Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Retired a friend today

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Retired a friend today
on: December 11, 2017, 04:36:40 AM
For a decade, I've carried a Gerber AR 3.0 as my EDC folder. It's been the beater, and the one that does things like cut cheese and sausage becuase I hate cleaning anything more than pocket lint out of a SAK. Its been with me in the office, becuase as much as I'd rather have a small fixed blade like one of my Minimalists they just aren't office friendly. But it's reached the point where the rubber inserts in the grip are disintegrating, and the hole for the pivot pin looks like it is pealing chrome (which is funny for a knife with solid aluminum handles). Which by and large doesn't negatively impact the knife, but every time I use it there a chunk of black rubber or silvery flakes that comes out of it. So it is going out of active use.

Long term solution is going to be to fully remove the rubber, and then make wooden inserts. Unless the surface really is peeling. Either way... It needs a replacement.

I was going to get a CRKT SPEW to tuck in behind my Leatherman, and probably still will, but for places where people squeal like a calf licking the fence for the first time when they see me with a knife, it's probably going to result in a meeting with HR. SIGH. People suck. When did that happen?

Anywho... Wallyworld also has the budget CRKT M-16 10z for 20 bucks. Downside, it is a frame like like Paraframe, but it looks like I can reshape the handle slab easier so it will be easier to thumb close- the knife you can close one handed is safer. Upside, no inserts, all metal. I can put it in the dishwasher when it gets really nasty.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 04:48:44 AM by ironraven »
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Re: Retired a friend today
Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 05:22:18 AM
Need pics!!!!  Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Re: Retired a friend today
Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 12:18:07 PM
In my (limited) experience, Gerber's rubber inserts fade away pretty soon.
 The rubber on their Gator handles is solid and really durable, extremely resistant to head and cuts/puncturing (tell me that, after trying to punch a hole through my two Gators... :rant:)

BUT the rubber inserts on my MP700 are nowadays non-existent, and on my second MP700 they're starting to rip and peel away.
Sad because I really like the looks of them...   :cry:

the CRKT is very well valued among inexpensive folders, but the double locking system on some of the Carson series (M14, M16, on some models) seems to be a PITA and adds a really annoying step to the closing process.

I'd go for the SPEW myself, especially if people weren't so (inexplicably) afraid of fixed blades, something very common in my country as well   :ahhh
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%