Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Importance of The Paper Clip

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Importance of The Paper Clip
on: December 16, 2017, 04:02:56 AM
Who else regularly carries at least one paper clip on them? If so what have you used them for?
I have personally used them as:
*Swiss Army knife cleaner to pick in those hard to reach spots
*General hooky thing
*Zipper replacement
*Lock picks
*Scraper
*Makeshift pocket clip for SAK
*Knot untying device.
*Fingernail Cleaner
* Made some salad tongs out of two forks and a paper clip

I think the paper clip is something that gets laughed at when you tell people you carry one. But it can really save your butt when you need a small versatile piece of metal wire you can form into a number of tools. That is why the paper clip has my respect.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 04:08:35 AM by _MattGyver_ »
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Re: Importance of The Paper Clip
Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 04:15:22 AM
Who else regularly carries at least one paper clip on them? If so what have you used them for?
I have personally used them as:
*Swiss Army knife cleaner to pick in those hard to reach spots
*General hooky thing
*Zipper replacement
*Lock picks
*Scraper
*Makeshift pocket clip for SAK
*Knot untying device.
*Fingernail Cleaner
* Made some salad tongs out of two forks and a paper clip

I think the paper clip is something that gets laughed at when you tell people you carry one. But it can really save your butt when you need a small versatile piece of metal wire you can form into a number of tools. That is why the paper clip has my respect.

+1  :like:
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 05:00:46 AM
Used to carry one all the time, wrapped around my key ring. Used to use them to hit the manual release for CD/DVD/RW  decks in computers when we had them on the shop bench with the power supplies disconnected.

Now, not so much. They would always find a way to unwrap from my key ring, make a hole in the pocket. I suppose one could wrap it around the keyring, and then wrap a little electrical tape around the paper clip... Too much hassle now that I don't use them regularly.

us Offline Captain Hook

Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 05:12:42 AM
Used to carry one all the time, wrapped around my key ring. Used to use them to hit the manual release for CD/DVD/RW  decks in computers when we had them on the shop bench with the power supplies disconnected.

Now, not so much. They would always find a way to unwrap from my key ring, make a hole in the pocket. I suppose one could wrap it around the keyring, and then wrap a little electrical tape around the paper clip... Too much hassle now that I don't use them regularly.
I carry two inside a a matchbox that also has a a rubber band wrapped around it. The matchbox also accommodates some safety pins and two band-aids. My fire source doubles as storage!   :D
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 05:13:59 AM by _MattGyver_ »
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 11:39:59 PM
I keep a number of them in my work truck.  They get used for meter lead extensions,  jumpers, cotter pins, hooks, magnifing glass (I might tell how that works, if no one else dose first), cleaning picks and I can't realy remember all the other uses.  :facepalm: Just to many of them.
I guess the best is simply as a PAPER CLIP  :pok: :pok:
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 12:50:57 AM
I carry a couple with my sewing kit.

One of the best fairly heavy-duty wire readily available. I carry mini pliers, the IDL-T10, most specifically for shaping the paper clip in useful ways.

I've used the paper clip to make a number of things over the years.

But of all the things I've used them for... get this... one time, I used them to clip papers together. :D

us Offline Captain Hook

Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 05:47:18 AM
But of all the things I've used them for... get this... one time, I used them to clip papers together. :D
Whoa you mean that's what they're intended for!?!?! My life is a lie! :ahhh
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 06:20:06 AM
Big paper clip fan. I've have good luck using them to pick locks, though they aren't ideal.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 09:21:56 AM
Toothpick and ear wax remover  :whistle:
 :facepalm:

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 03:15:42 PM
I did some lockpicking myself. Never had any luck with any improvised tools. When I see some US people on youtube they make it seem so easy. But tools they use wouldn't fit in any lock in my country. And when they talk about advanced security features such as mushroom / spool pins... I had two of those in the cheapest door lock I could find! I always wondered was it me, or is there indeed such a difference in locks between Europe and US? Well I never bothered to investigate this stuff any further, so if there are any experienced lockpickers around do tell me.  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 04:15:58 PM
I did some lockpicking myself. Never had any luck with any improvised tools. When I see some US people on youtube they make it seem so easy. But tools they use wouldn't fit in any lock in my country. And when they talk about advanced security features such as mushroom / spool pins... I had two of those in the cheapest door lock I could find! I always wondered was it me, or is there indeed such a difference in locks between Europe and US? Well I never bothered to investigate this stuff any further, so if there are any experienced lockpickers around do tell me.  :D
Its tolerance... locks in the US are indeed of lower quality (that does not mean you cannot get decent locks there, just that there are many low quality locks around).

I played with the cheapest locks available here: padlocks. Never could get a shiv in, when using a real padlock (as opposed to those locks you would find on a diary and such), then bought one in the US... voila shiv was working. The story repeated itself with lock-picks... What works though is hammer and chisel :D
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 04:47:01 PM
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

Offline Gable151

Reply #12 on: December 18, 2017, 04:59:40 PM
I keep a number of them fastened to the MOLLE webbing on the back side of my Maxpedition EDC toolkit that rides in my backpack.  Typical use for me is makeshift fasteners, or cubicle wall hangers. :)

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: December 18, 2017, 05:48:40 PM
Tolerances would definitely explain the difference. The downside of the paper clip is that it limits how much tension you can apply to the cylinder and still be able to work the pins since the paper clip yields easily. With a paper clip getting the magic balance of tension is crucial. I suck at it but given enough time and patience have been able to open most cheapier locks. I have never tried a higher end one or one in Europe.

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: December 18, 2017, 08:39:55 PM
Its tolerance... locks in the US are indeed of lower quality (that does not mean you cannot get decent locks there, just that there are many low quality locks around).

I played with the cheapest locks available here: padlocks. Never could get a shiv in, when using a real padlock (as opposed to those locks you would find on a diary and such), then bought one in the US... voila shiv was working. The story repeated itself with lock-picks... What works though is hammer and chisel :D

I envy the US. It's damn hard to learn anything if difficulty is set to nightmare mode from the beginning.  >:(
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD