Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Aggressively Downsizing my EDC

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Re: Aggressively Downsizing my EDC
Reply #30 on: December 09, 2017, 05:01:51 PM
Most of us carry gadgets is for the self satisfaction of knowing the "what if" are covered.

The problem is, there is absolutely no end to trying to cover 'what if'. The line has to be drawn somewhere.

I carried earplugs because I was going to the range with some frequency. They were there in case my normal ones were lost in my range bag. Not going tothe range anymore, not planning on sleeping in a loud sleeping area, etc. No need, now.

Not working with a contractor electrician friend, so not going to dirty/dusty worksights or climbing into mildewy basements or coaldust choked atticks, so no need to carry N95 filter masks as backups.

I was talking to one of my friends who concealed carries all the time, and said the odds of driving off the road into a river are higher than needing a firearm, and his response, instead of quitting his CCW carry was to look into a small scuba respirator. Like this...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0040UK1I2/ref=asc_df_B0040UK1I25295483/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B0040UK1I2&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198063634469&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11278478444405359849&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9022368&hvtargid=pla-343141353834

There's the Yellowstone Caldera one could worry about. Asteroids, sunflares, global economic collapse.

So, what I'm looking at is 'have you needed it in the last year' and 'have you needed it ever'. The last year stuff stays 100%. The 'Ever' is on a case-by-case basis. And keep in mind, this is ON my person. My Emergency Bag in my car goes way beyond my EDC. A LOT more 'ever' cases covered and a fair number of 'could happen, never has' stuff in that.

I mean, i'm still crazy, just willing to shuffle the crazy a little more off-person. :D

I did carry a dust filter mask as 'what if' for a while till I realised that I'm always wearing a t-shirt or undershirt and therefore always have to hand thickish cotton material to put over my mouth and nose in an emergency. Add to that my hank and the dust mask went into the BoB instead.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

fi Offline Padre

Reply #31 on: December 11, 2017, 07:56:28 AM
Drinking problem (problem being the opener choice) is hard one. I am so glad I was able to get rid of my opener, so Ambassador is now enough. I pick up separate opener (brewzer) if I need one.

Hopefully Rambler is enough.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #32 on: December 11, 2017, 09:08:53 AM
beer bottles you can get away with a bunch of opening tricks, seen people do it with a bic lighter, I've done it on the d shaped thing on a door jamb that the thing goes into from doorknob(not a locksmith, whats that called lol) .on the edge of a counter top you can put crimped part and whack it downward with palm, probably 100's of tricks out there.

worst comes to worst buy a domestic

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #33 on: December 11, 2017, 10:52:29 AM
My on-person carry is pretty streamlined - Pioneer X and Rambler during weekdays, some Spydie when at home, Olight AA or RCR123 light in my bag.

This thread reminds me I need to give my EDC organiser a once-over again: Multiple fire starters, Rebar and bits and extra bits and extenders, spare folder, spare light, spare batteries, sewing kit, mini tape measure, small Knipex, DMT diafold and ceramic rod sharpeners, pen, sharpie, wet wipes, headache tablets, duct tape etc etc etc.

I think the headache tablets came in handy a few times, the others not so much...  :facepalm:

Until I chuck it out, the next day I’ll need it...  :ahhh
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 10:55:36 AM by Brock O Lee »
Hans

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #34 on: December 15, 2017, 08:38:50 PM
My five years old's EDC. What do you think Lynn?
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #35 on: December 15, 2017, 08:57:07 PM
My five years old's EDC. What do you think Lynn?

IT'S TOO BIG!

I sense a 'That's what she said' joke inbound.  :facepalm:

Nah, it's nice.

I have a swisslite, and have decided that it's way better to have the light NOT on the multitool, as I might need to see and use the multitool at the same time. But your set-up also has the fauxton. I think we all know how much I like those fauxtons.

Dedicated bottle opener. I highly approve, and might go that route myself some day. This is a serious matter, and the Rambler is falling short in it's duties. :D

Is that last thing a whistle? I have a fox 40 that comes and goes, and i can't decide if I should keep it.

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Reply #36 on: December 16, 2017, 05:31:47 AM
I've been thinking of dropping my swiss army knife and going back to a folder like an Ontario Rat, but still keeping the Rambler on my keychain. As far as CCW I can relate to not "needing" it on a daily basis. I always at the very least keep mace in my car or in my coat pocket at all times. EDC is sort of a paradox...you're always trying to balance what you "might" need with what you know you "WILL" need.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 05:39:45 AM by _MattGyver_ »
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

fi Offline Padre

Reply #37 on: December 16, 2017, 01:24:31 PM
I've been thinking of dropping my swiss army knife and going back to a folder like an Ontario Rat, but still keeping the Rambler on my keychain. As far as CCW I can relate to not "needing" it on a daily basis. I always at the very least keep mace in my car or in my coat pocket at all times. EDC is sort of a paradox...you're always trying to balance what you "might" need with what you know you "WILL" need.

WHAT!? MattGyver thinking about dropping SAK for a folder? That doesnt sound right. :(
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Reply #38 on: December 16, 2017, 04:04:17 PM

WHAT!? MattGyver thinking about dropping SAK for a folder? That doesnt sound right. :(
haha you're right! How silly of me. I think I'm getting a Vic Compact and a Rebar those two seem to pair well together.....so many choices! 😵
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #39 on: December 18, 2017, 06:17:10 AM
Lynn, wouldn’t a Leatherman Style CS Solve all the needs?

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #40 on: December 18, 2017, 06:33:29 AM
I'n not a fan of the chisel grind on the blades of the Leatherman keychain tools. Otherwise, yeah, it would.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #41 on: December 18, 2017, 07:56:53 AM
I'n not a fan of the chisel grind on the blades of the Leatherman keychain tools. Otherwise, yeah, it would.
Pretty easy to reprofile it.
I was going issue the CS to my five years old but the strong handle tension of CS was little too much for his tiny fingers. So he got demoted to manager.

I, Kampfer's son, being of relatively sound mind and body, hereby entreat the powers that be to consider me for membership in good standing in the Swiss Army Knights and promise to place no knife before my trusty Swiss Army till rust do us part.

(Image removed from quote.)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 08:37:13 AM by Kampfer »

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: December 18, 2017, 03:15:59 PM

Pretty easy to reprofile it.

You would lose quite a bit of that blade reprofiling it to a V grind.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%