Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I don't need large blades

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
on: December 08, 2017, 05:54:07 PM
Much as everyone else has, I keep reevaluating the stuff I keep with me and why. I started out with an absurd amount of stuff. Big folder, big MT on belt, big light on belt, smaller traditional folder, small light, a length of cord, plus whatever was on my keys....

Straightened up went with really just an MT, light, and folder. But typically always a good sized knife, so most of the ones I own are about the size of a Buck 110.

While I was away I found myself carrying much less, both in size and quantity. Sometimes nothing at all. Thought about what I need and what I do, and realized that I rarely if ever have a need for a big knife.

I've been trying and using smaller/lighter gear and have really had no drop off in how well I can tackle the problems I feel I need to.

Went with only a Skeletool for a good few months and was perfectly set with it. I'd sometimes toss a 2 layer SAK in with it just because I wanted to carry it.

I find myself grabbing my larger knives very rarely now, which sort of stinks as I like them a lot. But I can tackle everything I need to with something the size of a Kershaw Shuffle and not be left wanting more.

I never really needed them but thought I needed something bigger, thought for some reason smaller blades wouldn't get the job done as well. But really I'd just as soon have a short stout knife over something longer.

My old job called for bigger more serious tools so I just carried like that all the time, but change of scenery causes a change of carry.......

Still gonna find reasons to carry a Buck 110 though.....
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: I don't need large blades
Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 06:21:09 PM
Same here.

I understand that it's all dependent on what you do, day to day, but in the last 20+ years, I have never needed a locking blade. Since joining MTO, I've kind of gotten on a SAK kick, but even the 91mm blade is probably more than I need. Just yesterday, I swapped out the Super Tinker for the Rambler. The problem is, while the 58mm blade has never failed on me, it FEELS inadequate. It's probably all in my head. I'll give it a while.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 06:35:40 PM
There is nothing wrong with carrying a big blade because you like big blades. I have carried a buck 110 every day for the past week. A lot of times i carry something larger :tu: larger blades to a point are usually more capable in emergency situations that you don’t face every day as well

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 06:37:00 PM
Sure, and that's why I have larger blades in my emergency bag. Just not EDC.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 06:43:55 PM
Yup! Leave a Mora Companion and a bigger Kershaw in my truck which may as well be my emergency kit.

I truly do feel a Vic 58 could easily handle everything I need, but I carry a lot of what I carry just for fun. So my carry doesn't quite match my needs. Just have to cut some heavy plastic strapping which Id rather have something sturdier to pop them over say a Classic.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 06:51:44 PM
I personally like having it on my person, but that is just my personal preference. It is easier to get to in the event of a car accident or God forbid a defensive encounter. I would reach for things other than a buck 110 first for the latter, even blade wise. Also, i dont always have my bag with me. But every situation is different, I have had a similar revelation, but with plier based tools. I keep one in my bag or desk, but a SAK is what is on me more often than not.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 06:52:14 PM
Wow i said the word “person” alot in that first sentence

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 06:59:03 PM
Higgins, you could take up hunting as an excuse to carry the 110. That's what it was designed for, after all  :tu:

I very often carry a MT and a traditional folder. Most of my traditionals are average size or smaller. Sometimes as small as a peanut.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 07:02:43 PM
Higgins, you could take up hunting as an excuse to carry the 110. That's what it was designed for, after all  :tu:

I very often carry a MT and a traditional folder. Most of my traditionals are average size or smaller. Sometimes as small as a peanut.
Peanut is one of my all time favorite trad designs. I am carrying that today too!!!

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 08:07:08 PM

Peanut is one of my all time favorite trad designs. I am carrying that today too!!!
(Image removed from quote.)

Beautiful Case you have there! I have a Case peanut too, but I don't carry it; it's a fairly old example left to me by my great grandfather and I'm paranoid about losing it.

Usually when I carry one it's this Steel Warrior;

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 08:10:13 PM
I don't need large blades for EDC neither, been carrying a small Buck knife for daily tasks.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 08:47:22 PM by Kampfer »
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 08:36:16 PM

Beautiful Case you have there! I have a Case peanut too, but I don't carry it; it's a fairly old example left to me by my great grandfather and I'm paranoid about losing it.

Usually when I carry one it's this Steel Warrior;

Thanks!!!!
I have a sentimental Peanut too. Given to me along with the truck by my girlfriend

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 08:42:09 PM
I been carrying a Buck knife too.
Nice, I also like the Buck 55.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #13 on: December 08, 2017, 08:46:45 PM
I like the fact i can OHO the buck Solo.

us Offline Joe58

Reply #14 on: December 09, 2017, 01:07:59 AM
Often times I’ve just dropped a Minichamp into my pocket and have gotten by just fine.

Everyone’s needs differ, often from day to day. That’s why you can’t just stop at one knife. Like Lays chips. Lol.
🇨🇭

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #15 on: December 09, 2017, 01:32:13 AM
I have been TRYING to reduce my belt weight with tool/light/knife reductions. Best I can manage with my job is a LM Wave, MP600BN, Bear #102 folder, an ultra light gerber box cutter (for veneer) and a 2xAAA led maglite.
Before I reduced, it was a LM Surge (or SwissTool), LM ST200(blunt nose mod), Kershaw Filter (heavy folder), Lenox box cutter (4x heavier than the new Gerber box cutter ), and a 2xAA LED maglite.
Weight has been cut about half a pound and is noticable.
My job has me using ALL of the tools daily, so I cannot reduce any further. But, maybe one day a company will make something that I can reduce weight again with.
The only constant is a Vic Explorer that barely sees the light of day in my back pocket. It is just not going to hold up to what I have to do everyday(furniture, lighting, metal work, and loading/unloading pieces) in a huge store where running for tools takes ten minutes at least). The sak is sentimental.  :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #16 on: December 09, 2017, 04:09:06 PM
well I always enjoy seeing your perspective, your carry needs and your choices, as they are often so different from mine.
As has already been said here many times, carry what you want, what brings you joy, peace of mind, confidence, utility or just a smile to your face.  :climber:

I never use all I carry daily, but I am happy to have it there for when it's needed, for playing, for "testing" and trying out, to spice things up (variety and change are the spice of life and spark of fun!) and also for lending or even giving away.  :multi:  It's always nice to be able to help and also spread the addiction, or give someone something they appreciate and value, hopefully opening a new world to them    :salute:

you know, if it was a matter of need everybody would have just a pair of shoes, one book, one pen and a single jacket, and those would be replaced when worn out or broken. Nobody does that,  :pok:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: December 09, 2017, 04:32:16 PM
I agree with the "small blade" sentiment here....for the most part. I know some "Ultra-light" hikers who carry nothing more than a Classic or a Juice.
And I tend not to carry my Bowie knives very often and usually just carry a 4" fixed blade.  :rofl:

Really, I find that most days a 1" blade would be fine for the little tasks of life, but there are times when there is no substitute for a large knife. Show me a chef and I'll show you a person whose favorite knife is in the 8-10" range. I'm going to make the argument that you don't 'need' a 'large' knife, because you have a bigger knife nearby, like a chef's knife, when you usually need one.

When out camping, fishing, hunting, or just 'woods bumming', I always have a 3-5" knife with me. That fixie might be tucked in the pocket of a pack, while a 91mm SAK rides in my pocket, but I have it along. Planning a camping trip to Panama? Machetes come in small (12"), medium (16"), and large (18"). And of course XL's and XXL's are available.

A Buck 110 makes a wonderful tool for preparing an impromptu meal of bread and cheese for a picnic. That size knife is super for peeling an apple--the 'large' size give one better control. Many grocery stores here sell hot roasted chickens. You gonna cut that up with a 58mm for lunch?  When out on road trips, I usually have a Buck 110 with me. Often it might be more knife than I "need", but I'm always comforted to have it with me, it gives me just a little more capability.

Yes, I think one could get through life with a 58mm or even no knife at all, but a 4" blade give you more options.

I'm curious to know why the new Soldier's knives from Victorinox are now in the 111mm size class, where as before they were more 93mm. Do Soldiers really 'need' a 111mm blade? Or does it just seem like a good idea--to several militaries around the world. Why?

I love small blades, but I'm not ready to give up bigger working knives just yet.  :salute:

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: December 09, 2017, 05:15:43 PM
I love me some small knives.

"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: December 09, 2017, 05:17:02 PM
Even my favourite fixie is wee.

"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #20 on: December 09, 2017, 05:27:06 PM
I'm curious to know why the new Soldier's knives from Victorinox are now in the 111mm size class, where as before they were more 93mm. Do Soldiers really 'need' a 111mm blade? Or does it just seem like a good idea--to several militaries around the world. Why?

If I had to speculate, I'd say the big one-hand opening blades are far easier to deploy in real-world stressful situations. I'm also guessing a lot of soldiers are wearing gloves, further limiting manual dexterity. I also feel that the greater size of the 111 makes a few very important improvements. The saw is much more useful on a 111 compared to 91 or 93mm. With small saws, that extra stroke length adds a good deal to its functionality. The locking caplifter/screwdriver on the 1111 Soldier also gives a higher functionality as light duty pry tool. And the locking blade itself just makes it safer with hard use.

Understand, all this is speculation on my part.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: December 09, 2017, 05:51:06 PM

If I had to speculate, I'd say the big one-hand opening blades are far easier to deploy in real-world stressful situations. I'm also guessing a lot of soldiers are wearing gloves, further limiting manual dexterity. I also feel that the greater size of the 111 makes a few very important improvements. The saw is much more useful on a 111 compared to 91 or 93mm. With small saws, that extra stroke length adds a good deal to its functionality. The locking caplifter/screwdriver on the 1111 Soldier also gives a higher functionality as light duty pry tool. And the locking blade itself just makes it safer with hard use.

Well reasoned speculation though

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #22 on: December 09, 2017, 06:36:10 PM
I am occasionally, accidentally, well reasoned. :D

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: December 09, 2017, 07:56:25 PM
Sounded reasonable to me, too. When I was deployed, I carried either a switchblade or a knife with a thumb stud for some of the reasons you mentioned. I also carried a SAK Farmer for mundane tasks. And a couple of different 5.5" fixed blades (only one at a time though.  :D).

My point being that a larger knife (111mm) may have some benefits over a smaller one. Some of those benefits may translate well into civilian life as well.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #24 on: December 09, 2017, 08:01:39 PM
Cool insights Higgins. I however, like and use my big blades to much to give them up. In fact, I will be switching from the Kansbol to the Bushcraft Black in a bit when my brother shows up and we head into the bush.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 08:07:16 PM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: December 09, 2017, 09:08:58 PM
Oh I definitely won't be chucking anything big, and I can't say I won't come to own more. But I've come to realize bigger isn't always better, and in most of what I need, that is the case.

Out in the sticks bigger blades are definitely more useful. My Mora made my job a lot easier, thing was a force to be reckoned with when it came to clearing young trees and barky vines. Found it easier and quicker than searching for the Fiskar shears, so I didn't even reach for them.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: December 09, 2017, 09:54:36 PM

Well reasoned speculation though
No, its much easier... when it was time for a new Soldier knife they would have to give companies from the whole world a chance for a bid (part of the free trade agreement with the EU).
So, in order to keep the SAK manufactured in Switzerland they made the blade longer, OHO and locking... making the knife a weapon. Weapons contracts do not have to invite tenders from other countries.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 09:56:31 PM by Etherealicer »
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: December 09, 2017, 10:13:11 PM
Well that's neat!

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #28 on: December 09, 2017, 10:18:24 PM
I am never a fan of 08 Soldier. It is way too big for what it needs to be, a dedicated sheath is require to store it.
Locking or OHO blade isn't very necessary for Soldiers who carry a bayonet or combat fixed blade anyway.

If I have a personal army (hopefully someday), I would supply with Alox Farmers (with Phillips driver) for pocket carry. 

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #29 on: December 09, 2017, 10:38:52 PM
No, its much easier... when it was time for a new Soldier knife they would have to give companies from the whole world a chance for a bid (part of the free trade agreement with the EU).
So, in order to keep the SAK manufactured in Switzerland they made the blade longer, OHO and locking... making the knife a weapon. Weapons contracts do not have to invite tenders from other countries.

That only explains why Vic made the knife bigger. That doesn't explain why so many countries adopted it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%