Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Higg's Gear Thoughts and Shutter Shop

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Higg's Gear Thoughts and Shutter Shop
on: December 11, 2017, 05:35:31 AM
Just going to make my own thread to dump my pics and thoughts into, keep one going rather than starting numerous new ones. Gonna start with one from the other day, and a few of my favorite older shots I took.

Little more carnage in work.

Best "mod" I've finished so far

Really love the shots of my Dime, better photo subject than it is an MT

That last picture is probably my favorite minimalist carry I had ever put together, covered all my bases, fit on a small Sbiner, and looked cool together!

Thanks for stopping in folks, there'll be more soon
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Re: Higg's Gear Thoughts and Shutter Shop
Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 12:09:51 PM
always interesting to see EDC threads. I agree with you, the Dime is much better photo model than it is a good MT model.
I've gifted my black one but it made for good pics with thatt worn look.   :tu:

That last combo of minialist gear is very well put together and the kind of thing everybody should have on them, barely essentials, and they'd see how useful those things can be on occasion.
How do you like the Kershaw tool? I was about to get one but I haven't read much about it, lack of reviews everywhere.  ???

and what do you think of that Coast? How's the output, life of the battery and overall durability? Would you put it against a Fenix, Lumintop and Led LENSER of the same size/battery type?

Thanks and keep it going,  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 12:13:39 PM
Nice work on that Opie.
Cool thread. I have it bookmarked.
Nate

SEND IT!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 12:21:54 PM
 :spamkiller: :spamkiller:

:D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 01:43:25 PM
always interesting to see EDC threads. I agree with you, the Dime is much better photo model than it is a good MT model.

That last combo of minialist gear is very well put together and the kind of thing everybody should have on them, barely essentials, and they'd see how useful those things can be on occasion.
How do you like the Kershaw tool? I was about to get one but I haven't read much about it, lack of reviews everywhere.  ???

and what do you think of that Coast? How's the output, life of the battery and overall durability? Would you put it against a Fenix, Lumintop and Led LENSER of the same size/battery type?

That's the second of those Coasts I've had, for the price you could originally get them for (Free, just a few bucks for shipping) I loved it. The output is solid, not great. It's not as good as say an Olight I3E, but I like the tail click more than the twist and they can take a beating. I have probably 6 different Coast lights and the only time they've given me problems is when I let a battery go bad inside one. They all come with nice Duracell batteries too.

The Kershaw tool came in a combo pack my sister got for me with a folder and a spoon/fork/carabiner. bottle opener works, scraper works, but it was a bit more of keychain jewelry than hard use tool. My name starts with a K so it got to ride along lol.

I did find the Dime to really be quite useful despite the build quality lacking. The "file" is stupid, and the driver that it's on looks shoddily formed, but it is capable of turning decent sized Philips screws. And I had used the pliers to turn stuck nuts as well. With a bit better QC and work on it it would be an awesome keychain tool!

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 01:44:24 PM

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 02:12:53 PM
Already some great thoughts and pics in here :like: :like:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 04:32:26 PM

The Kershaw tool came in a combo pack my sister got for me with a folder and a spoon/fork/carabiner. bottle opener works, scraper works, but it was a bit more of keychain jewelry than hard use tool. My name starts with a K so it got to ride along lol.

hadn't thought of that, it is even cooler now   :D
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 05:00:16 PM
I know the Juice B2 isn't all that popular, but it makes for a pretty good work carry for me in my current job. Mostly cutting open boxes and cutting a few types of rope/string. having the full serrated and full plain edge is nice. and it fits in my coin pocket out of the way

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 06:44:09 AM
I know the Juice B2 isn't all that popular, but it makes for a pretty good work carry for me in my current job. Mostly cutting open boxes and cutting a few types of rope/string. having the full serrated and full plain edge is nice. and it fits in my coin pocket out of the way
It is uninspiring and ugly, but it has great cutting power for its size, it has potential.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 05:33:43 PM
It is uninspiring and ugly, but it has great cutting power for its size, it has potential.

Both fair assessments, I don't hate the way it looks, definitely not good looking though. Function over form for this one I suppose.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 05:59:47 PM
So the Coast G19 got upgraded with a lanyard hole. Thanks!  :like:

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 06:02:36 PM

That ones the G10, Coast was giving them away a few years ago if you paid for shipping. The 19 is a bit longer.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 06:03:06 PM
Here's today's carry

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 06:16:28 PM

That ones the G10, Coast was giving them away a few years ago if you paid for shipping. The 19 is a bit longer.

G10 is $3.5 right now!  :o

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 06:40:59 PM

G10 is $3.5 right now!  :o

Definitely worth that

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 06:51:49 PM
Great thread so far Higgs.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline gregpost

Reply #17 on: December 12, 2017, 08:28:58 PM
I too enjoy these vanity threads because It's interesting to see people's thoughts and progression on EDC gear and their hobbies and activities.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #18 on: December 12, 2017, 09:35:38 PM

Both fair assessments, I don't hate the way it looks, definitely not good looking though. Function over form for this one I suppose.
I am carrying my Leatherman JB2 today.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 09:45:44 PM by Kampfer »
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: December 20, 2017, 04:33:40 AM

It's baaaackkkk

Today's knives opening up newly arrived pallets of stuff. Not sure I like that the B2 didn't come with some sort of split ring or lanyard attachment point....

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: December 20, 2017, 11:49:07 AM
Thanks for the pics and the thoughts, Higgs :tu: :like:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: December 20, 2017, 05:52:08 PM
you must have had fun at work  :D
My toys:

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: December 21, 2017, 04:08:13 AM
Got to use my EDC stuff at work again today! Love when that happens, granted it was mostly on my own crap this time. I did use the "phillips" driver on my Dime to tighten a snap screw on a little guys helmet which was nice. The real help was in removing what was left of rotted eyelets on my old skates which have been relegated to pond duty now.

Flat driver made for an awesome light pry tool, needed to be a fairly fine edge to sneak between the eyelet and the boot.

Punched out the still surprisingly well seated backing as well, made short work of it and saved me from going searching for something else to get the job done.... Other tasks out of the hands of my EDC were pressing in new eyelets and swapping in newer Step Steel blades I "borrowed" from one of my other pairs that I can't stand....

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: December 21, 2017, 03:15:36 PM
Got to use my EDC stuff at work again today! Love when that happens, granted it was mostly on my own crap this time. I did use the "phillips" driver on my Dime to tighten a snap screw on a little guys helmet which was nice. The real help was in removing what was left of rotted eyelets on my old skates which have been relegated to pond duty now.

(Image removed from quote.)

Flat driver made for an awesome light pry tool, needed to be a fairly fine edge to sneak between the eyelet and the boot.

Punched out the still surprisingly well seated backing as well, made short work of it and saved me from going searching for something else to get the job done.... Other tasks out of the hands of my EDC were pressing in new eyelets and swapping in newer Step Steel blades I "borrowed" from one of my other pairs that I can't stand....

nice to see that your Dime worked for you, but I must warn you not to put much stress on it...I've broken 2 of them already!!  :oops:
And I didn't apply much force in any of those 2 occasions

:ahhh
My toys:

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: December 21, 2017, 03:25:54 PM

nice to see that your Dime worked for you, but I must warn you not to put much stress on it...I've broken 2 of them already!!  :oops:
And I didn't apply much force in any of those 2 occasions

:ahhh

This ones been going along for about 3-4 years for me now. I like it quite a bit for what it is, but wouldn't mistake it for a heavy use tool by any means. I did do a test of it along side full-size tools to see what it could do and it faired surprisingly well.

And well, for 10 bucks if it breaks it breaks. It's served well for me. And I like it for the fiddle factor.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: December 24, 2017, 05:40:12 AM

Last minute gift wrapping timeeee :ahhh

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: December 24, 2017, 05:31:35 PM

wow !! Always wanted one of those.  :o
 They are rare as a green dog, especially in my country   :ahhh
My toys:

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: December 24, 2017, 05:36:50 PM
You lot get to pick my carry for Christmas Eve festivities at the family's house.... if anyone views this in the next few hours. Might need to open some clam shell packs, turn battery door screws, pop beers.

A. Skeletool
B. Camo Fuse
C. Wave
D. Bucktool
E. Cadet
F. Old Climber
G. Rebar
H. Classic

Then Watches I have
A. Invicta Diver
B. Timex Expedition Scout

Coin pocket can be filled with a combo of my great grandfather's Zippo and...
A. Classic(if not picked above)
B. Juice B2
C. Vic Money Clip
D. Nothing

And final option.... Should I have my Dime, peanut lighter, Olight I3, and K Tool dangling from my pocket?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 05:38:38 PM by Higgins617 »

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: December 24, 2017, 05:37:55 PM

wow !! Always wanted one of those.  :o
 They are rare as a green dog, especially in my country   :ahhh

I'll be honest with ya, scissors are not great..... Handle tools and overall feel of it are quite good, but the scissors could be better

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD