Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Barlow Pattern Knives - Educate me

us Offline DIAMOND

• Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes I just sits
Barlow Pattern Knives - Educate me
on: August 25, 2023, 10:59:43 PM
I'm drawn to the look of the Barlow Pattern Knives. Like many other knife designs, I'm finding they are made by a lot of different manufacturers.

On ebay, the ones from Pakistan come up a lot and the price is typically lower.

Tell me about the Barlow knives and various manufacturers and what to look for when buying a used one. I did see new ones go for as little as $10 on amazon. But I'm not sure I want a new one made in China. I don't mind some aged wood handles and a little patina on the blades.

My preference is a knife made in the USA. Ebay does have some for around $16.

Also, I don't know anything about the various model numbers.

Anyway, any and all information you can provide me would be greatly appreciated.

MTs: Gerber Dime, Gerber Suspension NXT, PLeatherman Wave, Misc China Cheapos

SAKs: Vic Climber, Vic Classic SD, Vic Classic (non-SD), Engraved 3-blade SAK (given to me as a gift)

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Barlow Pattern Knives - Educate me
Reply #1 on: August 25, 2023, 11:32:34 PM
Barlow's originally came from Sheffield England. They became very popular as a cheap sturdy work knife in the states. The longer bolster supposed to add some strength to the Barehead pattern,.

Good thread here   

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,74961.msg1597651.html#msg1597651

I would avoid the Pakistan Barlows. Plenty of nice old American Barlows on E-bay.  Camillus , Camco, Colonial, Ulster. Boker are good brands to look for. Imperials are mostly the cheaper shell construction but have good steel in the blades.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=vintage+barlow+knife&_sop=10

Colonials seem to be the best bargain Barlow's out there. Lots with advertising as well   :tu:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_dcat=48815&_fsrp=1&rt=nc&_from=R40&_nkw=vintage++Colonial+barlow+knife&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=10&Brand=Colonial

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #2 on: August 25, 2023, 11:41:00 PM
Thanks for the info. Looks like a fun night's read.  :like:

SAKs: Vic Climber, Vic Classic SD, Vic Classic (non-SD), Engraved 3-blade SAK (given to me as a gift)

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 26, 2023, 12:12:12 AM
I have one of the Schrades with the yellow delrin handles and scrollwork on the bolster.  They are nice and can usually be had for less than $30 if you're patient.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=schrade+barlow&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_fsrp=1&Brand=Colonial&rt=nc&_odkw=vintage++Colonial+barlow+knife&_osacat=0&_dcat=48815&_sop=10
- Terry

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 28, 2023, 03:42:24 PM
There is a dedicated thread in this sun forum, awl about Barlows and iirc Steve had/has a large assortment of pictures he shared from a variety of manufacturers. 

I will admit I took a long while to appreciate the pattern, I preferred the CANOE pattern and Stockman models as 1st models.

Yet, I have a few Rough Ryders in my bins. I really like the craftsmanship and styles that sport the original Rough RIDER brand, they are well built for a China made knife and some are 440C steel with a very good finish on the blade.

Today, I believe Remington has a barlow made annually, and I understood BUCK made for a few years under contract to Remington, up until 2021 or 22.

As Steve guided, the older Camillus or Scrades can be good finds.  And GEC does the pattern proud with even prouder $s☺️
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #5 on: August 28, 2023, 04:09:36 PM
I really appreciate the information!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%