Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Aggressively Downsizing my EDC

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Aggressively Downsizing my EDC
on: December 08, 2017, 05:40:03 AM
So, it seems for most folks who get into gadgetry/gear, there comes a time when you decide to stop doing MORE stuff, and start doing LESS.

I think I'm there. It's a weird, kind of naked feeling to get rid of all the stuff I had, but I stepped back and looked honestly at what I used, and what i didn't.

So, what I kept: Phone, wallet, keys. There's not much I could do about any of those.

Downsized a lot of other stuff.

MT: For the moment, I've replaced my Super Tinker with a Rambler. It might get switched back. We'll see.
Flashlight: Stays the same. 4Sevens Preon 1, with added tailclick button cap. I can't really get much smaller, and nothing with the modes that work as well for my real-world needs as it.
General 'gear': This is where a lot of my stuff got pitched out. I stripped my first aid kit to a minimum, and shunted all 'emergency survival kit' stuff into its own Personal Survival Kit.
Gone are N95 filter masks, ear plugs, chlor-floc water purification. Greatly downsized my sewing kit to 3 large safety pins, 2 sewing needles and a few colors of thread, and 2 spare buttons. I got rid of a note pad, replaced with a little book of post-it notes.

This all came about from a real 'have you used it in the last year? Ever?' kind of look. I think the only things i kept that are in the 'ever' category are the sewing kit and toilet paper. Yes, I keep toilet paper. Because there's just about nothing worse than being in a stall, in the middle of your business, and finding that there's no TP. It seems to happen to me about once every 5 years or so, and is well worth the trouble to cover that, IMO.

I still have an emergency whistle and pepper spray. Not sure either will stay. When i had a neighbor with nasty dogs, it was kind of necessary. Now, I'm not so concerned. And, with drastically downsizing my bag, CCW would not be an option. But I got that for reasons largely no longer relevant. So, not a big concern.

Strangely, my biggest real-world concern is whether the Rambler's cap-lifter will work well for my Friday night beers. The Super Tinker's is great. The Rambler's is a kind of sobriety test, getting harder to use the more you drink. :D

dk Offline T14

• Embrace the SAK
Re: Aggressively Downsizing my EDC
Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 06:34:43 AM
I feel ya.

I somehow ended up with 6 lbs of EDC tools in my messenger bag. Way overkill for a desk jockey  :twak:
But great as a supercompact toolkit in a desk drawer :tu:

On most days my messenger bag just holds a bladeless SOG switchplier and a topeak bit ratchet. I'll also pocket carry a 1-3 layer SAK for cutting tasks.
-Tom
All I know is that I don't know anything - but I can't prove it!

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 06:54:50 AM
Great discussion. I got into EDC to reduce and organise my carry - which has now grown hugely.

A year or so ago I went through my bag and kit and anything that isn't being used went. My pocket carry though technically more items has been streamlined and lightened to the point that it is light, comfortable and unobtrusive while still providing a whole lot of utility.

I think differentiation is an important exercise. 1. Pockets, 2. EDC Bag, 3. Car bag.

Pockets are minimalist as possible. My bag is daily usage but not constant usage, or the stuff I use less but need with me (like packets of single baby wipes for that oh smurf moment mentioned by Lynn). My car bag is the BoB/GHB/Emergency/Weather kit. I don't need to carry the car bag gear on person, it's rarely used. The stuff in my bag is not used constantly and I don't mind walking to my bag to get it. Pockets are the stuff I want with me always. Pockets are sufficient gear that if I go out without my bag or car, I don't wish I had more stuff on me. That last part was the hardest of all but I'm happy with what I achieved.

My current pocket carry (minus old style Nokia phone).

« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 07:00:19 AM by pomsbz »
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 07:10:46 AM
I think to an extent we evolve.  I have a thread about my reevaluated carry.  I stopped carrying a MT on my off days which was really weird.  I try to stay fluid tho with what I'll carry,  It was never my intention to go small or go minimal.  It is interesting to see others follow a similar path tho.  I've heard many say, the more you know, the less you need to carry, or something like that.  Its all situational really.  Its never been my intention to solve everything that may come my way.  I see peoples carries get larger and larger with contingency upon contingency built in.  First aid kits that rival EMTs kit. 

I pushed my Manager pretty hard so I think your Rambler will hold up just fine against those beers. 

Whats interesting is possibly no more CCW.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 07:17:14 AM
The need for CCW was two-fold. Angry dogs and sketchy neighborhoods.

We moved away from the neighbor with two irate pitbulls. That's no longer an issue.
I am no longer working as an assistant for an Electrician, going into scetchy neighborhoods, so again, no longer an issue.

And if I ever know I'm going someone sketchy, I can still switch to a larger bag, one of the Maxpeditions with a CCW pocket.

I haven't been carrying for a pretty long time anyway. Also... man, it'd be great to downsize my CCW pistol from 9mm to .380. Switching from a Ruger LC9 to a Kel-Tek P3AT  or Ruger LCP would cut the weight pretty much in half. But that's more money I don't have right now.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 07:23:21 AM
I remember your crazy neighbor and her dogs.  Makes total sense tho.  Did you enjoy carrying?  I mean yours was purpose driven rather than "what if" driven.  Most videos I've seen always show people who think someone is out to get them.  You had a clear loony bird living next to you.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 07:43:08 AM
I don't think I can sum it up with a few words, so I hope you'll bear with me.

The first thing, when i started carrying, was this all-encompassing overwhelming KNOWLEDGE that I had a firearm in my possession, and a kind of constant nagging fear that I would drop it and have negligent misfire, or leave my bag in a stall in a bathroom, and have it stolen, or the absurd notion that it might just accidentally discharge through mechanical failure.

I don't know what mindset other people go through, but having a firearm is, to me, a HUGE responsibility. Literally life and death. I cuss and sputter and bitch about people and how 'stupid' they are, but when it comes down to it, I don't want to kill anyone. Ever. That, I think, is a really clear life-goal of mine. In the last few moments of my life, being able to look back and think, 'well, at least I never killed anyone'.

So, having that power, easily within reach... Man... it's sobering. At least for me.

So, no. I never enjoyed carrying. I never harbored any kind of fantasy about how I'd get stuck in the Nakatomi building, and have to fight 'terrorists'. Get in a theater and have to take out a Active Shooter. None of that. I didn't want to get mauled by dogs, or have some scumbags try to jack my friend's work truck (full of a lot of tools that are really expensive to replace).

One thing it DID do was make me check my temper. I have a BAD temper. I had to constantly check that sh!t while carrying.

Also, the LC9, loaded is over a pound. Imagine carrying two Leatherman Waves taped together. That's a chunk of mass.

And with an aggressive downsizing based on 'did you need it in the last year, or ever'... Never needed it. Ever. 46 years and counting. When the issue got bad with the neighbor, we did what you're supposed to do before drawing a firearm. We left the problem area.

If multitools are the best use of weight for the most function, firearms are maybe the worst use of weight for function. But, if you need that specific function...

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 11:03:58 AM
Greatly downsized my sewing kit to 3 large safety pins, 2 sewing needles and a few colors of thread, and 2 spare buttons.

I think the only things i kept that are in the 'ever' category are the sewing kit and toilet paper.

Well they can pry my sewing kit out of my cold dead hand if they can. And a am a guy!  :D

There is no magic therefore gadgets!

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 11:36:41 AM
Greatly downsized my sewing kit to 3 large safety pins, 2 sewing needles and a few colors of thread, and 2 spare buttons.

I think the only things i kept that are in the 'ever' category are the sewing kit and toilet paper.

Well they can pry my sewing kit out of my cold dead hand if they can. And a am a guy!  :D

What a great kit! Do they still make them?
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 12:09:40 PM
I think to an extent we evolve.  I have a thread about my reevaluated carry.  I stopped carrying a MT on my off days which was really weird.  I try to stay fluid tho with what I'll carry,  It was never my intention to go small or go minimal.  It is interesting to see others follow a similar path tho.  I've heard many say, the more you know, the less you need to carry, or something like that.  Its all situational really.  Its never been my intention to solve everything that may come my way.  I see peoples carries get larger and larger with contingency upon contingency built in.  First aid kits that rival EMTs kit. 

I pushed my Manager pretty hard so I think your Rambler will hold up just fine against those beers. 

You didn't find the Manager to thick to EDC?  How/Where do you EDC it?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 12:22:36 PM

This is my mod of a sewing kit that was quite common 50 years ago or so. You can get them on ebay. I got mine from Israel for 25€.

I described how to make one in this two posts:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,9225.msg753331.html#msg753331
and:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,9225.msg753347.html#msg753347
It is not hard to make, but it is somewhat time consuming.

I was planning to make a more hi-tech version:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=59649.0
But for now haven't gotten around to actually doing it yet... :D
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 01:25:53 PM by lister »

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 01:12:39 PM

This is my mod of a sewing kit that was quite common 50 years ago or so. You can get them on ebay. I got mine from Israel for 25€.

http://forum.multitool.or....msg753331.html#msg753331
and:
http://forum.multitool.or....msg753347.html#msg753347

Unfortunately the first two links don't work.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 01:26:23 PM
There are a few sewing kit capsules on ebay right now.

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: December 08, 2017, 01:28:02 PM

http://forum.multitool.or....msg753331.html#msg753331
and:
http://forum.multitool.or....msg753347.html#msg753347

Unfortunately the first two links don't work.

They should work now, my bad. :D

Also I see that I got the first brass capsule from Canada, so the second one I bought just in case I loose the first came from Israel.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 03:08:24 PM

You didn't find the Manager to thick to EDC?  How/Where do you EDC it?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I actually prefer the size and utility to most 58mms I've tried.  I keep mine in a sheath that was made for a Classic.  I wet formed the sheet and the Manager dangles from my house keys.  Its terrific to know I have the pen on hand.  I've used it a lot and while I wouldn't want to write my memoirs with it theres no getting around the convenience.

See my post here 
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,6315.msg1568679.html#msg1568679
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: December 08, 2017, 03:20:28 PM
@Lynn.  Thank you for your honest response.  I think I'd feel very similar to you if I carried.
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: December 08, 2017, 04:19:55 PM
 It's interesting to see how other people's carries change with time, it gives you new ideas or insights that may reflect on your own carry.

Interestingly enough I've been carrying more lately, needed pliers and OHO so added a squirt and SRM 605 to my rotation. The plus is that the kids at the place I work at started calling me the gadget guy, and I quite enjoy to show some of my trinkets.

On a more serious note, I've always carried TP on my person (as long as I'm note at home). And it has come in handy many times, my only problem is, the Kleenex type of tissue is really bulky, and the friction alone tears it all apart. Do you carry it in your bag or in your pockets? I placed some TP in a little ziplock bag, but the bag wouldn't survive much longer and the paper was all mangled up.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: December 08, 2017, 04:41:30 PM
I did this same thing some time ago Lynn  :tu: I found that I ended up more following trends than what I actually needed to carry  :-\ these days it's trimmed right down to a slipjoint, a small flashlight,a coin type 4way screwdriver and folding scissors,and a small ball of cord  :D  :tu: the only thing I change is my slipjoint :tu:
2017-12-03 10.21.36.jpg
* 2017-12-03 10.21.36.jpg (Filesize: 332.88 KB)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 04:42:58 PM by Zed »

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #18 on: December 08, 2017, 05:49:35 PM
I've always carried TP on my person (as long as I'm note at home). And it has come in handy many times, my only problem is, the Kleenex type of tissue is really bulky, and the friction alone tears it all apart. Do you carry it in your bag or in your pockets? I placed some TP in a little ziplock bag, but the bag wouldn't survive much longer and the paper was all mangled up.

I carry mine in my bag, inside a ziplock. And I've actually needed the ziplock recently. I got caught in a rainstorm, and had to put my phone in it.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #19 on: December 08, 2017, 06:22:56 PM
Excellent topic as always.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #20 on: December 08, 2017, 07:05:28 PM
Excellent topic as always.

Toilet paper?  :think:   :rofl:

Thanks.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #21 on: December 08, 2017, 07:22:53 PM
About ten years ago I thought about getting a hunting license. There´s an exam. Success means a license to carry a rifle and a shotgun, but only while hunting of course. I decided against it. I don´t like unneccesary kills and I do my hunting with a camera now. The click of the camera, at the right moment, is as exciting as pulling the trigger, and it saves a lot of weight.  8)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 07:25:20 PM by Ronald Schröder »

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #22 on: December 08, 2017, 07:54:12 PM
Most of us carry gadgets is for the self satisfaction of knowing the "what if" are covered.

It is NOT overcarrying unless you feel uncomfortable doing so, both physically and mentally.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #23 on: December 08, 2017, 09:53:35 PM
My tool load has changed a lot over the last year too.  New job - less hands on and now with a no-blade policy - has meant I don't take a multi or SAK to work any more (I do leave a bladeless Rebar mod in my desk which comes in handy occasionally).  Usually I just have a Style PS or CS (shhhhh, don't tell my boss) on my keys.  We're renting our house at the moment so there's no need for much DIY so I don't carry a lot at home either - just a slip joint or small SAK usually.  I've stuffed a Swisscard Nailcare into my wallet so I've always got scissors, toothpick, tweezers and a pin handy.  Winter coming has meant I've swapped to a AA light in my pocket instead of a AAA keychain light.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #24 on: December 08, 2017, 09:53:58 PM
Most of us carry gadgets is for the self satisfaction of knowing the "what if" are covered.

It is NOT overcarrying unless you feel uncomfortable doing so, both physically and mentally.

That's a good way to look at ..

More than a sak in the pocket and a small one on the key chain is crossing that line for me.
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #25 on: December 08, 2017, 10:54:34 PM

The problem is, there is absolutely no end to trying to cover 'what if'. The line has to be drawn somewhere.

I carried earplugs because I was going to the range with some frequency. They were there in case my normal ones were lost in my range bag. Not going tothe range anymore, not planning on sleeping in a loud sleeping area, etc. No need, now.

Not working with a contractor electrician friend, so not going to dirty/dusty worksights or climbing into mildewy basements or coaldust choked atticks, so no need to carry N95 filter masks as backups.

I was talking to one of my friends who concealed carries all the time, and said the odds of driving off the road into a river are higher than needing a firearm, and his response, instead of quitting his CCW carry was to look into a small scuba respirator. Like this...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0040UK1I2/ref=asc_df_B0040UK1I25295483/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B0040UK1I2&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198063634469&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11278478444405359849&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9022368&hvtargid=pla-343141353834

There's the Yellowstone Caldera one could worry about. Asteroids, sunflares, global economic collapse.

So, what I'm looking at is 'have you needed it in the last year' and 'have you needed it ever'. The last year stuff stays 100%. The 'Ever' is on a case-by-case basis. And keep in mind, this is ON my person. My Emergency Bag in my car goes way beyond my EDC. A LOT more 'ever' cases covered and a fair number of 'could happen, never has' stuff in that.

I mean, i'm still crazy, just willing to shuffle the crazy a little more off-person. :D

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #26 on: December 08, 2017, 11:22:04 PM

The problem is, there is absolutely no end to trying to cover 'what if'. The line has to be drawn somewhere.
Agree and the line should be draw between what you feel comfort / uncomfortable to carry
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 11:27:25 PM by Kampfer »

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: December 09, 2017, 12:11:30 AM
There is no line that is for everyone. Everyone has their own opinions and their own “line”

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #28 on: December 09, 2017, 03:17:46 PM
I don't disagree with either of those previous two posts. I'm just talking about my EDC. What others carry and where their comfort line is is their business.

I tested out the Rambler last night on beers. Many... MANY beers. So many beers. :D

It is not awesome, but it does work. Some caps seem to get the edge rolled under in some spots, so it's not just a matter of popping the beer open, but rather finding the spot most likely to let the cap lifter's hook get purchase. Also, the thinness of the hook means that it occasionally tears the cap, and has to be repositioned for a second prying.

Deep thoughts on bottle opening. :D
But it works.

Further updates as they develop.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: December 09, 2017, 04:59:41 PM
I don't disagree with either of those previous two posts. I'm just talking about my EDC. What others carry and where their comfort line is is their business.

I tested out the Rambler last night on beers. Many... MANY beers. So many beers. :D

It is not awesome, but it does work. Some caps seem to get the edge rolled under in some spots, so it's not just a matter of popping the beer open, but rather finding the spot most likely to let the cap lifter's hook get purchase. Also, the thinness of the hook means that it occasionally tears the cap, and has to be repositioned for a second prying.

Deep thoughts on bottle opening. :D
But it works.

Further updates as they develop.

Agree fully on the Rambler bottle opener but the Rambler as a carry is better for me than the Style CS which preceded it which albeit had a far superior bottle opener.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%