Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Deluxe Tinker Phillips too big!?!

Offline Gable151

Deluxe Tinker Phillips too big!?!
on: December 15, 2017, 02:49:28 PM
Heya!  I am in need of some multitool nerd advice.  Let me give you some of my back history..

Ever since some of my first jobs I have been a multitool carrier, and I remember as a kid my father fixed EVERYTHING with his original Leatherman PST. 
I was gifted a SAK Huntsman when I was young, however I did not appreciate it then as the only real use I had for it was sawing twigs in the back yard. 
Later I was gifted a Gerber which I wore on my hip when working maintenance and served me very well.
I went to college and my EDC was a Leatherman Squirt with the Wire Stripper Head.  This thing was the bees knees in Electronics Lab classes as there was NEVER ENOUGH wire strippers to go around.  I carried that for a long time until I was out of college and decided that I needed the scissors more and switched to the Squirt with Scissors. 
I then Started looking for larger tools and have had several full sized leatherman's including the skeletool and charge.  All of which seemed too bulky for me as I rarely needed the full sized pliers. 
For a long LONG time I carried a Leatherman style cs or ps on my keychain along with a folding knife or skeletool in my pocket.

What I loved most about that combination was that I would have a larger blade for cutting boxes or general edc type of things, and then I would still have the robust scissors from the Style.  What I didnt realize though was just how much I used that flat phillips/nail file in the style.  Fast forward to today....

I have fallen in love with 4 layer SAKs.  I have the old huntsman, explorer, and a tinker deluxe.  The Tinker has taken over my pocket and nothing else seems to make its way in.  I find myself using the little pliers ALL the time, and I use the Scissors ALL the time.  The two blades are perfect for my needs.

My problem is that the phillips head on the deluxe (and to some extent) on the explorer are TOO BIG!  I deal with ALOT of my kids toys and their small battery doors.  Unless I have one of my leatherman squirts or styles on my keychain to use that tiny phillips head they are out of luck until I can get to my tools. 

What are your thoughts?  Is there a SAK in your experience that I can carry by itself that would weigh less than these combinations?

(Explorer or Deluxe Tinker) + (keychain sak or Leatherman Style CS/PS)

Style CS + Leatherman Skeletool

Requirement of the package would be a 0/1 compatible phillips, scissors, and pliers. 

Im struggling...  HELP!   :ahhh

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: Deluxe Tinker Phillips too big!?!
Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 02:56:19 PM
Check out the philips on 58mm SAKs like the Rambler, Manager, etc.  :tu:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Simyo

Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 03:05:43 PM
The older explorer with the grey mag glass had a finer Philips tip, so that might be an option as well.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 03:30:25 PM
If the can opener tip won't fit then carrying a rambler or manager is the way to go.  I like the manager.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 04:59:37 PM
I'm not adding anything new, but yeah, the Rambler.

The fine phillips on the Rambler/Manager is just the right size for small electronics like calculators and toys. Even better, the head is very slightly magnetized, so when the little screws come free, they don't disappear on you.

I have EDCed a Tinker forever now, and just decided to downsize my carry. The Rambler replaced it. I also carry a IDL-T10, the multitool with maybe the best set of pliers for a keychain size tool. But something like the Leatherman Squirt PS4 would also be a good alternative.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 10:14:18 PM

The fine phillips on the Rambler/Manager is just the right size for small electronics like calculators and toys. Even better, the head is very slightly magnetized, so when the little screws come free, they don't disappear on you.
The Rambler replaced it. I also carry a IDL-T10, the multitool with maybe the best set of pliers for a keychain size tool.
   :like:
I agree about the fine phillips for small electronics and I also have an IDL-T10 and it is a nice set of pliers for a keychain tool.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 11:22:46 PM
Wouldn't a Victorinox Tinker Deluxe in the pocket, and a Leatherman Micra on the keychain serve you well?

I mean, the Micra is essentially a letdown with benefits of scissors and some smaller screwdrivers (see the tip of the bottle opener?).

But as someone else mentioned, maybe an old Explorer...
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 11:26:32 PM by ThundahBeagle »

Offline Gable151

Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 11:48:57 PM
Great thoughts!  I did not know that the old explorer had a finer phillips.  I’ll have to track that down.

I do not own one of the smaller sacks like a manager. How effective are the scissors? 

I will als have to check out the ILT keychain tool.

My largest concern about a two tool setup is that I really like not carrying my keys around the house. I can toss the tinker in my shorts pocket and be perfectly happy.

Thank you for the replies!  I have some new directions to check out! 

:cheers:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 11:59:06 PM
The scissors on the little 58mm swiss army knives are extraordinarily good for their small size. A new pair will cut paracord clean in one snip. And being as small as they are, they're great for snipping nails, too.

They obviously suffer against thicker/tougher material, not from blade precision, but simply from lack of leverage on the little handles.

Offline Gable151

Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 03:36:45 AM
Ok.  I think I will have to add a 58mm to my collection and see if it lands in the daily carry. 

Love the scissors on the mid size saks, and on tools like the Leatherman Micra.  Although I like them for different reasons.  The Micra/Style scissors are stout and will manage heavy packaging, straps, and zip ties like a champ.  They suffer with fine things like fabric and sometimes even paper. 

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 04:08:20 AM
A nice set of needle files and fifteen minutes could sharpen the phillips tip to a finer point. Just take your time and check the fit on the most common screws you use. I file most of my #2 phillips on tools to a #1/#2 combo.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 16, 2017, 05:38:42 AM
Not to out and out disagree with Lynn, or anyone else per se, however...

I bought a Boy Scouts of America Classic SD a while back and personally found it unnecessarily thin. I mean the main blade is not full bellied in comparison to handle size - it's like a toy. And the scissors were not as good as the PS4, IMHO.

So much so, that I affixed it to my dog's hiking collar, for use only in extreme circumstance, like if I maybe slip down a ravine, am separated from my pack, my Leatherman rips off my belt, AND my Super Tinker falls out of my pocket. All of those things would need to happen during the same event, and I could then call to my dog, who would (hopefully come when he's called) arrive bearing the Classic SD. And maybe, MAYBE I could somehow use it to get me out of a bind.

Not a bad nail file, though.then again, the Micra has everything the Classic has, but each component is better and more robust.

us Offline ChrisEDC247

Reply #12 on: December 16, 2017, 10:20:30 AM
Gable, would a Cybertool M work possibly? It's got O/1 pozidrive with a very long shank. Vic lists this as for both Philips & PZ fasteners, but some extra caution is obviously recommended. PLUS it's got  torx bits, scissors, pliers, plus scales and even fits the mini screwdriver in corkscrew. And when the bits get worn out, just swap in some new ones. I think of it as a MEGA Tinker. I work in the AV industry and this thing "tinkers" like no other and gets used EVERYDAY on my job. Sadly it does not have a nail file so I'll keep a Classic ALOX on the keychain simply for nail care. All that said, I do like the magnetic tip on the 58mm philips/combo tool.
IMG_2353.PNG
* IMG_2353.PNG (Filesize: 81.64 KB)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 10:25:08 AM by ChrisEDC247 »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #13 on: December 16, 2017, 11:15:38 AM

I bought a Boy Scouts of America Classic SD a while back and personally found it unnecessarily thin. I mean the main blade is not full bellied in comparison to handle size - it's like a toy. And the scissors were not as good as the PS4, IMHO.

So much so, that I affixed it to my dog's hiking collar, for use only in extreme circumstance, like if I maybe slip down a ravine, am separated from my pack, my Leatherman rips off my belt, AND my Super Tinker falls out of my pocket. All of those things would need to happen during the same event, and I could then call to my dog, who would (hopefully come when he's called) arrive bearing the Classic SD. And maybe, MAYBE I could somehow use it to get me out of a bind.

Not a bad nail file, though.then again, the Micra has everything the Classic has, but each component is better and more robust.
We have to agree to disagree... :D
I keep a Rambler in my bag, as a companion for my favorite SAKs, which are bladeless. Usually it's the only blade I have, unless I'm going to play in the woods and go camping, even then, I don't often use the bigger blade.  :salute:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #14 on: December 16, 2017, 12:26:49 PM
I carry a Deluxe Tinker in a belt pouch all the time when I'm out and about. Great knife. At home, where I have easier access to my regular tool box, I just carry a Tinker in my pocket.

Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

Offline Gable151

Reply #15 on: December 16, 2017, 01:34:27 PM
Gable, would a Cybertool M work possibly?

I think that it would!  I know many of you already think that the Deluxe Tinker is too much for pocket carry, but I have no issues with it.  I carry it in work slacks and even flimsy shorts in the evenings.  Do you think the Cybertool would be that much worse?  Im a bit concerned on the jump in weight as well, probably more so than the thickness.  I am not a huge fan of belt carry as I am a bigger dude and the pouch will catch on everything.  Either that or assault my kidneys.... 

So much so, that I affixed it to my dog's hiking collar

Wow!  Your dog has an EDC!  Love it!  What else does he carry!?

A nice set of needle files and fifteen minutes could sharpen the phillips tip to a finer point. Just take your time and check the fit on the most common screws you use. I file most of my #2 phillips on tools to a #1/#2 combo.

Seriously?  That would work?  I think I would want to practice on something else first but a great idea.  Do you file down the "wings" of the phillips or just the inside of the corners of the X to make it sharper?

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #16 on: December 16, 2017, 02:23:40 PM
Quote from: Gable151

Seriously?  That would work?  I think I would want to practice on something else first but a great idea.  Do you file down the "wings" of the phillips or just the inside of the corners of the X to make it sharper?
Indeed it does! Sometimes I carry heavy duty MTs that have #2 only phillips drivers and need the driver to work on smaller screws as well.
I usually start inside the tip corners and finish with the wings. Once the shape is finalized, you can gently polish the filing marks with a piece of 320-400 grit sand paper. And yes, hone the skill a bit with a cheap old phillips screw driver first. I should have mentioned that. Good luck, and above all else, have fun with it. It may be your first foray into the dubious and interesting world if "modding".  :cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #17 on: December 16, 2017, 04:33:38 PM

I've had multiple Leatherman keychain tools with scissors (3, I think) and something like 7 or 8 58mm SAKs. The scissors on the leatherman are good, but the best small scissors I've tested have been on new 58mm SAKs. I need to make an important distinction about the 'new'. I did a scissors test thread and the Vic 58mm scissors did okay, but that was a 15 year old pair that had ridden in my hubby's pant pocket for years, with regular use.

I'm not knocking Leatherman keychain size tool foldout scissors, I own a squirt PS4, and would gladly carry it, but my testing on a variety of material convinces me SAKs are better. If I remember correctly, it's mostly due to the SAKs being better at a 'push cut', where you're not operating the blades, just pushing it on long running cuts through material like paper or cloth.

I'm not sure if there was something defective with your scissors on your SAK or what. Their QC is amazingly tight, so...  :shrug:

I do 100% agree with you that the blade on 58mm SAKs is anemic. I've never had one break on me, but I am always concerned it might. But as it's up to task for every cutting chore I've needed in the past forever, I'm cool with it.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: December 16, 2017, 05:02:18 PM

We have to agree to disagree... :D
I keep a Rambler in my bag, as a companion for my favorite SAKs, which are bladeless. Usually it's the only blade I have, unless I'm going to play in the woods and go camping, even then, I don't often use the bigger blade.  :salute:

In truth I've never handled a Rambler or a Manager. Just the Classic in that size range. Though I'm glad if it works for you. I feel, if I were going to travel that lightly, I'd have a Leatherman PS4 and maybe a Vic Camper. I don't own a PS4 as of this writing, just a Micra in that size, but I've handled a couple of PS4' s and was impressed with how substantial they are for their size.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: December 16, 2017, 05:10:11 PM
I carry a Deluxe Tinker in a belt pouch all the time when I'm out and about. Great knife. At home, where I have easier access to my regular tool box, I just carry a Tinker in my pocket.

Rich

I do own a Deluxe Tinker, gifted to me by a good friend / manager at work. Nice piece, but, having Leathermans I never thought much of the plyers. They are good, I just think something like a PS4 has better players and a good blade and small screwdrivers while taking up less real estate in my pocket. I still carry it sometimes, though. It scissors are only outdone by the Micra or bigger tools.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: December 16, 2017, 05:19:03 PM
QUOTE FROM: THUNDAHBEAGLE ON TODAY AT 05:38:42 AM

So much so, that I affixed it to my dog's hiking collar

Wow!  Your dog has an EDC!  Love it!  What else does he carry!?

My do does indeed EDC a Victorinox Classic.

If he is wearing his Kurgo collar, then he actually has a bottle opener incorporated into the leash attachment. It's flat "A" framed instead of a rolled "D" ring.

IMG_0686.JPG
* IMG_0686.JPG (Filesize: 302.64 KB)

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: December 16, 2017, 05:33:35 PM

I've had multiple Leatherman keychain tools with scissors (3, I think) and something like 7 or 8 58mm SAKs. The scissors on the leatherman are good, but the best small scissors I've tested have been on new 58mm SAKs. I need to make an important distinction about the 'new'. I did a scissors test thread and the Vic 58mm scissors did okay, but that was a 15 year old pair that had ridden in my hubby's pant pocket for years, with regular use.

I'm not knocking Leatherman keychain size tool foldout scissors, I own a squirt PS4, and would gladly carry it, but my testing on a variety of material convinces me SAKs are better. If I remember correctly, it's mostly due to the SAKs being better at a 'push cut', where you're not operating the blades, just pushing it on long running cuts through material like paper or cloth.

I'm not sure if there was something defective with your scissors on your SAK or what. Their QC is amazingly tight, so...  :shrug:

I do 100% agree with you that the blade on 58mm SAKs is anemic. I've never had one break on me, but I am always concerned it might. But as it's up to task for every cutting chore I've needed in the past forever, I'm cool with it.

Hi Lynn

I think the distinction between new and old goes without say. And all of the scissors on my 91mm Vics are great. Im excited whenever Leatherman puts a PST II/ Micra sized set of scissors on anything they make, as they are the only things that compare to the Vic 91mm.

The 58 mm scissors aren't even what bothers me about the Vic Classic. Yes they are small, but they are capable for their size, sort of like the LM Blast scissors. I agree with you on the "scissors push cut test." And Christmastime really puts that to the test with all the wrapping paper.

And the nail file with added little screwdriver tip, nice touch. If I'm not wrong, the original Classic didn't have that.

No...it's the main blade alone that has me scratching my head on the Classic.

us Offline ChrisEDC247

Reply #22 on: December 16, 2017, 07:20:01 PM

I think that it would!  I know many of you already think that the Deluxe Tinker is too much for pocket carry, but I have no issues with it.  I carry it in work slacks and even flimsy shorts in the evenings.  Do you think the Cybertool would be that much worse?  Im a bit concerned on the jump in weight as well, probably more so than the thickness.  I am not a huge fan of belt carry as I am a bigger dude and the pouch will catch on everything.  Either that or assault my kidneys.... 

Hmmmmm... see I belt carry it. And I'm a big guy too so I know the struggle. I use a Rainbow of California Medium knife sheath which is about the smallest and thinnest sheath around that actually provides some protection. It's not much thicker than the knife and hides way up on the belt line so you can't see it. (My shirt is pulled up so you can see the sheath) You could pocket hang it but it is a whole layer bigger and a doozy of a layer at that.

But no... :-\ it's not a very good pocket carry SAK. Some people might call it pocketable but it's better on the belt. Sorry.
IMG_2367.PNG
* IMG_2367.PNG (Filesize: 151.03 KB)

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #23 on: December 16, 2017, 07:23:18 PM
I don´t carry anything above 2 layers in a jeans pocket. But a vest pocket, or a jacket pocket, will do fine.

Offline Gable151

Reply #24 on: December 16, 2017, 07:54:43 PM

If he is wearing his Kurgo collar, then he actually has a bottle opener incorporated into the leash attachment. It's flat "A" framed instead of a rolled "D" ring.

Awesome setup!  Pretty sure my dog will be rocking something soon too..  Not as a backup like you, but just because its cool!  Good looking dog too!  Thanks for the pic.  I was hoping you would post one!   :cheers:

Hmmmmm... see I belt carry it. And I'm a big guy too so I know the struggle. I use a Rainbow of California Medium knife sheath which is about the smallest and thinnest sheath around that actually provides some protection. It's not much thicker than the knife and hides way up on the belt line so you can't see it. (My shirt is pulled up so you can see the sheath) You could pocket hang it but it is a whole layer bigger and a doozy of a layer at that.

But no... :-\ it's not a very good pocket carry SAK. Some people might call it pocketable but it's better on the belt. Sorry.

Sadly I believe that your right. Unfortunately we have not invented the "Instant dehydrated multi-tool..  Just add water!" yet.  Im thinking something like the instant martians Marvin Martian had that were tiny until you added water.   :rofl:

I would assume a Hercules is too much for a pocket as well?

us Offline ChrisEDC247

Reply #25 on: December 16, 2017, 08:38:27 PM

Awesome setup!  Pretty sure my dog will be rocking something soon too..  Not as a backup like you, but just because its cool!  Good looking dog too!  Thanks for the pic.  I was hoping you would post one!   :cheers:

Sadly I believe that your right. Unfortunately we have not invented the "Instant dehydrated multi-tool..  Just add water!" yet.  Im thinking something like the instant martians Marvin Martian had that were tiny until you added water.   :rofl:

I would assume a Hercules is too much for a pocket as well?

:rofl:

But how do you compress the water down to pocket size?!? I guess you could just EDC a moist sponge...

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: December 17, 2017, 06:47:33 AM
Report to moderator    Logged
Gable151

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2017, 07:54:43 PM »
QUOTE FROM: THUNDAHBEAGLE ON DECEMBER 16, 2017, 05:19:03 PM

Thanks Gable!

Scout is a great dog, and a hell of a Beagle. Frankly there is more "cool" factor to his BSA Vic Classic thhan backup factor. Someone is more likely to comment on it than it is likely to be needed as backup.

While I'm not a fan of Kurgo leashes, they make the absolute best harness that I personally have ever seen. Nesting metal connectors (like linesman harnesses) instead of plastic clips. Crash-Tested. Kurgo makes a nice collar (with bottle opener) but that does have plastic clips. My favorite collar is the K9 Explorer. It has a metal clasp, a D ring leash attachment and a separate retainer for the dog tags, so you don't accidentally lose the tags while unclipping the leash

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: December 17, 2017, 11:19:41 AM
I haven't seen this mentioned so far, so if you're okay with bigger SAK's as well, some of the 111 mm models have a precision type phillips driver as well. It's on the Outrider, the Hercules and the Workchamp, the latter two have both "normal" size and small in-line phillipses. Here's mine, a Hercules.

The Hercules and the Workchamp are pretty good all-round tools, fit to be carried alone as a pocket toolbox.

sds.jpg
* sds.jpg (Filesize: 85.18 KB)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 11:33:08 AM by Exeter »

Offline Gable151

Reply #28 on: December 17, 2017, 01:11:57 PM
I haven't seen this mentioned so far, so if you're okay with bigger SAK's as well, some of the 111 mm models have a precision type phillips driver as well. It's on the Outrider, the Hercules and the Workchamp, the latter two have both "normal" size and small in-line phillipses. Here's mine, a Hercules.

The Hercules and the Workchamp are pretty good all-round tools, fit to be carried alone as a pocket toolbox.

Exeter - Can you comfortably carry a 111mm tool in you pocket?  I have my eye on the hercules but have been afraid of it due to weight and size. 

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: December 17, 2017, 01:40:14 PM

Exeter - Can you comfortably carry a 111mm tool in you pocket?  I have my eye on the hercules but have been afraid of it due to weight and size.

Well, it depends on what kind of pants/pockets you have :) , but for me, with my regular jeans or chinos pocket carry is out of the question. These multi layer 111 mm models are far too bulky, they're much more of a sheath on the belt or backpack/fannypack carry tools. I carry mine in my messenger bag in a nylon velcro molle sheath. So yeah, your concern is pretty valid.

So to make it clear, I meant the "pocket toolbox" figuratively. :)

And let me add one more thing: IF you decide to go with the 111 mm SAK, just go all in and choose the Workchamp instead of the Hercules. The only difference is the file, adding just one narrow layer, making no real difference in weight and bulk. I regretted choosing the Hercules, as it just bugs the hell out of me that without the file that damn thing feels incomplete. :D 
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 01:59:13 PM by Exeter »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD