Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Looking for a Leatherman

Poll

Rebar vs Wave!

Rebar
11 (52.4%)
Wave
10 (47.6%)

Total Members Voted: 21

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Looking for a Leatherman
on: December 18, 2017, 05:57:18 AM
Alright you leather heads! I've been carrying a swiss army knife for about 1 year regularly and 7 years on and off. One thing I have to gripe about is if you want a wide tool selection you have to be prepared to carry a ridiculous looking brick with a Swiss cross on it :facepalm: so I'm turning to the dark side and looking at buying a Leatherman. So I'm starting a poll, Wave or Rebar?  :multi:
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: Looking for a Leatherman
Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 06:13:26 AM
I'm afraid I can't answer that without a lot more info.

What are your needs/wants? Is weight savings more important than wider functionality? Do you need the option for a pocket clip, or would you belt carry? Will it be paired with a SAK? Do you want one hand open blades? Will you be doing heavy wire cutting with it? Will you likely need a wide range of drivers?

Ounce for ounce, dollar for dollar, you get a TON of function from the Rebar. It's lighter than the Wave, but the wave is much more versatile, with its bit holders, and quicker to get to the blades, with one-handed open.

If I were pairing a SAK with a Leatherman, I think I'd go with the Rebar. I have never needed the one-hand open blade desperately, and only really use the philips bit on the bit holder. The small bit holder is something I've never needed on the Wave, and I'd rather have the scissors on a 91mm SAK than those on the Wave.

The saws on a 91mm SAK and full size Leatherman are about on par, so you could let either of the leatherman tools do saw duty, slimming the SAK you carried. Phillips on the Letherman is, IMO, better both than the t-handle one on a Tinker (for instance) or the inline on something like the scientist.

But, knowing nothing else, I say Rebar. But more info might change my opinion.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 07:19:50 AM
I'm sure I've said it more than enough on this forum, I'm a huge fan of the Wave  :D.  The honest truth tho is that you cannot go wrong with either.  The real question is BO or SS? 
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 07:44:31 AM
Spirit :whistle:

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 08:03:23 AM
I'm sure I've said it more than enough on this forum, I'm a huge fan of the Wave  :D.  The honest truth tho is that you cannot go wrong with either.  The real question is BO or SS?

Spirit :whistle:

Wave is one of the greatest MT ever made, the other one is Spirit, if you carry a folder along with it.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 08:04:31 AM by Kampfer »
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Captain Hook

Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 09:12:32 AM
I'm afraid I can't answer that without a lot more info
Well I just want a lightweight multitool that is sleek and can stand up to being my go to multitool for work, projects, and EDC. I'm okay with belt carry for either one, I used to dislike the idea beacuse I had my phone holstered on my left side and my pistol on my right. But I don't find myself carrying either on my belt that often these days so pouch carry is OK. One thing I like on the rebar over the wave is the awl. I can say many times an awl has come in handy for me. BUT as far as the only thing you need the wave has the appeal of the outside blades for quick access essentially eliminating the need of a folding knife that is why I'm torn...
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

de Offline leatherman-shop.de

Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 09:12:57 AM
Wave in SS - can't go wrong.  :tu:
multitools for the one leaving nothing undone

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 12:39:41 PM

Well I just want a lightweight multitool that is sleek and can stand up to being my go to multitool for work, projects, and EDC. I'm okay with belt carry for either one, I used to dislike the idea beacuse I had my phone holstered on my left side and my pistol on my right. But I don't find myself carrying either on my belt that often these days so pouch carry is OK. One thing I like on the rebar over the wave is the awl. I can say many times an awl has come in handy for me. BUT as far as the only thing you need the wave has the appeal of the outside blades for quick access essentially eliminating the need of a folding knife that is why I'm torn...

If you're going to carry a Leatherman along with your SAK I would say go for the Rebar, especially if  "lightweight and sleek" and having an awl are important to you.

I own both and even though I really like the Wave, it can't beat the combination of a SAK and a Rebar (or ST300) in my humble opinion  ;).

