Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lynn's $5 MT Challenge

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: Lynn's $5 MT Challenge
Reply #60 on: December 25, 2017, 10:02:25 PM
And now for a moment of solemn contemplation.

Behold, the Canopic Jar of Financial Frugality.

The Reliquary of  Questionable Inoxidability!

Yes, sealed with the holy relic, The Scissors Of Stroud!

Also known as the peanutbutter jar I'm keeping the $5 Challenge contestants in.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #61 on: December 26, 2017, 12:51:31 AM
Here's a link to the thread on Used Vic Classics I got for the challenge.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75187.0.html

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #62 on: December 26, 2017, 01:24:48 PM
Yes, sealed with the holy relic, The Scissors Of Stroud!

Les also broke of his.  Maybe they should make them removable. :rofl:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #63 on: December 27, 2017, 01:35:12 AM
Well, I said in my review they kept stabbing me. Might as well put them to use stabbing something ELSE. :D

So, the lot of knives I won on ebay arrived today.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. Several of the knives were in pretty questionable condition. On one side, that doesn't make me happy, but on the OTHER, it really opens up the discussion about used tools. And one of the points I'd cover is that a lot of used tools you can find for good prices are going to require some service when you get them. That's just reality. In mine, all of the little 58mm knives were reluctant to open. The Wenger was a little sluggish opening and no snap closing. The black knife (which I'll identify later) was alright for opening the tools, but had a good deal of grime. The Vic Tourist was completely welded shut. I could barely move the small blade, and just managed to open the corkscrew. Nothing else would budge. Oh... and the whole pile smelled like an ashtray.

Now, you young'ins sit back and let me tell you how MY elders taught ME how to clean Swiss Army Knives... right here on these boards... a few years ago.

So, first thing is to gather up your cleaning supplies.

Not shown but still very important is a roll of paper towels.

Into a hot bath with Dawn dish detergent they go. Let those things soak for a bit.

After soaking, this is what the water looked like...

Rinse thoroughly, and shake dry. At this point, there was good tool 'snap' opening and closing all the 58mm knives, the Wenger, and the Black knife. The Vic Tourist remained crusted shut. It went back into the bath for another round. I don't know what happened to it, but there was a lot of whitish powder on the aluminum scales, so I assume something corroded the aluminum a bit.

Next step is to hose those babies down with that WD40. The 'WD' in WD40 stands for 'Water Displacement'. While that's not the only thing it does, it does displace water VERY well. Stick the little nozzle into the toothpick and tweezer holes in the scales when you do this, as well as pivots.

Towel them off, and lubricate. I use 3-in-1, but if you plan to use them with food, then use mineral oil. And there you are.

The Tourist works now. Not as much snap as I'd like, but opens and closes without great effort.

The black knife? That's an Aitor, a Spanish made tool. Stamped with 'Police' on the scale, and has a toolset like a Victorinox Fieldmaster.

Someone didn't open the saw for the ebay pic. ThePeacent should be happy that an Aitor made it into this test, paired against a Vic and a Wenger. In fact, it's such a nice tool with so many functions, I think it's going to be a real contender for taking the $5 Challenge. I've seen you talk about Spain being proud of the Aitors. And I think you should be.  :tu:

EDIT: Crap, forgot to extend backside tools on the Aitor: Phillips and awl.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 02:11:53 AM by Lynn LeFey »

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #64 on: December 27, 2017, 02:22:20 AM
Some additional identification for the record on the above lot of knives. The Wenger is an Evo 10.

While the three 58mm Vics all LOOK like Classics, one of them is actually a Bijou. BIG difference... no lanyard ring. :D
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 03:02:26 AM by Lynn LeFey »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #65 on: December 27, 2017, 02:31:40 AM
this is getting very onteresting  :salute:
and I've also found on occasion how bad tools can come from the seller, that not being apparent in the pics or the seller's description  :oops:

but these seem to be doing good
As for the Aitor, I'll just say that I've found their scissors quite lacking (in my uses, that is, and for my cutting needs  :pok:) and their saws, while not wide (that is, thin from teeth to spine) cut quite well, maybe not SAK well but decently.
Their cales pop off really easy too, but that might be because my 4 Aitors were all previously used, owned and carried (and thus worn)

Looking forward to it!!  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #66 on: December 27, 2017, 02:36:36 AM
If you have any way of figuring out the name of the Aitor model, I'd super appreciate it. My googling failed me.

EDIT:

In the long post above, about the ebay lot, I said I learned SAK cleaning just a few years ago here on these boards. And this is the exact thread, 'Cleaning an old vic?'
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,37114.0.html

This forum is always a great place to learn new things. I still appreciate all the assistance the kind folks here give. :salute:
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 03:17:23 AM by Lynn LeFey »

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #67 on: December 27, 2017, 05:54:37 AM
I couldn't decide if I wanted the Tourist or Evo 10 to be the official contender between those two, so I'm going to test them head to head, and let the winner 'advance'. Here's the thread comparing them.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75206.new.html

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #68 on: December 27, 2017, 02:41:06 PM
Some additional identification for the record on the above lot of knives. The Wenger is an Evo 10.

While the three 58mm Vics all LOOK like Classics, one of them is actually a Bijou. BIG difference... no lanyard ring. :D

well you've got an old Aitor there, no longer made.
It belongs to the Serie Negra (Black Series) and it's their version of the Vic Huntsman . The Black Series were aimed at military, LEOs and non-civilians, and thus better quality and rarer. Some were Military Issue in the 80s.  :tu:

Yours is a particularly rare model, without a name on its own, belonging to the "278" sub-series.  :salute:
The closest I can give you is the 278.190 model, which is essentially a stag-handled version of yours:

https://www.filofiel.com/tiendaonline/aitor-278190-ciervo-p-12738.html?zenid=ff60b5268c322169291f3965a4071929

all the bail-ring models and all the black series were made before 2002, when the brand got sold, changed owners and production moved to China (that was  :facepalm:)
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #69 on: December 27, 2017, 02:49:38 PM

It belongs to the Serie Negra (Black Series) and it's their version of the Vic Huntsman . The Black Series were aimed at military, LEOs and non-civilians, and thus better quality and rarer. Some were Military Issue in the 80s.  :tu:

Yours is a particularly rare model, without a name on its own, belonging to the "278" sub-series.  :salute:
The closest I can give you is the 278.190 model, which is essentially a stag-handled version of yours:

https://www.filofiel.com/tiendaonline/aitor-278190-ciervo-p-12738.html?zenid=ff60b5268c322169291f3965a4071929

all the bail-ring models and all the black series were made before 2002, when the brand got sold, changed owners and production moved to China (that was  :facepalm:)

What a score, Lynn!  :like:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #70 on: December 27, 2017, 02:59:38 PM

What a score, Lynn!  :like:

Very cool info. Thank you, ThePeacent!  :salute:

I spent another couple hours last night trying to find anything on this, and nothing was popping up. I could find ONE picture of another black-handled Aitor with the same tools, black scales, and bail, but it had a different style can opener.  Idon't know what the timeline is for their can openers but I've seen Wenger style, Victorinox style, and the sort of hybrid style that this one has.

In somewhat unrelated news, I'm developing a bruise under my right thumbnail, from repeatedly opening reluctant multitools All the tools in that ebay lot were stiff, but I think the Tourist is the real culprit.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #71 on: December 27, 2017, 08:38:03 PM
The Wenger Evo 10 has been selected to move on to official Contender status. The Tourist has been eliminated. Not that it's not a great knife, but I feel that these two knives are too similar to consider both.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #72 on: December 27, 2017, 09:13:20 PM
And here's the test thread for the Aitor Police Knife.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75210.new.html

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #73 on: December 28, 2017, 08:05:53 PM
And now, for something completely different.

The Wildcard contestant in the $5 challenge. I purchased this at an 'antiques mall' for exactly $5.

The A&J Can Opener. It counts as a multitool, because it ALSO opens bottles. :D
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75221.new.html

Here it is pictured with the Leatherman PST and a 91mm SAK for scale.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #74 on: December 28, 2017, 08:14:45 PM
Lynn,
You're in for a treat. Got my 'anti explosions pliers' today and they even say Gerber USA on them.  :rofl:
I won't give any spoilers, but DO get some tool oil out and ready for them.  :tu:

Yours should be there anytime now!
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #75 on: December 28, 2017, 08:18:45 PM
Lynn,
You're in for a treat. Got my 'anti explosions pliers' today and they even say Gerber USA on them.  :rofl:
I won't give any spoilers, but DO get some tool oil out and ready for them.  :tu:

Just got mail. Woot! They have arrived!  :mail:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #76 on: December 28, 2017, 09:12:25 PM
Lynn,

now that you've got all the real deals you had to start acquiring Chinese knockoffs    :facepalm:
My toys:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #77 on: December 28, 2017, 09:51:39 PM
now that you've got all the real deals you had to start acquiring Chinese knockoffs    :facepalm:

OOooohhh, no. This challenge STARTED with a chinese knockoff. I'm just carrying on deeply rooted traditions of cheap tool acquisition. :D

And, the review thread for the Gerber MP600 DET Knockoff 'Anti-Explosion Plier' has begun...
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75224.new.html

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #78 on: December 29, 2017, 08:27:00 AM
Eliminations!

Understanding that i still have two card-type tools to review, I thought I'd eliminate some of the competitors.

I figured I'd start by picking the best keychain tool, pocket tool, and full size plier tools.

Keychain tools
There are really only 2 tools that qualify as keychain tools. The Used Victorinox Classic, and the Mountain Quest

Testing thread on the used Classic...
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75187.msg1607086.html#msg1607086

And the thread for the Mountain Quest
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75169.0.html

Of these, I have to give it to the Mountain Quest. As much as I love the Classic, adding the additional weight for the Mountain Quest gets you a LOT more function.

Pocket Tools
For pocket tools, We have a pretty wide selection. The Dollar Tree SAK knockoff, the  'Ruby' small SAK knockoff, the Ozark Trail 8-in-1 knife, The Wenger Evo 10, and the Aitor Police Knife.

The Dollar Tree knife thread...
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75095.0.html

Thread for the 'Ruby' small SAK knockoff.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75107.0.html

The Ozark Trail 8-in-1 SAK knockoff test thread...
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75140.0.html

The thread for the Evo 10 (vs. Vic Tourist)
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75206.0.html

And the test thread for the Aitor Police knife.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75210.0.html

I'm afraid that this was, quite by accident, no contest. Minus the blades needing work, the Aitor was far and away the most useful SAK-like tool here.

Full Size Plier Tools
There were three competitors of this type, a PST Knockoff, the Ozark Trail 12-in-1 Multi Tool, and the Gerber MP600 DET knockoff.

Test thread for the PST knockoff.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75161.0.html

Test thread for the Ozark Trail 12-in-1 Multi Tool
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75175.0.html

And the final contestant in this category, the MP600 DET knockoff
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75224.0.html

This is a fairly close contest between the DET knockoff and the Ozark Trail, but I'm giving it to the Ozark Trail 12-in1.

The Wildcard
The last contestant (so far, with two yet to get to my door) is the A&J Can Opener.
The Test thread for it...
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75221.0.html

While an interesting bit of old tech, it's too close to 'single purpose' to REALLY compete as a useful daily multitool. It's also not great for carrying around. And it's rusty. And dangerous. :D

FINALISTS
The Mountain Quest keychain plier-based mini MT, from a Pawn Shop.
The Aitor Police knife, a beautiful piece from the mid-late 1970s, a lucky buy from a lot of knives on ebay.
And the Ozark Trail 12-in-1 Multi Tool, a full size plier-based multitool, with nice belt sheath, available new at Walmart right now.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 08:37:54 AM by Lynn LeFey »

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #79 on: December 29, 2017, 08:36:29 AM
And of the three?

THE WINNER
I think this pretty clearly has to go to the Aitor.

HONORABLE MENTION
BUT... as an item that anyone can get  (at least right now in the U.S.) , the Walmart 12-in-1 Multi Tool takes honorable mention.

STILL WORTH $5
I was perfectly happy with the Ozark Trail 8-in-1 SAK knockoff. Right out of the package, it was a good basic knife. The Mountain Quest keychain tool was worth $5 easily, and you will NEVER go wrong with a legitimate Swiss Army Knife, here represented by both a Victorinox Classic, and Wenger Evo 10. If you spend $5, and get a SAK in decent condition, you could have that knife for the rest of your life.

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY
The worst tools I tested was the $1 Dollar Tree knife, and the PST Knockoff. Not worth it. The $1 knife IS, IMO, worth $1. but at the $5 price range, you can do better.

So, that's it. given a little time, patience, and sometimes luck, you can get some pretty amazingly good tools for $5.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 08:38:47 AM by Lynn LeFey »

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #80 on: December 29, 2017, 08:49:00 AM
What's the takeaway on this?

I was asked if it's better to get good-and-used or New-and-cheap.

And the problem is this... That's a really hard question to answer. The Ozark Trail Multi Tool is good right out of the package. It's never going to be GREAT, but it's good. The Aitor was GREAT, but I had to essentially reprofile the blades. That's a skill (and some specialized equipment) that not everybody has.

On the other side of that, the Evo 10 was also used, from the same lot as the Aitor, and that thing was in essentially new condition. The blade was still super sharp. But that was one of 6 MTs in that lot.

The answer, TO ME, to this question is this: If you have the skill and the patience to put into cleaning/sharpening a used tool, it's going to be better to buy good-and-used. If you don't have the inclination or skill, then there are still decent tools to be had new-and-cheap.

I might not like Walmart as a business model, but they put out two GOOD inexpensive MTs this year, the 8-in-1 SAK-knockoff, and the 12-in-1 Multi Tool. BOTH worth the price.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #81 on: December 29, 2017, 08:52:58 AM
I've got a bunch of stuff going on over this weekend, New Years Eve, a Disc Golf Tournament on New Years Day, and my birthday on the 2nd. So, I might not be super active on responses to this and related threads for a few days, but wanted to thank you all who've been following and commenting on this and related thread.

And a final special thanks to Grant and MTO, who actually footed the $50 bill to buy these tools. If you like these sorts of crazy shenanigans, maybe consider donating the MTO to keep the lights on.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #82 on: December 29, 2017, 10:22:15 AM
Why do nice things come to an end?  :cry:

Thanks for doing these, and thanks to Grant for facilitating this.  I really enjoyed the tests and write-ups.  :tu:
Now, to find a black aitor for $5...  :rofl:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #83 on: December 29, 2017, 01:03:20 PM

Thanks for doing these, and thanks to Grant for facilitating this.  I really enjoyed the tests and write-ups.  :tu:
I kinda guess that is the point... second hand takes the win (provided you have some skills at restoration) but largely depending on availability. I bought a '64 soldier for a dollar (it has been used as a hammer  :-\, though it was still in good condition) and can get basic SAKs (2/3 layers) for 2-3$ all in good working order. But SAKs are really abundant here. I cannot get used pliers based MTs and no cheapos even close to 5$ new.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #84 on: December 29, 2017, 01:11:57 PM

I kinda guess that is the point... second hand takes the win (provided you have some skills at restoration) but largely depending on availability. I bought a '64 soldier for a dollar (it has been used as a hammer  :-\, though it was still in good condition) and can get basic SAKs (2/3 layers) for 2-3$ all in good working order. But SAKs are really abundant here. I cannot get used pliers based MTs and no cheapos even close to 5$ new.
None of both categories here...
Bought an older unused Mountaineer for €4 2 years ago. Didn't find any cheapos  since then.

I also noticed that alot of people here tend to look up a price online prior to selling something. But not with SAKs.
Then they're more like "it's a REAL swiss army knife!" And ask €5-10 for a scratched up Spartan :facepalm:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #85 on: December 29, 2017, 01:20:13 PM
This was a smurfin' good testing! :hatsoff:  :like:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #86 on: December 29, 2017, 02:22:04 PM
thanks a lot for the fun and interesting things you've shared with us in these threads.   :tu:
it's been an interestingly weird comparison, and I feel like this confirms that most times is preferable to get a "good one used" than a "very cheap but new" tool, especially if you're into restoring or can easily put them in working order.

I've acquired many of both myself and in the long run the restored but quality tools tend to outlast the others and get cherished/loved more as you build stories wand memories with them like the previous owner(s) did.  ::)
I can acquire a used Surge for $60 here any day, or a good working second hand Spirit for $50, something really nice if you are starting or really wanting to try out a quality piece

As for the aitor, I didn't doubt it woukd do good but as you stated it needed quite a bit of maintenance, the previous owner must've been quite unforgiving with it. Yet it still lasted and was able to get back to business. Try that with a $5 cheapo...  :ahhh

As for finding cheap Aitors, it's like quality SAKs and good Multis, keep an eye for long enough and you'll eventually find a gem at a very low price that the seller must think it's another dollar tree tool, or that just wants to get rid of it   :salute:
My toys:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #87 on: December 29, 2017, 04:53:42 PM

There's no need to say this is the end. It's just my 'official judgement'.

And that's not even 100% complete. I have tools that will arrive at SOME point for testing, and there is a (admittedly microscopic) chance that one of them actually knocks the Aitor out of the top slot.

I also love discussing this, so feel free to keep the comments flowing!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #88 on: December 31, 2017, 03:55:52 AM
I thought I'd share this. I think I mentioned at some point that I was breaking nails trying to get some of these tools open. I have really strong nails, and i don't keep them long.

Here's a look at my right, middle finger nail. Please excuse that my nails aren't nicely done. 'Cheap tool review' and 'manicure' are mutually exclusive concepts. Notice under the nail bed, the red marks, where the nail partially tore away from the nailbed. Very minor tear, but still. That's from trying to get the crusted-shut Tourist open, I think.

I suffer for my art.  :rofl:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #89 on: December 31, 2017, 05:10:31 AM
The battle scar of a cheap MT warrior! :like:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%