Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

PowerCut

J-sews · 14 · 3328

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
PowerCut
on: February 17, 2007, 04:33:55 AM
The new SOG PowerCut has a unique set of sidecutter/wirestripper jaws. I haven't seen anything like them before on a multitool. They look somewhat shorter than the regular SOG needlenose jaws. I wonder if shorter jaws leaves more room in the handles for longer blades?
PowerCut.jpg
* PowerCut.jpg (Filesize: 35.4 KB)
PowerCut1.jpg
* PowerCut1.jpg (Filesize: 45.37 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: PowerCut
Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 04:22:20 AM
I guess I hadn't noticed before, but there looks to be a small plier-jaw section just below the pivot points. (With plier teeth serrations)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 07:01:32 AM
Is that a full sized multi? 
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 12:36:40 PM
I think it's a full sized tool, but I doubt it has a bigger blade to accomodate teh smaller plier head.  SOG prides themselves on having implements that are interchangeable, and a larger blade would have to be unique to this model only.  That would increase costs and make it more expensive to change the blade out if it was damaged.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 06:26:00 PM
I agree. I'm thinking that SOG simply produced a new plier head for the PowerCut, then simply attached it to the regular PowerLock handles.

* SOGS68.jpg (Filesize: 13.86 KB)

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 11:21:34 PM
I'm thinking that would be perfect for opening the kids toys at Christmas.
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 01:51:26 AM
I'm thinking that would be perfect for opening the kids toys at Christmas.

Ooooh, yah! Freeing Barbie from her bondage would go a LOT quicker!   :)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 03:04:37 AM
Bondage Barbie?  So that's how she can afford the house in Malibu and the convertable...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline dcohalla@sbcgobal.net

Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 03:21:36 AM
Bondage Barbie?  So that's how she can afford the house in Malibu and the convertable...

Def

I thought that was "Divorce Barbie"....that's the one that comes with all of Ken's stuff.   >:D

Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 03:25:04 AM
Just out of curiosity...anyone else ever been a two-multitool carrying guy?  I have in the past carried a LM Pulse and a LM Crunch...to meet my work needs.  I used to do maintenance...and those two met just about every need I had.  Could carry way fewer tools in my bag that way...plus I usually had all I needed except for the larger jobs on me.  I'm beginning this plus an SOG EOD might be a nice carry combo.   ???

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 03:50:34 AM
I am thinking the same thing. Handy as the PowerCut would be for electrical work, I do not believe I could do without a set of pliers.

Carrying both multitools would take care of the problem.

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: March 05, 2007, 05:34:56 AM
dcohalla,

I sometimes carry a Spirit & a Charge.  The combo tools in those two were pretty versatile.

Tom

Offline damota

Reply #12 on: March 05, 2007, 04:00:59 PM
Just out of curiosity...anyone else ever been a two-multitool carrying guy?  I have in the past carried a LM Pulse and a LM Crunch...to meet my work needs.  I used to do maintenance...and those two met just about every need I had.  Could carry way fewer tools in my bag that way...plus I usually had all I needed except for the larger jobs on me.  I'm beginning this plus an SOG EOD might be a nice carry combo.   ???

I carry my modified MP600 Cable Cutter and (at the moment) a Freeman both with tool kits (18 bits all together). I am in the process of deciding between the Diesel or MP600 stub with carbon inserts (most likely end up with both) to replace the Freeman (tool selection is not to my requirements and hard to modify).

Dave

Reply #13 on: March 05, 2007, 08:45:02 PM
One problem I had with the Diesel was that since they redesigned it to have the handles a bit further apart when the pliers head is engaged, it makes it much more difficult to get a good, locking flip engagement of the pliers head.  I have to hold my hand just so when I "flick it"...or the pliers head only comes out a few inches, and then I have to do a 2nd or 3rd flick to get them totally engaged.(locked)  The older Gerbers were MUCH easier to flick out...just grab and flick.  I miss that.

ANother gripe I had with the Diesel is that it uses a "partial" phillips head screwdriver.  It's not really a 1/2, but it's not full...it works "okay"...but doesn't fit as good as the bit on a SOG.   :P
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 08:47:36 PM by dcohalla@sbcgobal.net »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD