Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Strange but interesting MT

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Strange but interesting MT
on: December 12, 2017, 04:21:31 PM
I bought a very strange MT off ebay recently. No brand markings. Finally received it today.  The design is similar to the SOG baton series. The pliers are OK. Tools looks OK but I dun think will be quite functional. Cool collection piece though. Bought it at a stellar price of $7 plus shipping! 😆
IMG_20171212_231500-744x992.jpg
* IMG_20171212_231500-744x992.jpg (Filesize: 209.59 KB)
IMG_20171212_231519-744x992.jpg
* IMG_20171212_231519-744x992.jpg (Filesize: 192.17 KB)
IMG_20171212_231613-744x992.jpg
* IMG_20171212_231613-744x992.jpg (Filesize: 209.81 KB)

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Re: Strange but interesting MT
Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 04:23:40 PM
I bought a very strange MT off ebay recently. No brand markings. Finally received it today.  The design is similar to the SOG baton series. The pliers are OK. Tools looks OK but I dun think will be quite functional. Cool collection piece though. Bought it at a stellar price of $7 plus shipping! 😆

Definitely an interesting old thing, excellent buy  :tu:

I have a vague idea I've seen photos of something similar, probably here on MTo.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 04:58:26 PM

Definitely an interesting old thing, excellent buy  :tu:

I have a vague idea I've seen photos of something similar, probably here on MTo.

In a world of dun know who copy who, I have a mini Stanley auto pliers too. I think it could have copied off the original switchpliers. Another cool but total crap in terms of functionality. Anything that's spring load is fun.. Lol.
IMG_20171212_235428-744x992.jpg
* IMG_20171212_235428-744x992.jpg (Filesize: 194.38 KB)
IMG_20171212_235452-744x992.jpg
* IMG_20171212_235452-744x992.jpg (Filesize: 189.63 KB)

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 05:14:23 PM

Chako has posted about that first one. I believe it was branded for Olympia, but I can't find the thread now.
Could you tell me what it is called on ebay? I really like that design. It looks really nice.

He also posted about those switchpliers by stanley here.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 05:15:24 PM by ReamerPunch »

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 05:56:11 PM
That piece was randomly named as "multitool pliers". It was sold as a preowned item. I snapped it up the moment I saw it. Chako's collection dated back to the jurassic age.. I think he have all the models in the whole wide universal..

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 06:01:19 PM
Dang, I was hoping it would be a seller with more of those. Oh well. Thanks!  :cheers:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 06:22:47 AM
Home Hardware, a hardware store chain still sells them on occasion.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 10:27:58 AM
In a world of dun know who copy who, I have a mini Stanley auto pliers too. I think it could have copied off the original switchpliers. Another cool but total crap in terms of functionality. Anything that's spring load is fun.. Lol.

I had an idea that Stanley were licenced by SOG to make their Auto-Plier (but I might be mis-remembering, I sometimes do).

I do know that there is also a cheap, no-name knock-off/copy of the Stanley Auto-Plier.  Very poorly made ( I know, I have several, bought cheap and I got exactly the quality I paid for).

The Fast & Furious franchise also did a promo run of genuine Auto-Pliers, mostly in bright colours in a neat hard plastic sheath.

If you are into spring loaded MTs, please be warned about the Gerber Recoil:  Never (I must repeat NEVER) carry one unsheathed in your pocket, it could cause severe damage to delicate parts of your anatomy if it releases while there.  Just ask Chako, he knows all about it   :rofl:
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 12:02:05 PM

I had an idea that Stanley were licenced by SOG to make their Auto-Plier (but I might be mis-remembering, I sometimes do).

I do know that there is also a cheap, no-name knock-off/copy of the Stanley Auto-Plier.  Very poorly made ( I know, I have several, bought cheap and I got exactly the quality I paid for).

The Fast & Furious franchise also did a promo run of genuine Auto-Pliers, mostly in bright colours in a neat hard plastic sheath.

If you are into spring loaded MTs, please be warned about the Gerber Recoil:  Never (I must repeat NEVER) carry one unsheathed in your pocket, it could cause severe damage to delicate parts of your anatomy if it releases while there.  Just ask Chako, he knows all about it   :rofl:

Yeah. Lol.. The famous Recoil.

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 06:37:01 PM
I just snagged a Stanley version of the switchplier.

It's small. Smaller than the SOG Micro Toolclip. After opening the packaging I immediately noticed it was very stiff to move. I oiled it and that made it better. After reading about the explodey-ness experienced by another member, I checked the screws on the plier pivot, and yup, they were loose. Tightened them and that should be avoidable now.

So... yeah these are just kinda crappy. They open and move freely, the switchblade part work nicely, but they're a Bad Tool. First off, the pliers. I'm not sure what leverage is happening inside the plier head, but it actually seems to be reducing the amount of leverage available. These pliers cannot cut through a regular zip tie. The SOG toolclip can manage that EASILY. It takes no force to do it. Better cutter design, and more leverage available. The Stanley crushes the zip tie, but doesn't even do a decent job of that. There's not enough leverage available.

The design of the ToolClip cutter is such that as force is applied, the wires are forced to the back of the jaws, keeping them inside the cutting blades. This Stanley tool has no such feature, so thicker wire is pushed OUT the front of the jaws. So it can't get purchase on anything and can only cut thinner wires. Which is fine, because it doesn't have the leverage to cut the thicker wires anyhow. The toolclip can manage 12ga stranded wire... although sometimes it takes two tries for a complete cut. These little stanley switchplier wannabes cannot even come close to cutting 12ga stranded. No leverage and bad cutters.

The tools are okay, but they're not separated by liners. Pulling out one tool pulls the one next to it out. The center tools are also difficult to pull out and into position. Would be nail-breakers if pulling the outer tools didn't also lift these as well. So long as you push the unwanted tool back down, the spring lock is pretty good, especially for the screwdriver tools. The screwdrivers are small - #0 phillips and #3 flat head. The blade is short but sharp. The file, which also doubles as a large flat head screwdriver, is double-cut and the cuts are deep and proper. It's really short, and on the wrong side of the tool to be useful for filing much of anything except fingernails. But it works, and it works on metal, if you have something small enough where you can use such a short file effectively. It'll take the burr off a ground edge with enough strokes.... but you'd be better off using a longer file in almost every case. Might be useful to sharpen a fish hook or something.

The holster is annoying. The hard plastic case is a neat idea, but it's poorly executed. It stays in the case nicely, it comes out of the case pretty easily, but it's fiddly to get it IN the case properly. It is easy to get it to a point where if I just forced it in, the retaining arm that keeps the tool in place could break. Also every time the tool is inserted in the case, black plastic is worn off the case by the laser-etched "Stanley" logo. The logo accumulates this black plastic and looks dirty. Also the case is wearing constantly because of this. Finally, just the act of inserting and removing the tool from the case a handful of times has caused the black paint to start wearing off the handle. (It's either paint or powder coat). The tool was brand new in the blister pack a couple hours ago, and now it's already looking worn, just from playing with it in my office and inserting it into the case maybe 10 or 15 times. Not good.

Overall this tool is a complete fail. It's not good at being pliers, because it has no leverage. It's not good at cutting things, because of a lack of leverage, badly designed cutters, and poorly sharpened cutters. It's not really good at being switchpliers, because if your fingers are even slightly on the chrome handle when hitting the release button, the pliers won't fully extend and lock into the opened position. It's okay at being a small knife, but having to open the pliers first, extend the blade, and then close the pliers is annoying and slow. It's not great at being a screwdriver, except for really small screws. It's overall just not good at anything at all. It's not even good at looking cool, because of the aforementioned fiddlyness with opening, and because the case wears the paint off so quickly. In every possible way the SOG Micro ToolClip is better. Soooo, this thing is going on eBay.

D'oh!

Charles.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 12:51:46 PM
There are a few others advertizing for The Fast and Furious film

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 24, 2018, 12:42:15 AM
Hey Chako! Since u have the 1st GEN Switch pliers here, do you think there's an improvement on the 2.0 over this?

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: June 24, 2018, 01:20:48 AM
Not sure. The older one has a more streamlined form to it which I like. The version 2 does pack one extra tool (awl), features wider opening pliers, and does include a pocket clip. Still like the first though as its shape is perfect for the pocket.

Version 2.

Original.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 01:22:26 AM by Chako »

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: June 24, 2018, 05:35:40 PM
Thanks Chako. I have the 2.0 but I find the pliers/cutter to be really weak. It doesn't have any leverage to cut harder material. I wonder if the v1 is better. Seems like v1 is slimmer as well with 1 lesser tool. Dun see them anymore these days..

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: June 26, 2018, 12:20:18 AM
If anyone wants one of the knock-off copies of the Stanley tool, they're on eBay for $5 bucks right now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spring-Assisted-Multifunction-Key-Chain-Tools-Knife-Pliers-Screw-Driver-File/350770734920

Charles.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #15 on: June 26, 2018, 05:59:22 AM
Thank you for sharing, Sam!
I just ordered one on amazon. :facepalm:
I paid $13(free ship) though.  :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: June 26, 2018, 11:37:29 AM
Thank you for sharing, Sam!
I just ordered one on amazon. :facepalm:
I paid $13(free ship) though.  :)

Ya I saw that. It popped up on amazon recently. Cheers!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: June 29, 2018, 06:05:09 AM
Hi. I'm glbm and I'm an MT-addict. :facepalm:
20180628_225300-1.jpeg
* 20180628_225300-1.jpeg (Filesize: 213.03 KB)
20180628_225435-1.jpeg
* 20180628_225435-1.jpeg (Filesize: 73.69 KB)
20180628_225509-1.jpeg
* 20180628_225509-1.jpeg (Filesize: 90.27 KB)
20180628_230200-1.jpeg
* 20180628_230200-1.jpeg (Filesize: 114.65 KB)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: June 29, 2018, 09:07:21 AM

:like: we need more like u.  :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: July 06, 2018, 05:46:19 AM
This thread has also led me to acquire the OG switchplier. :facepalm:

I can honestly agree with Chako's assertions about the Switchplier versions. :cheers:

Oh, and one other thing about the 2.0, I dislike SOG's "piano key locks", so the solid lock bar on the OG SP is better. IMO of course.
20180705_223126-1-1.jpeg
* 20180705_223126-1-1.jpeg (Filesize: 102.92 KB)
20180705_223322-1.jpeg
* 20180705_223322-1.jpeg (Filesize: 80.85 KB)
20180705_223453-1.jpeg
* 20180705_223453-1.jpeg (Filesize: 83.26 KB)

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #20 on: July 06, 2018, 05:59:41 AM

How long is that when folded up?  :think:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: July 06, 2018, 06:10:50 AM
Roughly 5.75"(14.6cm) in the "pen" shape. Roughly 4.75"(12cm) when in plier mode(plier tip to handle base). :tu:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #22 on: July 06, 2018, 06:15:07 AM
Roughly 5.75"(14.6cm) in the "pen" shape. Roughly 4.75"(12cm) when in plier mode(plier tip to handle base). :tu:

Thanks!  :salute:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: July 06, 2018, 06:25:02 AM
 :hatsoff:

I would like to note a MAJOR problem with the Olympia "pen" MT. I don't know if it has been mentioned, but when using the pliers, and pressure pushing the 'plier tip' into the handle, even lightly, causes the handles to slide back over the plier head.

It should be fine for gripping, but the way it is designed can be problematic for reaching to get something and the plier head encounters resistance.  :ahhh
20180705_232247-1.jpeg
* 20180705_232247-1.jpeg (Filesize: 144.72 KB)

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: July 07, 2018, 01:22:50 PM
May I ask how much did u pay for the OG switch plier GLBM? I can't seem to find a decent price for this.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: July 07, 2018, 01:59:58 PM
May I ask how much did u pay for the OG switch plier GLBM? I can't seem to find a decent price for this.
$61 is what I paid, plus reasonable shipping. And that was with the assumption that it needed a lot of restoration work. Luckily, it was just filthy beyond belief and cleaned up well.
I have looked at OG SPs for a while, and they seem to hover around $100. :ahhh

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: July 07, 2018, 02:26:57 PM
$61 is what I paid, plus reasonable shipping. And that was with the assumption that it needed a lot of restoration work. Luckily, it was just filthy beyond belief and cleaned up well.
I have looked at OG SPs for a while, and they seem to hover around $100. :ahhh

Good lord! I saw a used one for 39 plus shipped and thought that was high!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: July 08, 2018, 02:36:39 AM
 :o

I bought the one I did, because I couldn't see any marks where the tools may have been used in the photos. I have seen the OG SP cheaper, but they always look "well loved".  :P

If I were buying to use, I wouldn't have bought for what I paid. The Switchplier isn't my cup of tea, but it is nice to have the US and China versions in the collection. The 2.0 is not a bad tool though. Just a big compromise, like the original.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%