Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Deluxe Tinker Phillips too big!?!

Offline Gable151

Re: Deluxe Tinker Phillips too big!?!
Reply #30 on: December 17, 2017, 02:33:48 PM
Good advice! 

Offline Gable151

Reply #31 on: December 20, 2017, 09:40:10 PM
Gable, would a Cybertool M work possibly? It's got O/1 pozidrive with a very long shank. Vic lists this as for both Philips & PZ fasteners, but some extra caution is obviously recommended. PLUS it's got  torx bits, scissors, pliers, plus scales and even fits the mini screwdriver in corkscrew. And when the bits get worn out, just swap in some new ones. I think of it as a MEGA Tinker. I work in the AV industry and this thing "tinkers" like no other and gets used EVERYDAY on my job. Sadly it does not have a nail file so I'll keep a Classic ALOX on the keychain simply for nail care. All that said, I do like the magnetic tip on the 58mm philips/combo tool.

Have you ever had any trouble with the small pozidrive divers being used on small Phillips screws? 

Offline George S

Reply #32 on: December 21, 2017, 09:12:25 AM
One more vote here for a 58mm SAK.
I think the Manager gets overlooked sometimes as it doesn't have a great name! However... it is one of the greatest SAKs going. That #0 Philips screwdriver is very capable indeed and I wouldn't be without a (admittedly modded) Manager on my keyring these days.
Heck, they're not expensive, so I'd definitely just pick one up and see how it suits you.

us Offline ChrisEDC247

Reply #33 on: December 23, 2017, 08:06:00 AM
Gable, would a Cybertool M work possibly? It's got O/1 pozidrive with a very long shank. Vic lists this as for both Philips & PZ fasteners, but some extra caution is obviously recommended. PLUS it's got  torx bits, scissors, pliers, plus scales and even fits the mini screwdriver in corkscrew. And when the bits get worn out, just swap in some new ones. I think of it as a MEGA Tinker. I work in the AV industry and this thing "tinkers" like no other and gets used EVERYDAY on my job. Sadly it does not have a nail file so I'll keep a Classic ALOX on the keychain simply for nail care. All that said, I do like the magnetic tip on the 58mm philips/combo tool.

Have you ever had any trouble with the small pozidrive divers being used on small Phillips screws?

Honestly I've been in situations where the Cybertool PZ bits has not gripped screws tightly but then again sometimes the 58mm Philips doesn't work either. I tend to be overly cautious when dealing with small fasteners because it's common for them to be "out of spec". So I take it on a case by case basis and be extra careful by making sure the bit fits the screw tightly before turning it. My personal experience is that I like the reach and purchase the CT 34 gives me and I like the options of having the three Philips bits. Typically if one doesn't work, one of the others will work ( usually the PZ#1 bit). I can't say when I stopped carrying the Minichamp for work, when I deal with the majority of small screws I don't really need it unless it's something very specialized... and then I'm using a real screwdriver.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 08:35:26 AM by ChrisEDC247 »

Offline Gable151

Reply #34 on: December 28, 2017, 02:32:32 PM

Honestly I've been in situations where the Cybertool PZ bits has not gripped screws tightly but then again sometimes the 58mm Philips doesn't work either. I tend to be overly cautious when dealing with small fasteners because it's common for them to be "out of spec". So I take it on a case by case basis and be extra careful by making sure the bit fits the screw tightly before turning it. My personal experience is that I like the reach and purchase the CT 34 gives me and I like the options of having the three Philips bits. Typically if one doesn't work, one of the others will work ( usually the PZ#1 bit). I can't say when I stopped carrying the Minichamp for work, when I deal with the majority of small screws I don't really need it unless it's something very specialized... and then I'm using a real screwdriver.

ChrisEDC247 Thank you for your research in the cybertool thread!  (https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,50953.300.html) For those that were following this thread ChrisEDC247 did some great sleuthing and found that these are true Phillips bits.  THANK YOU!

I ordered a Blue Saphire Cybertool M/34.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 02:33:56 PM by Gable151 »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD