Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lynn's $5 MT Challenge

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Lynn's $5 MT Challenge
on: December 18, 2017, 11:39:22 PM
The GODS ON HIGH, in their pink kayaks, have given me a quest. Verily!

Grant asked me to pick up on the '$X Challenge', to see what I, queen of junk drawer multitools, would come up with getting 10 multitools, each under $5.

This challenge is going to take a bit of time. Some I can get locally. Some are going to have to be gathered from the interwebs. Some might take some late night ninja hunting on the bay of E.

But I'm confident I'm up to the challenge.

I'll show you all what I got for the first part. What could be found locally.

First stop: A few days ago, I was cruising through my local Dollar Tree, looking for cheap and cheerful survival items from a dollar store, and noticed they had a swiss army style knife. 'Dubious' doesn't really do my feelings justice. I passed on it the other day, but now I've been CHALLENGED, and at $1 plus tax (grand total $1.09), that thing is IN.

Next stop, a local pawn shop. I've had good luck there, and recently scored a Victorinox Princess from there for $1. Today? Complete bust. Sad. A second pawn shop I go to often was also a no-go. They had swiss army style knives... for about twice what they cost new. (Sigh) Okay, shake it off, Lynn. You're a multitool hunting BEAST. Right!

The third pawn shop had a case of reasonable stuff, and two of them followed me home. Total was $4 each. Okay, literally $7.99 for both, so... half a cent less than $4 for each. But the guy said 8, walked off with my money and didn't give me my penny back. Smurfing penny thief!

I checked two consecutive Auto Parts stores. They each had one dinky multitool for $10, the kind usually marked at $5. Frustrating. But I move on.

My next stop was Home Depot. I was frankly shocked. No budget holiday Leatherman on offer at all? Wha..? That was a Holiday Tradition that was as sacred as 'Grandma Got Ran Over By A Reindeer.' Well... fine. There was only one other place in town for me look.

I know they have multitools.

They are THE soulless Corporate Monstrosity, and it hurts my heart to set foot in that wretched hive of consumerism.

Yeah... Walmart. (shudder).

But here's the truth, whether or not I like it. They have some multitools at under $5 that aren't complete garbage. And I got one of each, the SAK knockoff, and the plier based tool, both branded 'Ozark Trail'. $3.87 each, total $8.44 after tax.

That'll do for now. I'll post reviews on the tools individually, in their own threads, and link from this thread. Wish me luck. Finding those gems in a pile of garbage still requires one to crawl through the garbage. So... (sigh)... Here goes...

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: Lynn's $5 MT Challenge
Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 01:42:19 AM
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 01:58:58 AM
Yes!  I've always loved your threads like this Lynn, so I'm really looking forward to watching this one!

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 02:00:24 AM
Why do we find cheapos so exciting?  :like:

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 02:02:57 AM
Because sometimes they get shot by high powered rifles!  >:D

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 02:10:08 AM
Because sometimes they get shot by high powered rifles!  >:D
And get blown up by the U.S Military!  :D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 02:43:41 AM
Walmart has the Camillus Captor MT for $5 right now locally. You know it better as the infamous les straud (sp?) MT. Same tool, but $5. I bought one. It is god awful. :tu:
Their LED lighted OT is $5 right now as well. If you can find them. Seems they are selling out quickly for the holidays as gag gifts.  :rofl:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 03:22:36 AM
My first review is on the Dollar Tree 'Tool Bench Hardware' SAK-knockoff. Here's the link to that thread...
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75095.0.html

Thanks for the heads-up on other Walmart possibles.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 03:31:54 AM by Lynn LeFey »

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 06:54:55 AM
I thought I'd give an update, just not on a specific tool. Hubby's asleep, and I can't be banging around the house, testing tools. So, I'm surfing the net, and thought I'd give a look into the mind of a multitool-hunting net-ninja.

First... I can't come to any REAL conclusion that a little keychain grappling hook is a 'multitool'. That doesn't mean I'm not eyeballing it REAL HARD.  If Luke Skywalker has taught me nothing else, he's taught me that at least TWICE in a trilogy, you're going to need a grappling hook. :D

I can't help but think if this were a $10 challenge, it probably wouldn't be worth being in the 'Cheap and Cheerful' board. I'd go get  pile of used Victorinox knives and boom, done. :D

Might even be able to slide in a few Leatherman and Gerber items.

Why does it cost me $7 to ship anything ANYWHERE in the U.S. and you can get free shipping on sh!t from China?!?

More thoughts to come, I'm sure.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 12:38:56 PM
Great stuff so far Lynn :like: :like:

Can't wait to see which of these will reign supreme :D

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #10 on: December 19, 2017, 12:40:57 PM
I'm also following this thread with interest. Curiosity may be a better word.
I really don't know why but I agree with others on the threads about cheapos being exciting. Seems contrary to what a dedicated forum's view on these should be, but that is how it is.  :think:

Let's see what you manage to do with those!!  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 04:19:12 PM
Walmart has the Camillus Captor MT for $5 right now locally. You know it better as the infamous les straud (sp?) MT. Same tool, but $5. I bought one. It is god awful. :tu:
Their LED lighted OT is $5 right now as well. If you can find them. Seems they are selling out quickly for the holidays as gag gifts.  :rofl:
That would be so sweeet... a real competitor, not some knock off smurf :rofl:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 05:44:49 PM
On the Walmart website, the Camillus Captor is listed at $11.90. I didn't see any in the store, so don't know if they would be cheaper there.

I can say for certain that it's not exactly the same as the Engage. IT seems to have an awl or reamer. It also looks like the drivers don't have the wonky bend that the Engage had. Still, many shared components, I'm sure.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #13 on: December 19, 2017, 06:59:05 PM
I've started the thread for the second competitor. The Ruby scaled SAK-knockoff seen in the second pic of the first post.

Don't miss any of the exciting action in that thread as Lynn marvels at the ...uhh... tries not to put an eye out with the questionable quality of that tool.

'Ruby' small SAK Knockoff.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75107.new.html

« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 07:01:18 PM by Lynn LeFey »

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #14 on: December 19, 2017, 08:01:29 PM
I don't want this to seem like a shameless plug, but... meh.

I found an interesting way to get actual Swiss Army Knives for under $5 each (in the U.S.). Only one catch... you have to get 5 of them. They'll all be 2 layer models. Choices are Victorinox Spartans, Tourists, Recruits, and Wenger Commanders.

So... up in the upper right hand corner to this site is a link to 'MTO Store'. On that site, look under 'Used Items'. Select the models you want. With shipping to the U.S., 5 of them work out to under $5 each, $24.60 for the 5, or $4.92 each exactly (as of the time of this writing). 4 of them would be $21.44, or $5.36 each, JUST over the $5 limit. Your selection doesn't have to be 5 of all the same model, either. Get any combination of those you want.

I have gotten a fairly large number of used SAKs from Felinevet/MTO Store. Occasionally there are missing toothpicks/tweezers. Maybe not pretty, and usually in need of a little cleaning, but solid knives.

I kind of feel like I'm giving away one of my 'secret stash' hidden gems, but I thought this should at least be considered. If i fail to win an auction on ebay in reasonable time, I might fall back to this as a way to get a legit name-brand tool into the running.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #15 on: December 19, 2017, 10:52:06 PM
I was going to do the shameless plug, but as you beat me to it.... here's the link:

https://store.multitool.org/departments/-102victorinoxwenger-models-2layer-141.html#/39-knife_type-victorinox_spartan

Yes, this is probably the best deal on a $5 you are going to get, but I am very interested in seeing what other cool stuff you come up with.   :tu:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #16 on: December 20, 2017, 07:47:10 AM
In digging through ebay for bargains, I have come across the greatest named tool ever.

"Multifunctional Anti-Explosion Plier"
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Multi-tool-Knife-Survival-Tool-Pliers-Set-Adjustable-Wrench-Jaw-Screwdriver/263387109941?epid=15010814941&hash=item3d53185a35:g:80QAAOSwIJlaJOBL

:rofl:

It is, of course, a knock-off of the Gerber Multi-Plier MP600 DET.

But that is the best name ever.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: December 20, 2017, 08:03:01 AM
In digging through ebay for bargains, I have come across the greatest named tool ever.

"Multifunctional Anti-Explosion Plier"
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Multi-tool-Knife-Survival-Tool-Pliers-Set-Adjustable-Wrench-Jaw-Screwdriver/263387109941?epid=15010814941&hash=item3d53185a35:g:80QAAOSwIJlaJOBL

It is, of course, a knock-off of the Gerber Multi-Plier MP600 DET.

But that is the best name ever.

I would be laughing, but I bought one of those fakes eons ago and recently tried to use the combo blade on a beater MP600(keep in the car) to replace a broken wharncliffe blade. I went to drill out the tang hole and burned up a cobalt drill bit trying to open it to fit the Gerber pivot pin. I was using cutting fluid as well! The steel is actually VERY well heat treated. Surprised the smurf out of me! The file was the same way, as well as the "C4" spike. The drivers are soft though.

Anti-Explosion MAY be correct. At least for the spike, blade, and file. :rofl:
That drill bit costed me about $18. Twice what it would have costed to send the 600 back to Gerber. :facepalm:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #18 on: December 20, 2017, 08:09:39 AM
Oh... you HAVE one of those Chinese knock-offs? Hey... uhh... you maybe interested in selling it to me for $5?  Still looking for a couple more tools for this challenge. :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: December 20, 2017, 03:54:56 PM
Oh... you HAVE one of those Chinese knock-offs? Hey... uhh... you maybe interested in selling it to me for $5?  Still looking for a couple more tools for this challenge. :D
PM sent about the fake gerber det.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: December 20, 2017, 06:15:52 PM
:popcorn:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #21 on: December 20, 2017, 06:53:24 PM
Somewhere, on a slow boat from China, is a Multifunctional Anti-Explosion Plier on its way to this very challenge! :D

Thank you, gerleatherberman!  :drink:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #22 on: December 20, 2017, 07:16:37 PM
Somewhere, on a slow boat from China, is a Multifunctional Anti-Explosion Plier on its way to this very challenge! :D

that ought to be funny.   :tu:
Mine didn't last a year...under normal use   :rofl:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: December 20, 2017, 10:04:53 PM

You're very welcome Lynn!
BUT, they are not coming from China. They have already made their way to California from China. Should arrive Dec 26th-Jan 3rd. :tu:
I say "they", because I ordered another for myself going to my adress. Haha Yours is shipping straight to your address though. You'll likely get yours before I get mine, but it won't be long. Muwhahaha

The $8 version we saw comes directly from China from what I can tell. The guy in Cali prolly bought hundreds for $3 each and sells them for $11 using $3 postage.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: December 20, 2017, 10:48:03 PM

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #25 on: December 20, 2017, 10:52:51 PM
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: December 20, 2017, 10:53:34 PM
Unless there is a cabalas around

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #27 on: December 20, 2017, 10:56:17 PM
There is a Cabela's in the metro area, but about half an hour from me.

The problem is... I've had one of those things before. If it's the one I remember, it literally fell apart on me.

Still, It should be considered.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: December 21, 2017, 02:05:25 AM
https://www.gun.deals/node/507586
That site should be ashamed to sell that. Cabela's should be ashamed to put their name on it.
But, Lynn should be proud to 'test' one. :rofl:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #29 on: December 21, 2017, 06:52:05 AM
That site should be ashamed to sell that. Cabela's should be ashamed to put their name on it.
But, Lynn should be proud to 'test' one. :rofl:
Why do you all hate me? Why does my suffering amuse you so? :rant:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56