Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

For shame, for shame

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
For shame, for shame
on: December 16, 2017, 02:55:40 AM
So, about a month ago, I bought a Wave/Charge sheath for my Rebar. It took two weeks to get here. Problem one, but manageable. Apparently this company doing business on Amazon with the Onogo US is actually based in Jersey. Not New Jersey, but old Jersey, in the US.

I  noticed it was oversized. Not quite big enough for a 4.5" tool, but lots of wiggle room and a good quarter inch of extra space top to bottom. Not having seen one of these sheaths in the wild and in use, maybe that's the normal fit.

Then this morning, I am getting dressed, and there is huge stitching failure. On a sheath I've been using for less than a month. The elastic on one side has seperated from the leather for most of it's length. The thread is thin and stiff, probably not nylon and certainly not of a grade I'd normally expect to find in quality leather goods. I'm just glad it happened inside, not inside. THen my Rebar would be sacrificed to the gods of winter, rather than sitting on my desk looking sad.

I'm thinking it's probably counterfit.

Sadly, I no longer have the packaging. I've contacted the seller. I'll take my money back, but if they want it shipped back they can send me a label with postage paid on it- it will cost as much to mail it to the UK as I spent on it.

The offending item is here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002H49EY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
IMG_20171215_200759047 10p.jpg
* IMG_20171215_200759047 10p.jpg (Filesize: 40.77 KB)
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Re: For shame, for shame
Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 05:19:39 AM
Yeah, hard to see in that pic, but I'm not surprised. It may very well be genuine - can't tell from that pic.

Nothing holds a candle to the quality of the old leather PST sheath.

My original SURGE nylon sheath, I like it, but the belt loop seems very weak and is already stretching out. I've only had it since summer and don't even wear it once a week. I've added a MagLite Solitaire to one of the side elastic pockets, and am just counting the days before it starts looking like the elastic on the sun visor of any 1990's era car...

And don't get me started on those dainty little spaghetti straps that are supposed to pass as horizontal carry loops.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 02:38:38 PM

Nothing holds a candle to the quality of the old leather PST sheath.

Agreed.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 04:37:16 PM
 :facepalm: Some of their newer sheaths are definitely not on par with the old school sheaths and I wished that type of sheath was still in use and modified for some of the newer tools :-\ I destroyed one of the LM molle sheaths in a fairly short amount of time but another one that was made of better quality is still going strong :salute: Sorry that it didn't last you :oops:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 05:02:00 PM
I'm also sorry that you had that problem with your sheath,   :-[
 and I'll rephrase all what others have been said.
Nothing gets close to the old SOG and Leatherman leather sheaths. Track one down if you can, I wholeheartedly recommend them 
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 06:34:38 PM
I'm also sorry that you had that problem with your sheath,   :-[
 and I'll rephrase all what others have been said.
Nothing gets close to the old SOG and Leatherman leather sheaths. Track one down if you can, I wholeheartedly recommend them

This ^

I use one of these two for my Rebar. One is an older Blast/Fuse sheath before they switched to bonded leather and the other one is a old PST sheath that I stretched out to fit the Rebar, fits like a glove.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%