Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Dungeons and Dragons v.5

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Re: Dungeons and Dragons v.5
Reply #30 on: February 06, 2015, 01:18:21 PM
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #31 on: February 06, 2015, 01:28:52 PM

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #32 on: February 06, 2015, 06:30:22 PM
Lynn need a new job?

http://io9.com/rpg-company-roll20-is-hiring-a-professional-dungeon-mas-1684077694

Holy SMURF!

Someone wrote my perfect job description. I imagine this is going to be like trying to get a job as a master builder at Lego, though.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #33 on: February 06, 2015, 07:40:14 PM
Lynn need a new job?

http://io9.com/rpg-company-roll20-is-hiring-a-professional-dungeon-mas-1684077694

Holy SMURF!

Someone wrote my perfect job description. I imagine this is going to be like trying to get a job as a master builder at Lego, though.
A wise person once told me: You already have the no, so it can't hurt to try for a yes...
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #34 on: February 10, 2018, 01:56:35 AM
I feel like bumping this, speaking as someone trying to break into D&D 5e with the starter set (and tabletop RPGs in general).  :)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #35 on: February 10, 2018, 02:03:51 AM
They have an after school program down at the high school that the Mrs wants the little guy to join next year when he starts high school. Idk if it’s more for him of for her cause she was all into that stuff..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: February 10, 2018, 02:15:07 AM
Well I guess see if he likes it or not.  :)

All hail the hook!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #37 on: February 10, 2018, 02:51:14 AM
In due time..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: February 10, 2018, 08:48:15 AM
Wow.

Thanks Lynn. I started playing back in '80, before red box even came out. We were the geeks, the nerds, the outcasts, and never spoke much of it to anyone beyond our group. Somehow, the new kid in school could be sized up pretty quickly, and those in D&D found each other fast.

I'm in IT, a natural place for DnD folks to land. Some younger people at work talk about this stuff all the time, and while I am their senior at work and therefore try to encourage more work-worthy topics of conversation, I do recall some fun and imaginative times playing this, and another game Star Frontiers.

These were also the days of Jaws, E.T., Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and the original cast Star Trek movies, Excalibur (with Patrick Stewart as Leondegrance), Arnie as Conan, Back to the Future...a great time for a kid and teen to get lost in fantasy worlds.

We also had a term for all of the more complicated tables...we called them "pick your nose" tables, because, after all, even picking your own nose, there was some possibility of failure or even bloodletting injury.

In those days I sang, I was something of a good pencil artist, and played games like this. And I hiked, and helped my father fix his car a lot, too. I guess, after a certain age, I got too busy doing the latter things as opposed to the former. I would say it was right after graduating that I never touched it again.

There were girls, I was shooting more, started taking martial arts in Chinatown (since '86), fixing my cars, working and more working. Meeting my wife and moving on. All that just moved me away from this.

I feel I have strayed from the artistic and imaginative lad I once was and sometimes wish I could be again.

Thanks for the trip, Lynn.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 08:53:09 AM by ThundahBeagle »

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #39 on: February 10, 2018, 09:11:11 AM
I cast 'resurrect old thread'. LOL

Awesome to see this back. I've been running a not-terribly serious (imagine Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy' as a D&D game) campaign in 5e, and it's working fine.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: February 10, 2018, 09:48:28 AM
Some musings:

While not required, miniatures, scenery, etc might make the game more fun for those (read: my siblings) who are into them (the miniatures).

Does anyone ever use maps of real places in their games? Sounds like it could be interesting. Town maps, maps of some interesting place, etc

Links I want to remember:
diy $1 dice tray
extra tools for the new DM
ultra cheap diy terrain
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 09:49:39 AM by Pablo O'Brien »

All hail the hook!

england Offline Kev D

Reply #41 on: February 10, 2018, 12:30:02 PM
I've still got my AD&D 2nd Edition stuff on a shelf.  Along side it is MERP (middle earth), Star Wars RPG (uses only 6 sided dice) and RIFTS.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #42 on: February 10, 2018, 12:53:22 PM
Check this out, folks:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com

You got board games, video games and RPG sections. You might even find a players group near you.

:salute:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #43 on: February 10, 2018, 12:55:05 PM
Got/play(ed) D&D, AD&D, Cyberpunk, Vampire, Warhammer 40k...

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #44 on: February 10, 2018, 08:13:39 PM
Used to play D&D, AD&D, Warhammer (fantasy and 40k), Runequest, Cyberspace, Cyberpunk, Car Wars, Dark Future, Rifts, TMNT, Ghostbusters, Millennium’s End, GURPS. Anything we could get our hands on really.

Not touched any of them for 20 years, but have recently got into the Warhammer 40k novels. I want to get the kids into board games when they’re a bit older too.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #45 on: February 10, 2018, 08:40:38 PM
Used to play Runequest and Traveller, car wars, judge Dredd, and some kind of American football game but with orcs. Can't remember the name.  Anyone?
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #46 on: February 10, 2018, 09:09:43 PM
Blood Bowl!  Was ace.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #47 on: February 10, 2018, 11:22:01 PM
I"ve tried AD&D5 at the last two years' conventions I've been two (Carnage, if anyone cares) and I'm solidly MEH. It is certainly simplified. It felt like a pen and paper of video game mechanics more than anything. Since I feel about MMORPGs about the same way I do Pakistani "surgical stainless" blades and steel cased Cold War surplus commie ammunition sold by the pound is sandwich bags, that isn't an endorsement. Over all, it feel like they are trying to go for a less mature audience, and maybe should take the A off the front of the acronym. It isn't bad, I've played much, much, much worse.

It could be bad GMing. It could be I've been doing this for 30 years and play a lot of GURPS (3rd, have lots of books, not rebuying for 4th) and Pathfinder and I'm a stubborn old foggie. Lets see... RuneQuest, AD&D (2, 3, 3.5, 4 which is ugh), d6 StarWars (first serious GMing), World of Darkness (and it's extra emo follow on), five generations of Shadowrun, Earthdawn, Cyberpunk 2020, I'm not sure how many version of Call of Cthulu (current one kinda rocks but has limits if you use it for other things), Mechwarrior (completely incompatible with Battletech despite what the books said which sucked), TopSecret, FUDGE, FATE (particuarly Spirit of the Century) and various others in one and two session trials and at cons. I really like the Ragnarok mechanism, but I never got a chance to play it outside of conventions. I tried Thunder, that seemed to have promise (and maybe why I was underwhelmed by ADD5)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 11:45:00 PM by ironraven »
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #48 on: February 10, 2018, 11:51:35 PM
Pablo, the best thing you can invest in as a new GM, in my opinion, is a laminated 1" grid. About foot by 3 foot or larger, and a set of dry erase markers.

Insta-maps.

When i was younger, I also used a paper grid under a piece of plexiglass, and grease pencils. But that's messier.

You can use ANYTHING for miniatures. Dice, chess board sets, etc.

For miniatures, one of my friends and I collected the plastic 3.x D&D miniatures. I also found heroclix minis really useful if you're doing modern, or just need minis for background characters.

There's also a company called 'Heroforge' that does custom 3d printed minis, if you want to get a VERY specific miniature. For your PCs for instance.
https://www.heroforge.com/

I've never personally used them, but I've heard good things.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 11:56:38 PM by Lynn LeFey »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD