Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What a night.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
What a night.
on: December 16, 2017, 01:25:14 PM
Got a phone call from the neighbour at around 3:30 am. She had heard a noise, went to investigate and saw a guy run out of my driveway to meet a female a little past her house across the street. Both of them ran away quickly. I went out to investigate and didn't notice anything off at first. I followed the shoe tracks and noticed it went right to my vehicle. True enough, I noticed the little smurfer knocked out my back window. Nothing was taken as my neighbour startled them. I called 911 and they told me that the police rarely investigates such things. I told them it just happened and there are footprints in the snow. They sent a police car. They arrived quickly but took their bloody time taking statements from me and the neighbour. Eventually they decided to try and find them. :facepalm:

I called my insurance company and was on hold for over an hour...thank you speaker phone! Now I am waiting a phone call from the actual insurance company to see what happens next. So much for my weekend plans.  :rant:

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: What a night.
Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 02:07:04 PM
Sorry for your troubles.

I've had my vehicle broken into on a few occasions. It's always aggravating and invasive. Not a pleasant way to begin the holidays. While it seems unlikely the police will accomplish much, the Universe has a way of handing out justice.

Let this event slip past you as you navigate the river of life. If it had been a fallen tree branch during a storm that smashed your window, it wouldn't seem so personal. These scumbags are just the detritus of humanity blown like that tree branch into your window. You'll get a new window, but they'll still be scumbags.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 02:21:25 PM
Sorry for your troubles.

I've had my vehicle broken into on a few occasions. It's always aggravating and invasive. Not a pleasant way to begin the holidays. While it seems unlikely the police will accomplish much, the Universe has a way of handing out justice.

Let this event slip past you as you navigate the river of life. If it had been a fallen tree branch during a storm that smashed your window, it wouldn't seem so personal. These scumbags are just the detritus of humanity blown like that tree branch into your window. You'll get a new window, but they'll still be scumbags.

well said  :salute: and sorry Dan,there get there comeupance one day when kama catches up on them  :tu:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 03:00:22 PM
Got stand-by duty this week and got home around noon from an intervention where a burglar entered the house and knocked a motion detector down.

The owner's dad arrived on the scene but the burglar turned off all fuses so the lights didn't work. (Alarm system has it's own back-up though)
The man turned on his phone's light and as soon as he raised the light, the burglar ran past him! He was still inside!

The man chased the burglar but fell over the coffee table.
He got up and chased the burglar outside but fell again in the yard (65 yo man) the burglar jumped the fence and ran off.

Window's glass was broken open piece by piece (5min job) and the burglar was inside for at least 20min!!

Nothing was stolen

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 04:11:01 PM
I remember an incident when a teenager from the US got in trouble abroad.  The punishment was caning.   I like that punishment.   

Sorry to hear a couple of scumbags did this to you.  Its pretty awesome you have such a terrific neighbor. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 04:25:58 PM
I remember an incident when a teenager from the US got in trouble abroad.  The punishment was caning.   I like that punishment.   

Sorry to hear a couple of scumbags did this to you.  Its pretty awesome you have such a terrific neighbor.
I recall that incident as well.  It was a minor infraction by USA standards, BUT, never heard another such disrespectful act by a US teenager again.  In Middle-east they likely would have severed a hand from arm🤪

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 04:33:19 PM
It’s always a terrible experience to get your vehicle or house broken into but as others have said take it in stride and karma will get the scumbags soon enough I’m sure. I have had my car and house broken into as well as a home invasion where I was held at gun point for 10 minutes while they threatened my life enough that I opened my safe and let them clean it out. Looking back I probably should of opened it sooner for my own safety. I found out one of the guys who was involved in my home invasion tried to rob another guy a week later and was stabbed to death. I don’t wish death upon anyone but these criminals will get what’s coming to them eventually. Keep your head up Chako.
I'm the milk man!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #7 on: December 16, 2017, 04:33:49 PM
Dan, didn't you have a robbery as well a few years ago ?
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #8 on: December 16, 2017, 04:43:17 PM
I also like to believe that Karma or life returns back what is deserved to everybody. Hopefully so these folks will be run over by a car in the dark running away from the last one they've attempted to rob  :salute:

Christmas and holidays are always high risk times for robberies and criminal acts, so special alert and care must be taken.
Sorry to hear that and good luck in finding them!
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 08:22:38 PM
Sorry to hear it Chako :facepalm: It always feels bad to have your privacy invaded but at least it was only a broken window and hopefully insurance covers all of that :cheers: It is an agravation for sure though and I hate having to deal with things like this :cry:

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 08:34:09 PM
I also like to believe that Karma or life returns back what is deserved to everybody. Hopefully so these folks will be run over by a car in the dark running away from the last one they've attempted to rob  :salute:

Christmas and holidays are always high risk times for robberies and criminal acts, so special alert and care must be taken.
Sorry to hear that and good luck in finding them!

True. Once I was celebrating Christmas Eve with friends, when I got home I noticed someone had tried to break in. There was damage to the door and the rubbet, probably he/they used a crowbar. I could not open the door as the lock was damaged too and I had to break my own window to get in.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 08:35:36 PM by Ronald Schröder »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #11 on: December 16, 2017, 08:40:03 PM
Sorry about that Chako.  :-\
I hope that insurance covers the cost, but I'm sorry that you've had this intrusion into your privacy and time.  :cry:
Hopefully those smurfers pabloers will get what's coming to them, in equal retribution.  :rant:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Online Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #12 on: December 16, 2017, 09:17:11 PM
I hate to say this, but when a teacher's home or car is burgled or vandalized the perpetrator often turns out to be a current or former student.  If they fled on foot and not in a vehicle it certainly points to someone from the area.   I hope your neighbor was able to provide a good description.   >:(

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: December 16, 2017, 09:26:00 PM
Really sorry to hear it Dan. :( 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: December 16, 2017, 10:54:32 PM
Sorry for your troubles  :(

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: December 16, 2017, 11:34:29 PM
Oh Smurf! I forgot!

I feel for you man!
Never fun when someone else can't keep their hands from your property.

Hope things get sorted out soon :salute:

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #16 on: December 17, 2017, 12:30:13 AM
Sorry man, that sucks.

There are few things I despise more than a thief. I have more respect for an honest, straight forward killer. Even a con man I can respect under the right conditions. But these days, most thieves are looking for drug money. I'm not enough of a smurf to gloat that addicts have a built in torture chamber, but the scales will balance for them.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: December 17, 2017, 01:30:20 AM
I have a 500 deductible. The good news is the hatch window will cost 165 dollars. Installation will cost 150. Add the price for the adhesive and taxes etc...it will cost me under 500. Sigh.

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #18 on: December 17, 2017, 04:36:22 AM
Would that be covered under comprehensive coverage since the car was not moving? Usually $0 deductible here in U.S.
Or, if in driveway it may be covered by home owners coverage.

Either way, it is a pain to get fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline TexanKnives224

Reply #19 on: December 17, 2017, 07:30:32 AM
that's horrible I'll keep you in my prayers, you don't deserve this treatment. :facepalm: :rant: These people need a lesson in decency. However, the Texan in me says they need a swift kick to the smurf berries, the jaw, the neck and so on.   
I love knives and edc

ca Offline Marc_in_NS

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: December 17, 2017, 12:34:42 PM
Got a phone call from the neighbour at around 3:30 am. She had heard a noise, went to investigate and saw a guy run out of my driveway to meet a female a little past her house across the street. Both of them ran away quickly. I went out to investigate and didn't notice anything off at first. I followed the shoe tracks and noticed it went right to my vehicle. True enough, I noticed the little smurfer knocked out my back window. Nothing was taken as my neighbour startled them. I called 911 and they told me that the police rarely investigates such things. I told them it just happened and there are footprints in the snow. They sent a police car. They arrived quickly but took their bloody time taking statements from me and the neighbour. Eventually they decided to try and find them. :facepalm:

I called my insurance company and was on hold for over an hour...thank you speaker phone! Now I am waiting a phone call from the actual insurance company to see what happens next. So much for my weekend plans.  :rant:

Chako, I purchased a neat dashcam last year. Two of them actually, one for each vehicle. They have front and rear camera, night vision and this feature called “parked”. That feature detects motion (adjustable) up to 30 ft. When ever motion is detected the camera fires up and records video and audio for a predetermined length of time and when hooked up to your wifi...will store the video to the cloud....any cloud.

The higher than a kite little smurfers may not notice the camera and break-in anyway even steal the camera...but I’ll have his/her face all over the internet in seconds including the Halifax PD website. Peace of mind
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 12:36:43 PM by Marc_in_NS »

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #21 on: December 17, 2017, 02:54:22 PM
Best case scenario is that the insurance company will tell you they will replace the window, but as you probably have a $500 or $1000 deductible, they won't pay a thing since the window will cost less than that to repair.

Worst case scenario is the same as above, except that they also raise your rates because you made a claim, even if you don't actually end up getting them to pay anything.   :facepalm:

And yet, it is illegal to also track the smurfs down and beat them to a bloody pulp for this.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: December 18, 2017, 02:29:53 AM
Yes. I won't go through my insurance. No point.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44