Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Dunno if this qualifies as a review....

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Dunno if this qualifies as a review....
on: September 06, 2006, 12:27:03 AM
This is an article sent to me by a SOSAK member named Swiss Man.  I am sworn to secrecy about his true identity! 
Enjoy!
Def

RANTINGS OF SWISS MAN

By no way, shape, form or function am I capable of writing a review. So the following is to ease the little voices in my head, if you wish to read along you can.

For years I have been obsessed with the question “What is the best?” car, truck, flashlight watch, knife, multi tool (you can fill in your own demons.)

We (society) are obsessed with that question. So for this article / ranting, I will be addressing knives and multi tools.

My favorite is Victorinox (hands down the greatest knife ever made). Some people love and swear by Buck, Case, C.R.K.T, Schrade, Remington the list is endless. Some arrived at their favorite be trying out the others till one took there breath away. Other carry them because “This is what Dad, Grandpa carried or this was my first knife.” Others carry them because they need something to cut with and don’t care who made it. (Those people need not to read on).

Therefore it is impossible to correctly judge who has the greatest knife in the world.
Like beauty, it’s in the eyes of the beholder.

Recently I received a SOG PowerLock S-62 now mind you I have owned a Swiss Tool for 10+ years (which has never failed me). The reason I choose the Swiss Tool is because I have tried Leatherman, Schrade, Kershaw, Gerber and none impressed me like the S.T.

With a new contender in hand, I needed to see if it was worthy of E.D.C. So with help from my 14 year old son (to keep the results free from favoritism) we compared them.

The test consisted of cutting 1x4, drilling holes, driving dry wall screws, opening cans
Turning a hex head bolt, filing wood, cutting coat hanger. Here is the grade scale.
5= Excellent 4= Very good 3= Good 2= Fair 1= Poor

SOG                                                    VIC

Awl                              5                                                          5
Saw                             5                                                          4
Phillips head                 4                                                          5
Pliers                            4                                                          4
Can opener                  5                                                          4
File                               5                                                          3
Cutters                         5                                                          3

As you can see the VIC didn’t do as good as I wanted it too. I  hear a lot of VIC fans gasping for breath right now. Believe me I was stunned too.

But that is the reason for a un bias judge.

Both have wonderful features, both have draw backs. If you need a rest right now you can come back later if not we will continue.

PRO’S

VIC
100+ years in business, excellent customer service, and lifetime warranty on their products.
All tools lock (great lock position don’t have to worry about accidentally disengaging it)
No clumping
Tools on outside of handle (no opening pliers)
Comfortable handles     
Great fit and finish
Good assortment of tools

SOG
20 years in business, Lifetime warranty, excellent customer service
Compound leverage  (1# on handles equals two #’s in head)
Hard wire notch
Crimper
Tools lock
Good assortment of tools
Comfortable handles
¼” hex adaptor (can adapt any ¼ bits)
Hex construction (can modify, repair or customize your tool)
One handed opening

CON’S

VIC
No compound leverage
No hard wire notch
No visible crimper
No way to replace, repair or modify
No ¼ hex drive
No one handed opening

SOG
Tools clump
Tools inside handle (have to open pliers)
Locks can disengage during use
Gears annoying while palming tool

I can see a CEO of a Fortune 500 business having a Swiss Tool in their briefcase it is better looking and more P.C. with its smooth lines.

However though,  I can see someone in the woods with the Power Lock (more versatile).

As my friend reminded me today “Form follows function.”

Soon the misery will be over so will my ranting.

Before I leave you I wish to give you some words of wisdom from C.R.K.T and Gerber

C.R.K.T
Your knife is the most expensive and least effective crow bar you will ever own.

Gerber

No matter what multi tool you choose, just own one and

“Fend for Yourself”  (Another word of wisdom from Gerber)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline ac5

Re: Dunno if this qualifies as a review....
Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 08:18:06 PM
I'm suprised the sog saw beat the vic saw, is yours a newer model powerlock? I've never had any brand beat vic in the saw dept.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 08:33:24 PM
I didn't write that one, but maybe I can get SwissMan to come here and 'splain hisself!  It's kind of funny actually because in a recent article I did on SOSAKOnline the Wenger saw performed the best, followed by the Vic and pretty well the rest after that.  Well, actually the hacksaw did best, with Wenger 2nd and so on.  Here's the article in case anyone wants to check it out:
http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=115&Itemid=35
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Kapt Kopter

Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 11:36:29 PM
I love it when the vastly underated Wenger comes out ahead in a review. ;D............of course I always liked underdogs.

Kap 8)

one of the few that has more Wengers than Vics! >:D
I

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 12:19:07 AM
It is I Swiss Man please hold the eggs. The SOG in question is a brand spanking new POWERLOCK with the v-cutter.
I saw it for myself (no pun intented) but the VIC kept on binding up on my son. ::)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 01:43:21 AM
I have one of those new PL's with the v cutter on the way... can you give me any impressions before it arrives?
Def

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 02:01:53 AM
I like it but then again it is the newest toy in my house. I like the 1/4 inch adaptor and the v cutter it does a good job on cardboard of course after you get it you will want to find something to draw cut. I went to Wally World and bought a adaptor so now I have torx and allens and all those good things.   

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 02:03:40 AM
I can't wait to see it.  My mailbox has drool all over it already!
Def

Offline SoDak

Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 08:45:12 PM
Defender, I like the v-cutter on my powerlock, although I haven't found much use for it. However it makes an excellent letter opener. Swiss man, I'm amazed you liked the swisstool's phillips driver over the powerlock. For me it's been the other way that's not saying I don't like the swisstool, I just wish it had a better phillips.

Offline colubrid

Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 11:54:55 PM
Agree on the phillips.

But the can opener shocked me the most.. I think the Vic has the best can opener anywhere. Maybe swissmans son did not know how to use it properly?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: November 26, 2006, 12:51:35 AM
That's actually another important part of the tools on a multi- at least to me.  They shouldn't have a huge learning curve, so if he had problems working it because he didn't understand it, well that's kind of a mark against the tool too.

Def

Offline colubrid

Reply #11 on: November 26, 2006, 06:40:03 AM
Sorry if I don't agree with that. I can open a can in less than 30 seconds with a vic opener. Any other tool cannot compare to that. Just because someone tries to use a screwdriver into a phillips head should not be the tools fault.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: November 26, 2006, 01:33:57 PM
Actually the can opener screwdriver is well known (at least in SOSAK) for being quite effective on phillips screws. 

But that's the point of numerous designs- what works well for you may not work as well for someone else.

Def

Offline colubrid

Reply #13 on: November 26, 2006, 04:14:48 PM
Ugh, you missed my point. I could have used another analogy.

Don't know why you are "defending" this (pun intended :)) because you know the Vic can opener is far superior opener and thats my point. I love the SOG. I think we all wish for that perfect tool. Personally I beleive the best design are a combo of the SOG and Vic. Sure there are some things about Leathermans we all  like. But  percentage wise the two best designs have got to be a combo these two.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: November 27, 2006, 01:41:11 AM
Personally I prefer the Vic can opener, but then I don't open alot of cans.  And, from what I see, the SOG can opener is pretty well the same design just finished a little differently. 

I would have to say though that the "One" is well beyond any manufacturer at thios point, but so far the closest is the Spirit.  Although I am really starting to develop a fondness for the XE6 as well...

Def

Offline Lion

Reply #15 on: November 27, 2006, 04:25:49 AM
This could get me baned, but I've never liked the VIC can opener. It just doesn't work well for me. Heck, the can opener/bottle opener combo on the Juice line works better for me.

Leo

us Offline Splat

Reply #16 on: December 07, 2006, 11:38:36 PM
Now, I admit I've only been researching multis for about a month now, and finally own my first (LM Core), but this is the first time I've read about the SOG "Locks can disengage during use."  Now, I guess that can be said about any locking multi if you just happen to hit the release just right(?), but again I've never read that about a SOG.
Splat

Offline colubrid

Reply #17 on: December 08, 2006, 05:16:02 AM
I can tell you from experience that the Vic can opener works better than any other. How do I have this experience? I eat a lots of canned tuna fish every day. I work out at the gym a lot and I have learned to supplement tuna instead of expensive protein shakes. So in the last few years alone I open about 3-8 cans of tuna a day. Thast almost 200 can a year. Most of the time I open these with a vic can opener because  either I am on the road or other can twist manual openers and electric wear out on me. They are expensive to replace so I just use the vic can opener.

I'll also challenge anybody to a race opening a can with a multitool can opener. ANy takers?

Offline Lion

Reply #18 on: December 08, 2006, 01:59:08 PM
I can tell you from experience that the Vic can opener works better than any other. How do I have this experience? I eat a lots of canned tuna fish every day. I work out at the gym a lot and I have learned to supplement tuna instead of expensive protein shakes. So in the last few years alone I open about 3-8 cans of tuna a day. Thast almost 200 can a year. Most of the time I open these with a vic can opener because  either I am on the road or other can twist manual openers and electric wear out on me. They are expensive to replace so I just use the vic can opener.

I'll also challenge anybody to a race opening a can with a multitool can opener. ANy takers?

I don't want to start a fight, but you do realize that it only proves the Vic can opener works best for you, don't you? Dosen't matter if you can beat someone who is using a multitool can opener either. That just proves you can open cans faster than them. I'm still slower with a Vic can opener than I am with say the one on my Charge. Oh and I've used the Vic much longer. I've had a VIc SAK of one sort or another with a can opener for more than 25 years. I think that's long enough to be able to say, with authority, that they do NOT work best for me.

Leo

Offline colubrid

Reply #19 on: December 08, 2006, 11:25:55 PM
Lion,

Are you using the vic can opener gonig forwards or backwards ?

Offline Lion

Reply #20 on: December 09, 2006, 02:55:54 AM
Lion,

Ok, now that's a hard question. Never ask ex-art majors questions like that. We get all confused and our heads blow up. But to answer your question, I use it the way they show you in the little manual/pamphlet thingy. I think that would be forward. Unless you consider that the other way is the way the other styles work and the Vic works opposite, so then it would actually be backward. Unless....

;)

Leo

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: December 09, 2006, 02:58:45 AM
boom
Def

Offline colubrid

Reply #22 on: December 09, 2006, 05:04:30 AM
Lion,

Ok, now that's a hard question. Never ask ex-art majors questions like that. We get all confused and our heads blow up. But to answer your question, I use it the way they show you in the little manual/pamphlet thingy. I think that would be forward. Unless you consider that the other way is the way the other styles work and the Vic works opposite, so then it would actually be backward. Unless....

;)

Leo

Okay thats it.

My Vic opener against your Charge opener. Lets see who opens a can the fastest and post the time here. I will have someone time me with a stopwatch and I will post the fastest time out of 3 cans here.

If you want to make it more fair, use a can of tuna...unless you prefer chicken?

Your not "chicken" are you?

I'm starting my training tommorow *cracks knuckles*  I will see you here at sundown sunday night.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 05:12:59 AM by colubrid »

Offline Lion

Reply #23 on: December 11, 2006, 02:29:48 PM

Okay thats it.

My Vic opener against your Charge opener. Lets see who opens a can the fastest and post the time here. I will have someone time me with a stopwatch and I will post the fastest time out of 3 cans here.

If you want to make it more fair, use a can of tuna...unless you prefer chicken?

Your not "chicken" are you?

I'm starting my training tommorow *cracks knuckles*  I will see you here at sundown sunday night.

We can if you really want to, but I can almost guarantee you'll win. I'm not that fast with any can opener. I'm just faster with the older style. Getting a time may take me a bit. I can't stand tuna, so I'll have to wait till the wife decides to have a can at home.

I'm ignoring the whole chicken thing. Puns should be a hanging offense.

Hmmm...I just thought of something. Don't know why I didn't think of this before. I broke my wrist badly when I was 15. Its never been the same since. That could be why the Vic can opener doesn't work well for me. Or I could just be contrary.

Now, what I'd really like to try is one of those OLD style can openers that's basically a spear with a stud on the side. They look fun.

Leo

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: December 12, 2006, 12:44:47 AM
Funny, while reading this discussion, I just realized that I've never once in my life opened a can with a knife-blade type can opener. Various mechanical kitchen can openers, sure, but never with a jack knife or multi tool opener.

What kind of a weirdo does that make me?  ???
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline colubrid

Reply #25 on: December 12, 2006, 01:20:48 AM
It makes you an arm-chair-sceintist weirdo... :D

or better yet... a true fan of multitools.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: December 12, 2006, 01:23:21 AM
It makes you an arm-chair-sceintist weirdo... :D

Is that anything like.....what was that term I read just the other day?......oh yeah, a Chairborne Ranger?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%