Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My first knife

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
My first knife
on: July 07, 2023, 07:40:53 PM
     It was a little puzzling where to post this latest annoying story.  Not a swiss anything.  Not a multi.  Collectible?  Well it does say collectible or old.  It is old. 
     This was my first knife, I think.  One of my female relatives gave it to me.  I tried to remember, but couldn't.  It is a bowie obviously.  Japanese.  No maker's mark.  Jigged bone handles.  It is rather rusty, since I lost it years ago and only found it many years later. 
      Approximate value?  Zero, I guess.  You might as well look at it anyway.  I never really used it for anything.  Best wishes.
Gary
first bowie-00.jpg
* first bowie-00.jpg (Filesize: 76.28 KB)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: My first knife
Reply #1 on: July 07, 2023, 07:50:39 PM
I love a good bowie.  Value is not zero my friend.  Value is way more quantitative than currency accepted for item. 

I have such items.  The value to me is much more than I'd accept if I even considered selling.  I have been the recipient of some gifts from members that I am so grateful for.  These items will not ever be sold by me and are already added to my will. 

Be nice to get that rust off.  A good soak for the bone wouldn't hurt it.  Sorry if I am over stepping.  Some like to leave things as is.  I can appreciated that. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 07, 2023, 08:30:18 PM
You are definitely not overstepping.  Maybe I will try to get some rust off.  The blade has a slight hollow grind feel to it.  After I posted this in the Collectible corner, I realized that it isn't a multi.  I probably should have put it in the Any blades section.  I have a picture of the sheath with it and will try and post it later on.  Sentimental value really is value just like you said.  Best wishes.
Gary

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: July 07, 2023, 08:42:11 PM
I've had great luck with steel wool.  I tend to use 000 and 0000.  Maybe even a little compound ( mothers mag wheel polish ) to assist the steel wool.  Just enough to get that rust off.

Even a spritz of rust remover along with steel wool.  There are so many ways that are easy and you wont have to go out and buy things.  I've soaked my bone handle fixed blades in mineral oil.  They will darken but they will also do them some good.  I'm sure others have their ideas. 

Such a great knife and I hope even better memories.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 07, 2023, 09:08:34 PM
Aloha, since you liked my first bowie so much, I thought you might want to see my last bowie.  A fellow in a little one man shop moved his computer desk when he bought a new computer.  There was a shelf behind the old setup that had items on it.  Been there for decades.  I saw this bowie.  It had a price tag of $5.  I asked him if that was the price.  He said yes.  This thing is massive.  Very thick blade.  Brass guard.  Greenish tinted handles.  I forget what you call that material.  Ugly.  I have an equally ugly sheath with it.  So; approximate value.... $5 I guess.  No maker.  You can see where it looks like blow holes were welded over.  I asked the former owner who made it.  He seemed to think it might have been some Japanese kit blade.  Who knows.  Best wishes, Gary
last bowie.jpg
* last bowie.jpg (Filesize: 103.38 KB)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: July 07, 2023, 09:17:29 PM
Love, those S guards.  There is something wonderful about the Bowie knife.  The stories of course about Jim and the west.  I love the shape and history myself beyond Jim. 

Another nice knife Gary. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 09, 2023, 02:10:10 AM
I just noticed.  I am now a full fledged JR. Member!  No more Noob business for old IMR.  I may just lie down in the floor and roll around and laugh.  Well, maybe not.  But drinks are on me.  Root beer for everybody!  Best wishes,
Gary (Jr. Member)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: July 10, 2023, 04:23:20 PM
 :salute:

Only up from here!
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #8 on: July 12, 2023, 12:37:35 PM
I just noticed.  I am now a full fledged JR. Member!  No more Noob business for old IMR.  I may just lie down in the floor and roll around and laugh.  Well, maybe not.  But drinks are on me.  Root beer for everybody!  Best wishes,
Gary (Jr. Member)

Well done! Thanks for the beer, noo... huh... junior!

:cheers: :salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: August 30, 2023, 01:45:49 PM
My first knife was a cheap Richards of Sheffield .
Something like this

When I was seven I got a fixed blade for my birthday

Still have this one

William Rodgers of Sheffield

* 20230830_064311.jpg (Filesize: 414.16 KB)

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #10 on: August 30, 2023, 02:29:46 PM
My first knife saw a sak, my second is a blade only but folding, both I still have yet my grandfather showed me a large knife that his fellow military member made him, he said it was made from I think a specific shell, and how it was made you couldn’t sharpen it or else it would dull it, I was like but what if it dulls, so he pulled his sleeve up and just shaved his arm, I was like WOOOW,, that was suppose to be mine after he passed but I have no clue where it went.. I do have one solid knife which is an old boy scout knife, which was my other grandfathers, all he used it for was to cut dandelions out of the ground, but I liked it so I have it, it really needs work! I just never got to it cause it REALLY needs work!!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline DIAMOND

• Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes I just sits
Reply #11 on: August 30, 2023, 06:19:29 PM
Aloha, since you liked my first bowie so much, I thought you might want to see my last bowie.  A fellow in a little one man shop moved his computer desk when he bought a new computer.  There was a shelf behind the old setup that had items on it.  Been there for decades.  I saw this bowie.  It had a price tag of $5.  I asked him if that was the price.  He said yes.  This thing is massive.  Very thick blade.  Brass guard.  Greenish tinted handles.  I forget what you call that material.  Ugly.  I have an equally ugly sheath with it.  So; approximate value.... $5 I guess.  No maker.  You can see where it looks like blow holes were welded over.  I asked the former owner who made it.  He seemed to think it might have been some Japanese kit blade.  Who knows.  Best wishes, Gary  [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]

This most certainly was forged from the heart of a dying star.  :o
MTs: Gerber Dime, Gerber Suspension NXT, PLeatherman Wave, Misc China Cheapos

SAKs: Vic Climber, Vic Classic SD, Vic Classic (non-SD), Engraved 3-blade SAK (given to me as a gift)

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #12 on: August 30, 2023, 06:24:29 PM
This is almost identical to my first knife I got as a kid. Heck, I probably just bought it from the guy who found it after I lost it.  :-\

* PSX_20230830_112249.jpg (Filesize: 55.22 KB)

SAKs: Vic Climber, Vic Classic SD, Vic Classic (non-SD), Engraved 3-blade SAK (given to me as a gift)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: August 30, 2023, 08:49:25 PM
Sadly I don't have either my first pocket on knife or sheath knife any more.  :-[. Given I can remember what they looked like perhaps I might replace them some day, but they obviously wouldn't be quite the same.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: August 31, 2023, 01:55:21 AM
Mine was a Classic. I don't have it anymore (probably got taken by security at a ball game or something). I do still have a Hiker that was my second.

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 31, 2023, 02:37:36 AM
    The heart of a dying star?  Yes, it could be at that.  I know it rusts really easily.  It is coated with old Vietnam era grease at the moment.  The sticky black stuff from the OD green cans.  I never did get around to showing you the old Bowie in its sheath.  That is something to see.  Gruesome.  If anybody requests it, then I will take a photo. 
    It is strange how this thread languished for so long, then suddenly took off....?   Best wishes.  Gary

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: August 31, 2023, 03:12:25 AM
    The heart of a dying star?  Yes, it could be at that.  I know it rusts really easily.  It is coated with old Vietnam era grease at the moment.  The sticky black stuff from the OD green cans.  I never did get around to showing you the old Bowie in its sheath.  That is something to see.  Gruesome.  If anybody requests it, then I will take a photo. 
  It is strange how this thread languished for so long, then suddenly took off....?   Best wishes.  Gary

It's now in the proper forum  ;)

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #17 on: August 31, 2023, 01:13:15 PM

Request made. Gruesome sheath photos please!  :pok:

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: August 31, 2023, 01:52:28 PM
      You asked for it.  A drop of water hit the very tip of the sheath on the way out.  I will say one thing for it, that thing has the strongest snap you ever saw on the strap.  No way it is coming loose accidentally.  I also included a can of the aforementioned grease.  I have two cans of it.  No sense in running short, right?   :D Best wishes.  Gary

sheath.jpg
* sheath.jpg (Filesize: 168.96 KB)

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #19 on: August 31, 2023, 02:59:09 PM
You're gonna look like Grizzly Adams wearing that!

And that can of grease is great! Lol!

* PSX_20230831_080152.jpg (Filesize: 107.29 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%