Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New dumb old question

Butch · 75 · 2554

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
New dumb old question
on: December 13, 2017, 01:52:34 PM
It is just so much fun being on the same forum with my son,Douglas, just in case you did not know. It provides all sorts of new ways for me to embarrass him........ :rofl:.............but that is only part of the reason for this question.
What is so great about a Mora knife? I mean we even have a badge for it, why not for Buck, or Case, or Puma, or even Openil? Somebody please enlighten an old man who is lost & befuddeled.

Hope that gives the proper amount of, Oh no he did it again. Hey, Doug, at least I didn't ask for a Chinese SAK, or is it,CAK, merit badge.

:whistle: :climber:
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 02:37:10 PM by Butch »
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: New dumb old question
Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 02:12:52 PM
I'll let the Mora guys chime in here since I don't have one myself but I believe it's because it's an inexpensive knife that performs really well.

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 02:19:10 PM
It is just so much fun being on the same forum with my son,Douglas, just in case you did not know. It provides all sorts of new ways for me to embarrass hin........ :rofl:.............but that is only part of the reason for this ...."

I'm just trying to figure out who this "hin" is that you are trying to embarrass.... :facepalm:
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 02:19:46 PM
Not a dumb question at all. Most Moras are a good quality blade for little money. Made of good steel and have a scandi grind. While I love the scandi grind, they are not for everyone. Also be aware that some of the sheaths have little retention and the knife might fall out. But there are easy mods to fix this and won't cost you a dime to do them.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 02:24:42 PM
I also forgot to mention that they are great carvers and feather stick like crazy. Also, for me anyways, they are one of the easiest blade to free hand sharpen. They practically guild themselves across a stone.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 02:35:59 PM
It is just so much fun being on the same forum with my son,Douglas, just in case you did not know. It provides all sorts of new ways for me to embarrass hin........ :rofl:.............but that is only part of the reason for this ...."

I'm just trying to figure out who this "hin" is that you are trying to embarrass.... :facepalm:

OK, now you are just trying to show off your picky, picky merit badge............(*PHBBT*)....... :P
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 02:40:53 PM
I also forgot to mention that they are great carvers and feather stick like crazy. Also, for me anyways, they are one of the easiest blade to free hand sharpen. They practically guild themselves across a stone.

Not trying to argue, just trying to understand. Is that really enough reason to have a seperate merit badge, just for them?
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 02:44:20 PM

Not trying to argue, just trying to understand. Is that really enough reason to have a seperate merit badge, just for them?

It's because they're trendy items that people enjoy discussing online. They're omnipresent in the bushcrafting/general outdoors community for the reasons mentioned above.

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 02:46:31 PM

It's because they're trendy items that people enjoy discussing online. They're omnipresent in the bushcrafting/general outdoors community for the reasons mentioned above.

I guess that makes sense in a trendy sort of way.  :think:
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 02:47:21 PM
My bad, I misunderstood what you were asking.
I think part of the reason is that Morakniv has had a large following here MTO and even farther when alot of us followed Grant to here from SOSAK and KF.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 02:50:22 PM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 02:52:10 PM
My bad, I misunderstood what you were asking.
I think part of the reason is that Morakniv has had a large following here MTO and even farther when alot of us followed Grant to here from SOSAK and KF.

Now that is something an old geezer can understand.. :tu:
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 02:57:31 PM
Moras are like SAKs on the internet. The answer to most things edged wise on the forums, any and all communities of cutting things

a knife to get into the hobby  -  both work
an edged gift for a non knife person  -  either will do
very old, proven design with lots of history  -  both have that
national symbol and pride  -  the two of their own countries
no frills, straight to the point  -  absolutely in both cases
workhorses on a budget/inexpensive  -  check for both
serviceable steel, easy to sharpen  -  yes, in the two cases
all models varieties of the same basic design  -  yup
worldwide known, used and sold  -  this one too

and that's not all   :salute:
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 02:58:40 PM by ThePeacent »
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 03:10:22 PM
I wonder if it was a typo. Maybe the badge originally meant "More Knives". Meaning a badge for anyone having more knives than they'll ever use. :D
Though, in that case, we'd all likely have the More Knives badge. ;)

Hint hint...nudge nudge...admin team.... :pok: :D
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 03:15:12 PM
I wonder if it was a typo. Maybe the badge originally meant "More Knives". Meaning a badge for anyone having more knives than they'll ever use. :D

Gotta love it.........yip........ :rofl: :gimme: :gimme: :gimme:
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: December 13, 2017, 03:29:10 PM

Gotta love it.........yip........ :rofl: :gimme: :gimme: :gimme:
:rofl:
Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #15 on: December 13, 2017, 04:16:00 PM
The great thing about Moras aren't the easily field maintained steel, the low cost or the almost perfect blade shape, the big thing about them is that the handles are extremely comfortable to use for an extended period of time. 

Oh wait, maybe it is ALL of the above that makes them great!

Seriously, they are a great knife in their own right, not just a great bang for the buck, although when you factor the cost in, I sometimes wonder why there are even other knives on the market.

I sort of feel the same way about Opinels if I'm honest.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #16 on: December 13, 2017, 04:23:14 PM
Well, where´s the Opinel badge then?  :D

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #17 on: December 13, 2017, 04:31:41 PM
Well, where´s the Opinel badge then?  :D

You haven't got an 'Opinel' of getting one Ronald  :D
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: December 13, 2017, 04:47:09 PM
Seems like I've got the holy three...
SAK(s...sssssss)
Morakniv
Opinel
:D

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #20 on: December 13, 2017, 04:53:27 PM
smurf it.  I'm getting a Mora.  Awlready have an Opinel....   I'm opin to an Opinel badge.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 04:54:34 PM by El Corkscrew »
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #21 on: December 13, 2017, 04:56:40 PM
You folks are gonna end up making me spend more money on hardware I really don't need.......... :ahhh  :ahhh :ahhh :mail:
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #22 on: December 13, 2017, 04:59:38 PM
Maybe an Eldris. You get to pick your favorite color and they´re not really expensive (around E 30).

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: December 13, 2017, 05:06:22 PM

You folks are gonna end up making me spend more money on hardware I really don't need.......... :ahhh  :ahhh :ahhh :mail:

TO LATE!!!!!!! :rant: :rant:
 :ahhh :ahhh  :rofl: :rofl:
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: December 13, 2017, 05:09:07 PM

There goes your inheritance...
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #25 on: December 13, 2017, 05:11:28 PM

That youngun gonna have more knives than the law allows........... :rofl:
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 05:12:49 PM by Butch »
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #26 on: December 13, 2017, 05:11:56 PM

via Imgflip Meme Generator
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #27 on: December 13, 2017, 05:13:05 PM

That youngun gonna have more knives than the law allows........... :rofl:

:rofl:  :facepalm:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #28 on: December 13, 2017, 05:14:32 PM

via Imgflip Meme Generator

Pabs could bend a blade every day for many days with the knives in this house.......... :rofl:
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 05:16:01 PM by Butch »
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #29 on: December 13, 2017, 05:15:56 PM
Maybe an Eldris. You get to pick your favorite color and they´re not really expensive (around E 30).

Looking at a Carbon Companion....
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%