Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lynn's $5 MT Challenge

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: Lynn's $5 MT Challenge
Reply #30 on: December 21, 2017, 07:06:36 AM
That site should be ashamed to sell that. Cabela's should be ashamed to put their name on it.
But, Lynn should be proud to 'test' one. :rofl:
Why do you all hate me? Why does my suffering amuse you so? :rant:

:rofl:
It is not so much the suffering(which is amusing in the context that you're known for setting out to truly "test" these cheap MTs). But, you just put your MT misery into a more humorously eloquent and descriptive form than most people would. I had the best time laughing at the way you made sure Les Straud knew the MT his name is on was garbage. I'm surprised he did not personally thank you for that. :rofl:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #31 on: December 21, 2017, 07:42:49 AM
I thought I'd give you all a glimpse of things to come.

I just won a bid on 2 Vic Classics for $9.24 with shipping on ebay. Or $4.62 each. One of them will be a contender. The other... will probably go on my keychain for a while, then get given to some poor multitoolless soul.

Two other items I've ordered...

A Swisscard knockoff I found on Amazon for $3.58

And another card tool, from Aliexpress for $2.30

The original idea was 10 tools for $5 each. But as some of these are a fair amount under $5, I will try to get as many tools as possible for the allotted $50. So, I'll go over 10 tools by some measure.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #32 on: December 21, 2017, 07:49:45 AM
All of the tools listed so far, plus $5 for the Gerber MP600 knock-off and $5 for another tool I've picked up bring my total thus far to $38.03, if I did my math right.

I'll be able to manage at least two more tools. MAYbe 3. We'll see.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #33 on: December 21, 2017, 10:46:42 AM
You're buying a fake gerber for $5 from someone who has to buy it for $11 and forward it to you?

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #34 on: December 21, 2017, 02:23:51 PM
This is Good.  I generally acquired most of my cheap and cheerfuls when I didn't have options, usually when I was going to be away from home for a whole weekend of drunken debauchery, scented with regret and shame Bible study and quiet contemplation, and somewhere about 40 miles from home I'd realize I'd forgotten a knife or multitool and I'd buy whatever I could find in whatever was open on the side of the road.  So, what I would like to know from your testing is if any of these would be good enough to be your only tool for, lets say 2 or 3 days?

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #35 on: December 21, 2017, 04:25:42 PM
You're buying a fake gerber for $5 from someone who has to buy it for $11 and forward it to you?

I saw no rule against it. :D
In all truth, I found it at its lowest at $7.50 new. I'm sure given a bit of time, I'd have found one used for $5. And I DID offer to buy the one gerleatherberman beat up in a mod attempt. So... yeah, I'm okay with this.

This is Good.  I generally acquired most of my cheap and cheerfuls when I didn't have options, usually when I was going to be away from home for a whole weekend of drunken debauchery, scented with regret and shame Bible study and quiet contemplation, and somewhere about 40 miles from home I'd realize I'd forgotten a knife or multitool and I'd buy whatever I could find in whatever was open on the side of the road.  So, what I would like to know from your testing is if any of these would be good enough to be your only tool for, lets say 2 or 3 days?

Wow. That is maybe one of the best statements on a real reason an average MTO reader could actually use a review of bargain tools. Sometimes we're forced to improvise. Maybe I should add 'ubiquity' as part of the reviews. That is, how likely are you to be able to replicate the purchase? Any other thoughts on what you might want to know, from a 'gotta grab one ASAP' perspective? I DO mention whether the blades come sharp right out of the package, which to ME, is a major issue.

Zoidberg, the 'ubiquity' thing I mentioned above would also be a factor in replicating the purchase of the gerber knockoff at the price I'm getting.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 05:14:15 PM by Lynn LeFey »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: December 21, 2017, 04:35:34 PM

I saw no rule against it. :D
In all truth, I found it at its lowest at $7.50 new. I'm sure given a bit of time, I'd have found one used for $5. And I DID offer to buy the one gerleatherberman bat up in a mod attempt. So... yeah, I'm okay with this.

Zoidberg, the 'ubiquity' thing I mentioned above would also be a factor in replicating the purchase of the gerber knockoff at the price I'm getting.
Its the same for the used Vics, no?

It will be kinda interesting to see, if you are better off buying a second-hand Vic (that might have gone through some abuse) or a new knock-off.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #37 on: December 21, 2017, 05:18:35 PM
It will be kinda interesting to see, if you are better off buying a second-hand Vic (that might have gone through some abuse) or a new knock-off.

I asked this question once before, in 'Good and Used versus New and Crappy' back at the beginning of 2013...
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,42133.0.html

That was asking for opinions. I've never actually tested it. We'll see how it works out.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #38 on: December 21, 2017, 05:35:39 PM
on the Gerber MP600 fake, please do NOT use the EOD spike as an icepick or to stab/perforate thick material, it folded on me and punched a hole through my jacket sleeve just a few millimeters from my forearm.    :oops:
I was lucky not to end in the ER with a big hole in my arm

And I bent the can opener trying to open a can of Navy beans. Just saying   :whistle:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #39 on: December 21, 2017, 06:12:16 PM
Thanks for the safety warnings. :D

Our next contender is the Walmart 8 Function Multitool (SAK knockoff). Coming in at $3.87 ($4.22 for me with tax) brand new. Jeez, I've about had my fill of SAK knockoffs. But this one seems to have some promise. Link to the testing thread...
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75140.new.html

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #40 on: December 21, 2017, 06:52:05 PM
zoidberg,

I was going to sell Lynn the fake det, but realized it is too badly damaged to do testing on and even less safe than it was new! I would have taken $5 shipped for it, but that wouldn't have been much fun, now would it?
And...and...and...I HAVE seen those fake DETs for $5 shipped when it wasn't holiday season. It counts! :tu:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #41 on: December 22, 2017, 01:08:53 AM
I just thought I'd add some more thoughts from searching ebay.

There are a LOT of people who can't spell 'victorinox'. I suspect that could be to my benefit.

I've also found things being sold with 'letherman' in the description.

'Leathermen', however, gets COMPLETELY different results. :D

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #42 on: December 22, 2017, 06:55:12 AM
 :facepalm: "Leathermen."  Thanks Lynn, now I have to try to go to sleep tonight with an image of the Village People singing YMCA running in my head.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #43 on: December 22, 2017, 07:23:49 AM
:facepalm: "Leathermen."  Thanks Lynn, now I have to try to go to sleep tonight with an image of the Village People singing YMCA running in my head.

Full point to Lynn.  :rofl:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #44 on: December 22, 2017, 03:11:27 PM
back the when I used to search intensivey for used tools on the net, I always searched for
"Victorinox", then "Vitorinox",
 on Spanish websites and Apps for used stuff, as the name "Victor" is often misspelled and mispronounced as "Vitor" in most of Spain, especially rural areas and small towns or by old(er) people. I've found amazing things that way  :rofl:

and then "Leatherman" it's also often written down or announced as "Lederman" which is the exact, directly-translated and pronounced word for "Leatherman" as we don't have any of those two words here so even when people read Leather-man they don't usually know what does it mean, so they go by pronunciation
and so you often get as many results or more by searching for the wrong term   :ahhh
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline gregpost

Reply #45 on: December 22, 2017, 05:01:02 PM
I always see cheapo multitools in places like Ross, Bealls Outlet, Tuesday Morning, Burlington, Big Lots many sub $5. Don't know if any of these are local to you but they're basically chain outlet/discount stores.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 05:11:54 PM by gregpost »

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #46 on: December 22, 2017, 05:22:03 PM
and then "Leatherman" it's also often written down or announced as "Lederman"

This did get me a few hits on ebay. Thanks for that tip. I would have never thought of that.  :salute:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #47 on: December 22, 2017, 05:46:59 PM
Just won another lot on ebay for $20, shipped.

3 swisscard blades, 3 Vic Classic SDs, A Vic Tourist, a Wenger Evo 10, and an... unidentified but good looking equivalent to a Climber.

Still working on how to divide cost among individual items in a mixed lot but I think the plan is find the best cost I can for the item new, and use that to determine the 'share' of the item in a used lot. Looks like each blade is $4 new. Each Classic is $10 new, A Tourist is $19 new, an Evo 10 is $24 new, and a Climber (closest equivalent I can find) is $26 new. Added together gets me $111. 20/111 is ABOUT .18. So 18 cents on the dollar of new cost, making each blade $.72, Classics $1.80, Tourist $3.60, Evo 10 $4.32, and The Climber Equivalent $4.68. That makes them ALL eligible for use.

I'll also be using the $1.80 price on this Classic from this lot, instead of my previous $4.62 I managed in posts above.

This is, IMO, a REALLY good deal on this lot. So... how did I do it? As mentioned a few posts back, I was searching for misspellings of 'Victorinox'. With the spelling 'victronox', this lot came up. I ASSUME this guy had posted this lot before, because he had it at $25 or best offer. I offered $20 and he accepted.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #48 on: December 22, 2017, 09:18:42 PM
I always see cheapo multitools in places like Ross, Bealls Outlet, Tuesday Morning, Burlington, Big Lots many sub $5. Don't know if any of these are local to you but they're basically chain outlet/discount stores.

I checked a local Big Lots, and all they had were two Swiss Tech tools, and both were over $8. Thanks though, and the hunt will continue.

us Offline gregpost

Reply #49 on: December 22, 2017, 09:41:47 PM
I'm enjoying your journey.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #50 on: December 22, 2017, 11:46:52 PM

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #51 on: December 23, 2017, 02:08:12 AM
That site should be ashamed to sell that. Cabela's should be ashamed to put their name on it.
But, Lynn should be proud to 'test' one. :rofl:
Why do you all hate me? Why does my suffering amuse you so? :rant:

:rofl:

It just does :dd: :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #52 on: December 23, 2017, 02:08:46 AM
It has been great following these reviews of the cheapos :salute: :like:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #53 on: December 23, 2017, 11:55:23 AM
It has been great following these reviews of the cheapos :salute: :like:
Yep.. I'm glad I can get a Vic in good shape for 5$ :D
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #54 on: December 23, 2017, 05:46:07 PM
I just finished testing on the Walmart Ozark Trail 8-function knife. As of this moment, it leads the pack in $5 tools.

Here's a link to that review again, for you lay bums that don't want to scroll up through the thread. :D
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75140.0.html

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #55 on: December 23, 2017, 08:38:55 PM
Next contender for best $5 MT is a no-name PST Knockoff. Here's the thread to my review of that tool.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75161.new.html

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #56 on: December 23, 2017, 08:50:52 PM
Sorry, I made a post to the wrong thread here. Message deleted.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 09:17:09 PM by Lynn LeFey »

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #57 on: December 24, 2017, 03:10:27 AM
Okay, I think this is going to be the last competitor. I found this delightful lil guy at a local pawn shop yesterday.

It's stamped 'Mountain Quest' on one side, and 'Helena' on the other. A little searching online and I see a lot of 'Mountain Quest' tools marketed by 'Kutmaster'.

With tax, it was dead on at $5. The tool was marked at $5, but the guy brought the price down to be a total of $5 when presented with cash.

So, there's another tip for hunting for MTs for cheap at pawn shops. Take cash, it might save you a bit.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #58 on: December 24, 2017, 06:47:25 PM
And I've begun the review of the tool seen above. Here's the link to the Mountain Quest keychain multitool.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75169.new.html

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #59 on: December 25, 2017, 05:00:08 AM
And the NEXT contender: Walmart's Ozark Trail 12-in-1 Multi Tool. Here's a link to that review...
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75175.0.html

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD