Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why a serrated sheepsfoot?

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Why a serrated sheepsfoot?
on: September 19, 2022, 11:02:47 PM
 I'm looking at branching out past SAKs a bit, and stockmans have caught my eye. Visibly pleasing, that little curve to help get a good grip, three blades for different jobs without getting too crowded. You've got a clip point as your main blade. Good choice, versatile, pokey, good for detail work. And then you've got a sheepsfoot for when you don't want to be pokey, which is useful and a nice safety feature sometimes. Then you've got a spey (a fine all around blade) or an awl (to save you from damaging your "real" blades), again both good choices.

But I've seen a few that put serrations on the sheepsfoot, and that just strikes me as odd. I'm down for a nice serrated blade, helps for dealing with tough rope, food prep, etc. But why on the sheepsfoot? I'm probably not going to stab the spey through my hand if the knife slips, but it seems like it makes more sense to replace the "inbetween" blade (as the awl does) than the more specialized one. Is there a historical convention here? Am I overlooking an intended use? Did I just revolutionize the next generation of stockmans?

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Why a serrated sheepsfoot?
Reply #1 on: September 19, 2022, 11:25:19 PM
A serrated sheapfoot is not the norm in fact I don't remember ever seeing one on a Stockman   :dunno:

Got any pics of the knives your talking about ?

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 19, 2022, 11:32:34 PM
Here's an example from Schrade (out of stock, but pic is fine): https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SCH89OT/schrade-old-timer-delrin-blazer-stockman-pocket-knife-4-closed

There's a fair number from various companies floating around on ebay.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 11:38:09 PM by BPRoberts »

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 01:51:34 AM
I guess I have seen a Shcrade before with a SE .    :think:

Like I said it not the usual and most Stockmans don't have it so you have plenty to choose from with a PE Sheepsfoot   :tu:

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 20, 2022, 02:32:08 AM
Yeah, I'm not worried about it. Just seems like an odd design choice. I wonder if anyone has ever made one with the spey serrated.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 20, 2022, 02:39:10 AM
Yeah, I'm not worried about it. Just seems like an odd design choice. I wonder if anyone has ever made one with the spey serrated.

There's a Harley Davidson (and maybe Stanley version)  version of the Camillus 72 that has a serrated small clip.

I have this Stanley SL-10 (by Camillus also) with a serrated long spey.

The Case Trapper shown also has a serrated clip.

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 20, 2022, 04:12:06 AM
Before Schrade went out of business in 2004. They made the 89OT Blazer which was a 4" Stockman with a serrated sheepfoot blade. Why? I have no idea.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 20, 2022, 05:18:48 AM
Might be overthinking it.  I suspect the manufacturer was just looking for a way to differentiate the product a bit.  FWIW, I think the only serrated stockmans I own have partially serrated main clip blades.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%