Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

On Fire in Emergencies

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: On Fire in Emergencies
Reply #30 on: December 15, 2017, 12:47:16 PM
I can only think of one time I truly "needed" a fire.  That was while out hiking in winter and even then no-one would have died without it.
But that does not sound like an emergency, that is making fire for fun (and fun it is)... I mean if I go out hiking and plan on making some bread on a stick, of course I need some fire-making device. But then the fire-making was the plan all along and I can quickly check if my lighter is functional beforehand (no need for 7 backups).

Oh, we almost always build a fire for fun, but there was one time when it was more than that and it helped warm someone who was past just a bit cold. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

nz Offline moonweasel

Reply #31 on: December 15, 2017, 11:34:19 PM
I now live in a high risk earthquake area, fire making would be handy if electricity gets knocked out, how else will I cook my steaks from the freezer before they spoil?

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: December 16, 2017, 03:10:25 AM
So, anyone ever been in an emergency that required you to make a fire?
What realistic scenario do you fear that would need you to make a fire?

This is not a critique, more a personal curiosity.

Being able would certainly come in handy in case of an accident or technical problem would keep me stuck outside during the cold part of the year. (Not counting the weather because if the weather pins me down then likely there wont be a fire anyway).

On a similar note falling in water or getting wet all over. Without a way to keep warm and dry up that can get real cold real quick.

People do freeze to death here in certain situations - like the above. Now whether some small firekit will really be up to the job is another matter.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 03:13:45 AM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #33 on: December 16, 2017, 03:53:17 AM

First, I think you're asking the wrong question. I don't fear a situation where I need to make a fire. Because I can do so. For me, the fear is being denied the ability to do those things that I can do. Its like fearing becoming a cripple- you don't need your eyes, you don't have to walk, you don't even need teeth any more, "civilization" has things that will take care of that for you. Perhaps if it is anything, it is fearing that I am no longer the master of my own fate, and thus dependent on the mercy and charity of others and on fate or luck or some god, whatever reason you want to blame for "scat happens".

You should just carry the means to start a fire. Just like you should just carry a knife. Why? Because of the same reason you change the batteries in your smoke detector twice a year, yet most of us will never need it. This is one of those head scratcher questions- it's like asking "why do you carry a flashlight" or "why do you carry a knife" or "why do you know how to tie knots" or "why do you use a pen and paper and not your phone". Any place else, I wouldn't even try to answer the question, but here, sure.

Realistic scenario. OK. I haven't had space for enough freezer for it to make much sense to hunt more than small game for a while. But when I hunted, I was in an area probably 10 or 12 square miles with no real roads and other than a few seasonal deer camps no houses because it was paper company forest land and then a state reserve. Not huge, but if anything goes wrong you're on your own until you're declared overdue or you find your own way out. There is a SAR callup at least once a year up there, and body drag every three or four years. Never got so lost I couldn't find my way back to camp, but I have stumbled into camp an hour or two after dark because I could see the mountains and had an idea which way was which the time I had two compasses disagreeing but neither had the sun setting in the west. If there were thick, low clouds, I"d have started making shelter and building a fire. Should have done that anyway, but I was still young enough to think myself 10 feet tall and bullet proof rather than trying to navigate by stars, moon and the shadows of the mountains against the sky.

I've also had ice fail under me probably half a dozen times- if I'd been more than quarter mile from home or camp, I'd have wanted a fire right there, right then. A few of those times I was very hypothermic, but I was heading towards warmth and people so I didn't stop. And I got lucky. One of those times, I slipped and did my knee up- patella was on the back of the knee once I was out of the brook. Good news was I was 50 yards from the house and I could lizard crawl and I was deep enough in the snow that the wind chill wasn't so bad. Coldest I've ever been. If this had happened where I hunted, I"d have splinted it, and tried to build a fire. Probably would have failed. Failure would have been death. And that's better than crying to death in the snow because I'm cold and I"m hurt and I don't have the ability to start a fire.

What it comes down to is a gamble. You stack the deck. You take advantage of the fact that your ancestors figured this stuff out, you can learn from their mistakes. In effect, you cheat. I carry a ferro rod on my keys, and a lighter in my pocket every day. The ferro rod is my first choice when I don't need a fire right away, to keep in practice and it's just fun. If I need a fire right now, I reach for the lighter, but I've had them fail. I have a spare lighter in my backpack, and between it and my pockets enough batteries and wire I should be able to get something to short. But the ferro rod doesn't mind being wet. It doesn't crap out at 10 below and gail force winds. (I also have a couple of large heat packs in the bag, and two body sized ones and a couple of little hand and foot sized in my coat during winter. I stack the deck. If you aren't cheating, you aren't trying to win.)

Now, if I lived in an urban location (we'll ignore that I'd probably go gibbering mad in a few months), I might not carry the ferro rod. But... I probably would. Same reason I carry a plastic business card in my wallet that has morse code and a punch out compass that I would need to float- because I do. Right there with a chunk of aluminum foil and a frensel lens and spare cash. Have for a long time. And any smartarse cityboy with pretty hair who wants to find it funny, well... That would be a failure of imagination combined with a lack of self preservation instinct on their part.

But yes, too many people, they have no idea what to do with their ferro rod. Their ancestors will turn their backs to these evolutionary failures. Century upon century of advancement, not needing to bang the rocks together, and they failed. Some humans, you just don't want to have the same number of chromosomes as.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 03:55:21 AM by ironraven »
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: December 16, 2017, 04:06:03 AM
Keeping vicious killer animals at bay is so far out there as to essentially be completely fiction (at least in the continental U.S.).

I can only remember one case here were that was actually critical. A boat with three Polish researchers capsized outside the coast of Svalbard. They lost all their gear and weapons, but managed to make it to the shore. Well there they were freezing cold, but managed to get a fire going by using a spark plug. And that was a good thing because a group of polar bears came circling in on them. Waving around with fire kept the polar bears at bay. By the time they were resqued some 15 hours later they were pressed all the way out on little bank with several polar bears just some 20 yards away.

Only actual case I know of. :)

3) Mostly, IMO, is because people feel all bad-ass when they make fires. Moreso when they do it in the least efficient way possible. Hey, Dave Cantebury and Bear Grylls do it! Bow-drill, friction fire, ferro rod, fresnel lens, ziplock bag of water, polished bottom of soda can, infinite insanity. People can't seem to separate survivalism and practicality.

I imagine it isn't actually about being efficient, but learning some old and or offbeat skills for its own sake? One could equally say that most forms of sport fishing isn't the most efficient way to actually catch fish, similar for many forms of hunting, and also for homemade crafts and equipment. Quite often there are less expensive and better stuff available commercially - and over the counter is way faster too.. That is missing a point though. 

To me it seems more about the activity itself, and if people enjoy it or find it interesting then all good. I do imagine many getting more frustration than enjoyment from many of these offbeat fire making methods though :D

(It is interesting to know the old ways, but for actual need the most efficient and reliable way seems to be the obvious choice).

« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 04:13:31 AM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #35 on: December 16, 2017, 04:30:04 PM

First, I think you're asking the wrong question. I don't fear a situation where I need to make a fire. Because I can do so.

I read all that with enthusiasm and interest and agree with all you said.   :salute:
And your opinion on "other's opinion and comments" on what we decide to carry to be self dependant and capable on our own .

Well written!  :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: December 16, 2017, 06:06:10 PM

First, I think you're asking the wrong question. I don't fear a situation where I need to make a fire. Because I can do so. For me, the fear is being denied the ability to do those things that I can do. Its like fearing becoming a cripple- you don't need your eyes, you don't have to walk, you don't even need teeth any more, "civilization" has things that will take care of that for you. Perhaps if it is anything, it is fearing that I am no longer the master of my own fate, and thus dependent on the mercy and charity of others and on fate or luck or some god, whatever reason you want to blame for "scat happens".

You should just carry the means to start a fire. Just like you should just carry a knife. Why? Because of the same reason you change the batteries in your smoke detector twice a year, yet most of us will never need it. This is one of those head scratcher questions- it's like asking "why do you carry a flashlight" or "why do you carry a knife" or "why do you know how to tie knots" or "why do you use a pen and paper and not your phone". Any place else, I wouldn't even try to answer the question, but here, sure.

Realistic scenario. OK. I haven't had space for enough freezer for it to make much sense to hunt more than small game for a while. But when I hunted, I was in an area probably 10 or 12 square miles with no real roads and other than a few seasonal deer camps no houses because it was paper company forest land and then a state reserve. Not huge, but if anything goes wrong you're on your own until you're declared overdue or you find your own way out. There is a SAR callup at least once a year up there, and body drag every three or four years. Never got so lost I couldn't find my way back to camp, but I have stumbled into camp an hour or two after dark because I could see the mountains and had an idea which way was which the time I had two compasses disagreeing but neither had the sun setting in the west. If there were thick, low clouds, I"d have started making shelter and building a fire. Should have done that anyway, but I was still young enough to think myself 10 feet tall and bullet proof rather than trying to navigate by stars, moon and the shadows of the mountains against the sky.

I've also had ice fail under me probably half a dozen times- if I'd been more than quarter mile from home or camp, I'd have wanted a fire right there, right then. A few of those times I was very hypothermic, but I was heading towards warmth and people so I didn't stop. And I got lucky. One of those times, I slipped and did my knee up- patella was on the back of the knee once I was out of the brook. Good news was I was 50 yards from the house and I could lizard crawl and I was deep enough in the snow that the wind chill wasn't so bad. Coldest I've ever been. If this had happened where I hunted, I"d have splinted it, and tried to build a fire. Probably would have failed. Failure would have been death. And that's better than crying to death in the snow because I'm cold and I"m hurt and I don't have the ability to start a fire.

What it comes down to is a gamble. You stack the deck. You take advantage of the fact that your ancestors figured this stuff out, you can learn from their mistakes. In effect, you cheat. I carry a ferro rod on my keys, and a lighter in my pocket every day. The ferro rod is my first choice when I don't need a fire right away, to keep in practice and it's just fun. If I need a fire right now, I reach for the lighter, but I've had them fail. I have a spare lighter in my backpack, and between it and my pockets enough batteries and wire I should be able to get something to short. But the ferro rod doesn't mind being wet. It doesn't crap out at 10 below and gail force winds. (I also have a couple of large heat packs in the bag, and two body sized ones and a couple of little hand and foot sized in my coat during winter. I stack the deck. If you aren't cheating, you aren't trying to win.)

Now, if I lived in an urban location (we'll ignore that I'd probably go gibbering mad in a few months), I might not carry the ferro rod. But... I probably would. Same reason I carry a plastic business card in my wallet that has morse code and a punch out compass that I would need to float- because I do. Right there with a chunk of aluminum foil and a frensel lens and spare cash. Have for a long time. And any smartarse cityboy with pretty hair who wants to find it funny, well... That would be a failure of imagination combined with a lack of self preservation instinct on their part.

But yes, too many people, they have no idea what to do with their ferro rod. Their ancestors will turn their backs to these evolutionary failures. Century upon century of advancement, not needing to bang the rocks together, and they failed. Some humans, you just don't want to have the same number of chromosomes as.

I'm just going to play devils advocate here. How much of the above could be changed from 'realistic scenario for needing a fire kit', to 'realistic scenario where not going out after dark without properly functioning equipment, or alone, or walking on thin ice is a good idea'? Fire in your examples is a solution to problems that could have been avoided.

Please note that I'm playing devils advocate. I fully appreciate the drive and want for solitude and independence in the hills, regardless of 'safer' options.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: December 17, 2017, 12:01:05 AM
I'm just going to play devils advocate here. How much of the above could be changed from 'realistic scenario for needing a fire kit', to 'realistic scenario where not going out after dark without properly functioning equipment, or alone, or walking on thin ice is a good idea'? Fire in your examples is a solution to problems that could have been avoided.

Please note that I'm playing devils advocate. I fully appreciate the drive and want for solitude and independence in the hills, regardless of 'safer' options.

So... we can play devils advoate all we want, and make one of two choices.

Choice one is to never do anything risky. That leads to a pasteurized, tranquilized "civilization" of people who never leave sight of blacktop, and never do anything. Never makes anything. Never amounts to anything. But it's safe. Its comfortable. It's easy. If something breaks, you call for "professional help". No danger. No risk. No hazard. Never have to do for yourself. Never have to think for yourself. Never face a hazard. Never deal with the unknown. Define "chaos" as the internet is out or the pizza delivery guy brought you the wrong pie. This is an evolutionary dead end.

Choice two is accept that bad luck, bad timing, and equipment failure all happen, and prepare for them with proper training and equipment, with redundancies, to mitigate that risk. But then you have to admit that you an't prepare for everything, and sometimes smurf happens. Sometimes you made a bad call, get in over your head, and you have to do everything in your power to get out of that situation becuase quite often unless you brought friends who are all now in the soup with you you have no one to call who can be there to save you. This is being in a state of constant evolution.

Seem to recall that case two is the reason things like multitools came into existence, rather than case one.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 12:14:48 AM by ironraven »
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #38 on: December 17, 2017, 02:10:14 AM

Choice one is to never do anything risky. That leads to a pasteurized, tranquilized "civilization" of people who never leave sight of blacktop, and never do anything. Never makes anything. Never amounts to anything. But it's safe. Its comfortable. It's easy. If something breaks, you call for "professional help". No danger. No risk. No hazard. Never have to do for yourself. Never have to think for yourself. Never face a hazard. Never deal with the unknown. Define "chaos" as the internet is out or the pizza delivery guy brought you the wrong pie. This is an evolutionary dead end.

Choice two is accept that bad luck, bad timing, and equipment failure all happen, and prepare for them with proper training and equipment, with redundancies, to mitigate that risk. But then you have to admit that you an't prepare for everything, and sometimes smurf happens. Sometimes you made a bad call, get in over your head, and you have to do everything in your power to get out of that situation becuase quite often unless you brought friends who are all now in the soup with you you have no one to call who can be there to save you. This is being in a state of constant evolution.

Seem to recall that case two is the reason things like multitools came into existence, rather than case one.
I think that pomsbz was wondering why you didn't stack the deck enough.  :D
Example, bring the required gear so you can safely spend the night out in the cold and snow, a GPS, etc.  :think:
And don't walk on ice. ;)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: December 17, 2017, 07:19:28 AM
I think that pomsbz was wondering why you didn't stack the deck enough.  :D
Example, bring the required gear so you can safely spend the night out in the cold and snow, a GPS, etc.  :think:
And don't walk on ice. ;)

For me that usually comes down to the chances that something might happen, and the consequences if it actually does, versus the hassle it takes to be prepared for that.

In the case of fire that balance would be that smurf is very unlikely to happen, but if it does happen then it is potentially very bad - and that it takes very little hassle to be prepared.

And because bringing stuff in the car is less hassle I actually do have stuff in the car for spending the night out in cold and snow. (And that has been used more than once).

The problem with icy lakes is that they can sometimes be real hard to see in the winter.

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: December 17, 2017, 05:11:14 PM
I hope you found out what made your compasses go awry. And while lighting a fire might have provided an alternative, it was not required to get you out of trouble.

I've also had ice fail under me probably half a dozen times- if I'd been more than quarter mile from home or camp, I'd have wanted a fire right there, right then. A few of those times I was very hypothermic, but I was heading towards warmth and people so I didn't stop.
I think that this is in most instances the best solution.
When you are wet, a fire really can save your life. However, I think you have to be quick about it. So, in a snowy landscape it might be rather hard to find enough material to make a fire.

And I got lucky. One of those times, I slipped and did my knee up- patella was on the back of the knee once I was out of the brook. Good news was I was 50 yards from the house and I could lizard crawl and I was deep enough in the snow that the wind chill wasn't so bad. Coldest I've ever been. If this had happened where I hunted, I"d have splinted it, and tried to build a fire. Probably would have failed. Failure would have been death. And that's better than crying to death in the snow because I'm cold and I"m hurt and I don't have the ability to start a fire.
A fire for the night requires a lot of wood... if you barely can move, then it will be hard to collect as much. A compression bandage is the first item you want. Some way to alert help and a personal shelter (or just a good thermal blanket).

What it comes down to is a gamble. You stack the deck. You take advantage of the fact that your ancestors figured this stuff out, you can learn from their mistakes. In effect, you cheat. I carry a ferro rod on my keys, and a lighter in my pocket every day. The ferro rod is my first choice when I don't need a fire right away, to keep in practice and it's just fun. If I need a fire right now, I reach for the lighter, but I've had them fail. I have a spare lighter in my backpack, and between it and my pockets enough batteries and wire I should be able to get something to short. But the ferro rod doesn't mind being wet. It doesn't crap out at 10 below and gail force winds. (I also have a couple of large heat packs in the bag, and two body sized ones and a couple of little hand and foot sized in my coat during winter. I stack the deck. If you aren't cheating, you aren't trying to win.).
This is the essence of my question. Is that much of redundancy to make fire really required?
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: December 17, 2017, 05:11:55 PM

I think I made the question not clear enough.

Its not about avoiding emergencies, the question is, will it be fire that saves the day? And reading through your post I would say, even for you, the answer is "its very unlikely".

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #42 on: December 17, 2017, 05:20:18 PM
Conclusion from what was said in this thread so far.

It is rather unlikely that fire will save your life. However, a lighter serves many other functions, is small, so it is a good idea to carry one nonetheless.
It is very much depending on the environment, but for most people, a lighter is probably not an emergency essential.

Alternative ways to start a fire are fun, but require a lot of practice. A lighter is much better and if you want backup you better have another lighter. That said, if you enjoy other methods of fire-starting there is really no argument against it.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #43 on: December 17, 2017, 05:24:16 PM
This is kind of the same thing as my opinion with fishing kits in 'get home bags'. While i think the notion of them is silly, the components for a fishing kit are pretty lightweight and small, and the line at very least has other practical purposes. So, for the weight, and for the cost, why not?

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: December 17, 2017, 05:35:08 PM
This is kind of the same thing as my opinion with fishing kits in 'get home bags'. While i think the notion of them is silly, the components for a fishing kit are pretty lightweight and small, and the line at very least has other practical purposes. So, for the weight, and for the cost, why not?

In my case cause there's no fishing anywhere near? :)
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: December 17, 2017, 05:47:01 PM
That is true... one should however have some skills in that area. Otherwise its fairly pointless.

Besides, I don't really care what others carry... I'm trying to figure out what I should be carrying.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #46 on: December 17, 2017, 05:57:47 PM
Conclusion from what was said in this thread so far.

It is rather unlikely that fire will save your life. However, a lighter serves many other functions, is small, so it is a good idea to carry one nonetheless.
It is very much depending on the environment, but for most people, a lighter is probably not an emergency essential.

Alternative ways to start a fire are fun, but require a lot of practice. A lighter is much better and if you want backup you better have another lighter. That said, if you enjoy other methods of fire-starting there is really no argument against it.
Btw, I think the same is true for knives. The chance that a knife will help you out in an emergency is really small... I mean how often do you get into a situation where you have to cut off your arm, right?

However, a knife has even more use outside of an emergency situation, so its always good to have a knife.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: December 17, 2017, 08:24:21 PM

Then you have to get really lost for it to be useful I guess?   :P :D
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #48 on: December 17, 2017, 09:49:45 PM

I think that is one of the key points... The world is beautifully diverse.

If you are doing alpine sports, its not a bad idea to a have an avalanche beacon and even a backpack with an avalanche airbag. Both are useless when you get lost in a forest. On the other hand, no lighter will help you if you get trapped in an glacier cleft but might save your life in a more forresty-environment.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: December 17, 2017, 11:07:31 PM

If you are doing alpine sports, its not a bad idea to a have an avalanche beacon and even a backpack with an avalanche airbag. Both are useless when you get lost in a forest. On the other hand, no lighter will help you if you get trapped in an glacier cleft but might save your life in a more forresty-environment.

I think the single biggest threat to humans are other humans and their actions. Be it through unintended smurf happenings in traffic, more purposeful bad guys, or any of the various other ways we injure, hurt or kill each other. Can't really say I've come across anything that really helps in that regard. So in the bigger perspective lighter and fishing lines are just partial answers to tiny blimps on the potential problems chart - but also problems we might exercise a bit of control over.

Actually, come to think of it, if you walk around in the right places with some great kit it will likely only get you mugged. Safer with nothing.

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: December 18, 2017, 12:17:35 AM
my opinion with fishing kits

In a short term kit, on or off blacktop, I think fishing kits are silly. You'll burn more calories trying to catch fish than you will get from them. I dismissed them as part of my theory that so much of what is part of the survival/prep culture is not only a mishmash of stuff that don't actually mix well, but also based largely on things like WWII navy manuals.

Then quite a few years ago, I had a realization. Maybe you need to be a cynic to see it. Fishing gear has a purpose in a small kit for the woods. They keep you near a water course, which is one of the first things I'm going to have people look for during a search, and it keeps you busy so you aren't trying to wander out yourself and getting more lost. Putting out snares or rat traps keeps you pretty much staying put to.

But for a town kit, it even has a purpose. One of those times I've found a damsel in distress. This was sobbing over a drainage grate in a parking garage- guess where her keys were. Can't get the grate out. But... some dental floss and a couple of paper clips later, keys. A treble hook would have worked even better.  I've also used fish hooks as anchors over the top of a door- would work on a window casing, to.

The first question is, what do I use it for? Second question is, what can I make from this.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #51 on: December 18, 2017, 07:46:27 AM

I think the single biggest threat to humans are other humans and their actions. Be it through unintended smurf happenings in traffic, more purposeful bad guys, or any of the various other ways we injure, hurt or kill each other. Can't really say I've come across anything that really helps in that regard. So in the bigger perspective lighter and fishing lines are just partial answers to tiny blimps on the potential problems chart - but also problems we might exercise a bit of control over.

Actually, come to think of it, if you walk around in the right places with some great kit it will likely only get you mugged. Safer with nothing.
A safety west/personal light has the potential to reduce the chance getting run over by accident.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: December 18, 2017, 09:47:39 AM
A safety west/personal light has the potential to reduce the chance getting run over by accident.

That is true. I am fairly reflective in the dark already but I guess it is a case of more is more.

I have actually been hit twice walking across pedestrian fields on green light. I am almost certain that first dude must have seen me but he just decided to start driving anyway. After all, why wait if he can just brush me away with the car? The traffic culture in some countries sure have more lunatics than others.

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #53 on: January 07, 2019, 12:32:33 PM
I have been thinking on this one a while, and, being back in Halifax has especially reminded me of the importance of fire.

Since we are right on the ocean, everything is wet and even on relatively mild nights the dampness gets to you and you can get hypothermia even when it isn't freezing.  Everyone always says that you dress for the cold, but here the longer you are outside the wetter you get and those layers of clothing start to work against you.  Also, it is quite windy, which, coupled with the moisture can get very problematic very quickly.  The best defense against the cold here is fire, and I firmly believe that each and every survival kit needs to have the ability to manufacture fire in a hurry, even if the wood is wet.

Also, given that Nova Scotia is basically a hunk of rock (mostly granite) pushed up from the sea floor, cell signal is never reliable, and rescue can be many hours away.  It makes more sense to build a fire and hunker down for the night rather than stumble around in the dark trying to get a signal, especially given the largely rocky and uneven terrain.  That is pretty well a guarantee to find that broken ankle you were looking for. 

Over the Christmas break I read about a family in Detroit (I think) that was paddling the river and for some reason had an emergency that caused the husband and wife, 5 year old daughter and a family friend to seek refuse on one of the islands, and they were likely saved by fire.  I don't usually paddle in the winter as the cold water is very unforgiving, but it's a safe bet they were cold and wet when they made landfall.  Unfortunately due to bad weather, rescue aircraft were unable to reach them, and due to shallow water rescue boats were unable to reach them.  As I recall, they spent more than a few hours on the island, and, because their survival kit had the ability to make fire, they were reasonably ok.

Would they have died without fire?  Probably not, but as the child was said to have mild hypothermia (I don't know how the hell that happened with three warm adults and a fire, but what the hell) it could have been a lot worse.  Fire may not have saved their lives, but there's no doubt in my mind that it saved them from very unnecessary hardships. 

It's important to remember that they had cell signal, and were able to call for help, but help was not available for some time, despite being in or near a major center. If circumstances can keep help from reaching you for hours in a populated area, imagine how long it can take rescuers to get to your position in the vast wilderness of Canada.  Some of the wilderness photos I post seem remote, but are mostly all within an hour or two's drive of a major center, and there's a long way to go to get to real remote areas of Canada.   :ahhh

Given how small fire starting stuff is, I will take it each and every time.  I may not need it, but I'd rather have it than not.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #54 on: January 07, 2019, 01:02:46 PM
Fire is not something I use a lot in regular every day life but it sure is nice to have a couple different ways to make fire if it is ever needed :salute: Most fire making supplies these days take very little room up and weigh next to nothing :cheers: If I am going in the woods at all I am taking more than a couple ways to make fire as well :cheers:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #55 on: January 07, 2019, 02:01:22 PM
I have been thinking on this one a while, and, being back in Halifax has especially reminded me of the importance of fire.

Since we are right on the ocean, everything is wet and even on relatively mild nights the dampness gets to you and you can get hypothermia even when it isn't freezing.  Everyone always says that you dress for the cold, but here the longer you are outside the wetter you get and those layers of clothing start to work against you.  Also, it is quite windy, which, coupled with the moisture can get very problematic very quickly.  The best defense against the cold here is fire, and I firmly believe that each and every survival kit needs to have the ability to manufacture fire in a hurry, even if the wood is wet.

Also, given that Nova Scotia is basically a hunk of rock (mostly granite) pushed up from the sea floor, cell signal is never reliable, and rescue can be many hours away.  It makes more sense to build a fire and hunker down for the night rather than stumble around in the dark trying to get a signal, especially given the largely rocky and uneven terrain.  That is pretty well a guarantee to find that broken ankle you were looking for. 

Over the Christmas break I read about a family in Detroit (I think) that was paddling the river and for some reason had an emergency that caused the husband and wife, 5 year old daughter and a family friend to seek refuse on one of the islands, and they were likely saved by fire.  I don't usually paddle in the winter as the cold water is very unforgiving, but it's a safe bet they were cold and wet when they made landfall.  Unfortunately due to bad weather, rescue aircraft were unable to reach them, and due to shallow water rescue boats were unable to reach them.  As I recall, they spent more than a few hours on the island, and, because their survival kit had the ability to make fire, they were reasonably ok.

Would they have died without fire?  Probably not, but as the child was said to have mild hypothermia (I don't know how the hell that happened with three warm adults and a fire, but what the hell) it could have been a lot worse.  Fire may not have saved their lives, but there's no doubt in my mind that it saved them from very unnecessary hardships. 

It's important to remember that they had cell signal, and were able to call for help, but help was not available for some time, despite being in or near a major center. If circumstances can keep help from reaching you for hours in a populated area, imagine how long it can take rescuers to get to your position in the vast wilderness of Canada.  Some of the wilderness photos I post seem remote, but are mostly all within an hour or two's drive of a major center, and there's a long way to go to get to real remote areas of Canada.   :ahhh

Given how small fire starting stuff is, I will take it each and every time.  I may not need it, but I'd rather have it than not.

Def
That sounds lucky... I think if you go out in cold weather or harsh environment you need to be even more thoughtful on what you pack. If you get into a cold river and are all wet, you need to act fast, though I think dry clothing would be your best "survival gear".

Kinda makes me wonder what alternatives there are, to get you warm, aside from fire?
- Thermos with hot tea (this is limited, but it is also readily available)
- Heating packs (chemical reaction, with fuel that slowly burns or even electrical)
- Thermal blanket (kinda requires that you are fairly warm to begin with)
- Dry clothing (especially when paddling, having dry clothing available could be a  life saver).
Anything else?

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #56 on: January 07, 2019, 02:32:20 PM
Fire is not something I use a lot in regular every day life but it sure is nice to have a couple different ways to make fire if it is ever needed :salute: Most fire making supplies these days take very little room up and weigh next to nothing :cheers: If I am going in the woods at all I am taking more than a couple ways to make fire as well :cheers:
many a mickle makes a muckle*

If your kit is stored in your car, then size/weight is far less important, but if you have to carry it, either in your pants or your backpack then that might come into it (especially pocket-space is limited).
So, it comes down to a "judgment call". Do you keep redundancy, or even drop it altogether? If you get into an emergency, how likely is fire going to save you. Do you veer on the side of caution (or as some might call it overkill), or do you take a "risk" and omit it.

*I just looked up the translation of "Kleinvieh macht auch Mist" (small animals make dung too)... I have to say, love the (British) English phrase :D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #57 on: January 07, 2019, 03:11:42 PM
Kinda makes me wonder what alternatives there are, to get you warm, aside from fire?
- Heating packs (chemical reaction, with fuel that slowly burns or even electrical)
- Dry clothing (especially when paddling, having dry clothing available could be a  life saver).
Anything else?

It's not just falling in the water that is a concern- the evening mist and frequent rain can cause serious issues most of the year, except perhaps in the middle of summer.

A thermos is a great idea, although I would like to swap the tea for hot chocolate if that's ok.  :D

Chemical heating packs don't work when they are wet, and the mist is more than enough to deactivate them.  Trust me on this, I use them a lot!

Thermal blanket is great for reflecting heat, so can help even more if you have a fire.  :D

Dry clothing is a great idea, except that in rain and mist (even forgetting the dump in cold water) everything gets wet sooner or later.  If you are out overnight you would have to have a dry set of clothes to change into every 2-3 hours, moreso if it is raining.

Without any of the above (or a fire) there's a good chance you will still be alive here the next morning, but you won't be very happy about it.  Assuming you are rescued first thing in the morning, you'd probably be ok.  If not, you may warm up a bit in the sun, but I'd guess your chances of survival without rescue or fire would decrease significantly every night you were out, and I feel like it would be a race as to whether you were killed by dehydration or hypothermia.  I'd say that's the case at least 8 months of the year here.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #58 on: January 07, 2019, 04:30:20 PM
Anything else?

It's not just falling in the water that is a concern- the evening mist and frequent rain can cause serious issues most of the year, except perhaps in the middle of summer.

A thermos is a great idea, although I would like to swap the tea for hot chocolate if that's ok.  :D

Chemical heating packs don't work when they are wet, and the mist is more than enough to deactivate them.  Trust me on this, I use them a lot!

Thermal blanket is great for reflecting heat, so can help even more if you have a fire.  :D

Dry clothing is a great idea, except that in rain and mist (even forgetting the dump in cold water) everything gets wet sooner or later.  If you are out overnight you would have to have a dry set of clothes to change into every 2-3 hours, moreso if it is raining.

Without any of the above (or a fire) there's a good chance you will still be alive here the next morning, but you won't be very happy about it.  Assuming you are rescued first thing in the morning, you'd probably be ok.  If not, you may warm up a bit in the sun, but I'd guess your chances of survival without rescue or fire would decrease significantly every night you were out, and I feel like it would be a race as to whether you were killed by dehydration or hypothermia.  I'd say that's the case at least 8 months of the year here.

Def
Why would you even go out in such weather :D

Hot chocolate is a good choice, doubles as several meals too...
Good info on the chemical heating stuff... I recently had one (from my Advent calendar), it barely got warm, so I'm not a fan to begin with. I have a coal hand warmer, but I have not used it in years. But its great if you go camping and it gets colder than anticipated.
We rarely have fog that sticks around this long, so I never got wet to the bones from fog. But I once hiked through a cloud with the same effect. However, once I was through, I was in the sun, so no problem.
As for rain gear... I pack a ultra-light rain poncho (sea to summit, ultra-sil poncho, at 145g a great EDC item if you are in a rainy country), doubling up on head/shoulder so far kept me dry even in stormy conditions. And it goes over the backpack, protecting that too.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #59 on: January 07, 2019, 05:19:14 PM
Ok, here it comes... I have never been in an emergency, where I needed to make fire and the likelihood of me getting in such an emergency I would rate as zilch... I cannot even think of an emergency where I would need to make fire.
Yet whenever I look around, every emergency kit (including mine, see attachment) has at least a dozend ways to start a fire. In addition to that, there is cotton balls, tinder and other flammable materials.

So, anyone ever been in an emergency that required you to make a fire?

This is not a critique, more a personal curiosity.

I have never been in an emergency where I had to make fire.
A realistic scenario where I fear I would have to make fire? 

Thats a tough scenario to envision for me.  My evacuation bag is for wild fires and earthquakes where we'd have to go to a shelter.  My lighter is for lighting my camp stove to cook with.  Am I required to make fire?  My evacuation plans in either of my realistic scenarios has me being self sufficient within the designated safe area we'd be evacuated to.  I'd bring things my family and I could wait out our return to our home.  Not sure my particular scenario would be adequate answer for your second question?

As for hiking and camping scenarios?  My hiking pack always has a lighter.  I never anticipate needing anything within that pack which always includes a 1st aid kit and misc things.  Interesting tho, I carry a small length of duct tape and once on the trail a woman was walking with one shoe on.  Her other shoe has darn near fell apart.  The sole was flopping and nearly completely off.  This particular day however I didn't have the duct tape.  Interesting since its something I like to carry. 

I bring this up since a lighter is small enough to carry and not make a fuss on its need.  I guess my way of thinking regarding fire is, I've never needed to make fire out hiking but a mini Bic would sure be beyond its weight in gold IF.  Thats the IF I'm ok to consider.  All the other IFs that are talked about in my outings and day to day just dont hold enough weight.   

Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD