Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman 2018 Rumors?

JPS_ · 86 · 5342

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Re: Leatherman 2018 Rumors?
Reply #30 on: December 19, 2017, 03:36:07 PM
Signal 2A: 4 Large outside tools, 5 small tools + hammer + 2 plastic implements (bit holders would be great)

That's the first thing I thought when I held the Signal for the first time. Be it the Wave set-up, or two blades + scissors + saw, or blade + scissors +saw + file, it would be sweet. Just adding two long tools would not make it too thick, and considering the negatives people list about the Signal, having four long tools would have helped it sell more.

Signal 2B: 4 Large outside tools, 10 small tools + 2 plastic implements (bit holders would be great)

Another thought would indeed be pretty much a Wave with the plastic bits. The sharpener would be very easy to add, although it is not needed imo. If we also drop the whistle, the ferro rod could also be attached in the same manner as the sharpener.

The Wave is the problem, isn't it? It's just too good. All these bells and whistles, and some people still prefer the Wave over the Signal, even for the purpose the Signal was specifically designed to cater. Whenever a new full-size multitool is released, we can't help compare it to the Wave. If it is not just as good, then why not just go with a Wave?

In the Signal's case, dropping two long tools and making the blade combo edged had a lot to do with the mixed reviews it received.
I sincerely hope we see a new Signal Plus, with 4 long tools. Or maybe a Signal with a 154CM plain edge. And a sharpened awl.
Also, since the plastic bits are putting off lots of people, why not have them in aluminum instead?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 03:39:58 PM by ReamerPunch »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #31 on: December 19, 2017, 03:44:53 PM
Signal 2B: 4 Large outside tools, 10 small tools + 2 plastic implements (bit holders would be great)

Another thought would indeed be pretty much a Wave with the plastic bits.{...}
No, it has 4 small tools more, (check out where the awl on the Signal is!!!). And because they are in the same slot as the large tools, they can be rather thick.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #32 on: December 19, 2017, 03:53:30 PM

No, it has 4 small tools more, (check out where the awl on the Signal is!!!). And because they are in the same slot as the large tools, they can be rather thick.

10 small tools is pushing it I think. As it is, the default Signal has three small tools. awl, can opener, and the bit holder which is thick so let's say it takes two spaces. We could have four tools in the opposite handle. Maybe.The Wave would have three: small bit holder, large flathead, scissors.

Maybe both blades could have a tool resting in their gap, like the awl does now, but what other short implements could do that with the saw, file, or scissors?

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: December 19, 2017, 04:23:36 PM

10 small tools is pushing it I think. As it is, the default Signal has three small tools. awl, can opener, and the bit holder which is thick so let's say it takes two spaces. We could have four tools in the opposite handle. Maybe.The Wave would have three: small bit holder, large flathead, scissors.

Maybe both blades could have a tool resting in their gap, like the awl does now, but what other short implements could do that with the saw, file, or scissors?
A Phillips, flat drivers would work. With the Signal, the awl is in the blade layer, so there would certainly be enough space in the saw/file layer... quite frankly you could probably design a small bit holder (for the eye-glass bit) to fit there as well or just a long needle.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 04:25:55 PM by Etherealicer »

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #34 on: December 19, 2017, 05:10:09 PM
A Phillips, flat drivers would work. With the Signal, the awl is in the blade layer, so there would certainly be enough space in the saw/file layer... quite frankly you could probably design a small bit holder (for the eye-glass bit) to fit there as well or just a long needle.

If we had two blades, one could have the awl, like the default Signal does, and the other could have something else. It would be a serrated blade, so it would be chisel-ground anyway. A flathead could go there.

In the Signal now, the awl sits next to the blade, in the gap its grind leaves. The saw and file would not allow other tools to rest next to them like that.
If we're talking just having implements opposite the saw and file, like the OHT, that would not go well. I'd rather have a longer saw that occupies the whole length of the handle.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: December 19, 2017, 05:31:25 PM

If we had two blades, one could have the awl, like the default Signal does, and the other could have something else. It would be a serrated blade, so it would be chisel-ground anyway. A flathead could go there.

In the Signal now, the awl sits next to the blade, in the gap its grind leaves. The saw and file would not allow other tools to rest next to them like that.
If we're talking just having implements opposite the saw and file, like the OHT, that would not go well. I'd rather have a longer saw that occupies the whole length of the handle.
Maybe you are right (meaning one would have to put both blades on the non-hammer arm). However, my quick mock up (moving the saw to the blade-layer) shows there is quite a bit of room, depending on where you stop the saw.

You could for example have a thin hand drill there... or simply a needle.
signal.jpg
* signal.jpg (Filesize: 109.97 KB)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 05:33:18 PM by Etherealicer »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: December 19, 2017, 05:34:55 PM

Maybe you are right (meaning one would have to put both blades on the non-hammer arm). However, my quick mock up (moving the saw to the blade-layer) shows there is quite a bit of room, depending on where you stop the saw.

Another idea would be a thin round file... you could have it several cm long, great to quickly clean out a hole.

us Offline gregpost

Reply #37 on: December 19, 2017, 07:38:27 PM
I would actually like to see them improve the Wingman/Sidekick format. This tool is very useful in the real world with a good design basis to make it even better. They could do 4 outside tools, they could improve the pliers for better cutting, refine the scissor, they could even go locking in the future for the inner tools. It seems they went mostly in the wrong direction with the Rev, who's to say they won't improve one of their most popular and well reviewed product lines in the future.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 07:47:35 PM by gregpost »

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #38 on: December 19, 2017, 07:51:33 PM
I’d like a bladeless Juice. Remove the Philip’s screwdriver and put in a bit holder. Remove a couple of the small flat head screwdrivers and put in Wave scissors. Also, just remove the outside tools and make it TSA/no knife areas friendly. Just dreaming though...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ca Offline GuacamoleBay

Reply #39 on: December 19, 2017, 09:50:46 PM
Have the wire cutters on the skeletool a millimetre or two longer, because right now they're *just* too short to cut standard zip ties

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #40 on: December 20, 2017, 04:15:45 AM

Certainly something could fit in there. Even just a needle would be a nice use of space. Victorinox does it with reamers and blades. Why not a small serrated blade? Like on the Sidekick or the Boker tech tools. Maybe even tweezers.  :salute:

it Offline balvenie

Reply #41 on: December 20, 2017, 01:16:49 PM
Wave gen III: drop the scissor outside, the file inside, add an awl and a pair of tweezers. A bit restyling and we have the new Wave without changing it radically!
I have nothing against corkscrew, i'm Italian!!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #42 on: December 20, 2017, 01:52:16 PM
Sorry about my ignorance but what is wrong with the pliers on the Wave or the Rebar???
Thank you.
Nothing wrong with them at all. Some, like me, love the new style plier head on the Rebar and hopes to see the Wave get this upgrade. Other love the old style or current style plier heads on the Wave. I can't blame them because it have worked for years with no problems and cuts wire fine. I like the new style because I cut a lot of wire and have worn out the cutters on my multitools and it is nice just to drop in new cutters instead of buying a new tool of finding a plier head to install.

Personally I wish LM would quit trying to make new stuff for awhile and just focus on there top heavy hitters. Just make them better here and there.
Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline GuacamoleBay

Reply #43 on: December 20, 2017, 06:05:25 PM
Wave gen III: drop the scissor outside, the file inside, add an awl and a pair of tweezers. A bit restyling and we have the new Wave without changing it radically!

Put a blade exchanger on the outside and I would be hard pressed to find a serious issue with it

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #44 on: December 23, 2017, 08:42:17 PM
I would LOVE a giant Surge-sized CRUNCH!   Exact same design but with a couple outside tools, And scaled up to a big 10-12oz MT.  :dd:

But what I really want is for Leatherman to surprise us all with something TOTALLY NEW.   Something that is really different and original.  That would be exciting!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: December 23, 2017, 08:49:52 PM
I would LOVE a giant Surge-sized CRUNCH!   Exact same design but with a couple outside tools, And scaled up to a big 10-12oz MT.  :dd:

But what I really want is for Leatherman to surprise us all with something TOTALLY NEW.   Something that is really different and original.  That would be exciting!
You mean like they did with the Tread?

th Offline Niro

Reply #46 on: December 24, 2017, 04:07:51 AM
I like to se a mini Rebar the size of a Juice. Or making the handles on a Squirt 1 cm longer but still with the same plier head, making the knife and the file a bit more useful and giving room on the inside for a 3d philip.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 04:09:43 AM by Niro »

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: December 24, 2017, 04:09:21 AM
Speaking of Signal - why would one need scissors on a tool designed specifically for use in the woods or on a trail? What is there you need to cut with scissors that you can’t use a knife for in those conditions? I have scissors on both Wave and Micra and tbh it’s my least used instrument
Dream. Wish. Leave nothing undone. Repeat.

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #48 on: December 24, 2017, 06:16:44 AM
I think people want scissors on the Signal to make it more versatile. Maybe they should make an Urban and Survival version ala Wingman and Sidekick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: December 24, 2017, 10:11:27 AM
Speaking of Signal - why would one need scissors on a tool designed specifically for use in the woods or on a trail? What is there you need to cut with scissors that you can’t use a knife for in those conditions? I have scissors on both Wave and Micra and tbh it’s my least used instrument
Cut band aid to size...

What I wonder more is, what would you need bits for :think:

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #50 on: December 28, 2017, 02:20:28 AM

You mean like they did with the Tread?

Precisely.  I don't expect EVERY YEAR to be groundbreaking, but the Tread and Signal were both shown at Shot Show 3 years ago!  That was a great year for Leatherman.   :ahhh

Since then it's been a bunch of old stuff with new color options etc.   :rant:

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: December 28, 2017, 08:30:47 AM
Cut band aid to size...

Well I use bits for dealing with trekking poles and gas cookers

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #52 on: December 28, 2017, 06:15:43 PM
Cut band aid to size...

Well I use bits for dealing with trekking poles and gas cookers

If I may play devil's advocate, do the fixed screwdrivers on most tools not cover those needs? I took the question more as why would you need so many additional drivers that the bits would be worth it in that usage.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: December 28, 2017, 09:32:11 PM
My personal take is that one would normally prefer sturdier tools on multitools destined for usage outdoors or in emergency situations and more versatile tools in urban or household situations. I have therefore in the recent past  proceeded to modify some of my LMs accordingly. That is, more fixed use tools on the outdoor or emergency set and more versatile ones (such as bit drivers and scissors) on the urban or household ones. This, together with local legal carry restrictions has in my case resulted in making non-OHO tools such as the ST300 and Rebar more versatile and the OHO tools such as Wave and Surge more rugged. YMMV, due to normally fewer and very occasionally (UK, EI, AU) more restrictions. I'd hope that in future LM would take into account these local oddities to a greater extent by offering more tool sets per basic platform...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 09:33:33 PM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #54 on: December 28, 2017, 11:50:01 PM
How about reintroducing the Juice KF4?
Or have the serrated blade replaced with scissors. Maybe screws instead of pins.

Yes. Many years later, and I still think this is a great idea.

And to keep re-living old dreams... I'd like to see a real tool-steel pliers on a Rebar or Wave.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #55 on: December 29, 2017, 01:52:17 AM
How about reintroducing the Juice KF4?
Or have the serrated blade replaced with scissors. Maybe screws instead of pins.

Yes. Many years later, and I still think this is a great idea.

And to keep re-living old dreams... I'd like to see a real tool-steel pliers on a Rebar or Wave.

Yep, I agree with both of these :D Good to see you NE :cheers:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #56 on: December 29, 2017, 04:02:38 AM
Has anyone figured out what the Leatherman Tecopa is going to be yet?
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #57 on: December 29, 2017, 04:28:31 AM

A Tread with blades.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: December 29, 2017, 04:32:01 AM

A Tread with blades.

A joke?...... Please?.....
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: December 29, 2017, 09:33:54 AM

A Tread with blades.

A joke?...... Please?.....
Made entirely of S95VN blades I’d say

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%