Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Thoughts on Byrd full serrated blades?

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Thoughts on Byrd full serrated blades?
on: December 15, 2017, 04:59:55 AM
So I've never owned any Spyderco or Byrd products, and I'm not really in need of any other folders. But the full serrated Cara Cara really seems to tickle my fancy for a good price. Any lovers or objectors to their serrated blades?

(This coming after I say I don't need big folders.... Need and want are different right?... please?)
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Re: Thoughts on Byrd full serrated blades?
Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 08:53:00 AM
Depends on the steel.......8CR13?

I was very happy with a plain edge 8Cr Byrd for a very long time, no super steel so I had to strop or sharpen it every week or second week depending.

Been carrying the Salt 1 with serrated H1 for weeks now and no real maintenance needed.

I really like the look of the knife, the Byrds are solid, so if you can easily sharpen serrations or you won't be using it much, I would go for it  :tu:

Is it the Orange-handled Atlantic Salt look-alike?

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Re: Thoughts on Byrd full serrated blades?
Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 09:34:41 AM
I am also very happy with my PE Byrds and my Cara Cara, that has a 50/50 edge. In fact I'm carrying my Byrd Crossbill today instead of a more expensive Spyderco... :ahhh

The SE is almost as good as the standard Spyderedge pattern, which is the king of serrations in the knife world and the best performing one, balanced with ease of sharpening and durability. I haven't got any full SE Byrds, but I have 11 full SE Spydercos and I've been very pleased with them as most people do.   :salute:

The SE Byrds are very well valued and highly praised on the Internet forums and all I've read indicates that their serrations will do what you need them to do and more, providing years of use and easy maintenance throughout them     :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%