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 02:18:17 PM
my vote is Rebar, even more if paired with a SAK

:salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 02:21:57 PM
Rebar  :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 02:36:06 PM
Either one would be a great choice if you ask me :salute: but if I had to choose then it would be a Rebar :tu: Pair it with a Vic Executive and you have an awesome combo there :like:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 02:45:20 PM
If you want to carry only one then get the Wave. It has the saw, a file, scissors and a decent knife blade.  The Rebar doesn't have scissors so in my mind it must be paired with a SAK. Also the file on the Wave is much better than that on the Rebar.  My best suggestion, however, would be to get both and carry each one for a time and see which one suits you better.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: December 18, 2017, 02:56:45 PM
If you want to carry only one then get the Wave. It has the saw, a file, scissors and a decent knife blade.  The Rebar doesn't have scissors so in my mind it must be paired with a SAK. Also the file on the Wave is much better than that on the Rebar.  My best suggestion, however, would be to get both and carry each one for a time and see which one suits you better.

Of course :doh: The MTO motto :D

us Offline Glockfan

Reply #13 on: December 18, 2017, 05:43:18 PM
Both would be great options, but my vote is Rebar.

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: December 18, 2017, 07:20:31 PM
Never tried the Rebar but love the Wave so much I bought multiples for the cars and Emergency kit.

If you do get the Wave look into the bit extension and a set of bits. Works well for me. You can also get the pocket clip or keychain ring as well.

But if you get those accessories the standard pouch makes a tight fit if you have other things to include.  I’ve added a Pocket Wrench and a glass breaker. So you may need to invest in a larger pouch like a Skinth.

That was what made it fun for me, customizing the accessories and carry.

Good luck. Hope you share pics.

us Offline Captain Hook

Reply #15 on: December 18, 2017, 07:20:48 PM
I'm thinking a Rebar/Vic Cadet Combo..been hankering for an alox SAK for a while too
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 07:24:11 PM by _MattGyver_ »
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline gregpost

Reply #16 on: December 18, 2017, 07:56:39 PM
I just bought a Victorinox Outrider and was really excited because I like my EDC to have scissors and I like the larger sized SAKs. I have come to realize that I'm totally over Victorinox products that don't have one hand opening for primary EDC. Leatherman designs have spoiled my wants for EDC items.

I do carry a Rebar or ST300 when I go bike riding but that's more of a backup tool than first option EDC item. I would go Wave over Rebar if it's an EDC you want to use primarily. If you have another knife that is your first choice than that changes the equation somewhat.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 07:57:44 PM by gregpost »

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: December 18, 2017, 08:45:50 PM

Of course :doh: The MTO motto :D

:rofl:

Even better: buy both and mod by swapping tools, thereby ending up with a versatile Rebar and a rugged Wave. (Now if I only could remember where I've seen that done?  :think:)

:D
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: December 18, 2017, 10:50:12 PM
I vote Rebar.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: December 18, 2017, 10:55:45 PM
get a wave ,you won't be disappointed  :salute:
2017-11-13 12.14.32.jpg
* 2017-11-13 12.14.32.jpg (Filesize: 304.33 KB)

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #20 on: December 18, 2017, 11:43:16 PM
I love the old school style and function of the Rebar, but if I had to choose just one LM of the two?  Wave..all day. I edc a Wave over most other MTs and I own over a hundred brand name MTs. The Vic Spirit is a top ten, as well as the Rebar. But, the Wave is a top three.  :multi:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

ca Offline Justin Barylski

Reply #21 on: December 19, 2017, 12:48:21 AM
I know this isn't one of your options, but have you seen the butterfly style multitools Victorinox offers like the Swisstool or the Spirit? They are worth looking into at least...
However, out of the options you did mention, I would have to say get the Wave, Its one of Leatherman's best sellers for a reason
Proud SAKMC member

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #22 on: December 19, 2017, 01:15:48 AM
One more Wave feature. Loosen the pivot screws a tiny bit and the pliers are one hand opening with a little practice. Plus, on the subject, the Wave or Rebar can be disassembled for modding/cleaning (unlike a swisstool). :tu:

On a side note:
Sometimes I feel like the 'LM sub forum' should be renamed "get a swisstool/spirit instead sub forum". :facepalm:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #23 on: December 19, 2017, 02:30:32 AM
Rebar.

I have a first gen Wave, without the bit holder. The ergos are funny, especially on the thumb holes. I know the newer ones are bigger, but..
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #24 on: December 19, 2017, 02:47:41 AM
I carry a sak for EDC that has the inline philips like the Explorer but I do pair it with the Wave if I am going out hiking/biking or whatever.  To me that just makes sense.  I don't really care for scissors on a MT and like the blade, serrated blade, saw and file as the main four tools.  Either one would work and it is hard to beat the Rebar as it is a tough little tool and just pair it with a Classic on your keys or in your pocket for scissor's and you have it covered.  I like the Wave too as it has the pocket clip so if I want to just carry that like I do the sak I can.

Now I am switching it up and I am gonna try a Champion Plus on suspension clip and a P4 in my watch pocket   

I am probably in a minority here but I have never really been sold on the alox sak's cause I like the toothpick/tweezers.  I really do like the idea of the alox with the colors and tough as heck handles/scales but with the lacking of a mag lens/inline layer which I use alot, I just don't use the alox ones.

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #25 on: December 19, 2017, 02:57:38 AM
Only you can know for certain the best selection to fit your needs. 
Good advise extended, and best is to get both and try each along with your SAK.

Me, I am a tool freak, hand tools are required everyday for my work, and dedicated tools are relied on for their needs. At work my LMs are backup tools with blades fitting emergency needs, saving steps to and back from truck. 

If one is only in your budget, the Rebar makes most sense as it is about $30 less than the Wave.  If it works for you you saved $s.

I carry a SAK Vagabond and Rebar the most when away from work. 
A ST300 or Wave when on duty. Both sheath carried(not at same time)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: December 19, 2017, 08:27:57 AM
Rebar and Micra on keychain

Or

Rebar and Super Tinker in pocket.

With either of the scenarios above, I think you will have everything you need. And purchasing either combination is still less expensive than purchasing a Wave alone. As others have said, if you are carrying a SAK anyway, the Rebar is a good choice. I often carry my Rebar and Super Tinker or Mountaineer.

I do enjoy the one handed opening of my Surge, which is similar to a Wave, so I get that, but if you want tools, and not a tactical one handed knife...Rebar all the way

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: December 19, 2017, 08:42:32 AM
I'm thinking a Rebar/Vic Cadet Combo..been hankering for an alox SAK for a while too

I believe that this combo leads nowhere except duplicated tools. The Cadet adds nothing in terms of scissors and the nail file can be got from a $5 nail clipper. I will admit that the cap lifter/ bottle opener is much better on any SAK, all day every day compared to LM' s bottle opener.

Now if you ent Wave and Cadet, I'd say that makes more sense in terms of tool load out. Or Rebar and Super Tinker. At least then, you always have a saw and scissors as well as blades, can, bottle openers and screw driver assortment
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 08:43:52 AM by ThundahBeagle »

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: December 19, 2017, 08:58:44 AM

I believe that this combo leads nowhere except duplicated tools. The Cadet adds nothing in terms of scissors and the nail file can be got from a $5 nail clipper. I will admit that the cap lifter/ bottle opener is much better on any SAK, all day every day compared to LM' s bottle opener.

Now if you ent Wave and Cadet, I'd say that makes more sense in terms of tool load out. Or Rebar and Super Tinker. At least then, you always have a saw and scissors as well as blades, can, bottle openers and screw driver assortment

I'm the same as try not doubling up on tools,if carrying a MT  I usually want something that has all the tools I need  :tu:

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: December 19, 2017, 09:13:23 AM

I'm the same as try not doubling up on tools,if carrying a MT  I usually want something that has all the tools I need  :tu:

Hi Zed!

If I'm going with only one, it's my SURGE!!

And some suspenders...really, I could put on my pants and belt, and just have the Surge alone on a second belt. Kind of like that old TV show, The Rifleman, you know? Just take the SURGE!! down from on over the fireplace when things get serious

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%