Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How come Leatherman doesn't?

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
How come Leatherman doesn't?
on: December 17, 2017, 07:01:32 AM
Just a thought, and not a dig against them or anything, but I was just going through my gear and Christmas shopping online, and it struck me...Victorinox offers a lot of different "America"-themed (meaning U.S.)  versions of their products. Boy Scouts of America, Wounded Warrior Project, yellow Gadsden Flag, variations of the US flag, National Parks. And I like all of those, and realize Vic does all sorts of international stuff and company logos, but

How come Leatherman doesn't do that? It would seem fitting if a US company offered these things as well. I do understand that the cellidor lends itself more easily to that type of thing, but it would be cool to have the Gadsdon Flag etched (no color) into a PST or Rebar handle or something. And maybe they could do colors in the Juice line or something...

Just a random thought.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: How come Leatherman doesn't?
Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 07:11:20 AM
They do some micra this way.

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 07:23:42 AM
Just a thought, and not a dig against them or anything, but I was just going through my gear and Christmas shopping online, and it struck me...Victorinox offers a lot of different "America"-themed (meaning U.S.)  versions of their products. Boy Scouts of America, Wounded Warrior Project, yellow Gadsden Flag, variations of the US flag, National Parks. And I like all of those, and realize Vic does all sorts of international stuff and company logos, but

How come Leatherman doesn't do that? It would seem fitting if a US company offered these things as well. I do understand that the cellidor lends itself more easily to that type of thing, but it would be cool to have the Gadsdon Flag etched (no color) into a PST or Rebar handle or something. And maybe they could do colors in the Juice line or something...

Just a random thought.
Specifically the "Gadsden" flag has political affiliation. And Leatherman is from Portland Oregon, a much more progressive/liberal area. Not their cup of tea, get it?  :facepalm:

Not sure why not many flag designs (maybe because they usually come across gawdy or tacky?) But they do have company made and oraginization branded and special editions out there, like Victorinox. Chako has the nicest collection of those  I've seen pictures of  :tu:
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 09:13:32 AM
IMHO. A lot of companies with products NOT made in the U.S.A use more gimmicky color schemes and patriotic(and/or politically motivated) stuff to distract from the fact the product is not made in the U.S.A. Most SAKs with that stuff on them are custom order (like our soon to come MTO Pioneers).
Around where I live, U.S.A flag/confederate flag/gadsden flag/etc painted/etched/decorated knives flood the market. 99%+ are made in China/India/Pakistan/Etc. It really cheapens the knives and tools after you see 1000+ of the cheap crap with pandered motifs.

If you really want a special personal etching on a tool, just take it to your local engraving shop. They'll gladly engrave it for a reasonable price most of the time. :tu:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 09:34:37 AM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 01:38:41 AM

Just a random thought.
Specifically the "Gadsden" flag has political affiliation. And Leatherman is from Portland Oregon, a much more progressive/liberal area. Not their cup of tea, get it?  :facepalm:

Not sure why not many flag designs (maybe because they usually come across gawdy or tacky?) But they do have company made and oraginization branded and special editions out there, like Victorinox. Chako has the nicest collection of those  I've seen pictures of  :tu:

I'm sure Gadsden Flag isn't the cup of tea of most folks in Switzerland, either, but they make one.

I do agree that most flag designs can be garrish, though. Myself I prefer more subtle touches, like finding Super Tinkers that still have the can key in the Phillips head, and non dated PST' s and such.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 01:42:02 AM
IMHO. A lot of companies with products NOT made in the U.S.A use more gimmicky color schemes and patriotic(and/or politically motivated) stuff to distract from the fact the product is not made in the U.S.A. Most SAKs with that stuff on them are custom order (like our soon to come MTO Pioneers).
Around where I live, U.S.A flag/confederate flag/gadsden flag/etc painted/etched/decorated knives flood the market. 99%+ are made in China/India/Pakistan/Etc. It really cheapens the knives and tools after you see 1000+ of the cheap crap with pandered motifs.

If you really want a special personal etching on a tool, just take it to your local engraving shop. They'll gladly engrave it for a reasonable price most of the time. :tu:

Gerleather, agreed on all points

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 02:11:28 AM

:tu:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 08:10:05 AM

:tu:
I don’t normally agree with other people, but when I do, it is because I think you are correct.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 08:49:48 AM

And to expand on that... with SAKs you simply have to print on the plastic scales, which is fairly simple. Whereas LM would have to paint the frame and even with the single colors we can see that is not such an easy task, especially if you want it too look good even after use.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

de Offline leatherman-shop.de

Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 09:11:18 AM

well said  :tu: :)
multitools for the one leaving nothing undone

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 01:33:31 PM
 :multi:

I know a guy who does custom laser engraving locally. I may take one of my PSTs over to him and see what kind of money we'd be looking at overall for an engraved design. He even does acid etching...For an extra fee. :cheers:

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 09:40:43 AM
:multi:

I know a guy who does custom laser engraving locally. I may take one of my PSTs over to him and see what kind of money we'd be looking at overall for an engraved design. He even does acid etching...For an extra fee. :cheers:

Keep us posted as to the customization. Can't seem to find many custom engravers here

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 03:18:27 PM
Will do Thundah!  :tu:

us Offline gregpost

Reply #13 on: December 19, 2017, 07:33:37 PM
I've always had the theory that Leatherman finds the best advertisement of their products to be the product itself.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%