Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hvac/electrician multi

Offline Intercept

• New User
Hvac/electrician multi
on: December 10, 2017, 04:55:15 AM
Hi all, I'm an hvac technician looking to downsize my every day tool load with a multitool geared towards wiring. I'm really leaning towards SOG with their dedicated wire stripper (add in) component, compound leverage, hex bit driver (power play and poweraccess) and nifty easy opening.

I have looked into some Klein multis, most hvac forums talk about leatherman, and gerber looks to have some nice (but incredibly expensive) ones as well. I'm in a relatively small city in Canada, without much access to put my hands on these tools physically before I buy them. Plus I don't have enough money to throw out to buy more than one, so I need to get this right the first time.

Features that are really important are:
- Wire strippers. Haven't used anything other than the specialized tool, so using a can opener that can double as a stripper puts me off. I may be wrong in feeling this way, feel free to let me know.
- Hex bit driver. I already carry my most used bits (5/16, 1/4, #2 Robertson, etc) in my pocket all the time, so I would like non-proprietary bits and quick access to the holder.
- Knife, if possible with a blade that hooks outwards ( or is at least straight) to make cutting wire sheaths easier. I have seen some serrated blades that look like this.
- Fine slotted bit (jewlery bit?) for terminal strips on circuit boards and thermostats.

I have done some browsing online, but I'm a complete multitool noob. I would appreciate any opinions and advice you can offer. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Re: Hvac/electrician multi
Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 05:06:52 AM
First off, don't get too enthusiastic about the SOG wire stripper component.  IIRC it isn't that efficient (some one with direct experience please chime in on this).  It may be worth buying just the wire stripper component and trying it out to see if it meets your needs.  That way you haven't wasted too much money if it doesn't suit.  The good thing about older SOG MTs is that you can alter the tool load fairly easily (no special tools required).

You may be better off with a Leatherman E4 or E4S with their dedicated wire stripper jaws, and they are so small and light you will hardly notice you are carrying them. 

The Paladin PT-525 and PT-540 have dedicated wire strippers, but can be hard to find (end expensive when you do).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 05:15:33 AM
Welcome and hang out as much as you can.  There's a lot of info on here.  I would suggest looking at some of the past 30day challenges for the Mt's you are considering.  These threads contain many photos and descriptions of the uses the tools encounter each day and often by several differant users each day of the thirty days. Now as for my suggestion it comes from being in the same field.  If you want light there is no better MT than the Swisstool Spirit, just check out the differant feature packages first.  If you want virtualy indestructable (my preferance) The Swisstool X is my first choice, second would be the Leatherman Surge with the bit extender.  Hope you find the perfect MT for your needs first try, If not I'm sure some one here would be willing to do some trading with you untill you find what works best for you.  It just might take a little while to get it right.  OR you could end up like most of us in MTAA..... :whistle:
Did someone say MULTI-TOOL  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 05:24:37 AM
How about a Leatherman ES4 paired with a Gerber Center Drive?

I know you said you're not looking to buy more than one, but I think that's a pretty good pairing for your purposes. Also buying both is the MTo way  :multi:

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 06:18:05 AM
I'm semi retired from that field due to injuries, but I never really felt a multi was better than say a pair of Kleins for stripping and cutting wires, so I would recommend keeping that task for a dedicated tool with insulated handles, and a multi for the other tasks(drivers etc) and welcome to MTO

or this for crimping
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 06:23:13 AM by Blackbeard »
BB :B:

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 08:54:31 AM
Iretired from that business after more than 40 years. I carried the Victorinox Champ almost all that time.and never wanted better. It is great at that job. But it doesn't do hex bits. So add in a 1/4 drive ratchet.
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 09:17:23 AM
A Gerber Centre Drive possibly?

And a wire stripper?
I strip all my wires (from electronical wires too power lines) with my piers... never hit copper.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 09:36:39 AM
A Gerber Centre Drive possibly?

And a wire stripper?
I strip all my wires (from electronical wires too power lines) with my piers... never hit copper.
Gerber Centerdrive.
My handyman brother uses his eight hours everyday and he swear by it.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline UngentleBen

Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 04:28:40 AM
I am a propane service tech. 13 years. I currently am hauling around a Surge. with a homemade bit extender, and at least 1/4, 5/16" Nut Drivers, 3/16" Allen/Hex for gas test ports . The can opener/wire stripper is more than adequate on thermostat wires, and solid 12-14 gauge wire coatings (the scissors are my go to for taking the outer coating off of romex) , not so nice on the heavily insulated wires like on your replacement spark igniters. I believe i have used the small screwdriver (1/8" just measured) on at least a Robertshaw terminal screws and it fit not positive though. (If not, i find it a little redundant with all the flat heads on the tool anyway and if I installed a lot more thermostats I wouldn't hesitate to take a grinder to thin it out a bit more to fit in the terminal head if i needed to,). Dont forget the Coast G15 light to stuff in the sheath too..

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 01:14:45 AM
For large specialty tools there is the Gerber Groundbreaker or the Cable Dawg.
BUCK: X-Tract, 360
GERBER: Clutch, Shortcut, Dime*, DimE*, Octane & Crucial FAST
MP600 NN, CentreDrive, Grappler
Diesel*, Nickle*, Bullrush, MP600 BN, Flik & MP600DET* all in BO
LEATHERMAN: Skeletool, Style PS, CS, ES* & Style*, Juice S2(X2), SC2, C2, Pro, XE6
Crunch, MTO Style CS, Sideclip, BO Kick*
SOG: PowerAccess, Blacktip*, HD PPP
VICTORINOX: SwissTool Std, X(CS), & RS all with red logo, Spirit XBS
*=mod

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #10 on: December 15, 2017, 02:25:31 AM
I worked as an assistant for an electrician, and ended up doing lots of long wire runs in new construction. The IDEA of the compound leverage in the SOG multitools, particularly the Powerlock, was awesome. In practice, it kind of sucked. The pliers themselves cut fine. The ergonomics of the handles after a lot of use start to be noticeably bad. I ended up getting a pair of Crescent linesman pliers with compound leverage, and great rubber handles. VERY comfortable for long days with lots of wire cutting. I'm sorry that doesn't cut down your tool load, but just trying to be honest.

https://industrialsafety.com/apex-ps20509c-crescent-pro-series-linesman-compound-action-pliers-cc-ps20509cct.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIge_EwO2K2AIVmLrACh1r4QbNEAQYASABEgIWsfD_BwE

dk Offline T14

• Embrace the SAK
Reply #11 on: December 15, 2017, 08:41:15 AM
I'm the son of an electrical engineer, and 6 weeks away from being an engineer myself. I have been stripping wires for 30 years.
The SOG wire strippers are bad. Fiddly to deploy and flimsy as smurf. Great for casual tinkering a couple of times a year, but not for serious work. Steer clear.

I recommend knipex installation pliers. They do not fold, but they are a legit multitool for serious work.
http://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=1216&L=1&page=art_detail&parentID=1363&groupID=2036&artID=35180
I love mine: Needlenose, ferrule crimper, stripper, cable shears and hole deburrer. Built like a tank. :tu:

The leatherman squirt frame cable strippers are great for their size. I love the squirt E4. https://www.leatherman.com/squirt-e4-92.html

And nothing beats the Topeak bit ratchet for 1/4" bit driving in the super compact weight class https://www.topeak.com/us/en/products/tools/771-ratchet-rocket-lite-dx

-Tom
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 08:57:23 AM by T14 »
All I know is that I don't know anything - but I can't prove it!

Offline Intercept

• New User
Reply #12 on: July 29, 2018, 05:56:04 PM
Since posting this thread I installed a furnace in an irrigation supply house and came across king innovations lighting tool. I had to buy it. I've also fallen in love with Knipex tools and I agree that their wiring tool is incredible, will have to get it sometime soon as well.

The king innovation tool has incredible functionality, including a brush that I use to clean gas orifices. I filed down the long Allen key to be a terminal strip driver. While it isn't made as sturdily as a leatherman, it is great to have on my belt in an attic, crawlspace or rooftop.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #13 on: July 29, 2018, 06:06:08 PM
That tool looks amazing! Thanks for sharing!  :o :like:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #14 on: July 29, 2018, 07:07:24 PM
Well hello,
  One piece of advice, a crunch doesn’t work to well with hvac!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

Offline Old man Chris

Reply #15 on: July 29, 2018, 10:52:08 PM
I have yet to see really functional strippers on a multi . You need to adjust your expectations a tad bit . If it was me , I would go with a Leatherman Wave+ , or a vic Spirit . The knife blade on these two are functional . As are the scissors . A leatherman , with the bit kit / bit extender is handy for walk in / diagnostic stuff . They are great , when you are momentarily seperated from your tool pouch , and you need to cut , grab . thurn a small nut . They are very handy for situations , where you need a second pair of pliers . They are not Linemans , or 9” heavyduty Klein needlenose pliers . Are they usefull , yes , but like general practictioners , they aren’t really too good , for specialized tasks .

I second the Knipex reccomendation . I use mine a lot , and have consolidated the work of three pliers . 90% of the time , i just carry a pair of the pliers for electrical installation , an small but mighty pair of dikes , a terminal driver , a 1/4” hex magnetic stubby driver , and a Multi tipped 1/4” hex mid sized driver .

For you , a Klein 11 in 1 driver , a Klein 6 in 1 stubby , plus one of the schreader valve bits that work of that system , would be very handy .

A multi is usefull for exerything from opening a cold one / food prep , to cutting stuff , to standing in when you are away from your pouch/ box .

Best regards ,

Chris
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 10:58:14 PM by Old man Chris »

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: July 29, 2018, 11:06:43 PM
Since posting this thread I installed a furnace in an irrigation supply house and came across king innovations lighting tool. I had to buy it. I've also fallen in love with Knipex tools and I agree that their wiring tool is incredible, will have to get it sometime soon as well.

The king innovation tool has incredible functionality, including a brush that I use to clean gas orifices. I filed down the long Allen key to be a terminal strip driver. While it isn't made as sturdily as a leatherman, it is great to have on my belt in an attic, crawlspace or rooftop.(Image removed from quote.)

Interesting specialized tool.  Any idea why the saw has a short row of teeth on the top of the blade?
- Steve

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #17 on: July 30, 2018, 05:15:29 AM

The king innovation tool has incredible functionality, including a brush that I use to clean gas orifices. I filed down the long Allen key to be a terminal strip driver. While it isn't made as sturdily as a leatherman, it is great to have on my belt in an attic, crawlspace or rooftop.(Image removed from quote.)

Interesting specialized tool.  Any idea why the saw has a short row of teeth on the top of the blade?

Some drywall saws have teeth on both edges of the saw.
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

Offline Old man Chris

Reply #18 on: July 31, 2018, 10:44:20 PM
Actually Klein has come up with a multi for Sparkies , one dude who tested one told me the pliers are forged , they are hybrid pliers ( cross between Linesmans , and Strippers . Klein may not be up to much , these days , but their strippers are typically quite good. The tool has a #2Philips , a flat , a drop point blade ( Chinese made) , and tweezers , for those pesky metal splinters . It is not implement dense , but for your applications , may be just fine .I want to try one ,or at least handle one next time I get a chance .

Another piece of advice , if you aren’t already , start using a small belt or backpocket pouch , and a square tote , of which there are many in the market place , keep a shoulder strap on it , and hang it where possible . Mongo tool belt/pouch combo’s are going by the boards for a lot of the older guys , some sights even ban them . The reason is spinal and hip problems , later in life . Wear suspenders ( CLC, or Occidental ) , they look dorky , but spread load evenly .

Best Regards ,

Chris

Chris
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 10:46:26 PM by Old man Chris »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85