane/tornadoes as you have time to go to your shelter).

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #124 on: December 13, 2017, 05:41:49 PM
Bomb shelters are still mandatory here. My bedroom is one. Unfortunately we've had to use it for real. Not fun.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #125 on: December 13, 2017, 06:26:50 PM

They were and are mandatory. However, since 2012 they are only mandatory in buildings with 38 and more rooms where people live (not in office buildings).

Since we don't really have earthquakes or hurricanes, there is little no opportunity to use them (and I hope for a better future than one where they are needed). If you live in an area where natural catastrophes occur more frequently, its probably a good idea (especially hurricane/tornadoes as you have time to go to your shelter).
The more I learn about you guys... :sa:
I think that the entire population of Switzerland are as prepared as Batman.  :rofl:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ca Offline GuacamoleBay

Reply #126 on: December 13, 2017, 06:36:13 PM

I think that the entire population of Switzerland are as prepared as Batman.  :rofl:

"See this thing? It's called a Swiss Army Knife. You heard of Switzerland? It's a country in Europe and they don't like to fight. They let everybody do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate."
-Larry David

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #127 on: December 13, 2017, 06:44:48 PM

"See this thing? It's called a Swiss Army Knife. You heard of Switzerland? It's a country in Europe and they don't like to fight. They let everybody do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate."
-Larry David
"When the German Kaiser asked in 1912 what the quarter of a million Swiss militiamen would do if invaded by a half million German soldiers, a Swiss replied: shoot twice and go home."

There are various versions of the quote, I don't know which, if any, are true, but I think you get the sentiment.  ;)

All hail the hook!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #128 on: December 13, 2017, 08:09:32 PM

-Larry David
"When the German Kaiser asked in 1912 what the quarter of a million Swiss militiamen would do if invaded by a half million German soldiers, a Swiss replied: shoot twice and go home."

There are various versions of the quote, I don't know which, if any, are true, but I think you get the sentiment.  ;)
Shooting is quite a popular past time here... last year the national competition had over 127'000 contestants (Pistol 25/50m and rifle 300m).

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #129 on: December 14, 2017, 04:09:36 PM

-Larry David

Shooting is quite a popular past time here... last year the national competition had over 127'000 contestants (Pistol 25/50m and rifle 300m).

That would explain your cheeses. Now I wonder do I have to worry about led poisoning? :D

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #130 on: December 14, 2017, 05:02:27 PM

-Larry David

That would explain your cheeses. Now I wonder do I have to worry about led poisoning? :D
No, LED are quite harmless...

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #131 on: December 14, 2017, 05:15:43 PM

-Larry David

No, LED are quite harmless...

Smurf!  :oops: :facepalm: :ahhh

:D

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #132 on: December 18, 2017, 01:03:03 PM
I left this thread rather angry on page 2 or something.......probably should've stayed gone....

I can understand all the arguments raised why this person wanting to break down doors upsets most of you.  :salute:

What I do not appreciate is you all just see a nutter, which he might be, but there might also be a very valid reason for his anxiety.

From what I read in the news, and what I've been told first hand, there is reason for concern.

Nutter or not, can't say, but due to the international nature of this forum I have to point out that you, and me, can sometimes not even imagine how different life can be for others......

I had a moment this morning reading about Dan (Chako) chasing off car thieves........I cannot comprehend how or why he did that unarmed, knowing all the sweet firearms he owns!

Now, because you are such nice people, I truly and deeply hope you never experience anxiety that drives you into that mindspace  :salute:

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #133 on: December 18, 2017, 01:33:15 PM
I guarantee that advice given to him will apply in most of the Europe far better than what he had in mind. Especially if he is from Austria as I think it was mentioned somewhere in this thread. They are our neighbours and they enjoy a better standard of living than us and there is no need to knock any doors down in my neck of the woods.  :D

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #134 on: December 18, 2017, 03:59:33 PM
I left this thread rather angry on page 2 or something.......probably should've stayed gone....

I can understand all the arguments raised why this person wanting to break down doors upsets most of you.  :salute:

What I do not appreciate is you all just see a nutter, which he might be, but there might also be a very valid reason for his anxiety.

From what I read in the news, and what I've been told first hand, there is reason for concern.

Nutter or not, can't say, but due to the international nature of this forum I have to point out that you, and me, can sometimes not even imagine how different life can be for others......

