Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

[SPOILER ALERT] Star Wars 8 - The Last Jedi

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: [SPOILER ALERT] Star Wars 8 - The Last Jedi
Reply #60 on: January 04, 2018, 09:30:06 PM
i preferred episode 7 and rogue one especially.

Disney have ruined star wars and made it feel cheap and too comical.

Agreed, they've Pooper'd it!

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #61 on: January 04, 2018, 09:31:56 PM
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #62 on: January 04, 2018, 09:43:06 PM

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #63 on: January 04, 2018, 09:50:09 PM
Haven't seen the film yet (but am really looking forward to it), but I'm pleasantly surprised by Disneys tenure as SW Overlords so far.

ALSO - I really think the original films are seen through rose tinted glasses  - the script for A New Hope is truly awful to the extent that Alec Guiness washed his hands of it and Harrison Ford could barely get through his lines with a straight face. Plus C3PO (a big golden Jar Jar Binks).  However - the film was a triumph of SFX, with a great plot and characters but at the end of the day (ducks for cover) it's just a film  :D Two and a bit hours of fun. And that's all.

I will be taking my U Boat down to the bottom of our undisclosed position while ya'll use up your depth charges on me.  :D

'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #64 on: January 04, 2018, 10:08:52 PM
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #65 on: January 04, 2018, 10:12:00 PM
Haven't seen the film yet (but am really looking forward to it), but I'm pleasantly surprised by Disneys tenure as SW Overlords so far.

ALSO - I really think the original films are seen through rose tinted glasses  - the script for A New Hope is truly awful to the extent that Alec Guiness washed his hands of it and Harrison Ford could barely get through his lines with a straight face. Plus C3PO (a big golden Jar Jar Binks).  However - the film was a triumph of SFX, with a great plot and characters but at the end of the day (ducks for cover) it's just a film  :D Two and a bit hours of fun. And that's all.

I will be taking my U Boat down to the bottom of our undisclosed position while ya'll use up your depth charges on me.  :D

You're probably right about the glasses...

But it seems like they had it together for Rogue One but the other films seem to have a bunch of talented people (in all aspects of production) painfully falling sort of synergy

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #66 on: January 04, 2018, 10:21:52 PM

But it seems like they had it together for Rogue One but the other films seem to have a bunch of talented people (in all aspects of production) painfully falling sort of synergy
Yeah, loved Rogue One  :tu: but I also enjoyed The Force Awakens and will prolly enjoy The Last Jedi. After so many comic and book adaptations falling hugely short of their source material, my sights are set real low.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #67 on: January 04, 2018, 10:43:25 PM

Yeah, loved Rogue One  :tu: but I also enjoyed The Force Awakens and will prolly enjoy The Last Jedi. After so many comic and book adaptations falling hugely short of their source material, my sights are set real low.
Please tell me that you haven't read all the spoilers for The Last Jedi without seeing it.  :ahhh
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #68 on: January 04, 2018, 10:53:44 PM

Please tell me that you haven't read all the spoilers for The Last Jedi without seeing it.  :ahhh
My daughter came back fom the cinema and spilled the beans. After she'd cleaned the beans up she told me the plot of the film. No surprises for me! Or beans.

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #69 on: January 04, 2018, 11:07:33 PM
My daughter only said how much she liked it, and that I should go see it. This was after I saw how displeased everyone here was.  :ahhh

Glad I saw it on the big screen before it's gone. Might go again!  :D

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #70 on: January 04, 2018, 11:09:28 PM

My daughter came back fom the cinema and spilled the beans. After she'd cleaned the beans up she told me the plot of the film. No surprises for me! Or beans.
But that's like learning that Vader is Luke's dada before you watch The Empire Strikes Back for the first time.  ::)
Ok, bad example I admit. That plot point has become such an ingrained part of culture that most newcomers to that movie probably already know it.  :rofl:
But you get the idea.

All hail the hook!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #71 on: January 04, 2018, 11:25:17 PM
Wait....Darth Vader Is Luke's dad? How?

I need to sit down to a nice bowl of cream of cream of tomato soup (trademark of souperb soups).

us Offline twiliter

Reply #72 on: January 04, 2018, 11:29:57 PM
Darth Vader? No way!  :ahhh

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #73 on: January 04, 2018, 11:31:46 PM
Wait....Darth Vader Is Luke's dad? How?

