Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Knifeforums members please read

ca Online Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Knifeforums members please read
on: December 09, 2017, 10:32:34 PM
I just went to KF to look something up and this is what I see?

Does anyone know how long KF has been down, have a timeframe on when (if?) they may be back?

KF was my first knife/tool home on the internet, and I was a moderator there for many years, even after starting MTO, and while I don't visit often, once in a while I like to check it out and see how it's doing.  Yeah, it hasn't been the same since Jim Nowka sold it, but I have a lot of history there, having been a member since well before Jim even owned it.

If anyone has any info, I really would appreciate hearing it.  Send me a PM if it can't be published openly.

Def
Knifeforums.jpg
* Knifeforums.jpg (Filesize: 94.48 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Re: Knifeforums members please read
Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 10:58:40 PM
This seems rather optimistic: "A new and improved version of this URL will be coming soon. Stay tuned!"

The interface was dreadful an overhaul was in order.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 11:11:29 PM
I remember when we switched to that software- it was horrid.  So many member accounts were lost in the transfer, and we had to rebuild the site almost from scratch.  The software provider was remarkably unhelpful despite Jim paying quite a bit for it.  In all the years that software was used, I don't think it ever became quite right, although I am very surprised that it lasted as long as it did.

It is one of many reasons I take any changed to MTO very seriously, and don't make the changes lightly.  So far we are still operating with the same original software we started with, and despite a few upgrades and glitches here and there, it has served us well for almost a dozen years. 

I hope the new version of KF is a lot better than the old one.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 11:41:26 PM
It has been down for quite some time although I couldn't tell you exactly how long.  I too have been a longtime member of KF.  It was the first forum I ever joined and I was sad to see it go.  Seemed like participation had dropped off a bit before the shutdown.

I'm actually glad to hear you guys say a new version is in the works.   I thought it had gone the way of the dodo.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 11:46:51 PM
It has been down for quite some time although I couldn't tell you exactly how long.  I too have been a longtime member of KF.  It was the first forum I ever joined and I was sad to see it go.  Seemed like participation had dropped off a bit before the shutdown.

I'm actually glad to hear you guys say a new version is in the works.   I thought it had gone the way of the dodo.

All the info I have is what is in the screenshot above.  I have no idea when or even if a new version is coming.  I truly hope so- even if it isn't the same as it used to be, it was my first forum too- and my only one for many years.

Def

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 01:07:49 PM
Well not long ago one of the Big ones (British Blades) finally got put down and it became extinct, to the surprise of many of us.
I hope it's not related and just an update, as you suggest.

:salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 01:27:38 PM
Well not long ago one of the Big ones (British Blades) finally got put down and it became extinct, to the surprise of many of us.

I wonder what happened there - there were some very good soles on that site.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 03:58:43 PM

They went to another site Edge Matters  :salute:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 04:05:44 PM

I didn't know that, it was a great site, very friendly.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 07:02:59 PM

I didn't know that, it was a great site, very friendly.
Wow, that's news to me. Its a shame, there used to be some great info on that site collected over the years.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #10 on: December 10, 2017, 07:15:31 PM
They are all at Edge Matters, you can ignore it if you want, but it's where they are
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #11 on: December 10, 2017, 08:20:58 PM

They went to another site Edge Matters  :salute:

Cheers Smashie!!!
 :cheers:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: December 10, 2017, 08:28:51 PM
That's good news Smashie.  I'm glad to hear BB is still ongoing in a new form.

Def

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 04:09:17 PM

All the info I have is what is in the screenshot above.  I have no idea when or even if a new version is coming.  I truly hope so- even if it isn't the same as it used to be, it was my first forum too- and my only one for many years.

Def
Same here Def. Ran the SOSAK forum alot. I have not logged in for years. Still hate to see it go down. There was tons of good info and some good guys there.
Nate

SEND IT!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: December 11, 2017, 04:35:43 PM
Indeed there was.  In fact, I only found out that it was down when I went there to look up an old thread.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: March 07, 2018, 12:47:15 PM
Still no updates on KF.   :(

Def

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #16 on: March 07, 2018, 01:05:26 PM
Still no updates on KF.   :(

Def

Only saw this thread today. I signed up some time ago, mainly because of SAKGuy and a couple more members of MTo, that also posted there regularly. Haven't visit the site much.

Found this in EDCForums, while looking up knifeforums.com:

https://www.edcforums.com/threads/is-knifeforums-dead-and-gone.137557/

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD