Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox SAK scale repair-I need some advice on how to?

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
OK, so I got this Elinox Victorinox Special Ranger with the nice vintage old Elinox style shield. Well the darn thing cracked across the area of the tweezers slot. Its a fairly clean break with a small chip missing. Now I know the easy thing would be to put on a new one, but I hate to lose the special old Elinox shield. The scale does not fall off or anything like that just yet. I was thinking super glue and then polishing them up. Does anybody here have any experience doing this kind of work? Be sure to view the close up of the cracked scale on the second photo. Thanks

91mm Elinox Special Ranger
From Vintage Swiss Army Knives

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Re: Victorinox SAK scale repair-I need some advice on how to?
Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 11:11:32 PM
well,as ive graduated as auto bdy repirs guy in my past,id just do some plastic welding into the scale and then just grind and polish it.maybe someone in your local auto shop might help u with it,if they repair busted plastic bumpers.

basically you could also do it at your home by yourself,with a hint of alcohol(90% or higher) or nailpolish without oil.with this you can clean any greas from crack.

then the second thing youll need is a donor-material from some broken sak.just cut slices of the old donor scales.youll need em later.and keep em very clean from any grease etc.

now,grind a groove to the crack,from its end to another end,about 2mm wide.

then,apply more nailpolish into some t-shirt or other cloth that doesnt lint..and gently press the cloth with entstick into groove,move it from grooves end to another end,to let polish soften the scales a bit.be careful not to drip any polish into not-broken areas.

then after the plastic starts to melt(gives a little friction when tryin to move that cloth again),pick one of the plastic strips you have carved from old donor-scales,melt it with blow torch-type lighter etc.dont let the melting plastic light up or change its colour to any brownish colour...and just try to carefully either drip or drag the melting plastic from strip to that groove.you can also try to soften the scales with torch but its very risky if you have large noxxle in torch.

let the groove fill with molten plastic,let it come over the factory level.then let it cool down.

after this,add some epoxy on backside of scales.if the crack has gone thru scales,just make a small groove there too and fill it with either molten scale material or epoxy.

after this,just be patience as you grind&sand the new added material,and polish it to new glory.

this is how id do it anyway :D

its just like bumper repairs but in small scale all over.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%