I need to sit down to a nice bowl of cream of cream of tomato soup (trademark of souperb soups).
I know you're messin' with me.  :P
I'm less certain here....  :facepalm:

All hail the hook!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #74 on: January 04, 2018, 11:43:45 PM
How was that ever a surprise, his name is "Dark Father" ;)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #75 on: January 04, 2018, 11:45:06 PM
Yeah well, not all of us know German.  ::)

All hail the hook!

us Offline twiliter

Reply #76 on: January 04, 2018, 11:49:06 PM

:rofl:

I saw Empire at the theater too Pabs, just before I graduated high school, no worries.  :tu:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #77 on: January 04, 2018, 11:50:50 PM

The old films are also from a time, where they basically had no competition. Not sure they would get that insane popularity in today's environment.

Loved Rogue One, still think Chirrut is the most Jedi ever (and the first one that does not run from his problems). All in all it had a compelling story, emotions, a good dynamic... basically everything you wish in a movie like this.
When Alderan got destroyed, we had a shocked Obi, though I admit that catastrophe had been forgotten quite quickly (it also had very little impact). In Ep.7 they destroyed a whole solar system and managed to get even less emotions out of this. Ep.8 was a lot better written than Ep.7 but the poor placement of jokes, destroyed any tension they had ever built up. Look at my hair! I don't care for your hair, our friends get slaughtered outside!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #78 on: January 04, 2018, 11:52:42 PM
That would be Dutch :D, at least for Vader, in German its Vater... and from Darth to Dark its no leap at all.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #79 on: January 04, 2018, 11:54:56 PM
That would be Dutch :D, at least for Vader, in German its Vater... and from Darth to Dark its no leap at all.
There's a difference between Dutch and German?  :P :whistle:

All hail the hook!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #80 on: January 04, 2018, 11:56:56 PM
I thought Han was Luke's dad and Leia was the mum and Obi Wan was the grandad. Watching them again with this new information will be interesting.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #81 on: January 05, 2018, 12:00:00 AM
I thought Han was Luke's dad and Leia was the mum and Obi Wan was the grandad. Watching them again with this new information will be interesting.
Han is only like 9 years older than Luke.  ::)
Leia? Mum?  :o :ahhh Eww.
Obi Wan is almost old enough though for the granddad...

All hail the hook!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #82 on: January 05, 2018, 12:02:22 AM
Ok nerd. :pok:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #83 on: January 05, 2018, 12:07:14 AM
  :P
I looked up the BY'ers of the actors and actress.  :whistle:

All hail the hook!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #84 on: January 05, 2018, 12:19:38 AM
Shouldn't you be in bed young man? Instead of messing around on the internet's.  You don't want to be grumpy in the morning.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #85 on: January 05, 2018, 12:24:09 AM
Shouldn't you be in bed young man? Instead of messing around on the internet's.  You don't want to be grumpy in the morning.
I could say the same about you.
(Well except for the "young man" bit.  :whistle: )

All hail the hook!

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #86 on: January 05, 2018, 02:23:45 AM
Obi Wan was the grandad.

If you watch Ep1-3, what you're going to see is the official "clean up our family tree" story from the New Republic's defacto royal family.

Obi Wan was the real father. He and Padme... well... THAT is why Anakin turned to the Dark Side.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 02:25:34 AM by ironraven »
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #87 on: January 05, 2018, 11:48:37 AM
I just watched the latest Star War film a few days ago. I can tell you, I didn't find the story all that interesting. In fact, much like many here, it left me asking more questions than it should have. Come to think of it, it also left me looking at my watch wondering when it would end. For me a sure sign I wasn't all that into the story line at the cinema.

From what I have figured, here is my take on the The Last Jedi. It would appear that the Dark and Light side of the force are mostly over...taken up by a new stronger force...one of balance. The movie went to great pains hammering into my noggin that evil and light are weak...and that the newer order will be that of balance which is apparently stronger. I was exceedingly saddened by Luke's role in this film. I was hoping things would get interesting, but I was fairly prepared for this by the loss of Han Solo. What I wasn't prepared for was the continued survival of Princess Laia. Mind you, we all know what happened to  Carrie Fisher in real life. I was a bit puzzled that they didn't kill her character off...in which I will have to agree with others view points on this topic in this thread.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #88 on: January 05, 2018, 09:12:42 PM
I just watched the latest Star War film a few days ago. I can tell you, I didn't find the story all that interesting. In fact, much like many here, it left me asking more questions than it should have. Come to think of it, it also left me looking at my watch wondering when it would end. For me a sure sign I wasn't all that into the story line at the cinema.

From what I have figured, here is my take on the The Last Jedi. It would appear that the Dark and Light side of the force are mostly over...taken up by a new stronger force...one of balance. The movie went to great pains hammering into my noggin that evil and light are weak...and that the newer order will be that of balance which is apparently stronger. I was exceedingly saddened by Luke's role in this film. I was hoping things would get interesting, but I was fairly prepared for this by the loss of Han Solo. What I wasn't prepared for was the continued survival of Princess Laia. Mind you, we all know what happened to  Carrie Fisher in real life. I was a bit puzzled that they didn't kill her character off...in which I will have to agree with others view points on this topic in this thread.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #89 on: January 31, 2018, 11:28:37 PM
Saw it a couple days ago. Following old Chinese proverb: never answer a letter while angry, I decided to chew on it before posting. Here is mine. Angry anyway.

What a smurfty crap-fest.

Too derivative. If Force awakens follows original Star Wars too closely, I agree to that but it was still a good ride until Han died. Rogue One I liked a whole lot. Well, Last Jedi is nothing more than BOTH Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi crushed together into one movie, with some elements of each of those done in reverse. Not for the sake of story, mind you, but solely to keep you guessing. At the story's expense.

I could go point for point on that but there just isn't space for that here.

Leia can fly through space now? I know she has the force but that looked smurfty and lazy. Don't blow her out into space, then. Just injure her and have her recover.

Another white frosted planet (ok, this time it's salt-whatever) with trenches and AT AT's battering another rebel base.

Again hero and bad guy in the throne room pitted against each other and the big cheese, who dies. Slightly different outcome, but that's just to throw you off the trail of hack writing. They can't be said to have followed yet another original trilogy movie story line, so they followed TWO of them, with some zig says to keep you off their backs.

That casino scene, and the subsequent "save the space-racehorses" drivel was ridiculous and did not add anything to the story. Nothing but an agenda there. I love my dog and animals, but man, why don't they hit us over the friggin head with it.

I liked that Luke was reluctant to teach Rey, but he should have come around.
Chewbacca's scenes, I thought, were that perfect blend of big angry wookie and gentle hearted wookie that we saw in Star Wars and Empire. He was the best thing in the movie.

By the way, how many dudes are they going to dress to look kinda like Han, so we can still sort of feel like there is someone like him around?

When he arrived on the salt planet, at first I thought, as others did, that the continuity department had fallen asleep at the switch. But everything Luke does in that sequence makes no sense, if he were just a projection. Wiping dust off your shoulder? I thought that was cool if he had been there. For a projection, it is just show.

So he gives Leia Hans old dice, but it wasn't real? They faded when Kylo picked them up, so Leia sure couldn't have kept them, so why have that gesture?

Also, Luke arriving on salt and holing off the entire empire then dying, makes sense if he is actually there. The point of a projection, however, is that you are not there. Theatrically, it should only have been used as such a trick if Luke were to remain protected and alive. Luke should have lived and kicked ads with Kylie barely escaping. Next movie opens with Rey actually training. Luke bites it half through the movie and Rey finishes the job.

So many empire ships following the rebel ship. All they had to do was speed up and surround her. One in front, one on each side. Under. Over. She is stopped. And they could have blown her out of the water at any time. This whole thing was painfully stupid. It would have made sense if there was only one ship actually perusing her.

Kylo should be named Emo. What a snowflake whiney brat. THAT'S the bad guy?!. He's at the threshold of crying in every scene.

Vader - as we knew him in original trilogy - was scary cool bad ass. This emo crap does not fly.

Snoke? What a joke. The emperor had weight behind him, because of the little we saw him on Empire, but also what he said about the "son of Skywalker" and how he had to be eliminated.

By the way, I implore any of you who have the ORIGINAL THEATRICAL VERSIONS of the original trilogy (like I do) - not any of the 1997 and onward special editions - to re-watch Star Wars and Empire theatrical releases. Then watch this lazy piece of exposition again and tell me which has more kick ass story, action, and heart.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 11:48:11 PM by ThundahBeagle »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD