Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Winter / snow boots

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Winter / snow boots
on: December 13, 2017, 12:39:56 AM
I am looking for some winter boots, and was wondering whether anyone would have any suggestions. I've been looking on the net but haven't had any luck fulfilling these criteria:

1) available in the UK
2) pull on or slip on design (no laces)
3) ankle, or slightly above ankle height (not just covering the foot or going halfway up the calf)
4) good quality, reputable company
5) waterproof, and good treads which will give good grip when we have the odd snowfall here in the UK

My price range is up to around £60, so I don't expect boots that I can go on arctic expeditions with.

Appreciate any suggestions / advice.

ca Offline Marc_in_NS

• No Life Club
Re: Winter / snow boots
Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 12:57:22 AM
Hey,

I live on the east coast of Canada where winter conditions are a mix bag of everything. Bitter cold, snow, warm winds, rain, slush and flash freeze. So a good boot that is waterproof, warm with good grip is a matter of survival. For those conditions I only buy/wear one kind of boot. Rubber bottoms, leather uppers and well insulated. My go to brand is L.L. Bean, a very reputable and well established company in Maine, U.S.A. I will not put anything else on my feet this time of year. They come in all sizes and models, from shoe height to the hunter type at 12 inches. 60 pounds might get you the boots; but, you’ll have to add shipping. They do ship internationally.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 01:28:27 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check out their website to see if they have boots of the kind I'm after.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 11:04:50 AM
Hmm, way too expensive! In truth, given the lack of snowfall in the UK, pull-on, waterproof hiking boots would do the job - being too warm would actually make them difficult to use with the mild winters we often have.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 12:44:15 PM
I don't have any suggestions for you, but I will be watching this one carefully as I am currently looking for some decent waterproof boots.  I have my winter work boots for the conditions that Marc describes above, although they aren't LL. Bean, they are Dakota.  They are waterproof with composite toes and shank, insulated and rated to -40C.  But they are also a bit bulky and heavy and I am looking for something I can throw on to take the dogs out.

My current pair of hikers is the Keen Targhee model that I got on closeout a few years ago and I like them a lot.  They are also waterproof, but they are a half size too small.  They are ok to wear with thin socks but in winter when I want to wear thicker socks they get very uncomfortable.  The price was too good to pass up on them though.  I also have Keen sandals and I am very happy with the Keen brand overall.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 12:48:35 PM
There's a bit more info on my boots in this thread, although it is mostly about using paracord as laces.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,69681.0.html

A year and many miles later, I totally endorse the use of paracord as laces.  They haven't even gotten slightly worn looking yet.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Marc_in_NS

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 12:59:32 PM
There's a bit more info on my boots in this thread, although it is mostly about using paracord as laces.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,69681.0.html

A year and many miles later, I totally endorse the use of paracord as laces.  They haven't even gotten slightly worn looking yet.

Def

Cool

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 03:00:18 PM
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 03:35:28 PM
Yes, sorry, that is my fault. I posted there initially, but after getting no replies for the best part of a day (and knowing how busy these forums are and how chatty its friendly members are!), I thought maybe that forum isn't frequented too much and I would have better luck getting a reply on the general forum. But thanks to everyone who has replied on either thread, please do combine them if that makes sense.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 03:22:26 AM
I wear slip on boots from Bogs. They are fully waterproof and the shoes I probably wear the most..
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 06:33:00 PM
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD