Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Jansport Backpacks

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Jansport Backpacks
on: December 21, 2017, 06:40:15 AM
I've been scouring every imaginable budget location in my area for used MTs for a $5 challenge.

I have found some other amazing deals on stuff in the process. And in two locations on two consecutive days, I found Jansport backpacks for cheap. The one I found yesterday was $10, a Superbreak (25 L capacity, 600 denier), but today, I found a Trans (36 L capacity, 600 denier) for $3.

If you are looking for REALLY good quality light-duty backpacks, Jansports are awesome, and they have an amazing lifetime warranty.

I've carried a Ready model (31 L Capacity, 915 denier) for so many years now that i don't remember when I bought it, probably back in the early 90s. I have probably loaded 25-30 lbs of stuff into it before and carried it around for a few days like that. I'd trust the other two I got for 20 lbs easily.

Some preparedness folks go on and on about the 'grayman' approach in urban settings. You want to blend in in a city? Carry a Jansport. They are ubiquitous. Doesn't matter if it's got a screaming zebra pattern on it.

They are also large enough to build a good 'get home bag' around. And, as I've demonstrated, can be found cheap. I've never had one fail on me, and if it did, they'll replace it. They have solid, reliable zippers, straps, and grab handles, and just last. When you can find them used and cheap, they are even more amazing.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Re: Jansport Backpacks
Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 08:21:25 AM
Been saying for a while that a Jansport is the best 'grey man' bag possible. If I did backpacks I would have bought one a while back. In general, if you want to look be ignored and are under middle age, wear what the students are wearing. Whether a backpack or shoulder bag.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline redmond

Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 09:46:13 PM
My wife and I had matching Jansport backpacks in college - 45+ years ago. I guess the company has deep roots and times may not change as much as we think!
Greg
LM: PST II, Crunch (x2), Squirt, Micra, Skeletool, Rebar, Wave
SAK: Executive, Classic, Compact, Farmer, Fieldmaster, Huntsman, Explorer, SwissChamp, Climber, Camper, Pioneer, Pioneer X, Money Clip, Minichamp, Cadet, Super Tinker, Bijou, Excelsior, Swisstool, Wenger SGT Shortix  Plus, Traveler, Evo S18
 Gerber: Mr. Pinchy, MP600

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 11:23:44 AM
Been using a Jansport messenger bag every day for work for a good few years now (5+?) and it is still in good condition.  Even used it for carry-on luggage once.  I'd probably replace it with the equivalent if I seriously damaged this one.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 07:22:26 PM
I still think I have one around here somewhere but NEVER found one for the prices you have!  :)  If I did, I would get a new one and I agree they are very well built and make a great "grey man's" bag for sure!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 07:32:42 PM
I had a old backpack back in high school that my grandfather gave me, I want to think it was a Jansport but I’m not sure, but I sooo wish I could find another, that things was sooo great, it wasn’t to big which was great, but for those days that I had to bring a load of books home for homework, you could un-zip one or two zippers that went around the back section which expanded the load capacity, and I’d lug a good 20-30lbs of books on my bike, idk what happened to it, but that was great!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%