I had a moment this morning reading about Dan (Chako) chasing off car thieves........I cannot comprehend how or why he did that unarmed, knowing all the sweet firearms he owns!

Now, because you are such nice people, I truly and deeply hope you never experience anxiety that drives you into that mindspace  :salute:
Here you go...
From German TV unfortunately in German

Door 1: Primitve Door
SEK (Police Special Force)  2:48
Gas pressure cannon + 0.7kg projectile 1:28
Explosives: 10:30

Door 2: What I would call a standard front-door without any reinforcement
SEK 1:05 (obviously, they adapted their strategy/ door not really open, just an opening to crawl through / exhausting)
Gas pressure cannon 8:05

Door 3: Safety door with reinforcement (still fairly common)
SEK gave up after 28:16
Gas pressure cannon... gave up as the cannon has banged up his shoulder
Explosives & power-tools 16:34

As you can see... none of the methods open even a medium door without giving the occupant more than enough time to react. And they are not really portable either. While the SEK is quite impressive on the 2nd door, its still over a minute.

So, the simple truth is, you cannot break a door quickly or quietly and its not a job for a single person.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 04:06:48 PM by Etherealicer »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #135 on: December 18, 2017, 05:04:45 PM

Here you go...
From German TV unfortunately in German

Door 1: Primitve Door
SEK (Police Special Force)  2:48
Gas pressure cannon + 0.7kg projectile 1:28
Explosives: 10:30

Door 2: What I would call a standard front-door without any reinforcement
SEK 1:05 (obviously, they adapted their strategy/ door not really open, just an opening to crawl through / exhausting)
Gas pressure cannon 8:05

Door 3: Safety door with reinforcement (still fairly common)
SEK gave up after 28:16
Gas pressure cannon... gave up as the cannon has banged up his shoulder
Explosives & power-tools 16:34

As you can see... none of the methods open even a medium door without giving the occupant more than enough time to react. And they are not really portable either. While the SEK is quite impressive on the 2nd door, its still over a minute.

So, the simple truth is, you cannot break a door quickly or quietly and its not a job for a single person.
And the facts have spoken.  8)
Unless these facts are wrong, this sounds like the end of the argument.

All hail the hook!

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #136 on: December 18, 2017, 08:07:55 PM
In New Zealand we just turn the handle.  :think:

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #137 on: December 18, 2017, 08:35:51 PM

Or does the handle turn you as everything is upside down?  :ahhh

:D

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #138 on: December 18, 2017, 09:54:43 PM
 ::)  :D

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #139 on: December 19, 2017, 09:33:32 AM
Well, none of those guys checked if the door was locked :rofl:

nz Offline moonweasel

Reply #140 on: December 20, 2017, 08:51:53 AM
Well, none of those guys checked if the door was locked :rofl:

If it is, they just call me.

nz Offline moonweasel

Reply #141 on: December 20, 2017, 09:01:36 AM
As a side note , I would love to turn up to a job with that air cannon :gimme:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #142 on: December 20, 2017, 09:23:22 AM
But would you also like to get home from work and have a bruised shoulder

nz Offline moonweasel

Reply #143 on: December 20, 2017, 09:27:59 AM

Worth it.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #144 on: December 20, 2017, 11:13:17 AM

Worth it.
For the chance to use a cool toy.

All hail the hook!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #145 on: December 20, 2017, 11:51:31 AM

Worth it.
I'm more a fan of explosives :D

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #146 on: December 20, 2017, 11:57:45 AM

Worth it.
Now that you mention them... Who isn't? :dd:
As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero.
-the Tarkin hypothesis?

All hail the hook!

ca Offline GuacamoleBay

Reply #147 on: December 20, 2017, 06:04:17 PM

Worth it.
As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero.
-the Tarkin hypothesis?

You know the saying: "the two best lock picks are a stick of dynamite and a sledgehammer"

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #148 on: December 20, 2017, 06:19:36 PM

Worth it.
-the Tarkin hypothesis?

You know the saying: "the two best lock picks are a stick of dynamite and a sledgehammer"
I think you misquoted... it should be
"the two best lock picks are a stick of dynamite and another stick of dynamite"

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #149 on: December 20, 2017, 08:09:44 PM

Worth it.
-the Tarkin hypothesis?

I think you misquoted... it should be
"the two best lock picks are a stick of dynamite and another stick of dynamite"
What if you have unlimited dynamite?  :drool:

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99